4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Qbert

Are cougars extinct?

R*Phenomenon

never find them when i  am looking for them.. always creeping up on me when i dont want them to..

RayD70

What's this about their only spawning at night?  Nonsense. I see more during the day.  Then again, I don't venture into cougar territory at night. :)

Shadowfennekin

I just came across two cougars within 5 minutes while walking around trying to find a damn moose -.-

And that was the same day mind you, barely 2 in-game hours between them and within the same area

They really seem to love showing up when you don't want them

Edited by Shadowfennekin

DentureDynamite
14 hours ago, Penicuikscotland2010 said:

Great Plains. I carried a dead one to Blackwater Saloon. Dumped it on the floor and everyone ran away from it. Was laughing my head off for ages haha. 

lol Never even thought of doing that!

I'm surprised you didn't get a wanted level or bounty for disturbing the peace. 8-O

Penicuikscotland2010
33 minutes ago, DentureDynamite said:

lol Never even thought of doing that!

I'm surprised you didn't get a wanted level or bounty for disturbing the peace. 8-O

Haha!! Try it. It's hilarious. 

DentureDynamite

I will. :) That is, if I actually succeed in killing it before it kills me. lol

teltow

Found one just sitting there on a lawn =) Easiest kill ever.

It must have been a compensation for waiting two full ingame days...well, waiting and shooting other animals instead which might have scared him away.

Oldsport

this game is so dumb, i have yet to find a moose. been playing since launch. i probably been by lake isabella looking for them more than anyone in this forum. all i find is dumb as5 bull elks but no moose. how stupid is this, i just need antlers for the last camp upgrade i have everything else including all satchels.  it just doesnt make sense

Mach1bud
5 minutes ago, Oldsport said:

this game is so dumb, i have yet to find a moose. been playing since launch. i probably been by lake isabella looking for them more than anyone in this forum. all i find is dumb as5 bull elks but no moose. how stupid is this, i just need antlers for the last camp upgrade i have everything else including all satchels.  it just doesnt make sense

Try the other spots then.

Oldsport
3 minutes ago, Mach1bud said:

Try the other spots then.

tried everywhere. for almost a whole day i been alternating between lake isabella, the place where the legendary moose was found and a couple other spots i seen people talking about. no avail. this doesnt make sense. im just missing about 40 more species of animals , im pretty sure i can study them when i get to guarma and new austin. but its really frustrating me how i cannot get the moose to spawn

Edited by Oldsport

Mach1bud
Just now, Oldsport said:

tried everywhere. for almost a whole day i been alternating between lake isabella, the place where the legendary moose was found and a couple other spots i seen people talking about. no avail. this doesnt make sense. 

Only one day? Mate it took me two weeks to find one, and it was a female lol. Just give it time. Do a mission or two to break up the searching. You will find one.

shackled_rosati

I have seen two cougars so far and Im in chapter 3. One sneak attacked me and ripped my throat out and the 2nd one tried but I saw it coming thanks to my horse and mini-map and dropped with both barrels of my shotgun. 

teltow

Once you found a cougar spawn spot you can shoot one every ingame day. I shoot one every time I'm in the proximity of the area where I found "mine". He's always there. Well 4 times so far that is.

And, I've only found mooses when looking for an elk =)

DirtCheap

Check the north-east of the map. 

You'll find plenty of neck-hungry felines there.

Orfan Loom

A small advice: When you first find the Deer Cottage on the map. 

If you start looting the cabin and spend some time inside, a cougar will appear outside waiting for you to come out and kill you.

So there's an easy cougar for ya.

I figured that the cougar spawns there because I've started a second playthrough. And in both my playghtroughs this happened.(Probably at night both times. I can't remember the first time was it day or night)

Edited by Orfan Loom

Rykjeklut

99% sure that I heard one just outside of Valentine. But my horses were full of pelts and carcasses, so I decided against finding it.

Deadman2112

Regarding cougars...

Yeah it seems as if they are not as frequent as they were in the first game. The more elusive animals require patients, stealth, and often potent bait. Regular bait simply isn't enough in most cases.

I get it. Most people go to YouTube and watch a video where someone gets the animal they are looking for in a matter of minutes, but that's because the video is edited. Most of the time it will not happen so easily.

Gone are the days of just riding to one location and finding a specific animal evey time (with the exception of the Legendary ones). All I can say is if you don't have patience then maybe RDR2 isn't he game for you.

I've found a few so far, but have only killed 3 of them.

Best tips I can offer are...

Watch your mini map. If the big cat spots you first it will pop up as a red dot.

Keep an eye out for dead animals on the mini map that you didn't kill. If you come across them it could be a sign one is in the area.

Look for fleeing animals. If you are being stealthy and not making noise but see fleeing animals this could be one. Animals only run from you, traveling NPC's, and predators.

Passing NPC's all of a sudden start riding fast. NPC's rarely change their speed or direction unless startled by something. If you see this behavior it's probably a good indicator a predator is near.

Keep in mind, they are ambush predators, and it's been my experience that they are most often found lurking in the trees, bushes, and brush just off a trail, waiting to pounce on unsuspecting travelers.

Last bit of advice I can offer is pay attention to your horse. If there is one in the area your horse will more then likely spot or sense it long before you do and if it does get off quickly and be ready for the shot because in most cases it happens fast.

If your still having trouble finding them this may also help...

2 of the ones I killed with ease were programmed to spawn because of the random event where the guy is up a tree, yelling for his life.

If your quick, you can save him and if your accurate with the bow/improved arrows you can get the clean kill.

One happened slightly north west of Valentine but I'm not sure of the exact location.

The other random event appears to always spawn slightly south of the base camp in chapter 2. I'm on my second play through and it was there in both plays. Its roughly between the base camp and the guy that offers to sell you the map. However it doesn't seem to spawn until after you have talked to both the paleontologist, and the map guy. Once both of the question marks are gone leave the area, wait till night and head back into that general area. Once you are there listen for a guy yelling.

The other two cougars were both in the same location however, one of them got to me before I was able to get the shot off. They were located north west of Annesburg. Right by the wolfman's cave, just a little bit north of the Viking burial chamber.

Edited by Deadman2112

HopalongCasidy

I can think of 6 different spawn points that have yielded multiple cougs.  Three are marked on the map.  The Moose is rarer, but they do exist.  The frozen lake east of lake isabella I’ve gotten one twice.  

Already having a large pelt on the back of your ride may help.

Deadman2112
9 minutes ago, HopalongCasidy said:

I can think of 6 different spawn points that have yielded multiple cougs.  Three are marked on the map.  The Moose is rarer, but they do exist.  The frozen lake east of lake isabella I’ve gotten one twice.  

Already having a large pelt on the back of your ride may help.

Yes. The moose is another one that is hard to find. The location he gave is a grate place to find them and another I find them at is...

The little pond where the Legendary Buck is found.

I've come across several at that location.

Maybe it's just dumb luck regarding the time of day I've come across them, but they seem to like the early morning and especially when it's misty/foggy.

Edited by Deadman2112

JumpingKentFlash

The road right below the legendary moose area. If I trot at normal speed in there, crossing the river around daytime/early evening, there’s always one that appears at the side of the road.

Shadowfennekin
2 hours ago, JumpingKentFlash said:

The road right below the legendary moose area. If I trot at normal speed in there, crossing the river around daytime/early evening, there’s always one that appears at the side of the road.

Not for me.

Tried that location and every other single one hundreds of times

This sh*t is as rigged as Vegas

Marcinguy

At this point I've just kind of given up on trying to complete the outfits. It's time to just leisurely explore and when those elusive animals pop up I'lll look to take them down then. I've started doing this and have since killed two perfect cougars. One actually spawned on the beach right south of Annsburg. I was hunting seagulls of all things and I see what looks like a dog coming toward me right there on the beach. Nope, Cougar! Luckily it was still so far away I was able to pick the right weapon and take it down clean.

I also came across a Grizzly bear up in the mountains on a frozen lake with a little cabin next to it, right near the starting area.  It was facing off against a wolf in what seemed to be a scripted sequence. It ended up chasing the wolf off and I bagged myself a perfect grizzly bear pelt, so if anyone's looking for one of those you can try up there. Edit: looked up the name, it's Barrow Lagoon, with a cabin on the north shore.

Edited by Marcinguy

paddymcg
2 hours ago, Shadowfennekin said:

Not for me.

Tried that location and every other single one hundreds of times

This sh*t is as rigged as Vegas

Have you tried going to a spawn point e.g. Lake Isabella then saving and reloading if it's not there?

You don't need to close the game just simply set up camp, save it and load that save then check for the moose and if it's not there just reload and check again.

I used this and it worked after like 4-5 times reloading.

sodoff

I never see them until it's too late. Damn kitty!

Mafia Assassin®

Regarding the Moose, I have found 10 in 2 playthroughs: 6 in Cattail Pond (close to the Legendary Bighorn Ram location), 2 in Barrow Lagoon, 1 swimming in Owanjilla (to my surprise) and 1 in Calumet Ravine.

I wouldn't mind with the Moose's rarity if it wasn't by the fact that they can also show up with a 2 star pelt, the last 5 moose that I found it were 2 star, so obviously useless for crafting.

Is there anyway to make the Buck Trinket work with big animals? In my game it only works with small game (rats, squirrels, birds, etc)

Edited by Mafia Assassin®

Satanta
On 11/20/2018 at 5:43 AM, Deadman2112 said:

Regarding cougars...

Yeah it seems as if they are not as frequent as they were in the first game. The more elusive animals require patients, stealth, and often potent bait. Regular bait simply isn't enough in most cases.

I get it. Most people go to YouTube and watch a video where someone gets the animal they are looking for in a matter of minutes, but that's because the video is edited. Most of the time it will not happen so easily.

Gone are the days of just riding to one location and finding a specific animal evey time (with the exception of the Legendary ones). All I can say is if you don't have patience then maybe RDR2 isn't he game for you.

I've found a few so far, but have only killed 3 of them.

Best tips I can offer are...

Watch your mini map. If the big cat spots you first it will pop up as a red dot.

Keep an eye out for dead animals on the mini map that you didn't kill. If you come across them it could be a sign one is in the area.

Look for fleeing animals. If you are being stealthy and not making noise but see fleeing animals this could be one. Animals only run from you, traveling NPC's, and predators.

Passing NPC's all of a sudden start riding fast. NPC's rarely change their speed or direction unless startled by something. If you see this behavior it's probably a good indicator a predator is near.

Keep in mind, they are ambush predators, and it's been my experience that they are most often found lurking in the trees, bushes, and brush just off a trail, waiting to pounce on unsuspecting travelers.

Last bit of advice I can offer is pay attention to your horse. If there is one in the area your horse will more then likely spot or sense it long before you do and if it does get off quickly and be ready for the shot because in most cases it happens fast.

If your still having trouble finding them this may also help...

Hide contents

2 of the ones I killed with ease were programmed to spawn because of the random event where the guy is up a tree, yelling for his life.

If your quick, you can save him and if your accurate with the bow/improved arrows you can get the clean kill.

One happened slightly north west of Valentine but I'm not sure of the exact location.

The other random event appears to always spawn slightly south of the base camp in chapter 2. I'm on my second play through and it was there in both plays. Its roughly between the base camp and the guy that offers to sell you the map. However it doesn't seem to spawn until after you have talked to both the paleontologist, and the map guy. Once both of the question marks are gone leave the area, wait till night and head back into that general area. Once you are there listen for a guy yelling.

The other two cougars were both in the same location however, one of them got to me before I was able to get the shot off. They were located north west of Annesburg. Right by the wolfman's cave, just a little bit north of the Viking burial chamber.

Good advice tho the dead animals laying about never made me think of Cougars-seen a few but always figured it was one that perhaps had been shot and wandered away or such.

The Cougar animation where it gets on your back and crushes your neck and skull?  Spot on.  

Only thing I've found around Anniesburg is, what I assume to be. eaters of people-got shot off my horse and managed to get some distance, get my rifles out and planned to hunt them down but no joy-they were screaming "We're gonna eat you RAW!" or some such crap.   I planned to give them indigestion.

Go Team Venture

I wish they were extinct lol... Every time I hunt the legendary moose I get tackled

Deadman2112

Yeah, if all that other stuff fails you can also try this...

I've noticed is the animal AI is not bad. Possums play dead, Eagles snatch snakes from the water, bears fish in streams, and so much more. 

One thing that stands out is the behavior of all the ambush type predators.

...Wolves for example, like to come out of nowhere and attack when you are on horseback. The cougar AI seems to be similar but with one big cat at a time.

That's not to say you won't run across more then one but it's more likely you'll find them alone.

In light of the fact that they like to ambush you while on horseback...

Find a trail through an area you know they spawn and ride along it. You don't want to be moving at full sprint but more of a leisurely pace. 

...a slow gallop.

Not sure if this will make a difference either but you could try riding with a deer on the back of your horse.

You will probably only get one maybe two in any given area, but after that I wouldn't waist my time and move to a new location far away from that area just hunted.

Edited by Deadman2112

singemfrc

Wait till you try to find a moose