4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Qbert

Are cougars extinct?

Qbert

So I have seen tons of other animals and birds but these cougars seem like they near extinction or something. I have maybe encountered and killed 4 or 5 in total even before knowing you need 8 of them for something(I don't know how spoilers work). I have seen the locations online about where they are but even when I go there you can't hunt them really, you could (and I have) walk around the area for 2 real hours and not even see a cougar track let alone a cougar itself. It seems as if the game is treating them more like random encounters rather than actual wildlife deer moose birds etc. I also seen more locations for them seem to be on different part of the map than I am so I don't know if that's got anything to do with it or not because I remember my days on red dead riding through tumbleweed it seemed cougars grew on trees.

Edited by Qbert
Forgot word

Nutduster

They seem super rare. I've seen them most near the legendary moose location. Hunt at night and try potent predator bait, or just ride back and forth through the area for a while at night and you might get attacked.

Fun story: a cougar sneak-attacked me while I was shooting the legendary moose and insta-killed me.

Mach1bud

As Arthur says-

"The thing about Cougars, you don't see them, they see you."

Cougars are elusive creatures, that's how they can catch their prey, suprise attack. I mean, I've walked around cougar/bear areas irl many times, never seen either of them. It's just one of those things. I really like it, it seems special when you see a cougar, grizzly, panther, moose, etc etc.

Meekail

I only ever saw one when I was going up the hill to do the Marko Dragic mission

Oldsport

nope but mooses sure are

Shadowfennekin
8 minutes ago, Oldsport said:

nope but mooses sure are

Still never found one. lol Or a panther.....

OP do you got New Austin unlocked?

The LA area on Couila Springs is a rattlesnake/cougar spawn location. That's how I completed the 5 cougar challenge, you've got to sleep 24 hours between cougar encounters too from what I read.... I did that just in case so I can't vouch if it's true or not, just wanted that challenge over with

Qbert

I see bears all the time wolves moose you name it but these cougar seem off. I have better luck finding panthers than these and really do believe they are glitched somehow, or like I said maybe in this game they are programmed to be more of a random encounter rather than a animal that can be hunted. Earlier I spent 1 1/2 hrs running through cougar country looking for any signs of the animal and nothing, I get on my horse to leave and bam it attacks my horse. Talking to some hunter friends of mine cougars while incredibly silent hunters can still be hunted and do leave trails

Sebor

go to new Austin if your done with the main story. there are many there

Jmac

I see them all the time near the trapper northwest of Strawberry ???  

I'm still on Chapter 2 ... maybe they decrease in frequency as you advance the story?

Edited by Jmac

RayD70
4 hours ago, Jmac said:

I see them all the time near the trapper northwest of Strawberry ???  

I'm still on Chapter 2 ... maybe they decrease in frequency as you advance the story?

Nah. I seemed to run into them far more often in Chapter 6.

Or maybe I was just spending more time in cougar country.

DentureDynamite

Don't ask me how I know(!), but you don't want to be attacked by a cougar (or a pack of wolves)--traveling at night is just asking for an encounter.

Your horse is your best early warning system--he'll alert you that something isn't right.

Dismount quickly (or you'll be thrown off if the predator gets too close); be vigilant, and have your biggest, baddest piece of weaponry ready. 8-O

Edited by DentureDynamite

The FoolYT

I see panthers a plenty, near the south of Lemonye there is a forest there which spawns them

I only see cougars when they make that weird ass growl. Had one encounter outside black water where it slapped my horse and then ran away. About 3 near legendary moose location and one more near the start of the game the first camp (it was a random encounter but a cougar is a cougar.

Marcinguy

Cougars seem to roam mostly in the Roanoke area, or the Northeast part of the map as far I've seen. I've been attacked by cougars up there every once in while, but not too often. 

Has anyone tried a potent carnivore bait up around there? Any luck?

Jason

Roanoke Ridge area near the big waterfall is the best spot to find them before you can access the Great Plains, where they're f*cking everywhere.

¡MAYDAY!

You will have better luck finding cougars and wolves if you hunt for them at night. I got the cougars I needed by Brandywine drop in Roanoke.

Edited by ¡MAYDAY!

Billy Benedict

Potential environmental spoilers 

Spoiler

One attacks me EVERYTIME I ride past the north side entrance of where beachers hope was in RDR

Ghoffman9

I believe animals such as cougars and panthers have set spawn points, where they are always found. I know of a few when I need a specific pelt. I always find them in the same area during repeat visits. Once you kill it you gotta give a few in-game days for the body to disappear before it can be found in the same spot again.

lordbancs

So I just got killed by one 4 times in a row on the way to catfish Jackson's from the camp near Saint Denis. 

They're right, you really won't see it, very crafty bastards. I set out potent predator bait and it ignored that completely and attacked me from behind.

Edit: Mine was actually a "Florida Panther"

Edited by lordbancs

damnfukk

2 Days +  spent in RDR². Not seen anything  like a Cougar or even a Panther. lol

In RDR¹ you got attacked all the frecking time.

DentureDynamite

^^ lol Come ride with me, and with my "luck" I'll introduce you to hordes of cougars and wolves...

TheSantader25

They are mostly in West Elizabeth(West of Strawberry) and North East of the map. My horse probably has thrown me off 10 times crossing those places. 

Qbert

Yeah I still don't have much luck encountering them even visiting locations mentioned above...with the exception of the original red dead map cause it's not unlocked for me yet I suspect I will have more luck when it unlocks. I still believe they are programmed more like random encounters or they aren't just very native to the side of map I'm on, in red dead 1 certain animals only were found in mexico.  

Penicuikscotland2010

Great Plains. I carried a dead one to Blackwater Saloon. Dumped it on the floor and everyone ran away from it. Was laughing my head off for ages haha. 

Vice Beach

Cougars are sort of “scripted.” They only spawn at night. And usually one per night if you encounter one. So you’ll need to set up camp in an area with cougars on the map. Bait won’t work. They’ll spawn on the road by you. So just keep riding down the road in a cougar area until you find one then sleep.

I see plenty of everything, except for the ones I am hunting for. As like the game knows what I'm hunting for and hides them all under Harry Potter's invisibility cloak when I am near.

I am lucky with the legendaries so far. Missing one or two, but all were there when I entered the areas. Never had to wait or force-spawn them. 

MagicNarcosis

I got insta killed by a sneak attacking cougar. 

He leaped from the right of my screen and destroyed me. 

Edited by MagicNarcosis

graffix0

I just had to come on hear to vent about those dang cougars. I set out to hunt the Legendary Moose, riding out from the Horseshoe Overlook Camp with an extra horse preparing for a potentially nice hunt. Along the way I was able to get 2 perfect deer pelts, a perfect cougar pelt, AND a perfect bear pelt, all before killing the Legendary Moose. So with a freshly skinned legendary moose over my shoulder, I'm heading back to my second horse when a cougar attacks me out of f'n no where. Instakill. Legendary Moose pelt has been sent to the trappers and all my perfect pelts are gone.

Pocket Fox

I've seen one kill a person on a road, then it ran up to me, spooked my horse, I got thrown and then it tried to attack...

But akimbo sawn off shotguns said... no

DirtCheap

I have almost completed the game and so far, I have found only 6 cougars.

But because of that nasty sneak attack they do, I don't really miss them.

LeonVegaSuarez

There's a bunch in the woods north of Annesburg. 

Also in the very west of the map near the trapper. Black Bone Forest. Ride up and down the road at night and you should see a cougar spawn a bit south of the trapper. Sleep for 24 hours and repeat.