Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
      4. Frontier Pursuits
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. DLC
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
      7. The Diamond Casino Heist
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA IV Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA SA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA VC Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA III Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Journey_95

Vote for RDR2 in The Game Awards

Recommended Posts

Guest Guest176525326
3 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

Why do I have a feeling that the Housers not showing up made them ultimately not getting the award. Everything was leading to RDR2 winning. The GOW announcement was so anti climatic. I think R* finally got punished for not properly appearing in these events. 

How did R* get punished exactly? By not winning a lousy GOTY award? Or by making $750,000,000 in its first 3 days. 

 

Yeah, the Housers are crying at this moment, lol

Edited by Guest176525326

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zello
3 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

Why do I have a feeling that the Housers not showing up made them ultimately not getting the award. Everything was leading to RDR2 winning. The GOW announcement was so anti climactic. I think R* finally got punished for not properly appearing in these events. 

They rarely show up. Usually some other people from Rockstar accept the awards for them. The only time they show up is if they themselves are getting honored like for a lifetime achievement award or something.

Edited by KY Jello

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Journey_95
Just now, Emmi said:

The Housers barely attend to events like this ... also maybe they knew the chance for GOTY was minimal?

 

Current standings - overall GOTY awards

God of War: 4

RDR2: 2

 

I think God of War will end up with many more GOTY awards than RDR2.


Trusted Reviews (UK) : God of War

EE Pocket-lint Gadget Awards (UK) : God of War

TIME (US) : God of War

Golden Joystick Awards (UK) : Fortnite Battle Royale

Golden Joystick Critics Choice (UK) : Red Dead Redemption 2

Premios Xataka (ES) : Red Dead Redemption 2

Paste Magazine (US) : Florence

The Game Awards (US) : God of War
 

I hope not, that would be depressing but sadly this is a The Last of us/GTA V esque situation again. Back then it was a bit more understandable since The last of us did have a better story (as a game I think GTA V is still better tbh) but this time it wouldn't be deserved at all

6 minutes ago, Display Name said:

Right... Because God of War had such an exceptional gameplay? Not really. There's no depth to GoW combat mechanics. You mash same buttons all day. Previous GoW games had much better gameplay but they botched it down for wider audiences, like they do will all those generic PS4 exclusives. RDRs2 gameplay is at least deeper and there are multiple gameplay experiences hidden within one game like shooting, hunting or fishing. All require different skills to master. God of War though? You just attack, throw axe, use runes and press a button to make locked "cinematic" kill. Let's not even start talking about size of the game. 15 hours linear experience with the same gameplay loop over and over vs 40 hour long main story, an online component and a lot of other content. That one furry must have cursed the stage or something, that or journalists were paid of by Sony.

The Sony exclusives circlejerk is real,especially since The Last of us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Display Name
Just now, Journey_95 said:

I hope not, that would be depressing but sadly this is a The Last of us/GTA V esque situation again. Back then it was a bit more understandable since The last of us did have a better story (as a game I think GTA V is still better tbh) but this time it wouldn't be deserved at all

These GOTY awards should have different categories. Why bother putting movie game next to game with open world and RPG elements? Some people (generally casual audience) will prefer movie games and some other open world games. Having only one GOTY award is dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
2 minutes ago, O.Z said:

How did R* get punished exactly? By not winning a lousy GOTY award? Or by making $750,000,000 in its first 3 days. 

 

Yeah, the Housers are crying at this moment, lol

But I'm sure they have massive egos and expected a win. 

 

@Emmi

@KY Jello

 

Times have changed.An Award show as big as this nowadays and especially with Geoff Keighley needs faces to show the emotional side of stuff and all that crap. They definitely wanted to choose a group with more personality that actually "showed up" for the event. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Journey_95
2 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

But I'm sure they have massive egos and expected a win. 

 

@Emmi

@KY Jello

 

Times have changed.An Award show as big as this nowadays and especially with Geoff Keighley needs faces to show the emotional side of stuff and all that crap. They definitely wanted to choose a group with more personality that actually "showed up" for the event. 

Yeah this is the most reputable GOTY award..for better or worse. Money is more important but I'm sure they wanted to win this too

Edited by Journey_95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
josephene123

I think RDR2 deserved it for how much more ambitious it was. A tremendously long and well crafted story mode with more side content than I can imagine. The graphics are superb and the best I've seen in an open world, too. 

 

The gameplay does suffer a little too much from some of those long animations and the horse control, and the law system isn't perfect and could do with a lot of tweaks that I don't think will ever come. But the core R* gameplay is probably the best it's ever been -  with a huge step up for the shooting and it having the most dynamic systems for physics and NPC interaction I've seen in a R* title (though it might tie with IV). 

 

I do generally find that award ceremonies try to reward the smaller 'David' teams when they create charming artsy experiences like GoW over the 'Goliath' teams like Rockstar who had far more resources at their disposal. Really surprised that GTA V won over TLoU back in 2013, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Journey_95
Just now, josephene123 said:

I think RDR2 deserved it for how much more ambitious it was. A tremendously long and well crafted story mode with more side content than I can imagine. The graphics are superb and the best I've seen in an open world, too. 

 

The gameplay does suffer a little too much from some of those long animations and the horse control, and the law system isn't perfect and could do with a lot of tweaks that I don't think will ever come. But the core R* gameplay is probably the best it's ever been -  with a huge step up for the shooting and it having the most dynamic systems for physics and NPC interaction I've seen in a R* title (though it might tie with IV). 

 

I do generally find that award ceremonies try to reward the smaller 'David' teams when they create charming artsy experiences like GoW over the 'Goliath' teams like Rockstar who had far more resources at their disposal. Really surprised that GTA V won over TLoU back in 2013, though. 

Yeah there was lots of salt when GTA V won lol, overall TLoU won way more though so at the end it was seen as the real "winner". Hopefully RDR2 can pull something like that off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guest176525326

To be honest the Game Awards are by far the least prestigious out of any entertainment sector(movies, music, games etc) awards. They hardly get mentioned in the press here in the UK. No one really takes it that seriously...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emmi

It's sad that gaming is still not accepted in 2018. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
7 minutes ago, Emmi said:

It's sad that gaming is still not accepted in 2018. :(

Better for all of us. The more and more we got noticed through the years the more corporate greedy scum jumped into the industry just for profit and no passion for gaming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meekail

Do you guys think Red Dead Online being the way it is influenced their decision of GoW winning over RDR2? Or were they able to separate the main single-player experience from Online?

 

Would it have won if Online came out after The Game Awards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laker23

Congrats to GOW, no problems with it taking the main prize.

 

One thing I will say is I can never personally base GOTY on what the TGA's or whatever it used to be called say. I gather it's the 'official' award but I prefer to judge it when all the scores from all media outlets are rounded up.

 

I don't remember what won last year, a Nintendo game? But I know in previous years both Overwatch and GTA V have won but been completely outclassed when all the results come in from other places. The biggest gulf being of course between V and TLOU.

 

With that being said I still expect GOW to have more GOTY's when it's all done.

 

Last but not least GG to Roger, dude seems super humble about all this new found fame and fully deserved his award 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mostly_Red

I think you should enjoy both games instead of saying "GoW is overrated" or "RDR 2 is overrated" 

 

Both represent the best this medium has to offer. 

 

You should be happy for having two games of this quality 

Edited by Mostly_Red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Display Name
7 minutes ago, Meekail said:

Do you guys think Red Dead Online being the way it is influenced their decision of GoW winning over RDR2? Or were they able to separate the main single-player experience from Online?

 

Would it have won if Online came out after The Game Awards?

No way. That would be dumb.

Game releases, it's 40 hours long (main story), has good scores everywhere. Bonus online releases, making the game even bigger: "wow this game sucks, this 15 hour movie game is better cuz it has no microtransactions".

Edited by Display Name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mostly_Red
1 minute ago, Display Name said:

No way. That would be dumb.

Game releases, it's 40 hours long (main story), has good scores everywhere. Bonus online releases, making the game even bigger: "wow this game sucks, this 15 hour movie game is better cuz it has no microtransactions".

Humm 

 

GoW had good scores too, ya know?

 

And it's not 15h 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25

The point is, RDR2 is definitely more flawed than GOW and that was the reason many people brought up for why GOW should win but they're wrong. I said multiple times and I say it again, Perfecting a More Massive Ambitious Product is much harder. RDR2 shows it's class like GOW but in a much larger scale which is why it deserves it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty
5 minutes ago, Mostly_Red said:

I think you should enjoy both games instead of saying "GoW is overrated" or "RDR 2 is overrated" 

 

Both represent the best this medium has to offer. 

 

You should be happy for having two games of this quality 

Admittedly I didn't play much of God Of War, but what I did play impressed me and I had never played any of the games in the series. There's no point comparing them directly since they share nothing in common gameplay wise.

 

What they do share in common though is two developers who took the time, love and care to create two pieces of gaming art that any gamer should be proud of even if one's more appealling than the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jabalous
1 hour ago, TheSantader25 said:

Why do I have a feeling that the Housers not showing up made them ultimately not getting the award. Everything was leading to RDR2 winning. The GOW announcement was so anti climactic. I think R* finally got punished for not properly appearing in these events. 

The Housers don't like spotlights. You rarely see them on mainstream media, if ever, which is something I really admire. However, Michael Unsworth, who's been co-writing since GTA IV, was there in addition to other R* employees, and he's the one who came on stage to receive the Best Narrative award. I also assume that this is the first time R* receives this award for the narrative, so I'm hopeful that Dan and co-writers approach GTA's stories differently next time, making them more mature and less overly sarcastic like in V.  

Edited by Jabalous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
14 minutes ago, Jabalous said:

The Housers don't like spotlights. You rarely see them on mainstream media, if ever, which is something I really admire. However, Michael Unsworth, who's been co-writing since GTA IV, was there in addition to other R* employees, and he's the one who came on stage to receive the Best Narrative award. I also assume that this is the first time R* receives this award for the narrative, so I'm hopeful that Dan and co-writers approach GTA's stories differently next time, making them more mature and less overly sarcastic like in V.  

Unfortunately I don't believe these stories fit the GTA series.You simply can't make them work properly like the Red Dead series. I feel it feels awkward for GTA.  It was perfect for RDR. I'm sure one of the main reasons RDR was resurrected after revolver was so that R* could tell stories they never could've told in GTA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mostly_Red
33 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

Admittedly I didn't play much of God Of War, but what I did play impressed me and I had never played any of the games in the series. There's no point comparing them directly since they share nothing in common gameplay wise.

 

What they do share in common though is two developers who took the time, love and care to create two pieces of gaming art that any gamer should be proud of even if one's more appealling than the other.

 

People should be glad that these two devs are not like Ubisoft, EA or Activision 

 

They're two very different approaches to what a game can be

 

One is not objectively better than the other. 

 

But people would rather try to take something away from the other game 

 

Sigh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jabalous
12 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

Unfortunately I don't believe these stories fit the GTA series.You simply can't make them work properly like the Red Dead series. I feel it feels awkward for GTA.  It was perfect for RDR. I'm sure one of the main reasons RDR was resurrected after revolver was so that R* could tell stories they never could've told in GTA. 

I'm not suggesting a story that is as dramatic or emotional as Red Dead, and not necessarily a Redemption story. Look at Mafia 1/2 and GTA IV as examples for what a more mature and less sarcastic story can be. This is another subject to discuss, but I just want to say that winning Best Narrative could probably lead the writers to think differently on how to approach other series' stories. It's the reason why I regarded The Last Of Us over GTA V in 2013. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emmi
5 minutes ago, Jabalous said:

I'm not suggesting a story that is as dramatic or emotional as Red Dead, and not necessarily a Redemption story. Look at Mafia 1/2 and GTA IV as examples for what a more mature and less sarcastic story can be. This is another subject to discuss, but I just want to say that winning Best Narrative could probably lead the writers to think differently on how to approach other series' stories. It's the reason why I regarded The Last Of Us over GTA V in 2013. 

The story for GTA VI is almost certainly already written. Whatever it's gonna be we have the Red Dead franchise for serious story telling ... GTA should be a mix in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StangOne50

Im glad they lost. Thats what they get for treating fans like dolla signs..scumbags haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paro93

What people must undestand is that is impossible to determine wich game is better objectively. 

It all comes down in the end to a subjective opinion. I think GOW story was superior, gameplay much more fun and complex, less repetitive, and had a superior soundtrack (although RDR2 has awesome soundtrack as well)

But that is just my opinion, there's no way state such things as facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
13 minutes ago, Jabalous said:

I'm not suggesting a story that is as dramatic or emotional as Red Dead, and not necessarily a Redemption story. Look at Mafia 1/2 and GTA IV as examples for what a more mature and less sarcastic story can be. This is another subject to discuss, but I just want to say that winning Best Narrative could probably lead the writers to think differently on how to approach other series' stories. It's the reason why I regarded The Last Of Us over GTA V in 2013. 

Well I gotta say this isn't a popular opinion here but I never liked the direction of IV's story. It felt awkward and forced. They simply couldn't make me care because it's just simply "GTA". this doesn't work for me in that series. They picked up their work in RDR(2010)and told the story they wanted to and I highly appreciated the fact that R* finally found the right franchise for these stories. The Last of Us definitely blows V out of the water in terms of storytelling and I love that game. It's my favorite non open world game of all time. Also TLOU had much more impact on the industry which is why it deserves the 2013 GOTY over GTA V despite the fact that I like V just a bit more. Once again because I simply love GTA. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty
20 minutes ago, Emmi said:

The story for GTA VI is almost certainly already written. Whatever it's gonna be we have the Red Dead franchise for serious story telling ... GTA should be a mix in my opinion.

That's what makes GTA IV's so great and highly revered among GTA fans. It has the right mix of serious story telling where it needs to be whilst allowing room for light hearted moments. Whatever GTA VI ends up being I hope it takes some cues from GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption 2 and less from GTA V.

 

The GTA series has proven it's more capable than just telling shallow stories with one note comic characters. No reason it can't again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CosmicBuffalo

How can a game that is an exclusive for a system win game of the year?  40% of the gaming community is unable to play it unless they own two systems. Thats even not taking into consideration that the game basically has no chance of going to PC.  Sure it was great game, but that is a mark against it my mind as game of the year.  I do not follow this at all so this could be something very minimial, but I think it should be factor.  Game of the year should ideally be available to as many gamers as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Slonitram

The salty tears here are real, holy sh*t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason
14 hours ago, Emmi said:

Trusted Reviews (UK) : God of War

FYI They did not review RDR2, so if we're tallying up awards this one can't really count lol.

 

I can definitely see SSM being more open and Cory Barlog in particular being a very public figure for the studio MAYBE giving them a slight edge over RDR2, but eh. GoW hit home with a lot of critics with the story and touched critics in a way few AAA games do what with the father and son story, so it wasn't a huge shock to me to see it win the big award of the night in the end. RDR2 scored higher but the response to GoW back when it launched was something else, there was a real love for it.

 

Anyway, GoW's a brilliant game and just shows the standards of gaming these days. Along with Zelda and Mario last year we've had four games that are universally regarded as games of the generation in two years, I'd even lump in Divinity Original Sin 2 in there which came out last year too.

 

Hell, Spider-Man, Monster-Hunter World or Celeste going by what I've heard could have easily won the award in other years, it was one of the most stacked GoTY nominee lists in a long time.

 

I do hope Rockstar can pick up one of the bigger GoTY awards though, maybe the BAFTA award or something, and Roger Clark got his award which is all that really mattered. ☺️

Edited by Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.