2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
3Prcntr

Chance Encounter building a house with sons

Nutduster
37 minutes ago, Mach1bud said:

You sure you are at the right house?

Not 100% but I watched a YouTube video and went to the exact spot marked on the map. There's a finished house there with a garden in front and a couple living there.

Edited by Nutduster

msallied

I started this mission almost right away on my 2nd playthrough of the game. Did intro. Came back a few in-game days later, spoke again. Third visit, he asked for supplies or money. I gave the $300. Ended up moving on to Chapter 3 at that point. Came back a few in-game days after that. The house was done and he paid me back the $100 + another $50 in interest! 

I think the key is to not let too much time pass, not come back if you have a bounty on you or too soon after Valentine shoot-out, and to always stay on friendly terms. 

Correction: Gave him $100, not $300. Derp. 

Lonely-Martin

Is this one of those 'event' things?

There's 3 in the book, the rail road being built is another. And the one where houses are being built and one NPC gets a tree fall on him early on. (Forget the name of the area, will add from the book tomorrow).

If so, these are timed in that we can do one part, return later (I think in a new chapter, not 100% sure, certainly a good few days). These have 3 or 4 phases, and by the epilogues, regardless of if we interacted at any time or how often, they get set to the last stage of the little event.

And it can glitch out and f*ck ya game up too. I'll post the snap in the morning, but I figured out where that huge hole came from (if anyone saw the pic I posted a while back somewhere I don't know where but I kept the save and you'll see), It was meant to be the rail road built, but it was missing and all I was left with until a new game was this huge area I fell into. So lucky no collectibles were there.

(Sorry for vague info, will update asap in morning).

Ring Dang Do

Turned up to this house during chapter 4,5 and chapter 6 and still no quest has popped up and the house hasn't been built either. 

I did 2 missions for the lumber camp; giving them food and dealing with the wolves and they have now packed up and vanished so wonder if it's related since the dad at the house wants you to get wood from the lumber camp and I obviously can't get the lumber from the lumber camp if it isn't there.

Lonely-Martin
7 minutes ago, Ring Dang Do said:

Turned up to this house during chapter 4,5 and chapter 6 and still no quest has popped up and the house hasn't been built either. 

I did 2 missions for the lumber camp; giving them food and dealing with the wolves and they have now packed up and vanished so wonder if it's related since the dad at the house wants you to get wood from the lumber camp and I obviously can't get the lumber from the lumber camp if it isn't there.

If I'm right about this house being an 'event' thingy, the book does write them up separately with no obvious signs of connecting but I will check that as I never thought of that possibility and haven't read it thoroughly.

That'd be awesome though, IMO.

Lonely-Martin

This is indeed an 'Event Area' This one is called Castor's Ridge. It's a 5 part event.

There are 3 of these events. Appleseed Timber Co. and Central Union Railroad. Each is 5 parts, each go to their final stage upon beginning epilogue 1 regardless of interaction/past progress or none.

These do not link with each other, and the book does confirm that we have to interact a specific way,  if you are slightly aggressive it can prevent further progress permanently until the epilogue.

With this event Area, the guy asks to borrow cash in the 3rd stage.

Caution though, as I said above, these can go really wrong and possibly compromise our game. This had me worried but luckily is was in an area where no collectibles were, phew!!!

nyx0bCg.jpg

0ZEe6LS.jpg

That's what can happen. This is supposed to be the finished Union Railroad. Something went wrong!

I never interacted knowingly, but can't rule out an early passing or something as it's on the way to the trapper nearby, but after passing Chapter 6, this stayed until I made a fresh save. Again, though this hole was a pain, there were no collectibles affected so anyone that sees this, rest assured, I still made 100% on this save.

Scary though, and reinstalling the game a couple of times proved a waste of time, thank you R* support, f*cking prats!

I'll add brief info for all 3 and each stage in the following spoilers, just in case folk bump into a stage along the way as this is really specific in how we act, and sensitive. I'll start with the threads initial event at Castor's...

Spoiler

Castor's Ridge - A cabin being built by father and son, southwest of Valentine:

Stage 1. Only foundations and tents. If we start a conversation with the father, he'll go on to get angry at one son when he drops a frame, you can steal, but not recommended as it'll end there. 

Stage 2. Construction has advanced, but the family is under attack by a gang seeking protection money. Kill the thugs, but careful of the family to progress.

Stage 3. Almost complete, father need to lend $100, must lend it to progress.

Stage 4. The house is complete, but he sold it to farmers, he pays us back with $50 interest.

Stage 5. (Epilogue 1 onwards only). The cabin has new occupants, and a vegetable patch. Nothing more in the book, I assume we can go nuts then, steal, or be nice. (Not played this through myself, a save might be advisable).

Appleseed Timber...

Spoiler

Appleseed Timber Co. - A timber company clearing a forest, Northeast of Strawberry:

Stage 1. Early stages of the clearing, we can steal but don't or progress is halted. The foreman at a part built cabin will ask to buy food and medicine, seel him some to progress.

Stage 2. The foreman's cabin is complete, horse pen too, less trees around. A tree falls on someone and we need to help lift it off. That NPC can also be given money after for additional honour. It's vague weather the extra money is required here, but I would to be sure of progress.

Stage 3. The foreman is arguing with lumberjacks who refuse to work due to a pack of wolves. Speak to the foreman and go to take care of the problem. Head to the zone, follow a trail to dead bodies, kill wolves. Head back and speak to the foreman to progress.

Stage 4. If we return here before the end of chapter 6, the area is cleared and workers camp has been dismantled. (Doesn't say anything else in the book).

Stage 5. During or after the epilogue, All gone. (I think 4 and 5 are very similar and offer no interacting).

Union Railroad...

Spoiler

Central Union Railroad Camp - A group of workers building a railway, with a foreman doing his best to keep them working, Between Emerald Station and Van Horn. * This only has 4 parts and glitches out somehow, but I really don't know what I did or didn't do, sorry. But the pictures are above and it didn't compromise the aim of 100%.

Stage 1. Worker are working hard during the day, we can loot tents but it'll piss them off and halt progress. Here we need to help the foreman and follow another worker that is hiding cash in a tree. Retrieve the cash and give it to Percy, the foreman. You can hogtie and bring the worker for extra honour, but that's optional though it does trigger a 'special conversation'. No clues what though.

Stage 2. The camp has moved north, level with Elysian pool. Speak to the foreman about Leviticus Cornwall owning property nearby blocking work. Agree to help, and then go to the marker. 3 goons await, kill the leader and the others run. (Doesn't say if we should chase or kill the other two goons - Though as these are all about honour, I'd be tempted to let them run). Then pick up the property deed and return to give it to the foreman.

Stage 3. The camp has moved northeast, almost connected. The foreman says to help yourself to leftover supplies. It says to head to the tent at the southeast, I assume other tents will compromise the event, but no info other than to take what we fancy from that tent.

Stage 4. After the epilogue, all done. Nothing more but a new railway.

Hopefully this'll help some, scared me seeing that hole, lol. All that happens is me and my horse fell into a void and spawned a few yards over the way. Pelts remained too. @Mach1bud, (Sorry to tag you) If anything here can/needs to be moved or edited, please do as there's a good few bits in these at various times and it can confuse I feel, anything that helps.

Good luck all. Enjoy. :)

Edited by Lonely-Martin

Ingrobny

Thanks for the info guys, this I didn't know, I have been there one time, I was riding past them and heard gun shots, so I helped them to kill the bandits, I will visit them today and see how the house build is going 😃.

Lonely-Martin
1 minute ago, Ingrobny said:

Thanks for the info guys, this I didn't know, I have been there one time, I was riding past them and heard gun shots, so I helped them to kill the bandits, I will visit them today and see how the house build is going 😃.

Most welcome. Great dynamic to the game IMO. (Well, when it goes right, lol).

Ingrobny
10 hours ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Great dynamic to the game IMO.

It sure is, I went back and they have indeed made progress on the house build:

e1axyWF.jpg

He asked for help as you guys said and I did loan him $100:

upOio7b.jpg

But their building skills is a bit in questioning, here is 4 by 4 timber going throught the wall here:

IOvhltN.jpg

veZ6dt7.jpg

😂

will I get something back from helping them, or did I just buy some honor?

Edit.

Here is the location for those who haven't been there yet, or forgot where it is:

7nV6wSd.jpg

(I just signed up on Imgur and can now upload pictures 😀)

Edited by Ingrobny

Lonely-Martin

@Ingrobny. Some fine snaps, looking good too, aside that timber fail, lol. (I too am fairly new to Imgur, I love that too).

It's more just an honour thing, little rewards for these, though the chap pays us back and an extra $50 is always nice. :)

Ingrobny
1 minute ago, Lonely-Martin said:

though the chap pays us back and an extra $50 is always nice. :)

Good to know, now I just have to remember to go back to him, do you know ca when he sells the house, in-game days?

NikosUncle

I missed all of those events. Every night since I read about them I’ve been tossing and turning in bed not being able to sleep thinking about how I missed them.

Ingrobny
44 minutes ago, NikosUncle said:

I missed all of those events. Every night since I read about them I’ve been tossing and turning in bed not being able to sleep thinking about how I missed them.

It's simply impossible to know about all of this by ourselves, I have started from scratch again, because I regret I sold the gold teeths from a random encounter guy who fell of his horse and died, It wasn't unique items, but they kinda is, since this random encounter happend just one time and I didn't need to sell them, because a bit later in the game, or after couple treasure hunts, money will not be a issue, I also regret I had killed the guy with the treasure map, because after:

Spoiler

3 encounters he will sell the map to a fence and we can buy it there.

So if this make you sleepless, maybe consider starting the game all over?

Edited by Ingrobny

Psyperactive81
On 11/13/2018 at 6:34 AM, RyuNova said:

No, I knew of him but I didn't know where he was. I came into Valentine from a different direction the other day and heard him shouting at his sons so went to investigate and he was like "How dare you come back here! Git boi!"

what is you honor level? are you wanted in Valentine or does it go on lockdown when you approach Valentine?.

Since they are very close to Valentine, they can share the overall perception of you as a dishonorable person in that region.

Deadman2112

Ok so just to give you folks a heads up. This side mission leads to many more side missions.

If you see it to it's end and do it the honorable way rather than hijacking the lumber.

Edit...

Oops, sorry.

I didn't see the post from @Lonely-Martin

I apologize for the redundancy.

Edited by Deadman2112

Lonely-Martin
2 hours ago, Ingrobny said:

Good to know, now I just have to remember to go back to him, do you know ca when he sells the house, in-game days?

The book says ''semi-regular intervals as the story progresses'

I'm incline to say once per chapter, aside Guarma and chapter 1, but it is a guess.

2 hours ago, NikosUncle said:

Oh, this game is huge!

But, without spoiling anything, the main story does offer some variables based off of honour and includes different cutscenes at moments, so the replay value of the story is better than ever with all these distractions out there, IMHO. I too missed much of this stuff and plan a really slow burn on my new run with my honour the opposite end of the bar. :devil:

Deadman2112
6 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

The book says ''semi-regular intervals as the story progresses'

I'm incline to say once per chapter

Nah...

I'm in chapter 2 and it's finished 

On my first play through I missed the part where he asked for lumber because I waited till chapter 3 to return.

Its more like visit him, then do a mission and return. Or just wait a few days. Both seem to work.

Lonely-Martin
3 minutes ago, Deadman2112 said:

Nah...

I'm in chapter 2 and it's finished 

On my first play through I missed the part where he asked for lumber because I waited till chapter 3 to return.

Its more like visit him, then do a mission and return. Or just wait a few days. Both seem to work.

Awesome!

I'm settled in chapter 2 and on my travels. If I can avoid the railroad issue too, even better. Thanks for the extra info dude. :)

Deadman2112

On the subject of chance encounters. Here is another example of doing the honorable thing...

it's a minor random event spoiler

Up in the snow of the north you can run across a young man frantically looking for his friend who has gone missing. He asks you to help find him.
Unfortunately you do find him and things are not good.

You then return to first young man to tell him the news and he quickly jumps on a horse and rides off in the direction of his friend. 

Moments after he arrives to check on his friend, a grizzly comes out of nowhere and attacks. The bear mauls this poor kid as it ripped him apart like a rag doll. I was less the 3 feet from the attack and pulled my auto shotgun loaded with slugs and unloaded on this bear's head.

That's 3 full rounds of 5 shots and nothing. The bear kept attacking. So I'm assuming you can only kill it after the attack is over. Because it only took 3 shots to put it down once it was over.

So I was thinking man there has to be a way to save this kid but the bear was like super man. However, as luck would have it, I had just saved before I ran into him. So I rolled back to the last save and tried to trigger it again. Took a few tries but eventually it triggered.

On the 2nd time I thought if I just shoot the bear before it gets to him all would be ok. That was definitely one on the times I wished I'd had poison arrows on me but no lol. So shooting it before the attack didn't fix it either.

So I decided to give it one more go and then I remember the bear attack in the small cabin and thought maybe if I stand between him and the bear it would be like that attack and I'd get the chance to knife it.

...Sure enough, it worked.

The thing to remember is...

This is not GTA. This is a story about a bunch of men who have done some really bad things and they apparently feel bad about it. So much so that they are on a quest for redemption.

...not reddead road rage or revenge even in spite of how RDR1 ends.

If you think this is far fetched all I can offer you are...

The many conversations around the fire at all of the base camps can attest to this.

Also all of the bonuses come from having high honor. There are even honor based side missions that only trigger if you have high honor. Last but not least most people will not even invite you to sit by there fire unless you have high honor.

So, in the end the choice is yours but maybe it's in your best interests to do just that, and help them redeem themselves.

Edited by Deadman2112

Ingrobny

The house is finished, took 2-3 in-game days after my second visit and I got my $100 back with extra $50 😃, what a cool little side story this was, and I have helped the Central Union Railroad two times now and I'm on my way to the Appleseed Timber Co for the second time and see if they need help with something else.

yxofLHj.jpg

Jmac
13 hours ago, Lonely-Martin said:

This is indeed an 'Event Area' This one is called Castor's Ridge. It's a 5 part event.

There are 3 of these events. Appleseed Timber Co. and Central Union Railroad. Each is 5 parts, each go to their final stage upon beginning epilogue 1 regardless of interaction/past progress or none.

These do not link with each other, and the book does confirm that we have to interact a specific way,  if you are slightly aggressive it can prevent further progress permanently until the epilogue.

Caution though, as I said above, these can go really wrong and possibly compromise our game. This had me worried but luckily is was in an area where no collectibles were, phew!!!

nyx0bCg.jpg

0ZEe6LS.jpg

That's what can happen. This is supposed to be the finished Union Railroad. Something went wrong!

I never interacted knowingly, but can't rule out an early passing or something as it's on the way to the trapper nearby, but after passing Chapter 6, this stayed until I made a fresh save. Again, though this hole was a pain, there were no collectibles affected so anyone that sees this, rest assured, I still made 100% on this save.

Scary though, and reinstalling the game a couple of times proved a waste of time, thank you R* support, f*cking prats!

I'll add brief info for all 3 and each stage in the following spoilers, just in case folk bump into a stage along the way as this is really specific in how we act, and sensitive. I'll start with the threads initial event at Castor's...

Reveal hidden contents

Stage 1. Only foundations and tents. If we start a conversation with the father, he'll go on to get angry at one son when he drops a frame, you can steal, but not recommended as it'll end there. 

Stage 2. Construction has advanced, but the family is under attack by a gang seeking protection money. Kill the thugs, but careful of the family to progress.

Stage 4. The house is complete, but he sold it to farmers, he pays us back with $50 interest.

Stage 5. (Epilogue 1 onwards only). The cabin has new occupants, and a vegetable patch. Nothing more in the book, I assume we can go nuts then, steal, or be nice. (Not played this through myself, a save might be advisable).

Appleseed Timber...

Reveal hidden contents

Appleseed Timber Co. - A timber company clearing a forest, Northeast of Strawberry:

Stage 1. Early stages of the clearing, we can steal but don't or progress is halted. The foreman at a part built cabin will ask to buy food and medicine, seel him some to progress.

Stage 2. The foreman's cabin is complete, horse pen too, less trees around. A tree falls on someone and we need to help lift it off. That NPC can also be given money after for additional honour. It's vague weather the extra money is required here, but I would to be sure of progress.

Stage 3. The foreman is arguing with lumberjacks who refuse to work due to a pack of wolves. Speak to the foreman and go to take care of the problem. Head to the zone, follow a trail to dead bodies, kill wolves. Head back and speak to the foreman to progress.

Stage 4. If we return here before the end of chapter 6, the area is cleared and workers camp has been dismantled. (Doesn't say anything else in the book).

Stage 5. During or after the epilogue, All gone. (I think 4 and 5 are very similar and offer no interacting).

Union Railroad...

Reveal hidden contents

Central Union Railroad Camp - A group of workers building a railway, with a foreman doing his best to keep them working, Between Emerald Station and Van Horn. * This only has 4 parts and glitches out somehow, but I really don't know what I did or didn't do, sorry. But the pictures are above and it didn't compromise the aim of 100%.

Stage 1. Worker are working hard during the day, we can loot tents but it'll piss them off and halt progress. Here we need to help the foreman and follow another worker that is hiding cash in a tree. Retrieve the cash and give it to Percy, the foreman. You can hogtie and bring the worker for extra honour, but that's optional though it does trigger a 'special conversation'. No clues what though.

Stage 2. The camp has moved north, level with Elysian pool. Speak to the foreman about Leviticus Cornwall owning property nearby blocking work. Agree to help, and then go to the marker. 3 goons await, kill the leader and the others run. (Doesn't say if we should chase or kill the other two goons - Though as these are all about honour, I'd be tempted to let them run). Then pick up the property deed and return to give it to the foreman.

Stage 3. The camp has moved northeast, almost connected. The foreman says to help yourself to leftover supplies. It says to head to the tent at the southeast, I assume other tents will compromise the event, but no info other than to take what we fancy from that tent.

Hopefully this'll help some, scared me seeing that hole, lol. All that happens is me and my horse fell into a void and spawned a few yards over the way. Pelts remained too. @Mach1bud, (Sorry to tag you) If anything here can/needs to be moved or edited, please do as there's a good few bits in these at various times and it can confuse I feel, anything that helps.

Regarding Appleseed Timber Co, I'm still on chapter 2 and I'm currently at stage 4.  Doesn't progress based on story progression.

12 hours ago, Ingrobny said:

It's simply impossible to know about all of this by ourselves, I have started from scratch again, because I regret I sold the gold teeths from a random encounter guy who fell of his horse and died, It wasn't unique items, but they kinda is, since this random encounter happend just one time and I didn't need to sell them, because a bit later in the game, or after couple treasure hunts, money will not be a issue, I also regret I had killed the guy with the treasure map, because after:

Reveal hidden contents

3 encounters he will sell the map to a fence and we can buy it there.

So if this make you sleepless, maybe consider starting the game all over?

Damn, now I feel bad.  Although I didn't kill him, I hog-tied and looted him then cut him loose.

Lonely-Martin
20 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Regarding Appleseed Timber Co, I'm still on chapter 2 and I'm currently at stage 4.  Doesn't progress based on story progression.

A chap above has confirmed that these can be completed during chapter 2. Just need to let the game time to progress a few days or run a mission or two, ideally nothing that forces you too far ahead of where you want to be of course, some stranger missions  even. But if you can't progress this particular event anymore, it will reach it's final stage upon the epilogue stage.

Though for this event, stage 4 and 5 are very similar it seems. Possibly it's differences are small enough to mistake? Just a thought, I've not completed this one yet myself, lol.

Ingrobny
On 11/23/2018 at 11:54 AM, Lonely-Martin said:

nyx0bCg.jpg

0ZEe6LS.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Appleseed Timber...

Reveal hidden contents

Union Railroad...

Reveal hidden contents

Luckily I had no bugs with the finished railroad:

nByuN3s.jpg

The marker is from the last time I was there and now it's finished and connected:

FKO4T5O.jpg

😀.

I'm done with the Appleseed Timber Co as well I think, killed the wolves and I have been back couple times, but the foreman says he hasn't anything for me.

Edited by Ingrobny

Lonely-Martin
8 minutes ago, Ingrobny said:

Luckily I had no bugs with the finished railroad:

nByuN3s.jpg

The marker is from the last time I was there and now it's finished and connected:

FKO4T5O.jpg

😀.

I'm done with the Appleseed Timber Co as well I think, killed the wolves and I have been back couple times, but the foreman says he hasn't anything for me.

Awesome stuff!

Glad no bugs popped up there too, thank you for the confirmation all is well there @Ingrobny. Much appreciated and glad I could help. 

Hope (if you do) you enjoy online soon and if course, the rest of your adventure. :)

3Prcntr

Yea I am done with the epilogue now and there is no one living there. It's empty.

WIsh I would have known about the other ones. I did find the union railroad in time to catch the thief. But I'll have to go back and see what up now that I am done. Probably missed it. Same with the forest. I think I am going to explore a bit more as marston then start a new game and get all Arthurs stuff done early on. Focus on more stranger missions and random events this time. I missed a lot. Trying to go back and to familiarize myself with everything now before I restart. Plenty left to explore. I did a ton of stranger missions but focused too much on the story apparently.

On 11/23/2018 at 3:54 AM, Lonely-Martin said:

Would you mind if I edited the original post that started the thread and put this info in it so those new curious people will see it in the first post?

Edited by 3Prcntr

Lonely-Martin
1 minute ago, 3Prcntr said:

Would you mind if I edited the original post that started the thread and put this info in it so those new curious people will see it in the first post?

Absolutely, please do. Thank you for the compliment by this. :)

Lonely-Martin

I can confirm that the recent patches with online's released has fixed the big hole I had. All is well in my save. :)

feckyerlife
On 11/23/2018 at 5:54 AM, Lonely-Martin said:

Hide contents

Just want to say you can visit the Farmers with Arthur in chapter 6.

ThomasAB

I know this is an old thread, but I want to see if anyone has seen what I am experiencing. Still in chapter two, I collected lumber from Appleseed Lumber and was given a blip on the map to bring it to "Father" since he asked me to help him with this. However, when I arrived he is not there, the house is completely finished being built, and there are two people ("Strangers") living there. The mission appears to be impossible to complete even I make it all the way to the blip with the lumber.

Deadman2112
Posted (edited)

@ThomasAB

This is just a guess but it sounds like either to much time has passed or something loaded incorrectly.

Normally, you deliver the wood, then the two of you have a discussion about getting paid. He tells you as soon as it's sold you'll get your money. When you return a bit later, you'll find the father at the house alone. This is when he pays you for the wood. Then the next time you visit you will see the new home owners (the two strangers you spoke about) at the house and this is where the side mission ends.

Edited by Deadman2112