1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Journey_95

What do you think about Sadie Adler?

UnexpectedParole
2 hours ago, crazedZ10 said:

SPOILERS

It was a great idea which was badly executed. She needed a slower character arc. I would of had her wanting to go shoot some bottles or whatever late chapter 2 and she's pretty good and Arthur helps her out, then they go hunting then chapter 3 begins. Instead of her threating Pearson with a knife, she tells Dutch or Hosea that she's more than a housewife and Arthur takes her to Rhodes and on the way back she shoots the guy (no need for the shootout after it, that was unnecessary) Basically you see her developing during 2, 3 and 4 so when you arrive in 5 she has become a lot more capable. Also I personally would cut out the John arrested thing entirely. I think if him, Charles and Sadie ran the camp in Dutch's absence (and ran it well) he would of seen them as a threat to his leadership which is a better reason for him to dislike them. I'm going off topic here lol

I actually wonder if they didn't do that, but lost it in the cutting of the love story?

Similar to how he taught the Widow up north whose name escapes me for the minute.

I don't know if there was a love story cut, and I don't know if it was Sadie. But that would at least make sense of why she only suddenly developed and suddenly became such a crack shot. - why that stuff was missing.

As for scrapping John's arrest. I personally prefer the arrest and sitting in jail while Charles and Sadie held things together. John being in Jail and his abandonment by Dutch was a very important point in the story. Dutch wasn't threatened by John's leadership.  He was just exposed for his lack of concern for John's welfare. That also makes sense to me, and is much worse than feeling threatened.the fact that he had little reason to dislike John is a key point to me.

crazedZ10
1 hour ago, UnexpectedParole said:

I actually wonder if they didn't do that, but lost it in the cutting of the love story?

Similar to how he taught the Widow up north whose name escapes me for the minute.

I don't know if there was a love story cut, and I don't know if it was Sadie. But that would at least make sense of why she only suddenly developed and suddenly became such a crack shot. - why that stuff was missing.

As for scrapping John's arrest. I personally prefer the arrest and sitting in jail while Charles and Sadie held things together. John being in Jail and his abandonment by Dutch was a very important point in the story. Dutch wasn't threatened by John's leadership.  He was just exposed for his lack of concern for John's welfare. That also makes sense to me, and is much worse than feeling threatened.the fact that he had little reason to dislike John is a key point to me.

I don't like the idea of a Sadie Arthur romance tbh. It just doesn't seem right. I also think it's weird how Dutch goes from praising Sadie to then being against her. He already leaves John for dead during the final heist as well. John is just too weak in the story and constantly needs saving.

You think it's a key point how Dutch stops liking John for no reason, I think it was just kinda dumb. If Dutch saw them all as a threat to his leadership it further reinforces the idea that this was a cult all along. 

I just love the idea of John and Sadie reaching up and up taking over, both of them maturing in the process. Plus that mission when you break John out is so God damn unrealistic it makes my head hurt even thinking about it. Also it'd cut out the hot air balloon which I think is a good thing because, 1. The gang are wanted in St. Dennis, why is Arthur going back there, 2. The island has sniper towers why did anyone think it's a good Idea, 3. Sadie causes the death of Mr. Hot air balloon man which Arthur just jokingly brushes off dispite suffering from a life threatening illness. 

Dan_1983
Posted (edited)

I like her character, but feel she was forced onto us with hardly no development . We first meet her in the first mission and you then forget she exists until Chapter 3.

Edited by Dan_1983

GinsengElixir
20 hours ago, crazedZ10 said:

You think it's a key point how Dutch stops liking John for no reason, I think it was just kinda dumb. If Dutch saw them all as a threat to his leadership it further reinforces the idea that this was a cult all along. 

Well...it kindof was a cult all along. 

Cutter De Blanc

I don't think Sadie's omission would even change the core storyline all that much. She's a mission giver in the epilogue,  but honestly it could have been someone else instead and the story would remain the same. Hell it could've just as well been Karen doing the bounty hunting, she didn't even get any closure on her story

El Payaso
On 11/26/2018 at 11:00 PM, RayD70 said:

You argue on and on about realism (no way is it about  the fact they made a woman character that way), and in the next breath say it's something only a SJW would come up with. So, there it is. What's really bothering you. Not realism.

If Arthur soaking up bullets but it's all good, he'll just take a tonic and good to go doesn't bother you, neither should Sadie being good in a fight. If magically healing your horse's broken leg with an injection doesn't bother you, neither should Sadie being good in a fight.  If Arthur (and John) being so fast and supernaturally accurate doesn't bother you, neither should Sadie.  Realistic? Shall I go on?

They gave an admittedly rushed explanation as to why she was good with a gun. But they gave one. It's a story. It doesn't even try to be realistic, but you demand it of her and her alone. Couple that with sarcastically belittling her background, SJW references, etc. and it's not hard to extrapolate why.

It's refreshing to see people show dislike of her character without having to resort to that BS. She's certainly an easy character to critique. Imposing standards just for her character is playing dirty pool.

Oh, Lord. This is such a rubbish excuse. Lots of men do many extraordinary and unrealistic things in real life. That doesn't mean that many women can suddenly do those same things.

Smokewood
On 5/14/2019 at 10:03 AM, Dan_1983 said:

I like her character, but feel she was forced onto us with hardly no development . We first meet her in the first mission and you then forget she exists until Chapter 3.

How did you forget she exists? I would talk to her (and everyone else in the camp) multiple times a day. Did you not spend any time in the camp in chapter 2?

O.Z
7 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

How did you forget she exists? I would talk to her (and everyone else in the camp) multiple times a day. Did you not spend any time in the camp in chapter 2?

I didn't, interacting in the camp was probably the most boring thing about the whole campaign, well it was for me anyways...

Smokewood
1 minute ago, O.Z said:

I didn't, interacting in the camp was probably the most boring thing about the whole campaign, well it was for me anyways...

Thus why you "feel" as if she didn't exist. 

I spent more time in chapter 2 than any other chapter and spent a ton of time in camp. 

My honor was maxed in chapter 2 from camp chores alone. 

GinsengElixir

There are alot of people who didn't know Sadie was the one you rescued at the start, which I find a bit mind boggling....

Smokewood
8 minutes ago, GinsengElixir said:

There are alot of people who didn't know Sadie was the one you rescued at the start, which I find a bit mind boggling....

They rushed.

There is a spot in chapter 1 after the first 2 missions (I think) where you can just roam around Camp Colter and talk to everyone as they are freezing their asses off. Sadie has a few lines there. Then in chapter 2 she has a ton of lines in camp.

I would: Do a mission, go to camp and talk to everyone, and do chores. Then go hunting, then go to camp and talk to everyone, and do chores. Then do a mission then back to camp, and do chores. Go find a treasure, go back to camp and do chores.....rinse and repeat.

I know horseshoe overlook and the heartlands like the back of my hand.

~INDIO~
15 hours ago, O.Z said:

Some of the dialogue with others in camp is kinda repetitive, but I always find it hilarious giving Abigail sh*t because she gets super mad over nothing.

Still hearing new lines by being a dick to people, it's fun

O.Z
6 minutes ago, ~INDIO~ said:

Some of the dialogue with others in camp is kinda repetitive, but I always find it hilarious giving Abigail sh*t because she gets super mad over nothing.

Still hearing new lines by being a dick to people, it's fun

Yeah, I do agree that antagonising people in the camp is the best part

Dan_1983
16 hours ago, Smokewood said:

She's non existent in Chapter 2 missions. I spent a lot of time in camp but didn't go out of my way to talk to her.

53 minutes ago, O.Z said:

Yeah, I do agree that antagonising people in the camp is the best part

Indeed. Greet x2 and then antagonize is funny.