4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 - "Chronological" Mission Order

Spydr Webz

Looser3241
18 hours ago, BrandyNova said:

I thought I saw it in Chapter 4 once too, but wasn't recording at that moment so can't be sure 🤔

Haven't seen this one on chapter 4, tbh. Only on chapter 3. I assume it carries over to chapter 4 if you didn't do it in chapter 3

Edited by Looser3241

BrandyNova
10 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Hey. I recall the conversation but not which specific chapters it appears in sorry. I'm not too good with the campfire dialogue because most of the time when I play though I'm thinking about orders so I end up just having Arthur sleep until the next day and missing any dialogue like that ha.

Yeah I get ya.  I'm kinda drilling into details at the moment, and was focused on campfire dialogues.   There are quite a few good ones!

On 1/19/2022 at 8:08 PM, Alexlecj said:

I think it only occurs in chapter 3.

I've only seen it twice in all my playthroughs and both times were in Chapter 3.

2 hours ago, BrandyNova said:

Yeah I get ya.  I'm kinda drilling into details at the moment, and was focused on campfire dialogues.   There are quite a few good ones!

I always listen to campfire conversation if I see them in camp because Arthur always has a comment for them. 

Edited by Dan_1983

Chris_L456

So, for anyone following this thread closely, is the first post the agreed upon order, or has someone come up with something better in the 170 other pages since then?

In most cases, a “why don’t you look for yourself” might be warranted, but with 170 pages, I think it’s a fair question to ask (though I do plan on checking through the thread).

• Like 2

Chris_L456
On 1/18/2022 at 3:53 PM, Dan_1983 said:

Jack is John's son. I'm just stating that used to think for a while that Jack was Arthur's lol.

I mean, to be fair, it’s at least a possibility Jack isn’t his son. Why else would John have doubt about it in Chapter 2 if it weren’t at least a possibility?

She was a prostitute prior to settling down with John, which means the potential father could be countless white men she slept with (unless of course, it’s been clearly established she got pregnant after she had retired from that line of work).

I think it’s very possible she was passed around by the gang prior to settling with John, and, with Arthur being single (and their clear affinity for one another), it’s also likely they hooked up.

All speculation, of course. 

BrandyNova
4 hours ago, Chris_L456 said:

So, for anyone following this thread closely, is the first post the agreed upon order, or has someone come up with something better in the 170 other pages since then?

In most cases, a “why don’t you look for yourself” might be warranted, but with 170 pages, I think it’s a fair question to ask (though I do plan on checking through the thread).

Hi Chris! 

I think the first post is definitely not the agreed upon order for most of us!  😉

You could read all 170 pages, but you might end up more confused than before, especially when it comes to Chapter 2.  There is no ONE agreed upon order - there are several missions that could be swapped and still make sense.   A lot of it depends on your own preference and style.  But we all have our favorites.  And we've been tweaking it for a long while now, with every new order list making more sense than the last.   

@jimmyoneshot has done the most thorough work on the order and I use his list as the basis for my own, with a few tweaks along the way.  

I am working through Chapter 6 now, but so far am happy with it.  So here ya go, hope it helps:

Spoiler

Note: dotted lines indicate a new day

CHAPTER 1

- Outlaws From The West

- Enter, Pursued By A Memory

---------------------------------------

- The Aftermath of Genesis

- Old Friends

- Who The Hell Is Leviticus Cornwall?

- Eastward Bound

CHAPTER 2

- Who Is Not Without Sin

- Americans At Rest

- First Shall Be The Last

- Polite Society Valentine Style

- Money Lending and Other Sins 1 - 2

- Good Honest Snake Oil

- Paying A Social Call

- Exit Pursued

- A Quiet Time

- Blessed Are The Meek

- Spines of America

- We Loved Once and True 1 (Read Letter)

- Money Lending and Other Sins 3

- Pouring Forth Oil 1

- We Loved Once and True 2

- We Loved Once and True 3

- *Pouring Forth Oil 2 ( I skip this one, so I can get the additional dialogue with John, and to make it clear that Mary distracted Arthur)

- Pouring Forth Oil 3

- Fisher Of Men

- Pouring Forth Oil 4

- American Pastoral Scene

- Sheep and the Goats

- Strange Kindness

CHAPTER 3

- The New South

- Further Questions Of Female Suffrage

- American Distillation

- An Honest Mistake

- The Course Of True Love 1 - 2

- Money Lending And Other Sins 4 - Cutscene

- The Course Of True Love 3

- Advertising, The New American Art 1 - 2

- The Fine Joys Of Tobacco

- Horse Flesh For Dinner

- Magicians For Sport

- Money Lending And Other Sins 4 - Gwyn Hughes

- Preaching Forgiveness As He Went

- Friends In Very Low Places

- Sodom? Back To Gomorrah

- Home Robbery - Javier

- Money Lending And Other Sins 4 - Winton Holmes

- Blessed Are The Peacemakers

- A Short Walk In A Pretty Town

- Blood Feuds, Ancient And Modern

- The Battle Of Shady Belle

CHAPTER 4

- The Joys Of Civilization

- Angelo Bronte A Man Of Honor

- Fatherhood and Other Dreams 1

- Help A Brother Out

- Fatherhood And Other Dreams 2

- No, No and Thrice No

- Brothers And Sisters One And All

- Gilded Cage

- American Fathers 1

- Fine Night of Debauchery

- Horsemen Apocalypses

- Urban Pleasures

- American Fathers 2

- Country Pursuits

- Money Lending and Other Sins 5

- Revenge is a Dish Best Eaten

- Banking The Old American Art

CHAPTER 5

- Welcome to the New World

- Savagery Unleashed

- A Kind and Benevolent Despot

- Hell Hath No Fury

- Paradise Mercifully Departed

- Dear Uncle Tacitus

- Fleeting Joy

- A Fork in the Road

- Icarus and Friends

- That’s Murfree Country

CHAPTER 6

- Visiting Hours

- Just A Social Call

- The Course of True Love 4

- Rage Unleashed

- Archaeology For Beginners

- Honor Amongst Thieves

- Of Men and Angels

- Goodbye Dear Friend

- Fine Art of Conversation (once completed, Swanson and Trelawny will no longer be at camp)

- The Course of True Love 5

- Favored Sons

- King's Son

- Delights Of Van Horn

- Bridge To Nowhere

(camp until morning)

------------------------------------------

- ( Cleet and Joe appear in camp here )

- Money Lending and Other Sins 6

- Money Lending and Other Sins 6 - J John Weathers

- Money Lending and Other Sins 6 - Arthur Londonderry

- Money Lending and Other Sins 7

- Not Seek Absolution 1 - (only available if Arthur is honorable)

- Do Not Seek Absolution 2  - (only available if Arthur is honorable)

- Mrs. Sadie Adler Widow 1

- Mrs. Sadie Adler Widow 2

- My Last Boy (once is completed, Charles, Uncle, Mary-Beth, Karen, and Pearson will no longer be at camp. Charles is with the Wapiti Indians.)

- Our Best Selves

- Red Dead Redemption

• Like 3

luckycanadian95

Has anyone taken a look at newspaper unlock conditions? The red dead wiki has a list with every issue, not sure how accurate it is: https://reddead.fandom.com/wiki/Newspapers/Red_Dead_Redemption_2

@jimmyoneshot @BrandyNova your lists match up with the newspapers except for "The Bridge to Nowhere" (unlocks issue 9) and "The King's Son" (unlocks issue 10). I think that order works as long as "Favored Sons" goes before "The Bridge to Nowhere", to account for this dialogue:

• Dutch: "Come on, Arthur. It’s just tweaking Uncle Sam’s nose a little. I need you to help me." [Favored Sons]
  • Arthur: "Now, we gotta help Dutch give the army one final tweak on its nose." [The Bridge to Nowhere]
  • Like 2

BrandyNova
1 hour ago, luckycanadian95 said:

Has anyone taken a look at newspaper unlock conditions? The red dead wiki has a list with every issue, not sure how accurate it is: https://reddead.fandom.com/wiki/Newspapers/Red_Dead_Redemption_2

@jimmyoneshot @BrandyNova your lists match up with the newspapers except for "The Bridge to Nowhere" (unlocks issue 9) and "The King's Son" (unlocks issue 10). I think that order works as long as "Favored Sons" goes before "The Bridge to Nowhere", to account for this dialogue:

• Dutch: "Come on, Arthur. It’s just tweaking Uncle Sam’s nose a little. I need you to help me." [Favored Sons]
  • Arthur: "Now, we gotta help Dutch give the army one final tweak on its nose." [The Bridge to Nowhere]

Interesting, thanks Lucky.  I had not given any thought to the newspaper unlock conditions.    

The dialogue you mentioned is why I thought it makes sense to have  "Favored Sons" come before "The Bridge to Nowhere".     If I wanted to take the newspaper unlock order into account, then I would need to put both "The Delights of Van Horn" and "The Bridge to Nowhere" between  "Favored Sons" and "The King's Son" .    But I'm not sure I want to do that, as I figured rescuing Eagle Flies was more important - there was talk of hangin' him after all.

I guess the question is - how important is rescuing Eagle Flies to Arthur versus doing more of Dutch's dirty work?  And is there anything to support a couple of days passing (doing other missions) before we rescue him (other than the newspaper unlock)?

Edited by BrandyNova
  • Like 1

luckycanadian95
46 minutes ago, BrandyNova said:

Interesting, thanks Lucky.  I had not given any thought to the newspaper unlock conditions.    

The dialogue you mentioned is why I thought it makes sense to have  "Favored Sons" come before "The Bridge to Nowhere".     If I wanted to take the newspaper unlock order into account, then I would need to put both "The Delights of Van Horn" and "The Bridge to Nowhere" between  "Favored Sons" and "The King's Son" .    But I'm not sure I want to do that, as I figured rescuing Eagle Flies was more important - there was talk of hangin' him after all.

I guess the question is - how important is rescuing Eagle Flies to Arthur versus doing more of Dutch's dirty work?  And is there anything to support a couple of days passing (doing other missions) before we rescue him (other than the newspaper unlock)?

Yeah I think logic favours the order you already have. Plus at the end of "Favored Sons" Dutch says to Arthur "You rest up... then go meet [Charles] up at the reservation", so even Dutch thinks that Arthur should focus on Eagle Flies at that point. 

Just thought I'd mention the newspaper in case someone considers it hard evidence, but yeah it does seem like that order makes less sense 🤷‍♂️

These unique saloon conversations should be gathered up in my opinion. Each saloon has its own.

• Like 2

BrandyNova
57 minutes ago, luckycanadian95 said:

Yeah I think logic favours the order you already have. Plus at the end of "Favored Sons" Dutch says to Arthur "You rest up... then go meet [Charles] up at the reservation", so even Dutch thinks that Arthur should focus on Eagle Flies at that point. 

Just thought I'd mention the newspaper in case someone considers it hard evidence, but yeah it does seem like that order makes less sense 🤷‍♂️

Yeah thanks for mentioning it, I hadn't taken it into consideration at all!  I declare, there's always something, eh?!

I like "Even Dutch thinks Arthur should focus on Eagle Flies..."  😂

44 minutes ago, Sean800 said:

These unique saloon conversations should be gathered up in my opinion. Each saloon has its own.

I agree, that would be fun to see!  I've been noticing lots of those convos this playthrough, but never stick around long enough to really enjoy them.  

Edited by BrandyNova
  • Like 2

jimmyoneshot
13 hours ago, luckycanadian95 said:

Good idea Canadian. I think I remember this a while back but ye I think the issue is as you say Arthur most definitely references Favored Sons during Bridge To Nowhere with the "tweak on the nose line" which means Favored Sons must come before it combined with the fact that Dutch tells Arthur to go and rescue Charles i.e. King's Son at the end of Favored Sons meaning this order makes sense (with other missions and stuff in between):-

• Favored Sons
  • King's Son
  • The Bridge to Nowhere

However I have also thought about doing The Bridge To Nowhere between King's Son and Bridge To Nowhere on the same day as Favored Sons ends straight after it because as I recall Favored Sons ends pretty early in the morning so there is some time to spare before King's Son which is scripted for night time.:-

• Favored Sons
  • The Bridge to Nowhere
  • King's Son

The problem with this though is it requires Delights Of Van Horn to be done at some point earlier as that unlocks Bridge To Nowhere and doing Delights straight after Favored Sons is just too far out the way and makes little sense when Charle's mission is nearby, not to mention there is a delay after Delights is done until Bridge unlocks

And the issue with doing Delights Of Van Horn early on is that the dialogue at the start of that mission seems to suggest that the gang has already had encounters with the army with Micah saying they need to "create a diversion", "we need to keep the army out of here a few days" and "we need to confuse them one last time" which seems to be a similar reference to Favored Sons as the "tweak on the nose" one in Bridge To Nowhere too because Favored Sons is the only time the gang "confuse" the army.

You could of course try this all in one day:-

• Favored Sons
  • Delights Of Van Horn
  • (Something else while Bridge To Nowhere unlocks e.g. a part of The Veteran perhaps)
  • The Bridge to Nowhere
  • King's Son
  • Like 2

Chris_L456

@BrandyNova Thanks so much for the link to your preferred list! I’ve seen a lot of your comments and it’s pretty clear you have a strong grasp on the story, so I’m gonna follow your lead and use that list!

Thanks again.

SpaceBeagle

I want to thank all of you that are keeping this topic alive & vibrant, it is one of the most interesting on whole forum for me 🙂

I just love how you deconstruct and then reconstruct games narrative, trying to find new dialog lines and their purpose, connecting dots, after all this time.

Good narrative, written and/or visual, personally for me (& for what I like) is something that becomes such a rarity in games, movies and tv shows... no characters, just empty dialogs and flashy action everywhere 🙄

That said - I'm on my first ever story playthrough so I dont really read all of your writings, at least not in detail & I just glance over it this last week or so...  😁

I managed to stay away from main story all this years and I dont really know much about it, but unfortunately I could not avoid to see how everything ends as I bought & played standalone Red Dead Online last year, and YT algorithm pushed bunch of 'story specific' sad & crying videos ☹️. Good thing with that is that I'm now having freedom to explore this story-based world in detail and in a same way like 'chrono crew' here is doing, one random event or side mission at the time... no need to 'rush' on main story, that usual first time run to see 'how ends?' 😄

Main reason I'm writing here is that last weekend you all talked about relationship between Arthur and little Jack, about fatherhood, fishing & connected characters - at the same time as I had my fist real moments with two of them on Horseshoe Overlook, and also me finding out that Arthur had wife and son before 😢... it was emotional, not gonna lie. With all that I had my own connect the dots moment and I understood what is my "real story of Arthur" narrative going to be 🤗.

I tried to save this moment, and I' not very good in photography (real or digital), but I did made one that I really like - it is in a way inspired with fishing event I saw here (I didn't had it in game, yet)

...my Arthur had his first talk with little Jack, while preparing to leave camp, staring at distance and river below, remembering, and with silence Jack looking at him like he's asking "Are you coming back?".

spacer.png

(sorry guys for my off-topic detour, keep up your great work - one day I'll use it for my second 'timeline' type of playthrough 👍)

• Like 8

luckycanadian95
On 1/21/2022 at 4:35 PM, BrandyNova said:

Yeah thanks for mentioning it, I hadn't taken it into consideration at all!  I declare, there's always something, eh?!

I like "Even Dutch thinks Arthur should focus on Eagle Flies..."  😂

You're welcome, aha the evidence train never stops 😩

16 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Good idea Canadian. I think I remember this a while back but ye I think the issue is as you say Arthur most definitely references Favored Sons during Bridge To Nowhere with the "tweak on the nose line" which means Favored Sons must come before it combined with the fact that Dutch tells Arthur to go and rescue Charles i.e. King's Son at the end of Favored Sons meaning this order makes sense (with other missions and stuff in between):-

• Favored Sons
  • King's Son
  • The Bridge to Nowhere

However I have also thought about doing The Bridge To Nowhere between King's Son and Bridge To Nowhere on the same day as Favored Sons ends straight after it because as I recall Favored Sons ends pretty early in the morning so there is some time to spare before King's Son which is scripted for night time.:-

• Favored Sons
  • The Bridge to Nowhere
  • King's Son

The problem with this though is it requires Delights Of Van Horn to be done at some point earlier as that unlocks Bridge To Nowhere and doing Delights straight after Favored Sons is just too far out the way and makes little sense when Charle's mission is nearby, not to mention there is a delay after Delights is done until Bridge unlocks

And the issue with doing Delights Of Van Horn early on is that the dialogue at the start of that mission seems to suggest that the gang has already had encounters with the army with Micah saying they need to "create a diversion", "we need to keep the army out of here a few days" and "we need to confuse them one last time" which seems to be a similar reference to Favored Sons as the "tweak on the nose" one in Bridge To Nowhere too because Favored Sons is the only time the gang "confuse" the army.

• Favored Sons
  • Delights Of Van Horn
  • (Something else while Bridge To Nowhere unlocks e.g. a part of The Veteran perhaps)
  • The Bridge to Nowhere
  • King's Son

Good to know it's possible, I think that's a lot for sick Arthur in one day. Dutch tells you to rest before seeing Chares so maybe you're supposed to sleep until evening for King's Son. Not a fan of hopping back and forth between regions either even though it's unavoidable for some missions 😛

• Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 10:50 AM, jimmyoneshot said:

• Favored Sons
  • King's Son
  • The Bridge to Nowhere

• Favored Sons
  • The Bridge to Nowhere
  • King's Son

• Favored Sons
  • Delights Of Van Horn
  • The Bridge to Nowhere
  • King's Son

Nice order, but I'd spread that over 2 or 3 days rather than doing it all in one day.

I've never been one for doing more than 2 missions a day. Also the camp has no food provisions in Chapter 6, so I hunt a lot more too. I tend to stop hunting in Chapter 3 and 4.

• Like 2

jimmyoneshot
1 hour ago, Dan_1983 said:

Nice order, but I'd spread that over 2 or 3 days rather than doing it all in one day.

I've never been one for doing more than 2 missions a day. Also the camp has no food provisions in Chapter 6, so I hunt a lot more too. I tend to stop hunting in Chapter 3 and 4.

Ye it depends if you want to do Bridge To Nowhere before King's Son as Canadian was talking about which means in this case based on the story/dialogue you'd have to do them in one day because Dutch tells you to go and meet Charles to rescue Rain's Fall at the end of Favored Sons. And Favored Sons is mentioned by Arthur/John during Bridge To Nowhere which complicates things more because that means Favored Son's must come before Bridge.

Usually though I do King's Son earlier on another day and do Bridge To Nowhere last

jimmyoneshot
17 hours ago, luckycanadian95 said:

Good to know it's possible, I think that's a lot for sick Arthur in one day. Dutch tells you to rest before seeing Chares so maybe you're supposed to sleep until evening for King's Son. Not a fan of hopping back and forth between regions either even though it's unavoidable for some missions 😛

Ye plus I think Arthur escaping death with Dutch like that and then traveling across like 70% of the map when Charles is waiting like 10% away surely wouldn't be intended.

I do still wonder though if when there are cases where one mission ends with Dutch telling us to do something and time is then like 6am - 10am and the mission he told us to do is at night if we are meant to do something in between or if it's just meant for story effect to imply that, in this case, Arthur and Charles were travelling throughout the day to Fort Wallace.

• Like 2

luckycanadian95
20 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Ye plus I think Arthur escaping death with Dutch like that and then traveling across like 70% of the map when Charles is waiting like 10% away surely wouldn't be intended.

I do still wonder though if when there are cases where one mission ends with Dutch telling us to do something and time is then like 6am - 10am and the mission he told us to do is at night if we are meant to do something in between or if it's just meant for story effect to imply that, in this case, Arthur and Charles were travelling throughout the day to Fort Wallace.

Generally in those cases my feeling is that we're meant to do something else, unless the available options themselves don't seem intended. I looked at some videos and I think it's more likely that we're meant to rest up, then go see Charles during the day, and reach the fort some time in the afternoon, in which case Charles says "Let's get ourselves hidden and wait until it gets dark": 

I knew about this encounter, but never got it. Did any of you get it? At what point, if I may ask?

BrandyNova
41 minutes ago, Sean800 said:

I knew about this encounter, but never got it. Did any of you get it? At what point, if I may ask?

No, I've never seen it!  And I've spent a lot of time in camp in Chapter6, this playthrough (just finished Rage Unleashed).   I'll let you know if I find it in the days to come.  Thanks for sharing this.  So much content!!  🤯

Looser3241
2 hours ago, Sean800 said:

I got it on my last playthrough, after 3 years of playing lmao. Only thing i know is that i had already done some of the chapter 6 missions and had already chit-chatted multiple times with Trelawny, which made this dialogue seem sort of out of place.

I think i'll start recording these "rare" dialogues, if I come across them.

Edited by Looser3241
  • Like 2

BrandyNova
2 hours ago, Looser3241 said:

I got it on my last playthrough, after 3 years of playing lmao. Only thing i know is that i had already done some of the chapter 6 missions and had already chit-chatted multiple times with Trelawny, which made this dialogue seem sort of out of place.

I think i'll start recording these "rare" dialogues, if I come across them.

Would love to see vids of these "rare" dialogues!

It would seem weird later in the chapter.   I have already had several convos with Trelawny, as well.  Since it is still early days in the chapter, you would expect them to talk about Guarma, but no joy.  And because of the layout of the missions in Chapter 6, I won't be returning to camp for several days at a time, so a lot fewer opportunities to get dialogue like this. 

Edited by BrandyNova
  • Like 2

I've seen that once in 3 years of playing in an early playthrough. 

Looser3241
1 hour ago, BrandyNova said:

Would love to see vids of these "rare" dialogues!

It would seem weird later in the chapter.   I have already had several convos with Trelawny, as well.  Since it is still early days in the chapter, you would expect them to talk about Guarma, but no joy.  And because of the layout of the missions in Chapter 6, I won't be returning to camp for several days at a time, so a lot fewer opportunities to get dialogue like this. 

Ye, i was thinking about why this Trelawny dialogue is so hard to trigger. I think it's cause there's a LOT of these conversations on chapter 6 (where the characters come to you), so it doesn't get a chance to trigger most times, specially since Trelawny leaves camp fairly early in the chapter.

On 1/22/2022 at 8:59 PM, luckycanadian95 said:

I think Dutch tells Arthur to rest because Favored Sons is a late evening to night mission. It locks around 9:00 pm, if I remember correctly. Most of the Indian missions take place around night time.

14 hours ago, SoulSurj said:

I think Dutch tells Arthur to rest because Favored Sons is a late evening to night mission. It locks around 9:00 pm, if I remember correctly. Most of the Indian missions take place around night time.

I think Favored Sons begins at dawn.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alexlecj said:

I think Favored Sons begins at dawn.

You're right, that was my mistake. I started it at night and it stayed dark for a while so I got confused.

• Like 1

BrandyNova

What time of day do y'all think "Archeology for Beginners" is supposed to take place? 

I did some experiments with different times.   The mission itself looks good whether doing it day or night and I didn't hear any dialogue indicating either way.  (There were a few times when the clock reset to 9:30pm but only when it was between sunset and sunrise)   Riding around those twisty mountain trails seems a little risky at night, although the moonlight is quite bright and very lovely.  On the other hand, sneaking around the army camp unseen makes much more sense at night than during the day.   What do y'all think?  Did I miss anything that would make sense one way or nuther?  (Oh and I did Rage Unleashed just before this)

Edited by BrandyNova

jimmyoneshot
2 hours ago, BrandyNova said:

What time of day do y'all think "Archeology for Beginners" is supposed to take place? 

I did some experiments with different times.   The mission itself looks good whether doing it day or night and I didn't hear any dialogue indicating either way.  (There were a few times when the clock reset to 9:30pm but only when it was between sunset and sunrise)   Riding around those twisty mountain trails seems a little risky at night, although the moonlight is quite bright and very lovely.  On the other hand, sneaking around the army camp unseen makes much more sense at night than during the day.   What do y'all think?  Did I miss anything that would make sense one way or nuther?  (Oh and I did Rage Unleashed just before this)

I think morning - midday to be honest which would mean it would probably end late afternoon - evening. Monroe turning up at night time might be a little bit strange for example plus I think it's meant for Arthur to be able to see all the views during the ride which may be harder at night. But ye there are definitely some parts that could fit at night such as the soldiers partying

• Like 2