4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Journey_95

What do you think about Sadie Adler?

Gray-Hand

A good character.

And there was never a transition from delicate little flower to unstoppable badass.  She was always a badass.  She just happened to have been at rock bottom when she was introduced.

In a game where the main character routinely gets into deadly fights with a dozen or so enemies at a time and wins, I have no idea why it would be a problem when a female character does it.

raysis

I like sadie, she is my favorite female character in the story.

Her voice is very nice, she is a badass for sure. Would be awesome to have opertunity to be her also, like in gta 5 you can be 3 different characters, would love to be sadie and dutch 🙂

Imagine we get to play with sadie, it would have been very great, new items to explore in the shops. Different voice and missions. 

I see people talk about story dlc, since we never saw it in gta 5 im not so sure, but i would love it.

Rdr2 is so big, so it makes more sence if they add storyline dlc also rather then make a rdr3, so to all sadie fans out there lets hope we get one 🙂 

RayD70
6 hours ago, Semaj 2JZ♢ said:

Too much of a forced cliche' and her voice is annoying as f*ck. It's not believable for her persona, imo. Everyone else seems pretty good. They really sound like how they look. If you can understand what I mean.

It's kind of like the experience of radio voice, but in reverse. Like, how you hear a host/dj on the radio and without actually seeing them you sort of put together your own mental image of what their appearance might be from the sound of their voice. Then you maybe see them later on and sometimes your image was good, others, not so much. Except with Sadie, you see her, but then you hear her talk and you're like, wtf? That ain't right...you shouldn't sound like that.

Mike Tyson says hello. 😉

Her voice sounds like someone who lived a life of hard drinking and smoking...

Which she may well have. Or she permanently damaged her vocal chords while screaming in a fit of grief and rage. Either is plausible.

As for her being a cliche, westerns in general are rife with them (or archetypes if you prefer the term). And Sadie type characters are all over movies. Hannie Caulder, I Spit On Your Grave, The Quick and the Dead, Revenge (2018) just off the top of my head. The difference with her is she didn't magically transform into a killing machine.  She was a hard, capable woman before her life was destroyed. Now she's fueled by hate and rage with more than a bit of a deathwish. She even says a few times that she wants to die. Someone who doesn't care if they die can be very dangerous.

OhHeyBro
3 hours ago, raysis said:

I like sadie, she is my favorite female character in the story.

Her voice is very nice, she is a badass for sure. Would be awesome to have opertunity to be her also, like in gta 5 you can be 3 different characters, would love to be sadie and dutch 🙂

Imagine we get to play with sadie, it would have been very great, new items to explore in the shops. Different voice and missions. 

I see people talk about story dlc, since we never saw it in gta 5 im not so sure, but i would love it.

Rdr2 is so big, so it makes more sence if they add storyline dlc also rather then make a rdr3, so to all sadie fans out there lets hope we get one 🙂 

Spoiler

One DLC for Sadie and one for Charles :)

Semaj 2JZ♢

@RayD70

The way they put her story together to try to make her the character the way I know they are trying to make her, is what feels forced. It's not believable for the era, imo. You're not going to change my mind with movie examples. I see through the bullsh*t. They (R*) showed their hand when they made the comment about not having to create GTA 6 in todays "political climate" without offending a bunch of random someones.

RayD70
1 hour ago, Semaj 2JZ♢ said:

@RayD70

The way they put her story together to try to make her the character the way I know they are trying to make her, is what feels forced. It's not believable for the era, imo. You're not going to change my mind with movie examples. I see through the bullsh*t. They (R*) showed their hand when they made the comment about not having to create GTA 6 in todays "political climate" without offending a bunch of random someones.

The point was that it's nothing new to fiction. At all.

I'll grant that Annie Oakley and Calamity Jane nowhere near rise to the level of Sadie, but nonetheless, they inspired some of that.

Or 150 years before that you had Anne Bonnie and Mary Read running with the big boys in piracy. How much of their story has been embellished? We'll never know. But again, this is nothing new.

You're really going to have your mind blown when you hear about Joan of Arc. Or centuries before that, the shield maidens of viking sagas.

Just stop trying to make it about some political movement. It's not. At all. It's a fictional story meant to be"heroic." Surely your masculinity isn't threatened by a fictional character...

Edited by RayD70

Nutduster
1 hour ago, Semaj 2JZ♢ said:

@RayD70

The way they put her story together to try to make her the character the way I know they are trying to make her, is what feels forced. It's not believable for the era, imo. You're not going to change my mind with movie examples. I see through the bullsh*t.

Apparently not all the way through though.  None of this is "believable for the era."  Although there is some revisionism going on in this game, it's still primarily an homage to Hollywood westerns, which were about the mythologizing of the frontier and the quintessential American man who basically never existed (or barely so).  It is, and always was, a fiction - a way of taking qualities our culture celebrates and using them to build these towering, mythic figures that could not possibly exist in reality.  The whole damn thing - the quick draws, the deadly-accurate gunslingers, the duels at high noon, the squinty-eyed lone wolf bounty hunters - it's all largely invented because it's a great sales pitch for the kind of people men wished they were, but could not possibly be.

And now women want to stick a toe in, and people pitch a fit about it. Ridiculous.  It's made up to begin with, let them have a badass character in there if they want.

By the way, Sadie (and Black Belle) are outnumbered in the Red Dead universe about a hundred to one by male badasses.  Think of them both as Calamity Janes if it helps.  There were indeed a few hard women in the old west.  Of course the myth of Calamity Jane is quite different from the reality, but that's true of basically every famous gunslinger... most of them killed only a handful of people in their entire lives, some less than that.

Edited by Nutduster

Journey_95
On 11/19/2018 at 9:46 PM, Nutduster said:

Apparently not all the way through though.  None of this is "believable for the era."  Although there is some revisionism going on in this game, it's still primarily an homage to Hollywood westerns, which were about the mythologizing of the frontier and the quintessential American man who basically never existed (or barely so).  It is, and always was, a fiction - a way of taking qualities our culture celebrates and using them to build these towering, mythic figures that could not possibly exist in reality.  The whole damn thing - the quick draws, the deadly-accurate gunslingers, the duels at high noon, the squinty-eyed lone wolf bounty hunters - it's all largely invented because it's a great sales pitch for the kind of people men wished they were, but could not possibly be.

And now women want to stick a toe in, and people pitch a fit about it. Ridiculous.  It's made up to begin with, let them have a badass character in there if they want.

By the way, Sadie (and Black Belle) are outnumbered in the Red Dead universe about a hundred to one by male badasses.  Think of them both as Calamity Janes if it helps.  There were indeed a few hard women in the old west.  Of course the myth of Calamity Jane is quite different from the reality, but that's true of basically every famous gunslinger... most of them killed only a handful of people in their entire lives, some less than that.

Nothing against a badass female character. I was excited for her before release and thought she was fine in my first playthrough but the more I think about her I have to say she was a messy character. Her development wasn't done well and basically just consists of "I'm equal to men and badass". Feels like they are throwing people who whined about previous Rockstar games not having any good female characters by making a caricature of a badass female gangster

The "it's a game excuse" has always been weak. Really hope they don't pull this type of sh*t in GTA VI

Edited by Journey_95

Nutduster
1 minute ago, Journey_95 said:

Nothing against a badass female character. I was excited for her before release and thought she was fine in my first playthrough but the more I think about her I have to say she was a messy character. Her development wasn't done well and basically just consists of "I'm equal to men and badass". Feels like they are throwing people who whined about previous Rockstar games not having any good female characters by making a caricature of a badass female gangster

I do wish they had devoted another mission or two and more character development to her, because she goes essentially plot-AWOL throughout chapter 2 and half of chapter 3, which would have been a good time to reveal her real personality so it wouldn't come as a total shock later.  But in the end a certain contingent were gonna complain no matter what they did, just because they had a female gang member who doesn't sit around in a dress and cross stitch pillows for the camp.  It's very transparent and very tired.  Both the so-called SJWs and everyone who spends all their time complaining about SJWs all just need to piss off, and leave the rest of us in peace.

DexMacLeod

1 hour ago, Journey_95 said:

The "it's a game excuse" has always been weak. Really hope they don't pull this type of sh*t in GTA VI

I don't see the "it's a game excuse" as being all that weak. The story takes place in an over the top game world full of over the top caricatures. It seems logical to me that if you were going to do a badass character in that environment they'd be an over the top caricature version of a badass. Female or not.  

bpm81

I like the story arch of the character, the performance is what irks me.  It's so exaggerated and the acting IMO sounds really bad

I've never in my life heard anyone say Jawhn (John) the way she does.  Some of it just sounds cringey to me

woggleman

The only woman I didn't really like was Susan Grimshaw. She was downright abusive to some of the women and didn't think twice about killing Molly. I am playing the Epilogue and I like Sadie even more. You can see that behind this toughness and hardness there actually is a heart. 

Cutter De Blanc

I didn't like how if you choose to spare Cleet, Sadie kills him. 

Real tough bitch, she can shoot a man with a noose around his neck begging for his life

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

FreeMaxB585
Spoiler

is she in red dead 1 at all? cause at the end she rode off and made it

Edited by Spider-Vice

DexMacLeod
49 minutes ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

is she in red dead 1 at all? cause at the end she rode off and made it

No, she mentions going to South America or something like that.

Grotti Vigilante

If anyone wants to mention about Sadie not being "believable for the era", just remember that the whole idea of the Wild West is a work of fiction and that what is depicted in media is largely fantasy. See this to get an idea of what I'm on about and you may get an idea as to why an empowered female isn't suddenly the most inaccurate thing about the late 1890s. I mean having said that, Sadie did feel a bit like she was rushed a little, but she was a good character. Maybe I just need to play through it again slowly this time though.

(For those who cannot click the link, it is to a YouTube video titled "History Summarized: The Wild West") 

Edited by Grotti Vigilante

Journey_95
On 11/21/2018 at 10:37 PM, Grotti Vigilante said:

If anyone wants to mention about Sadie not being "believable for the era", just remember that the whole idea of the Wild West is a work of fiction and that what is depicted in media is largely fantasy. See this to get an idea of what I'm on about and you may get an idea as to why an empowered female isn't suddenly the most inaccurate thing about the late 1890s. I mean having said that, Sadie did feel a bit like she was rushed a little, but she was a good character. Maybe I just need to play through it again slowly this time though.

Hide contents

(For those who cannot click the link, it is to a YouTube video titled "History Summarized: The Wild West") 

That's true. I still think her arc should have been executed better and been more gradual. And the whole "equal" stuff was heavy handed, no need to mention it all the time. We got it the first time. Still a solid character but considering how well done Arthur, Dutch etc. are I was hoping she would be better

Edited by Journey_95

rebel-yin

I liked her and, if you look past her demeanor, I found her to be very sexy in her own way. A little bowlegged for my taste, but her other characteristics more than make up for it. Speaking of females in the game: did anyone else notice how large-chested they ALL were? Sorry if that’s crude, but it’s true. 

Journey_95
20 minutes ago, freeluv21 said:

I liked her and, if you look past her demeanor, I found her to be very sexy in her own way. A little bowlegged for my taste, but her other characteristics more than make up for it. Speaking of females in the game: did anyone else notice how large-chested they ALL were? Sorry if that’s crude, but it’s true. 

I don't think anyone is complaining about the last part, lol

O.Z

I liked Sadie at the beginning, but after Chapter 6 she turned into an obnoxious, Mrs. Know it all, cold hearted badass bounty hunter - it didn’t make sense at all! 

I wouldnt have mind, if she died at the end to be honest.

Badly written character by Rockstar.

Edited by O.Z

Mr_Long
On 11/14/2018 at 5:36 AM, Spider-Vice said:

I'm going to start handing out verbal warnings/reminders if people keep ignoring the spoiler rules. If the topic isn't tagged, use spoiler tags, and this applies ESPECIALLY to end-game spoilers.

Yes Big Daddy

OT : Yeah Sadie Adler was a pretty good character, but like any of the new characters it's a shame that they're never mentioned in the original Red Dead Redemption. Her voice acting along with the rest of the crew is spot on.

3Prcntr

Way over the top. But then again, the whole story was like that...

Journey_95
13 minutes ago, Mr_Long said:

Yes Big Daddy

OT : Yeah Sadie Adler was a pretty good character, but like any of the new characters it's a shame that they're never mentioned in the original Red Dead Redemption. Her voice acting along with the rest of the crew is spot on.

Especially makes no sense that Arthur was never mentioned..way too important for Dutch and John to just act like he never existed

7 minutes ago, 3Prcntr said:

Way over the top. But then again, the whole story was like that...

Not more so than RDR1

Gallows

I think she should have tried to become a badass and then dying a noble death failing to be badass.

ReadDeadStu

I think she's awesome. If there's ever a third game, it HAS to be about her. 

Journey_95
1 hour ago, ReadDeadStu said:

I think she's awesome. If there's ever a third game, it HAS to be about her. 

Even if she was one of my favourites I would disagree, we need to go back to the Golden Era of the Wild West. No need for a third game while the whole thing was pretty much ending anyway

TheSantader25
2 hours ago, Journey_95 said:

Even if she was one of my favourites I would disagree, we need to go back to the Golden Era of the Wild West. No need for a third game while the whole thing was pretty much ending anyway

They need to change the "Redemption" part of the title for the next game and go back to around 1860 era. Redemption has hit it's full potential and there isn't anything else left to make it better. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Journey_95
31 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

They need to change the "Redemption" part of the title for the next game and go back to around 1860 era. Redemption has hit it's full potential and there isn't anything else left to make it better. 

Agreed, they shouldn't limit themselves with that theme. Arthur's story did it even better than John's but just like with Dutch's Gang in general (I have heard people talking about a Dutch/Hosea prequel but I don't like that idea), it's time to move on

bish0p2004
On 11/20/2018 at 3:49 PM, Journey_95 said:

Basically this.  I don't have a problem with badass female characters either, but at this point it just feels forced.

The only way I would have liked Sadie is if they would have made her the traitor instead.  It would have made a lot more sense and made her character even more complex.  She could have sold the gang out after getting her revenge on the O'Driscolls as she struggled with her  psychopathy (lets face it, she basically turns into a pychopath like Micah but is given a pass for obvious reasons) because she believed that outlaws, even like Dutch's gang are ultimately responsible for her husbands death.  This is also consistent with the way she talks in camp earlier in the game.

Then at the end, you're given a choice to kill her or empathize with her as she explains this to you during the final chapter.

That would have made her less of a Mary Sue in my opinion because as of right now, the only reason she is in the game is for virtue signaling.  I still would have rolled my eyes when she charged into battle, but I would have respected her a character a lot more at the end due to the subversion of expectation.

Edited by bish0p2004

bish0p2004
23 hours ago, Gallows said:

I think she should have tried to become a badass and then dying a noble death failing to be badass.

Lol that would have been more realistic at least.

On 11/20/2018 at 3:57 PM, Nutduster said:

I do wish they had devoted another mission or two and more character development to her, because she goes essentially plot-AWOL throughout chapter 2 and half of chapter 3, which would have been a good time to reveal her real personality so it wouldn't come as a total shock later.  But in the end a certain contingent were gonna complain no matter what they did, just because they had a female gang member who doesn't sit around in a dress and cross stitch pillows for the camp.  It's very transparent and very tired.  Both the so-called SJWs and everyone who spends all their time complaining about SJWs all just need to piss off, and leave the rest of us in peace.

No, a "certein contingent" will complain because they know why she is put into the game.  Before the past few years, I wouldn't have thought twice about her character because I grew up with the idea of women being able to beat up guys in movies and games.

I swear, I don't know where this idea comes from that characters like Sadie are something new nowadays.  It's pretty typical of games and movies to have a white female protagonist go head to head with men in combat and win.  I guess you guys didn't watch a lot of the martial arts movies in the 80s either.

And also, it would be nice if all of you people who want every single game or movie to feature women who are just as strong as men would leave us (who want a little more realism in some of our media) alone in peace as well instead of complaining everytime there's not one.

Edited by bish0p2004