4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

WarButler

Combat FX Upgrade

WarButler

SSk0mt3.png

Building on the great work of Function-X and Ezekiel, I've put together a collection of effects that aims to breathe new life into SA's combat. I've re-textured all muzzle flash, explosion, and fire effects and redone much of the explosion script to create fully animated, more dynamic explosions. I've also made a new prt_blood and prt_spark. Using DK22Pac's fantastic EffectLoader.asi means that this collection is completely modular; you can use as many or as few of these effects as you'd like without having to replace anything in your main effects.fxp or txd files. The textures are all low-resolution (but lovely), meaning that the impact on performance should be less than other effect mods. I aimed to create an effects package that felt more modern and cinematic, learning from the best elements of other effects mods and (hopefully) improving on them further! I hope you enjoy, and I welcome any and all feedback!

Here's an overview of what's in the mod:

Muzzle Flashes

• The muzzle flash scripts are from Overdose 1.5, with textures that I either edited from images of real gunfire, or from professional-grade VFX assets (ActionVFX). The only textures I haven't changed from Overdose are some of the shotgun sparks and the long Desert Eagle flash, though I have edited the "core" of this flash to try and replicate the "ring of fire" effect that Desert Eagles produce.

Screenshots!

Spoiler

5wMmrM8.jpg

vFyN6Kk.jpg

1Uz9m9E.jpg

H8MsayE.jpg

dNohCyH.jpg

s7Vi5DW.jpg

SdaskO9.jpg

wZYF0UD.jpg

Explosions

• The explosion scripts are based on Remastered Effects, with textures that I edited from a video game sprites blog (spritefx.blogspot). I've made numerous changes to the script, to make the most of the animation feature and to slow down the explosions a little, following user feedback that they were disappearing too quickly (Explosion Update link underneath main download below). Every fireball and smoke element is now an animated sequence of 4 textures. I've added a quick flash at the start of each explosion, again based on Remastered Effects script, which increases the perceived "impact" of each explosion, in my opinion. If you look closely (or slow down time), you'll see that this flash is also animated! I've also animated the trails or "spikes" that shoot off from some explosions (Second video. The first video still contains a couple of the original Remastered Effects textures) 

Video clips

Fire

• The fire script is based on Remastered Effects once again, but with significant alterations including new animated smoke. The textures are from a royalty-free image site (purepng), and free smoke textures from the Unity store. I remade the fire_large effect from Remastered, as it did not behave correctly (for me, at least) and simply flickered, halfway stuck in the ground. The result is a more natural, "flamey" behaviour.

More screenshots!

Spoiler

UnkrpKe.jpg

QZLKLma.jpg

Blood

• The blood effect might just be my favourite effect in this whole mod! The script is basically an amalgamation of bits and pieces of Overdose, Remastered and New Great Effects, with textures from Overdose 1.3 and deviantart (blood drop image by user moonglowlilly, edited by myself). I re-purposed the expanding blood splatter textures from Overdose 1.3 with a new script, as well as editing the blood droplet script from Project Overhaul to create "heavier", or faster-falling, blood drops. I also added an animated blood mist effect with smoke textures from spritefx. I recommend turning off BLOODSPOTS IN IMFX, as it adds saturation to the blood and will make it appear too bright. Use Enhanced Particle by Junior_Djjr for extra blood pool textures.

Sparks

• The sparks script is a heavily edited Overdose effect, with new textures of real sparks. I added several components such as the animated smoke cloud and rising "spikes" of dust. This was based on an unused effect inside the Overdose Effects fxp: bh_concrete. I scaled down the spikes, as their behaviour seemed somewhat extreme, and combined them with the spark script to create a realistic bullet impact effect that is reminiscent of more modern game effects. 

Another video! (includes some effects that have since been updated. See my most recent posts!)

Others

• Overheating vehicle effects from Remastered Effects (with new fire textures) - works best with EnhanceFX by Junior_Djjr
  • prt_spark2 from Remastered Effects. It fits with the aesthetic of this mod better than the Overdose prt_spark2, in my opinion.
  • headshot from Overdose with gore textures from BadassBaboon's Project Overhaul
  • water_splash from Overdose effects. In case you use Remastered Effects but want bullet impacts on the water.
  • tree_hit_fir and tree_hit_palm from Overdose with new leaf textures.
  • cigarette_smoke from Overdose 1.5.
  • gunsmoke from Overdose 1.5.  Function-X's beautifully animated gun smoke. This is the effect that made me realise the potential of the animation function in fxp!

CREDITS

• Function-X: Muzzle flash script, sparks script, blood textures
  • Ezekiel: Explosion script, fire script, various particle textures
  • [SAK*]KING_OF_SA: Blood droplet script
  • Junior_Djjr: EnhanceFX script
  • BadassBaboon: Headshot gore textures, blood drop script
  • cgman at spritefx.blogspot: Explosion and smoke textures
  • ActionVFX: Muzzle flash textures
  • Unity Labs Paris: Smoke Textures
  • WarButler: Mounting, texture editing, script + changes/fixes. 

DOWNLOAD

V1.1 EXPLOSION UPDATE

I'm updating all of the explosions, making them last a bit longer and making various improvements to their behaviour. Once I have all of the explosions done, I'll merge them with the main CFXU download. But for now, click here to download the v1.1 explosions that I've made so far:

V1.1 Explosions Download

Spoiler

CONTENTS:

explosion_airstrike
explosion_fuel_car
explosion_medium
explosion_grenade
explosion_grenadelauncher

explosion_large
explosion_rocket

explosion_satchel

MORE v1.1 EXPLOSIONS COMING SOON:

explosion_molotov
explosion_small
explosion_tiny

Edited by WarButler

Junior_Djjr

The best currently available. Good job, man.

WarButler
4 hours ago, Junior_Djjr said:

The best currently available. Good job, man.

Thank you Junior! That means a lot :)

In45do

This is awesome! But there's one thing I want to change. How can I change the speed of fire movements?

WarButler
8 hours ago, In45do said:

This is awesome! But there's one thing I want to change. How can I change the speed of fire movements?

Thanks! I'm away from my PC right now but I'll look at the fxs files later today. Perhaps the EMSPEED or JITTER infos might be the things you're looking for?

Edit: Actually, increasing the ANIMTEX values would have the effect of slowing down the movements, I'll play around with it since I'm back at my PC.

Edited by WarButler

WarButler

I increased the ANIMTEX values to slow down the fire's movement, I also made it a touch larger (EMSIZE). I might make more tweaks, including to fire_large, but let me know if this is what you were looking for, @In45do:

[link deleted]

EDIT: New version of the fire posted below, and added to main download.

Edited by WarButler
deleted link to old version

Junior_Djjr

Increase the initial fire height.

0000+-+Copia.jpg

This may even help you not need the use of Soft Particles.

And also notice that the smoke from the fire comes from below, that is, it is causing poor performance and increasing particles in the game unnecessarily.

Yes, they are not your problems, but it's worth you to fix it.

And the blood particle is very saturated and clear, not realistic, should be darker.

0000+-+Copia.jpg

WarButler
1 hour ago, Junior_Djjr said:

Increase the initial fire height.

Spoiler

0000+-+Copia.jpg

This may even help you not need the use of Soft Particles.

And also notice that the smoke from the fire comes from below, that is, it is causing poor performance and increasing particles in the game unnecessarily.

Yes, they are not your problems, but it's worth you to fix it.

And the blood particle is very saturated and clear, not realistic, should be darker.

Spoiler

0000+-+Copia.jpg

Ah yeah, I'd forgotten about that falling smoke. I'll take a look at it. As for the blood, it seems that BLOODSPOTS in IMFX adds saturation. Turning it off makes the colour more realistic and you can use Enhanced Particle for your blood spots instead. However, I will also change the colour of the blood to try and get it looking right with IMFX! Thanks for the feedback 

EDIT: I've fixed the falling smoke issue (EMSPEED BIAS value was the culprit), and I've replaced 3 separate emitters with 1 animated one (with new textures!), as well as removing 2 further emitters that, as far as I could tell, were broken. I'll start looking into the starting height of the flames next, then the blood colour.

Edited by WarButler

In45do
10 hours ago, WarButler said:

I increased the ANIMTEX values to slow down the fire's movement, I also made it a touch larger (EMSIZE). I might make more tweaks, including to fire_large, but let me know if this is what you were looking for, @In45do:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/am9bz9l3kj71r5w/fire.7z/file

I have test it but the fire still moving too fast. Also I have increased the time value myself. Maybe it's not ANIMTEX time value?

LaDiDa
41 minutes ago, In45do said:

I have test it but the fire still moving too fast. Also I have increased the time value myself. Maybe it's not ANIMTEX time value?

Are you running the game with frame limiter on or off, if it's off that might be your culprit.

In45do
3 hours ago, LaDiDa said:

Are you running the game with frame limiter on or off, if it's off that might be your culprit.

I tried both settings and it didn't work. I think I'll get used to it. ;)

WarButler
18 minutes ago, In45do said:

I tried both settings and it didn't work. I think I'll get used to it. ;)

Strange, it's looking OK to me. Nonetheless, I'll upload a new version of the fire later today. I've deleted 1000+ lines from the fxs and if anything it looks more natural, I think. Maybe it'll behave better for you.

Also regarding the blood, I can get it looking good either with IMFX BLOODSPOTS on or off, but not both. I'll have another go later on, but for now I recommend turning BLOODSPOTS off and using Enhanced Particle for your blood pool textures. But I'll keep working on it!

LaDiDa

Enhanced Particle works better on my end anyway, for whatever reason the IMFX bloodspots crash my game after a while.

WarButler

New and improved fire! Still got some work to do on fire_med, but both fire and fire_large are behaving much more "flamey"! And the particles shouldn't spawn underground anymore @Junior_Djjr

:)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/83h8vf3h8tfxp26/fire_fix.7z/file

EDIT: Added the new fire to the main download

Edited by WarButler

Junior_Djjr

And if instead of uploading in Mediafire you use Github?

Your mod is very related to text codes and images, you could update the files as a repository in Github (or if you want more productivity, really use some Git software, but it's an extra job for anyone who has never used it before). So, the effects are always updated in Github, without having to make reuploads, and other people can contribute easily.

There you can publish the download of all codes with all files or download a development version easily.

Edited by Junior_Djjr

WarButler
On 11/17/2018 at 8:20 PM, Junior_Djjr said:

And if instead of uploading in Mediafire you use Github?

Your mod is very related to text codes and images, you could update the files in Github (or if you want more productivity, really use some Git software, but it's an extra job for anyone who has never used it before). So, the effects are always updated in Github, without having to make reuploads, and other people can contribute easily.

There you can publish the download of all codes with all files or download a development version easily.

That's probably a good idea! I'll check it out. I've never used it before but I'll surely learn how it all works. In the meantime, I've made some tweaks to the explosions based on some user feedback. For the vehicle and rocket explosions, the fireballs now last 50% longer, and the explosion smoke lasts 100% longer. Plus I've added a bit of rotation to the particles, and turned down the spikey explosion tails a bit. If feedback is positive then I'll replace the explosions in the main download.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3z5j0j5i6jzln9n/CFXU_-_Explosion_Update.7z/file

Here's a video of the updated rocket explosions:

Edited by WarButler
fixed link

WarButler

Thanks for the heads up, it should be fixed now.

Also I think that the reason some people find the explosions too fast is that I use DeltaTimeFix.asi, which slows the gameplay down to a more consistent and realistic pace. I realise not everybody might prefer this, so I'm thinking of slowing the explosions down further but keeping them as a separate option.

For example, here is an even slower explosion_fuel_car: https://www.mediafire.com/file/6xmeytoq8vxe9ii/explosion_fuel_car.7z/file

Let me know what you think! Keep in mind I don't want to go full Overdose. 

LaDiDa

Thankfully you don't go overdose, I never liked the excess effects usage. Deltatimefix isn't an option on my game though, for whatever reason it crashes when opening the parachute 😑, can't figure out why, tried it on a clean game, no dice. Plus things go a bit too slow to the point where it feels like input lag.

WarButler

I personally like the slower speed when using DeltaTimeFix, but I went back and forth for a while before I got used to it. Then again, I'm going for a more realistic feel to my game. The crashing thing is definitely not a matter of personal preference, though! (Although my game used to crash when opening the parachute, but it started working again and I don't know why...) Therefore I have spent most of today reworking the explosions with DeltaTimeFix disabled, so I can see what everyone else is seeing. I've come up with a new explosion_rocket and I think it's good. Since I'd slowed it down, I had to make some changes to its behaviour. Still working on the rest of the explosions, but I'll post updates throughout the week! Here's a video:

EDIT: And here's a link to the effect. 

EDIT 2: Aaannd the link should now work...

Since the video, I've added a short fade-in to the smoke so that the fireball is more visible at the beginning of the explosion

http://www.mediafire.com/file/97gzqv2auj80jid/explosion_rocket.7z/file

Edited by WarButler
fixed link... again

4Arty

link is broken

Ezekiel

Nice to see you having fun with this.I admit I was impatient and in hurry when I did this Remastered Effects,textures wasn't the best,got bored after 2 weeks,launching game-in and out 1000 times per day checking those numbers I put in fxp one by one.I have nothing against you editing our stuff.My point is now that this can go better,and will be made once again from scratch (by Me)-no scripts.I started it this month,so 2 time which means I have even more experience this time.

Don't get this wrong,my first fxp have bugs,glad you are fixing.I laugh at my first edited fxp,next version will be awesome all I can say,but it won't be released in years,and will be part of giant project.

All this you are doing is welcome,good luck.

ok least something to show / wip

NWdkicU.jpg

Edited:

Ops,there you go,it didn't take too long to pop out,

I am still modding

Sorry for offtopic,I won't be disturbing you all anymore

Edited by Ezekiel

WarButler

Thank you Ezekiel, I truly appreciate your blessing. I empathise, even editing somebody else's fxp takes SO MUCH TIME. Building it from the ground up would be another thing entirely. I've enjoyed the process, but I am starting to dream in fxp...

I look forward to seeing this new project of yours! If you wish, feel free to use any of the changes I've made. Or not :). And please, no need to apologise! Your input is always welcome.

Also I've made more changes to explosion_fuel_car. I think I've found a good middle ground in terms of the speed of the explosion. Has a rising "woomph" effect while still feeling powerful. Well, I think so anyway ;).. I've also made a small change to the bright lense flare effect at the very start of the explosion. I realised that it had stopped displaying for me months ago when watching old game footage. I increased its duration by 0.002. Anyway, video and link below (let's see if I don't break the link this time...)

EDIT: APPARENTLY IT'S STILL TOO FAST OH WELL. I might slow it down a bit further, but if I slow it down too far the animation starts looking a bit sh*t. I'll see what I can do. Another day...

Vehicle Explosions: http://www.mediafire.com/file/9k17du0061e9s9d/explosion_fuel_car.7z/file

Edited by WarButler
added video and link to new explosion

Junior_Djjr

The remastered effects' script was released exclusively for that mod, I think it's bullsh*t, more people should use it.

I'm now re-releasing independently and open, named EnhanceFX (like Enhance ParticleTXD). It includes a big change, working better and without problems with chaotic scenes (the old one stops applying vehicles in very chaotic scenes, by limitations).

https://sharemods.com/rwz3rc534fz7/EnhanceFX.7z.html

Edited by Junior_Djjr

Junior_Djjr

↑ there was a idiot error that makes the game crash, fixed now. Thanks to gas34ter.

WarButler

A couple of updates! Took some time away from the mod because I was literally having dreams about explosions. I've spent an unreasonable amount of time on the vehicle explosions and I think I might have finally found the sweet spot for their duration. God, I hope so... Though they'll never last as long as the Overdose or New Great Effects explosions. That just ain't happening. I think they're looking better than ever, though. Also got some new textures for the rocket and aircraft explosions. Grenade and satchel explosions are causing me headaches though, so I'll release their updates at a later date. Once I'm 100% happy with all of the explosions, I'll add them to the main CFXU folder. I've been having trouble with my NVIDIA GeForce Experience that I use to record gameplay, hence the lack of videos. Hopefully I can sort it out soon.

Here is the latest version of explosion_fuel_car, explosion_rocket, and explosion_airstrike:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/obwkrh7oo1bea1q/CFXU_-_Explosion_Update_1.1.7z/file

Also I'd just like to say thank you to everybody who's downloaded the mod so far! I've seen a couple of videos of people using it and I get a kick out of it every time. I've learned a lot since I first started and I hope I can continue to improve and make this mod the best it can be. Stay tuned!

WarButler

I've updated the Explosion Update link (above) to include a new version of explosion_grenade, and a couple of changes to some other explosions too. NVIDIA GeForce Experience is still being a big pile of crap, but I managed to record this video before it broke again. I've also put a link in the main post to the new explosions. More coming soon!

Mysterdogg

Great to see you followed my advice with the RPG explosion 😄, it's looking so much better now! by the way, the explosion tails in this update are awesome, they look so smooth. 

WarButler

Thanks Mysterdogg! The new textures really lent themselves to a rounder explosion.

To tide you over until the next explosion update, here is a slightly edited prt_spark and prt_smokeII_3_expand:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/yh4xtbfvonlv00n/CFXU_-_Sparks_and_Smoke.7z/file

I added a small flash to the initial spark impact, and made a very slight change to the smoky "spikes". I've also made the sparks a touch less transparent so they stand out more. Prt_smokeII_3_expand has new textures, but no changes to the behaviour yet. I received a comment that said the tire smoke was a bit exaggerated, but since this effect is used for several different effects, it's tricky to find the right balance. It's hardly any different from the Remastered Effects script, so perhaps the textures were the issue. We shall see. I'll come back to it, but explosions are my priority right now, though. My next goal is to update the molotov and satchel explosions. Molotovs are proving a bit trickier.

Mysterdogg
55 minutes ago, WarButler said:

I received a comment that said the tire smoke was a bit exaggerated, but since this effect is used for several different effects, it's tricky to find the right balance.

Probably Junior could change that with his EnhanceFX script, which is similar to IMFX, so you could make a more realistic effect like GTA IV or V but also another game or even real life ;)