3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Journey_95

What do you think about Sadie Adler?

Journey_95

I have seen some people saying that she was too forced badass & one note and that her whole story was heavy handed. What does this forum think about her character?

Edited by Journey_95

woggleman

I love her. She is ride or die and is somebody I would want around me when things get real.

Chrismads

I think she's one of the worst characters in the Van Der Linde gang. Maybe except Jack. If I had the option I would've shot both of them.

I love her voice and her looks, I think she is hot and pretty cute. And she is a f*cking killer, you don't want to mess with her.

Edited by anthony

RayD70

Don't care for her voice at times. Otherwise, my kind of woman (for the setting at least).

Anyone complaining about her badassery being forced or unrealistic or over the top should think about why, in a video game, this time it's "too much." ;)

I mean, isn't that every game?

Cutter De Blanc

Didn't mind her until the epilogue,  which made me loathe her. She's totally obnoxious. 

Jabalous
14 minutes ago, anthony said:

I love her voice and her looks, I think she is hot and pretty cute. And she is a f*cking killer, you don't want to mess with her.

My thought, especially the hot and cute thing. Haha.

:p

Spider-Vice

I'm going to start handing out verbal warnings/reminders if people keep ignoring the spoiler rules. If the topic isn't tagged, use spoiler tags, and this applies ESPECIALLY to end-game spoilers.

Fatsanchez

I think she is one of the best characters. The only downsize is that R* didn't properly took the time to work on her character development - or at least show to us.

I would love to see a DLC focused on her story - maybe showing a bit of her life with her husband before the events of the game and then evolving to the time with the gang and the late years as a Bounty Hunter.

I think her character is really rich and has room for lots of development.

Edited by Fatsanchez
sorry spidey

tonko

She's ok.  Abigail is the Queen B.i.t.c.h., constantly insulting John over the course of 2 games. 

kushnstien

i actually liked her. Wish she was in more missions.

O.Z
1 hour ago, anthony said:

She is well hot, in fact she is fapping material!

The N. Bellic Man

First I kind of hated her. Later on she grew on me. All in all I would say she tried a bit too hard to make an impression of a badass but was still a decent character.

That ending scene in the last mission served her right though since she was being reckless in that mission. Might be poor AI though which made her act that way. But I think that if you're running on almost every bullet that they shoot you at you're not a badass but a dumbass.

Nutduster
2 hours ago, RayD70 said:

Don't care for her voice at times. Otherwise, my kind of woman (for the setting at least).

Anyone complaining about her badassery being forced or unrealistic or over the top should think about why, in a video game, this time it's "too much." ;)

I mean, isn't that every game?

But political correctness, maaaaan.

I agree with you. Characters in games are usually outrageously unrealistic badasses. Somehow there are only complaints when it's a woman because suddenly it's "political." 

bish0p2004

I liked her at first, then all of sudden she becomes Superman and her character became obnoxious and felt like fan service for people who want women to be men with boobs.

I liked Karen and Abigail much more...especially Karen.  They seemed much more realistic for the time period...even the gunslinger lady for the stranger mission felt more realistic than Sadie.

Edited by bish0p2004

RedDadRedemption

She is one of the best characters ever created by rockstar I hope rdr 3 is centered around her I want to play as her take her to the parlour and style and cut her hair , since she cant grow facial hair maybe we can do her nails, i like her raspy voice 

Billy Benedict

She wasn't trying to be a badass she suffered from "I truly don't care if I die" syndrome. Its the same thing virtually every Rockstar protagonist suffers from. She is properly traumatized after what happened to her in the grizzlies and she did not handle the trauma healthy at all. My only issue with the game is the same problem I have with most fiction revolving around revenge, and its the fact that nobody steps in to tell her that its other ways to deal with her pain.

Spoiler

In all honesty, it really stuck out here because that seemed to be a big theme in the game, and I kinda wish Arthur tried to give her a redemption arc like he tried to give John. Then again, John threw the high ground away and choose revenge over his family, putting the federals on his trail, and sealing his fate. I would place Sadie deep in the "Damnation" box of things, unfortunately. She was given her opportunity to see the pointlessness of revenge when she and Arthur rode on the O'Driscols and in all honestly, I truly believe that she didn't expect to make it. Her life has been a constant quest for assisted suicide ever since. I need to see the end of her story in DLC because she will ride recklessly until its finished for her, and thats more or less the perfect type of protagonist for an open world adventure game

feckyerlife
6 hours ago, anthony said:

I love her voice 

her voice sounds like she smokes 4 packs a day for 40 yrs

saintsrow

I've only done the first Sadie mission, when she and Arthur are sent to go shopping, but from the first impression of Sadie as a scared girl hiding behind a table in the intro mission, to her sudden transition to asskicker in that shopping mission, with no context or explanation, was jarring and clunky, IMO.  

Given all the "badass Sadie" hype that Rockstar threw at us in the trailers, I actually did not even recognize that it was Sadie hiding behind the table in that intro mission; I thought it was a daughter or something.  

So, yeah, it doesn't look like a very smooth story arc.  

feckyerlife
1 hour ago, bish0p2004 said:

I liked her at first, then all of sudden she becomes Superman and her character became obnoxious and felt like fan service for people who want women to be men with boobs.

I liked Karen and Abigail much more...especially Karen.  They seemed much more realistic for the time period...even the gunslinger lady for the stranger mission felt more realistic than Sadie.

I agree Karen is the best, then abigal

Nutduster
8 minutes ago, saintsrow said:

I've only done the first Sadie mission, when she and Arthur are sent to go shopping, but from the first impression of Sadie as a scared girl hiding behind a table in the intro mission, to her sudden transition to asskicker in that shopping mission, with no context or explanation, was jarring and clunky, IMO.  

They didn't do this too gracefully but it's not actually supposed to be a transition.  Basically you don't get to know what Sadie is like at all until the first mission with her in chapter 3, when you find out she was never a wilting violet at all and instead was a hard woman who did hard work all along, and had used a gun before and all that.  They could have introduced that more smoothly with a character-discovery mission in chapter 2, I think - a low-action one where you take her into Valentine or something.  They could have revealed what she's really like there, and then had her start shooting people in the chapter 3 mission.

As it is, in chapter 2 she just keeps her distance from the gang and is coming to terms with her life being ruined.  You get more of a sense of her if she's in the camp during ch. 2 (i.e. no bug that causes her to disappear) and you talk to her some, but it's not enough - she mostly just tells you to piss off.

confederatestatesgta

im not a huge fan of her voice. it is annoying sometimes. but for the most part i like her.

Shadowfennekin

I love her but Karen and Mary-Beth are better fit for the time period.... and I really wish they got to do more.

Sandereas

Yea I mos def wanna make sweet lovin to her

bish0p2004
34 minutes ago, Nutduster said:

They didn't do this too gracefully but it's not actually supposed to be a transition.  Basically you don't get to know what Sadie is like at all until the first mission with her in chapter 3, when you find out she was never a wilting violet at all and instead was a hard woman who did hard work all along, and had used a gun before and all that.  They could have introduced that more smoothly with a character-discovery mission in chapter 2, I think - a low-action one where you take her into Valentine or something.  They could have revealed what she's really like there, and then had her start shooting people in the chapter 3 mission.

As it is, in chapter 2 she just keeps her distance from the gang and is coming to terms with her life being ruined.  You get more of a sense of her if she's in the camp during ch. 2 (i.e. no bug that causes her to disappear) and you talk to her some, but it's not enough - she mostly just tells you to piss off.

Yeah, I got that part about the transition when I played.  Still, not only was the transition too fast from damsel in distress to straight up action hero, just the things she did later on in the game (especially during the epilogue) were way too forced in a game that's trying to be realistic, where's she traveling through the Old West by herself, taking out swarms of guys with ease.  I understand why Rockstar designed her the way they did due to current social changes...but I just didn't personally like it and one of the many aspects that took me out of the game...again, one that's aiming for realism.

They did a far better job of depicting a woman who can take care of herself (who didn't have to act straight up like a dude), but still had the vulnerability of a woman throughout the game, when they created Bonnie MacFarlane in RDR1.  Like I said earlier too, Karen was far more believable as well and she seemed like she can handle herself, but she didn't do impossible stuff either.

16 minutes ago, Shadowfennekin said:

I love her but Karen and Mary-Beth are better fit for the time period.... and I really wish they got to do more.

Yeah, I definitely thought we would have had more missions with Karen.  She would have definitely been a better fit, helping out in different ways, like stealing or seducing guys as a distraction during multiple missions.

Edited by bish0p2004

Nutduster
13 minutes ago, bish0p2004 said:

Yeah, I got that part about the transition when I played.  Still, not only was the transition too fast from damsel in distress to straight up action hero, just the things she did later on in the game (especially during the epilogue) were way too forced in a game that's trying to be realistic, where's she traveling through the Old West by herself, taking out swarms of guys with ease.  I understand why Rockstar designed her the way they did due to current social changes...but I just didn't personally like it and one of the many aspects that took me out of the game...again, one that's aiming for realism.

But it's not really aiming as much for realism as it seems. Arthur's body count in this game is higher than the combined totals of every Old West outlaw and bounty hunter that ever lived.  With deadeye you can headshot 10 guys 200 feet away.  The classic western protagonist, which Arthur is (more or less), is nothing like any real person - it's a massive exaggeration at best.  Is it really the end of the world if there's one woman in the gang that's even half as tough as he is?

Journey_95
46 minutes ago, Nutduster said:

But it's not really aiming as much for realism as it seems. Arthur's body count in this game is higher than the combined totals of every Old West outlaw and bounty hunter that ever lived.  With deadeye you can headshot 10 guys 200 feet away.  The classic western protagonist, which Arthur is (more or less), is nothing like any real person - it's a massive exaggeration at best.  Is it really the end of the world if there's one woman in the gang that's even half as tough as he is?

Well the difference is that that's gameplay, which will always be unrealistic. Arthur as a character isn't that over the top though and feels more human to me than Sadie who I actually liked but now in hindsight I do think Rockstar could have done a better job. As the female lead she is underdeveloped and too over the top to take seriously at times

damnfukk

Best Charakter in Game imO.

Would have really liked to play as her. She's like good ol' John as a Woman.

bish0p2004
1 hour ago, Nutduster said:

Yes it's the end of the world ahhhhh!

Of course there's levels to the realism for the sake of gameplay. Either way, the game is not aiming for fantasy either otherwise they might as well give everyone superhero powers and put dragons in the game.  Speaking of which, the deadeye system is not a super power, it's just a way for the developers to portray how fast the protagonist is due to the narrative of the story.  

Also, while Arthur is an exaggeration, there's plenty of real life videos of guys taking out multiple people with weapons or in hand to hand combat.

Edited by bish0p2004

TheSantader25

I felt she was "ok". One of the best females I've seen in a R* game. Expected more from her though based on the trailers. The only issue I had was the transition otherwise I didn't have a problem with having a badass cowgirl. The old west DID indeed have a couple of them. The fact that she turned into a widow could be the perfect explanation as well for why a woman acts so ruthless. The ONLY issue was the sudden transition. There should've been a mission where Arthur teaches her to shoot better or something. 

Ironically I didn't like Karen at all. She was the only person in camp I didn't care about. Not because I felt she was a poor character. Just because I don't like "weak" people who drink themselves to death because of their problems. 

Edited by TheSantader25