1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Journey_95

What do you think about Sadie Adler?

Cutter De Blanc

Sadie reminds me of Calamity Jane in Deadwood without any of the charm

Blasterman4EVER

Besides being super hot, she's been through hell and back, and quite honestly, she'd be the perfect candidate for a stand-alone RDR side-game.

Garanga

I find her extremely annoying now that I’m in Ep2

Cutter De Blanc

So far the main positive about her in this topic is that she's hot. 

She has the depth of those typical "badass strong women" on shows like The Walking Dead, where the writers think an obnoxious woman who cusses a lot means she's strong

Blasterman4EVER
13 minutes ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

So far the main positive about her in this topic is that she's hot. 

She has the depth of those typical "badass strong women" on shows like The Walking Dead, where the writers think an obnoxious woman who cusses a lot means she's strong

Or maybe her husband was murdered in front of her, she was beaten and presumably raped for three days, she watched her homestead burn down, yet she moved on and murdered every son of a bitch that took her life away from her, so SHE IS STRONG.

Cutter De Blanc

Clearly you're their target demographic 

saintsrow
37 minutes ago, Blasterman4EVER said:

Or maybe her husband was murdered in front of her, she was beaten and presumably raped for three days, she watched her homestead burn down, yet she moved on and murdered every son of a bitch that took her life away from her, so SHE IS STRONG.

Yes, this goes back to my comment about the Sadie intro mission, where she seems so scared and helpless.  It's out of character with the whole Sadie character buildup in the trailers.  She should have come on strong, recovered her character, as soon as she understood that Dutch's guys were not more of the same bastards.  She should have been vowing revenge right then.  I thought this scene put a big disconnect in the whole Sadie character arc.  It should have been reviewed and fixed.  

I never played the modern Tomb Raider, but I remember reviews asking why the game plot had to hurt Lara Croft so bad at the beginning, in order to justify her being a hardass later.  It's a cheap plot gimmick.  

Blasterman4EVER
1 hour ago, saintsrow said:

Yes, this goes back to my comment about the Sadie intro mission, where she seems so scared and helpless.  It's out of character with the whole Sadie character buildup in the trailers.  She should have come on strong, recovered her character, as soon as she understood that Dutch's guys were not more of the same bastards.  She should have been vowing revenge right then.  I thought this scene put a big disconnect in the whole Sadie character arc.  It should have been reviewed and fixed.  

I never played the modern Tomb Raider, but I remember reviews asking why the game plot had to hurt Lara Croft so bad at the beginning, in order to justify her being a hardass later.  It's a cheap plot gimmick.  

I get what you're saying, but by that measure, if Arthur was really smart (and I think he is), he would have left the bloody gang early on too.

That's the point. Necessity, companionship, fear --- they all stay with the gang for one reason or another, but they probably shouldn't have, right?

I think her actions and her reluctance to leave the gang can be explained. She was traumatized, in shock, clearly. I think it all makes sense, more or less.

Edited by Blasterman4EVER

woggleman

She didn't turn into some strong woman. It's who she always was. She mentions that before her husband was killed she was still an independent woman who had an equal marriage and had a lot of experience shooting and hunting. She mentions that her and her husband shared all the work so when she started running with a group of hardened outlaws and was treated like a 1950s housewife by Pearson of all people who never saw action it rightfully angered her. 

Blasterman4EVER
1 hour ago, woggleman said:

She didn't turn into some strong woman. It's who she always was. She mentions that before her husband was killed she was still an independent woman who had an equal marriage and had a lot of experience shooting and hunting. She mentions that her and her husband shared all the work so when she started running with a group of hardened outlaws and was treated like a 1950s housewife by Pearson of all people who never saw action it rightfully angered her. 

Still, I argue that one can understand her moments of weakness --- she had just lost everything.

woggleman
1 minute ago, Blasterman4EVER said:

Still, I argue that one can understand her moments of weakness --- she had just lost everything.

True but the kind of person she is at the end of the game is the kind of person she always was but she feels she has nothing to lose she will make the Odriscols pay for what they did to her. She also kept things together while most of the men were away.

Bakkerbaard
18 hours ago, tonko said:

Abigail is the Queen B.i.t.c.h., constantly insulting John over the course of 2 games.

I know a couple of real life versions of relationships like that. It's a weird but strong-like-Hulk kind of love.

12 hours ago, feckyerlife said:

her voice sounds like she smokes 4 packs a day for 40 yrs

Worked for Lemmy. Add a couple of whiskies and she'll be doing Ace Of Spades at the campfire.

And I'll bloody buy that album.

I figure we should get a petition going. See if we can get Rockstar to bring us DLC where Sadie goes and finds Gavin.

TheSantader25

People who think sudden behavior change is weird haven't gone through real hard times in their life. There are times after a rough problem where you just sit and "think" for days and sometimes you figure you don't want to put up with sh*t anymore and decide to do things differently from tomorrow. 

Lonely-Martin

I find her fun.

Bit of Deadwood's Calamity Jane, bit of Toy Story's Jessie.

Like some characters from the last RDR, including the mexicans even, would easily add to the game if they got a story based DLC. I'd rather that than them used in online where we become bored of their voices like the phone calls can do in GTA:O. (Though thankfully, no phones here).

Gunboat138

Didn't hate her as a character, but very heavy handed.  "I am a woman that does man things and you don't get to f*ck me."  I didn't like how a flip switched and shes done being sad and now is 100% in on murdering.  Definitely had her place, but also not as fleshed out as other characters.  She was married and now shes a widow and she can kind of play the harmonica.  That's all we ever really get out of her.  

Edited by Gunboat138

Rykjeklut

MEH. She's missing from my current playthrough, and that's great.

Didn't like her, didn't like her arch. Not that she had one anyway. Went from wimpering wreck to baddest gunslinger in camp in the span of one mission intro. And the epilogue business? Nah.

Cheddarhead7
Spoiler

She became even more unhinged, violent and bloodthirsty than even people like Micah, even getting good people killed like the hot air balloon guy, and becomes consumed by her quest for revenge while a massive theme of this game is about how foolish revenge is and that it never works out for the seeker. I wouldn't mind any of this except that for the fact that for some reason we're supposed to view these traits as positive in her instance: she's very much treated as Arthur/John's best companion and ultimately receives a happy ending with no comeuppance, directly contradicting said themes about the negatives of revenge.

Edited by Cheddarhead7

Fidzy
On 11/14/2018 at 11:22 AM, Cutter De Blanc said:

Didn't mind her until the epilogue,  which made me loathe her. She's totally obnoxious. 

Woah, spoiler man

RayD70
6 hours ago, Gunboat138 said:

I didn't like how a flip switched and shes done being sad and now is 100% in on murdering.  Definitely had her place, but also not as fleshed out as other characters.  She was married and now shes a widow and she can kind of play the harmonica.  That's all we ever really get out of her.  

Who said she's done mourning or "being sad?"

Her grief turned into rage when she ran into the O'Driscolls the instant they attacked her. And then she lived off that rage. She finally snapped. I find it plausible in that "suspension of disbelief" one must have to fully get on board with a work of fiction. It's not an uncommon fictional arc either.

It's to be assumed she was likely abused for days by that gang after they killed her husband right in front of her. Yes, I'm using a euphemism. Anyone going through a trauma like that won't be in their right mind for a very long time. The game established she could hunt and shoot  long before she ran into the gang. She didn't suddenly become a badass gunslinger. She was a capable woman who snapped and her rage consumed her.

I didn't find it nearly as exploitative, or over the top as, say, the western movie "Hannie Caulder." That movie came out in 1971 - not exactly a progressive era. But to be honest, the movie seemed like an excuse to keep Racquel Welch half naked through most of it. Not that I'm complaining. 😉 But even that movie attempted to give some kind of plausible way she could go toe to toe with desperados.

Edited by RayD70

HockeyMike24

I'm in the camp that doesn't like her. Like the OP said she's too forced and typical female badass character. I thought she had potential but she is just a badly written character. Oh well, Dan tried.

MjrOu812

She is pain in Morgans ass....don't care interacting with her, always whining or complaining about something? But she slowly snaps out of it towards the end. Don't like the idea of using her as a main character in a future dlc,she is not annie oakley, that's my opinion?

Edited by MjrOu812

DexMacLeod
On 11/14/2018 at 11:41 AM, Nutduster said:

They didn't do this too gracefully but it's not actually supposed to be a transition.  Basically you don't get to know what Sadie is like at all until the first mission with her in chapter 3, when you find out she was never a wilting violet at all and instead was a hard woman who did hard work all along, and had used a gun before and all that.  They could have introduced that more smoothly with a character-discovery mission in chapter 2, I think - a low-action one where you take her into Valentine or something.  They could have revealed what she's really like there, and then had her start shooting people in the chapter 3 mission.

As it is, in chapter 2 she just keeps her distance from the gang and is coming to terms with her life being ruined.  You get more of a sense of her if she's in the camp during ch. 2 (i.e. no bug that causes her to disappear) and you talk to her some, but it's not enough - she mostly just tells you to piss off.

Yeah, I just started Chapter 3 in my second playthrough. Going extra slow, really trying to interact with the gang and she still feels underutilized. I think, since one of the excuses given for her not being around much is because she's off hunting, it'd be cool if we could go with her once or twice in Chapter Two. 

I've noticed in the ledger that she never seems to bring anything back so the mission could start with us thinking we're going to bag a buck but really we're hunting down O'Driscolls. 

All in all I liked her a lot though. Would have loved to play as her at some point. It's just a shame that so much of her character arch is told to us through dialogue rather then shown to us through actions. Even still, she was probably the "deepest" character in the gang outside of Arthur, Dutch, and maybe Hosea. 

As for later in the game spoilery type stuff:

Yeah, she got a bit annoying in the Epilogue. There's a couple of factors to that though for me, personally.

The main one was Rockstar's habit of making all mission companions annoyingly impatient and hand holdy. For some reason they made her worse than anyone. Constantly telling you exactly what to do all the time despite the fact that nothing we did was ever all that complicated.

Also, I was still pretty bummed about Arthur being gone, and a little annoyed to be playing as John again. Wasn't really in the headspace to "like" stuff anymore. Though I did enjoy all that menial ranch labor for some reason. 

Typhus

I'm not a fan of her. I don't tend to like the backstory where someone goes through some tragedy and then becomes a badass to compensate. Because it doesn't feel like a part of their character, it doesn't feel like something that was already there under the surface, so I can't see who they become, I can only see who they were and it feels like they're pretending.

Let's say Arthur spent the first half of his life as a college professor in Yale, would you then believe he was this grizzled old badass? Or would it feel like he was a rich guy who got bored and decided to play dress-up?

chronic lumbago

Nothing about her felt forced. She had the very best character development out of all the characters, right after Arthur himself.

JPFL

1900s version of Catalina

During the main story, she's okay. During the epilogues, she would be fine too, if she kept that motormouth of hers turned off! 

Man, can that bird chilp! It never ends! 

*Lola

I would've preferred playing her over any other character in the game.

Spoiler

Would've been fun having her around after the game was over. Or even the option to play her after the game was over.

RayD70
4 hours ago, Typhus said:

I'm not a fan of her. I don't tend to like the backstory where someone goes through some tragedy and then becomes a badass to compensate. Because it doesn't feel like a part of their character, it doesn't feel like something that was already there under the surface, so I can't see who they become, I can only see who they were and it feels like they're pretending.

Let's say Arthur spent the first half of his life as a college professor in Yale, would you then believe he was this grizzled old badass? Or would it feel like he was a rich guy who got bored and decided to play dress-up?

Except she wasn't some wilting flower. Some dainty little princess.

She was a hard woman before. She shared in all of the hard tasks including hunting, gathering, chopping wood, etc. in a harsh environment. They (she and her husband) chose to live in the far north. Hard country. And by all appearances, they thrived there until the O'Driscolls came calling.

If Mary-Beth suddenly became a man hunter wreaking all kinds of mayhem, yeah. THAT would feel forced.

Cheatz/Trickz

I like her, but Rockstar failed at the pacing with regards to her place in the story. You rescue her in Chapter 1, then she’s just a camp mate until Chapter 3 when you go on one (excellent) mission with her, but she is ignored completely until late into Chapter 4 and 5. 

The best aspect was her bond with Arthur, they were both ruined people. The fact that she’d been trying to stop Micah because it’s what Arthur wanted makes her character for me.

Edited by Cheatz/Trickz

Bakkerbaard
5 hours ago, Typhus said:

Let's say Arthur spent the first half of his life as a college professor in Yale, would you then believe he was this grizzled old badass?

If it's good enough for Indiana Jones, it's good enough for Arthur.