4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
3Prcntr

Chance Encounter building a house with sons

Cutter De Blanc

This guy's house is pretty well built up as of chapter 4 and the only time I ever encounter him is when I'm fleeing south from Valentine's law enforcement. I've never helped with the house though.

SneakyDeaky
Posted (edited)

So this whole encounter is screwed up on 1.02. Three playthroughs now and every time I get to the part where he's supposed to ask me for lumber, he doesn't, because he can't, for the Appleseed Timber Company has already left Monto's Rest! This is early Chapter 2 and already Monto's Rest has been abandoned and the house near Valentine has been built already and the father and sons have left.

This is the order I get.

Meet the father for the first time/Go to Monto's Rest and sell items to the foreman.

Help father fend off bandits/Help get rid of wolves in Monto's Rest.

Go to speak to the father, we have a chat, no request/Tree falls on logger in Monto's rest.

Lend father 100$/Monto's Rest is now abandoned.

Somewhere in there he is supposed to ask me for lumber, it never happens. It feels like the progression of both stories is moving way too fast on 1.0.2 so Monto's rest becomes abandoned before you can speak to the father where he asks for lumber.

Edited by SneakyDeaky

UnexpectedParole

If I am reading your post correctly I think you've mis-understood the mission.

In the same conversation where you gave him the $100, there should other options. Is it to "offer help", or "offer supplies" ?

If i recall it properly you have 4 options total.

1. Ignore him and walk away, or maybe there is a 'decline' button to press 

2. Offer the money.

3. Offer to help get supplies. Which gives you two ways to get lumber.

a. buy it from Monto's Rest

b. steal a wagon of timber from somewhere. (the lumber co., valentine, on the road, etc.)

I personally have never tried 1. I don't now how it plays out.

2. I paid $100 cash then went back later and he sold the house and paid me $150 which was a $50 profit.

3. I offered to get supplies, bought $75 dollars worth of lumber from Monto's Rest and delivered it -went back later got 150, for 75 profit.

4. I offered to get supplies then while in Valentine next to the butcher's I took a wagon of timber that was just sitting there and delivered it to the father. I got $150 for that which was 150 revenue minus what-ever bounty I got from stealing the wagon, which was very small and an honor loss. (I think I got one and it was small, since I didn't kill / hurt anyone.)

You don't get to loan him money AND go buy lumber. Those are mutually exclusive choices from the same encounter. hope that helps.

SneakyDeaky
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, UnexpectedParole said:

If I am reading your post correctly I think you've mis-understood the mission.

In the same conversation where you gave him the $100, there should other options. Is it to "offer help", or "offer supplies" ?

That's just it, I know that's how it's supposed to go, but all I get is "Accept" or "decline" when he asks, and I declined him the first time because I thought that wasn't right, so I rode over to Monto's Rest and it was now abandoned. So all I can do is then go back to the father and lend him the 100$. He never asked me for supplies or nothing, though he should. Just the 100$.

Edited by SneakyDeaky

Deadman2112
Posted (edited)

The way it went for me was...

Meet the father and 2 boy's. The father tells you they just bought the place and are going to build. The son's complained about the idea. 

Came back a day or two later, and when I arrived they were putting up a wall that ends up falling. Dad gets upset saying things are not going well, Arthur makes a comment about their lack of skills. 

Came back a few more days and then the shootout takes place.

Few more days and construction was stopped because of lack of materials and father asked for help. I offered to help rather than give cash.

Went to the logging Co. By Strawberry, talked to the lead guy at the place. He asked for supplies.  Sold him some.

Came back a 2 days later nothing changed at the logging camp. As I was leaving, heading back to Strawberry, a tree falls on a worker. Helped get the tree off him and gave him some cash.

Came back a few more days later and was asked to hunt down some wolves. Did that and got paid for it.

Came back about a week later and got the load of wood and delivered it.

Took about 4 in-game days to get repaid.

Edited by Deadman2112

UnexpectedParole
12 hours ago, SneakyDeaky said:

That's just it, I know that's how it's supposed to go, but all I get is "Accept" or "decline" when he asks, and I declined him the first time because I thought that wasn't right, so I rode over to Monto's Rest and it was now abandoned. So all I can do is then go back to the father and lend him the 100$. He never asked me for supplies or nothing, though he should. Just the 100$.

I don't know then. Maybe it is honor related? Are you playing white hat?

It doesn't look like I'm going to have time to test it this weekend, it certainly is possible that an update bugged it. But I feel like there is something else we are missing.

SneakyDeaky
6 hours ago, UnexpectedParole said:

I don't know then. Maybe it is honor related? Are you playing white hat?

It doesn't look like I'm going to have time to test it this weekend, it certainly is possible that an update bugged it. But I feel like there is something else we are missing.

I'm playing white hat, the bar is at about 75% thereabouts. That could be it perhaps, the game gets rid of the option to steal supplies because it doesn't suit my current honor? I don't think an update bugged it because I'm playing on the older launch patch, I think it works fine after 1.03, cos that patch DID fix a lot of camp related glitches. I think perhaps it doesn't work on my older version of the game, however there are plenty of videos of it working fine from that period, so IDK. I think I perhaps went to Monto's Rest too quickly between stages and it was now abandoned. But if you can get the supplies from elsewhere anyway, that shouldn't be a problem.

Again the order I took, but after thinking about it this is exactly how I recently did it this week. All in Chapter 2.

First I met the father and sons, a wall frame falls during our conversation. I never had any earlier meeting with them.

I ride over to Mont's Rest at some point and sell food supplies to the foreman.

Came back to Valentine and helped the father and sons fight off bandits.

Back over to Monto's Rest and now I need to get rid of wolves.

This is where maybe I screwed up, because I hung out around WE, then went back to Monto's Rest first, to help lift the fallen tree.

Now back to Valentine and I speak to the father, but I get no request, we have a little chat and Arthur basically says "It's coming along well. Good luck"

Went back to the father a few in-game days later and I get the exact same conversation.

Back over to Monto's Rest, because I went to Strawberry for a mission, and I find it's now abandoned.

Came back to Valentine after the mission and the father now asks me for 100 dollars. He does not request supplies at all, I just get "Accept or decline,"  I make a point of releasing the Left Trigger then clicking it again to see if the options change, they didn't. It's 100 dollars and nothing else. I give him the 100 dollars.

Returned a few days later and the house is built and he returns my money plus 50 dollars profit.

I cannot remember how many days I waited in between each event, and that is probably a key ingredient for this. Seems like I skipped a stage somehow.

Deadman2112
Posted (edited)

Yeah it might be because you are doing both at the same time. I've always finished the homestead part of it and only after getting the request do I head that way.

Edited by Deadman2112

SneakyDeaky

Yeah well I'm going to blame 1.02 for all this because guess what? I just went back there to rob the couple that now owns the house, and the father and sons are back building it and everything has been completely reset! Going to try Monto's Rest now, but somehow after doing 3 missions that got me to Chapter 3 and Rhodes and everything with this event has reset. The wall frame just nearly killed his boys again. 🤔

Never seen an event like this reset before and I hope it hasn't happened with every reoccurring event, like Mickey for instance.