4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Journey_95

What do you think about Sadie Adler?

Typhus
17 minutes ago, Bakkerbaard said:

If it's good enough for Indiana Jones, it's good enough for Arthur.

Your avatar is awesome, so I'm not going to argue with you.

Bakkerbaard
3 hours ago, Typhus said:

Your avatar is awesome, so I'm not going to argue with you.

While I am usually easily drawn into internet-arguements, I cannot stand up to that logic. ;o)

imburgundy

I recall Adler Ranch being in a desolate location in the Grizzlies in 1899. I'm pretty sure that immediately qualifies any man or woman for the highest level of badassness so anyone thinking Sadie might not have already been a badass is mistaking and didn't pay attention to her character development. As others are saying, she was never shy about telling Arthur about her role in her marriage. Imagine losing your whole life and everything thats become normal to you in one night on top of probably seeing your husband murdered in front of you so I can see why she had a slow start in the game. Yeah I cringed when she insisted on going for revenge against the O'Driscolls but she was a women scorned hellbent on revenge. Just look at those angry eyes in her promotional art. I think her character arc is a common theme of someone who had their lives completely upended by a ruthless gang. They vow revenge to themselves and hone their skills and make their move when the time is right. I think its very plausible and really think Sadie is a fantastic character. 

Raptors887

I can’t stand her voice. She sounds like an old woman to me.

Collibosher

And I on the other hand, like her voice. For a long time, she was "just there", but later she becomes really prominent character and the gang member I trust the MOST. Other gang members just constantly fight and let each other down, but Arthur and Sadie are like the outsiders who see thru the bs, and just do what's right. I do think her introduction and transition into gunslinger was rushed tho.

Kemasus

If Im going to a gunfight I would bring her. If Im doing something that requires a bit more patience, she stays at the camp. Overall I loved having her there

woggleman

My GF said that if I were ever murdered she would go Sadie on my killers. If that isn't true love I don't know what is.

HoodedWatermelon

She's cool and doesn't feel forced to me. Yeah she wants revenge, and yeah the game tells you that revenge is a fool's game, but at the end most characters (including John, Sadie, Jack, Dutch...) still end up going for revenge. That's one of the main themes of the story for me. People are obsessed with revenge, and sometimes getting it has consequences. I also love her voice. 

I remember reading an interview where someone at Rockstar said that some characters in this game are strong whilst others are weak. That some that appear to be weak are actually tough and vice versa. And to me that's the way it felt. Being strong and badass is not a gender thing. It's a human thing.

On a side note I wonder how people would react if the next Rockstar game had a female protagonist. I would personally love it.

Furi0sa

She's the third best character behind Arthur and dutch. Love her character design, love her voice.

TheSadisticOwl

I like her. She's a good character and she isn't all about "men suck, girl power all the way", because she has her own moments of being saved by the opposite gender (twice, if I'm not mistaken). I think she's an interesting addition to the game considering the time it takes place, where women gaining the right to vote and being more respected in society was still at its roots. Every male character in the game underestimates her until she proves that she can handle herself on willpower alone.

But I will admit, I wish her backstory was more developed. I did also find a bit odd that she found her way around guns a bit too quickly. I can ignore her bloodlust because being held captive by murderers and rapists destroys anyone, but I wanted to know how she became so skilled so quickly.

And please, anyone who believes she was added solely to pander to SJWs, grow up.

RayD70
37 minutes ago, TheSadisticOwl said:

But I will admit, I wish her backstory was more developed. I did also find a bit odd that she found her way around guns a bit too quickly. I can ignore her bloodlust because being held captive by murderers and rapists destroys anyone, but I wanted to know how she became so skilled so quickly.

And please, anyone who believes she was added solely to pander to SJWs, grow up.

If you pay attention during some of her conversations, you find out that she was always skilled and tough. She shared all of the hard work with her husband in rough country. Including hunting, skinning, butchering, hard work, etc.

It wasn't a matter of her learning those skills. She already had them.

Agree on that last part. I agree that oftentimes, political correctness goes way too far (almost always actually). But this isn't that. And only a bunch of betas would see it that way. :D

Edited by RayD70

Raptors887

Sadie isn’t as bad as Abigail tbh. All she does is cry about John the whole game. Gets annoying after awhile.

éX-Driver

I just had a thought. Outside of Arthur, John, and Dutch, Sadie gets the most character development and screentime. She also flat out states having been to Mexico, and there’s an 8 year gap where we only know she’s travelling the west being a bounty hunter. And she plays to a T the ‘wild loner survivalist/bounty hunter’ archetype typically associated with players of Red Dead. That can’t be coincidental.

What if R* is setting her up to be the main character for a future story DLC? Have it take place in New Austin and Nuevo Paraiso with us playing as Sadie as she tries to make a living after leaving the gang? Taking place around 1901-1905? Maybe that’s why they included New Austin, and why Mexico has so much detail despite not being able to go there. 

woggleman

Sometimes the alt right anti-sjws are just as bad as the sjws. These are the same people who complain about Ellie being a lesbian in the TLOU2 and thought that Horizon Zero Dawn was feminist propaganda. You can't do anything these days without a bunch of outrage. If she really were about pandering to radical feminists her main motivation wouldn't be avenging the murder of the man she loved.

Nutduster
10 minutes ago, woggleman said:

Sometimes the alt right anti-sjws are just as bad as the sjws. These are the same people who complain about Ellie being a lesbian in the TLOU2 and thought that Horizon Zero Dawn was feminist propaganda. You can't do anything these days without a bunch of outrage. If she really were about pandering to radical feminists her main motivation wouldn't be avenging the murder of the man she loved.

Agreed - and more than agreed on the annoyance of both SJWs and their polar opposites. Both groups scream about seemingly everything while the rest of us are just trying to enjoy a good game.

MadHammerThorsteen
On 11/14/2018 at 4:54 AM, Journey_95 said:

I have seen some people saying that she was too forced badass & one note and that her whole story was heavy handed. What does this forum think about her character?

I respect her for being a bad bitch. It doesn't seem forced at all. On the other end of that, though, I'm not a huge fan of how much of a bro she is, especially in the Epilogue, and especially-especially because she already naturally sounds like Bobby Hill.

Now, I don't think she should've been written any differently. In fact, for who she is, I think she was written exceedingly well. And as a companion to Arthur, I would put her in next to Charles as my left- and right-hand lieutenants. However, because she is who she is--psycho, and nothing but trouble--I would personally not hand around with her if she was a real person.

Baltel

If one day R* finally wants to have Female protagonist for one of their games i hope it will be like Sadie, i think she is perfect for the kind of storys R* told in their games, plus her voice is cool, that raspy voice give her something special and different for all the other women in the game, she is like Bonnie but more temperamental, and yes i know that "Girl power men sucks" is something that triggers a lot of people this days, but.... i think that woks in the game because it was set in 1890- 1900, also her backstory motivates that behavior, buuut of course her character also works for satisfy that sjws out there that cry for everything

Edited by Baltel

woggleman

She isn't even about girl power men suck. Losing the man she loved is her main motivation for doing what she does. She is avenging the death of a man. 

OhHeyBro
On 11/17/2018 at 3:55 AM, *Lola said:

Hide contents

Would've been fun having her around after the game was over. Or even the option to play her after the game was over.

Spoilers for end of the game:

Spoiler

Towards the end of the game, after getting the tuberculosis diagnosis my theory was that, if Arthur died, Sadie would be the one to take his place as the next playable protagonist. Due to her being around since saving her in Chapter 1 and sort of stepping up her game in Chapter III or IV and kind of becoming Arthur's sidekick. Once the epilogue came though, I was actually quite surprised that John was the one who takes over, which for some reason I don't think I even considered despite it seeming like a kind of obvious choice too in retrospect. Even during the Epilogue: Part 1, I was convinced that it would wrap up John's story at his ranch and in Part 2 Sadie would take over as the 3rd and final playable character. Never happened :( I was so sure of it lol. It just seemed so perfect, especially in that dialogue with John where she said she prefers to work alone, and how she was into bounty hunting and traveled alot etc, which to me suggested she'd be more suited to the free roam play style of the end-game, rather than John who realistically would be staying put at the ranch with his family for the most part.

Edited by OhHeyBro
grammar

SonOfLiberty

I thought she was just going the "Bonnie McFarlane" of this game. Granted she probably should've played a bigger part earlier on, but I'm glad the writers actually made good use of her towards the end and didn't wipe her like a dirty rag.

Frantz Fuchs

I cringed at her. The way she talks is so forced. Honestly it took away the immersion. At the start it felt real, after Sadie it felt like a video game.

Psyperactive81
On 11/14/2018 at 5:56 AM, tonko said:

She's ok.  Abigail is the Queen B.i.t.c.h., constantly insulting John over the course of 2 games. 

If I treated my daughter the same way John Marston has treated Jack, pretty sure my wife would be just as displeased with me as Abigail is with John

Edited by Psyperactive81

*Lola
47 minutes ago, Frantz Fuchs said:

I cringed at her. The way she talks is so forced. Honestly it took away the immersion. At the start it felt real, after Sadie it felt like a video game.

I feed my characters all these beans and not once did any of them fart, really kills the immersion.

As one takes bullets during a fight and never needs bandages or the bullets removed, really kills the immersion.

After an animal attack and no shots to cure the rabies, really kills the immersion.

laughing-mouse.gif?w=187

Edited by *Lola

Frantz Fuchs
13 minutes ago, *Lola said:

I feed my characters all these beans and not once did any of them fart, really kills the immersion.

As one takes bullets during a fight and never needs bandages or the bullets removed, really kills the immersion.

After an animal attack and no shots to cure the rabies, really kills the immersion.

>The quality of voice acting is the same as mechanics required to make the game playable

laughing-mouse.gif?w=187

Nutduster

I just did her mission in chapter 4 with the big shootout at camp. Her knife fight with three O'Driscolls... holy sh*t. She's like a cornered bobcat.

1 hour ago, Psyperactive81 said:

If I treated my daughter the same way John Marston did towards Jack, pretty sure my wife would be just as displeased with me as Abigail is with John

Abigail is justified, John is a terrible father and husband prior to and throughout this game (or at least as far as I've gotten, which is not yet to chapter 5). I really like that they didn't pull punches there. John was just as much of a piece of crap as he describes himself as in RDR.

Psyperactive81
5 minutes ago, Nutduster said:

I just did her mission in chapter 4 with the big shootout at camp. Her knife fight with three O'Driscolls... holy sh*t. She's like a cornered bobcat.

Abigail is justified, John is a terrible father and husband prior to and throughout this game (or at least as far as I've gotten, which is not yet to chapter 5). I really like that they didn't pull punches there. John was just as much of a piece of crap as he describes himself as in RDR.

Very true, I am actually disappointed with John and how much of a pussy he is, after having spent years in his skin and fighting zombies and such.

Coranub

I bet she would be a lot of fun the hay. :turn:

Not gonna lie, but Alex McKenna, Sadie's voice actress, is a darn hot babe. But if she yaps like Sadie does...., I'll pass. There were moments her voice reminded me of OitnB's Pensatucky. That really ruined an image....

Edited by Guest

Dbzk1999
8 hours ago, Psyperactive81 said:

If I treated my daughter the same way John Marston did towards Jack, pretty sure my wife would be just as displeased with me as Abigail is with John

Yeah, I’d definitely say that John deserves the crap Abigail was shooting towards him. 

Semaj 2JZ♢

Too much of a forced cliche' and her voice is annoying as f*ck. It's not believable for her persona, imo. Everyone else seems pretty good. They really sound like how they look. If you can understand what I mean.

It's kind of like the experience of radio voice, but in reverse. Like, how you hear a host/dj on the radio and without actually seeing them you sort of put together your own mental image of what their appearance might be from the sound of their voice. Then you maybe see them later on and sometimes your image was good, others, not so much. Except with Sadie, you see her, but then you hear her talk and you're like, wtf? That ain't right...you shouldn't sound like that.