Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grotti Vigilante

What makes Rockstar Games so great to you?

Grotti Vigilante

As we are all fans of Grand Theft Auto on these forums (if not then what are you even doing here?), I expect many of us would all be drawn to other titles by Rockstar Games since we expect the same high-quality experience in a different setting. Now when it comes to Grand Theft Auto style games (or GTA Clones if you insist on calling them), they don't quite seem to hit the mark with reviews and gamers as much as GTA does. Just the name "Grand Theft Auto" carries more value to it and is almost guaranteed to make huge money, compared to competitors such as Saints Row and Just Cause for example. But not only that, the name "Red Dead" is now a big major player in the gaming world now with just two games in the space of eight years.

Even after all that time people were still hyped and exited for Red Dead Redemption's sequel, despite the fact we waited so long. Even though Bully has been out for twelve years people still want a sequel for it. Now I don't know about you, but I can't imagine Ubisoft being able to build up such excitement if they chose to leave a similar gap between Far Cry games and Watch Dogs (as bad as it was), and in fact I imagine many would lose interest in it because of that. Yet Rockstar could wait for up to ten years between GTA V and GTA VI and people will still buy it and be hyped for it. This kind of critical acclaim doesn't come to a studio undeserved either.

For me personally, what makes Rockstar Games great is the fact they're track record on games is such that there is not a single title that was poorly received, and that in itself shows us that they do not trade quality of games for quantity of games. They didn't waste any time on Red Dead Redemption or it's sequel, both of them took six to eight years respectively to make, and they both show it too. Not to mention, their open worlds have such character in that you feel like you're part of it. In many other games for example you get the feeling that the world revolves around you and that everything is just waiting for you, but never do you feel that in a Rockstar Games title.

But ultimately, I want to know from you personally what makes Rockstar Games so great to you, and why they come out above many other game companies, even if they have titles of a similar genre. Remember, keep it civil...

TheSantader25

The Worlds: No other company has come close to the feeling R* deliver with their worlds. Not only the worlds feel real and you feel like you are a part of it but the "characters" in that world also seem to fit the style of it. In other games it seems like the world is just built for you. 

Miamivicecity

For me it's the diversity and approach to keep their games feeling as fresh as possible. Take the GTA series for example. Amidst all the arguing and fighting that's been happening as long as I can remember on this forum over which GTA is better if we sit back for a second, breathe in and stop to think there's no doubt R* always strive to give players something different with each release even if not everyone likes said game.

R* could follow the same annualised model developers like Ubisoft, EA etc do, but they always choose to take their time. Just look at Red Dead Redemption 2 and how years of waiting paid off. Also while they're primarily known for open world titles I admire them for having a go at different genres like the Max Payne series and really niche titles like The Warriors and Manhunt.

On top of that their attention to detail is second to none IMO. I still can't believe Red Dead Redemption 2 exists as video game actually. It's (almost) a perfect representation of the world back in 1899. At the end of the day I don't like sounding like I'm a developer fanboy as that would do disservice to other developers. I have my criticisms of R* and I'm not always a fan of their business practices, but they're a fantastic developer. Provided me with some of my most memorable moments in gaming I'l cherish until the day I die.

universetwisters

Because they were what got me into video games in the first place and shaped a lot of my childhood. If it wasn't for them, I probably wouldn't hold contemporary open world games in such a high regard and would probably be playing Mario or Assassins' Creed or some sh*t. Not that there's nothing wrong with it, but at the time GTA was a niche compared to other games like Halo and I'm glad to have been a part of that niche back when it was still a niche.

Can't say the same about them now but I'll always hold them in a high regard for making some of the games that I played the sh*t out of in my younger years.

Edited by universetwisters

Beato_dim

So refreshing to see people actually praising Rockstar for a change.

The answer is? They make good games. Yes, even GTAO is good, despite being flawed.

killdrivetheftvehicle

Rockstargames makes great games, that's what rockstar is about. They want to produce the games they do with as much quality as possible. I think the focus is on the players, not the employees. I think they have the mentality of a rockstar: work hard, party hard, but the product has to be awesome, not just good. You have to be able to say with pride: "I made this. I think it's f*cking awesome, and I don't give a f*ck wether you like it or not."

Mafia Assassin®

What makes Rockstar great it's that their games are great. I have yet to be disappointed by a R*'s game, even L.A. Noire, Max Payne 3, Chinatown Wars, all underrated, were great experiences for me. Overall, games from Rockstar have kind of a "glamour" that no game from other developers has.

Beato_dim
17 hours ago, killdrivetheftvehicle said:

I think the focus is on the players, not the employees.

I assume you're talking about that overtime fuss. Well, I can't say this is something I like. The fact that the higher-ups make subordinate work their life away doesn't mean they care for players rather than their own pockets. I mean, their bosses probably work as much as their subordinates do, but they have a lot to gain from it; the employees? Not so much. And they can't really say 'I made this' since most of them are merely small parts of a team and hardly make any creative decisions.

Emmi

GTA III changed EVERYTHING!

killdrivetheftvehicle
11 hours ago, Beato_dim said:

I assume you're talking about that overtime fuss. Well, I can't say this is something I like. The fact that the higher-ups make subordinate work their life away doesn't mean they care for players rather than their own pockets. I mean, their bosses probably work as much as their subordinates do, but they have a lot to gain from it; the employees? Not so much. And they can't really say 'I made this' since most of them are merely small parts of a team and hardly make any creative decisions.

I was talking about the rockstar mentality (as an actual rockstar, you know, that make music and party hard). In a band usually a couple of guys dominate and make all the creative decisions. The changing members don't get paid as much as the original ones, although are expected to perform on par with the rest of the band. And the money comes only from excellent products, Bad games don't make as much money you know.

In a business it's always the employees that earn the money for the company. The leaders get paid too much, not because they're greedy, but because the leaders have a different labour market, where every company wants the best guys, and the demand sets the price ticket for the leaders. It's compareable to professional sports, where the best guys are always overpaid and the mediocre ones underpaid.

Edited by killdrivetheftvehicle
typo correction

ThatKyloRenGuy

Well, kinda self-explanatory. They're Rockstar Games! Games like the GTA series, Bully, Manhunt, Red Dead Redemption (both games), L.A. Noire, and the Max Payne series are all quite good. I know the first two Mafia games are actually 2K instead of R* but they are great too and in my book, sorta count as Take 2 Interactive is both R* and 2K.

Femme Fatale

They made GTA IV, Manhunt, and Bully. Other than that, they can go f*ck themselves.

MyNameHere

They pull off many games of another level, a unique identity than just a few others video games design companies can reach.

Jerking For Soup

I haven't liked them ever since Red Dead Redemption or LA Noire.

Jabalous

The meticulous care for details which creates the illusion of a living world that is not dependent on the player. It can be seen in a daily schedule of an a non-playable character in Valentine, the weather system that creates unpredictable and breathtaking views resulting from interactions between the sunlight and clouds that form and disperse dynamically, or an article in a newspaper reporting on an event that's not relevant to the player or story, but somehow the writing is so clever that you feel it's actually real and happened somewhere in the world. It's also the focus on realistic and believable stories based on popular culture and real history, and no fantasy or other made-up stories. The characters, the well-done cutscenes and dialogue. As a whole package, their games feel and play uniquely that there's basically no other title which delivers the same level of consistency and uniqueness, especially within the open-world genre.  

Edited by Jabalous

Journey_95

They make the best open worlds, they just feel "alive" and real like no other open world games do. Also I love how since GTA 3 they have been focused on delivering movie like/cinematic stories with strong voice acting, memorable missions etc.. Even when a story from a Rockstar game is a bit underwhelming it's better & more fun than most of what gaming has to offer (GTA V). 

MostWantedMVP

There sense of immersion.

Red Dead Redemption was there most immersive game since RDR2 came out. And that has completely blew Rockstars last few releases out of the way.