1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
FlexiveFowl

3D vs HD

3D or HD Universe  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which GTA Universe do you prefer? 3D or HD?

• 3D Universe
    • HD Universe

FlexiveFowl

Do you prefer the 3D universe or HD universe? In terms of characters, settings, gameplay styles, timeline and the overall universe.  

Male01

The 3D Universe focuses more on fun while the HD Universe gives up that fun for (a failed attempt at) being realistic. Look at GTA V. Did anyone ask for engine cooling sound effects instead of a reliable getaway car that starts instantly? What about rewards like infinite ammo and immunity to fire? Chainsaws and flamethrowers have been replaced by countless guns that are all basically the same thing with slightly different stats. Weapon balancing is now ridiculous compared to the slightly overpowered weapons of older games.

GTA Chinatown Wars is the exception. It did an amazing job combining the HD Universe with the gameplay of the 3D Universe. This game lets players dismember people with chainsaws and it also lets players lose their wanted level by disabling police cars. I like how I can do Vigilante missions with an fair, invisible time limit and how I'm no longer forced to stay in a police vehicle. You have police cars that look like the ones from GTA 3 but you also have the most realistic emergency light effects in the series. Like GTA IV, the fire department is useless, but like in the 3D Universe, you can still do side missions with the fire trucks. You use a defibrillator while doing Paramedic side missions to unlock infinite sprint. You could set things on fire when doing burnouts and you could smash billboards with stunt jumps. The game was a great combination of both universes.

FlexiveFowl
7 minutes ago, Male01 said:

What about rewards like infinite ammo and immunity to fire? Chainsaws and flamethrowers have been replaced by countless guns that are all basically the same thing with slightly different stats. Weapon balancing is now ridiculous compared to the slightly overpowered weapons of older games.

I agree I hate how they got rid of all that. 

Journey_95

HD Era no doubt. 3D Era was great for its time but hasn't aged well and Rockstar has focused much more on making very detailed more "realistic" cities with the HD versions of LC and LS which is great (hard to go back to the older versions). The addition of the cover system makes the gameplay more fun as well. I also like that they are more focused on the story (even if GTA V's story for an example could have been executed better). Overall GTA IV (especially) and GTA V are both great games, some of the best of the past generation.

Edited by Journey_95

Miamivicecity

HD era. While I have a soft spot for GTA III and Vice City I really don't care that much about the rest of the 3D era GTAs. Conversely whilst I found GTA V disappointing GTA IV/EFLC and CTW to a lesser extent still hold it up. So i guess it levels out, but I still prefer the HD era in terms of gameplay, characters, story (GTA IV/TLAD only in this regard) atmosphere etc.

TheSantader25

3D era. While the stories improved with the HD era, I feel like R* paid less attention to their gameplay with the HD releases. When I played III, VC, SA for the first time in all those years, there wasn't a single gameplay element I wished for to be added to the games. They are respectively the only games I thought that were ahead of their time gameplay-wise. But with IV and V I could list some things that could've been in the game after I was done with the game. It's a great achievement for a game when the player basically "can't" wish for more. It's a very hard thing to achieve. I hope I can have the same feelings for GTA VI.

The attention to detail and world building is on another level in the HD era though. The RAGE engine is a monster in this regard. But I don't think it's fair to compare these two eras based on the present time. I think the best comparison comes when you see how well they did in their time which I believe the 3D era did better. 

Edited by TheSantader25
Typos

GrudgefromSanAndreas

HD in terms of physics and graphics, maybe some gameplay elements

3D for gameplay, humour, characters, side missions etc

killdrivetheftvehicle

HD: more realistic cities, better graphics and physics, better stories, so the immersive universe, except for the flying motorcycles and cars, which were just jokes in 3D universe.

3D: more gameplay, no incentive to roleplay, as everything you see reminds you that it's a game

gtafaninwest

Definitely 3D. The 3D Era is GTA, and GTA is the 3D Era.

Lock n' Stock

I'm more of a 3D Universe guy, mainly because I really loved the way that certain characters and story arcs were linked across each game despite some canonical inconsistencies.

Still, it was a bold move for GTA IV to scrap all that and start from scratch, one that paid off very well in the end imo. I still felt however that it was nice for CTW, TBOGT and GTA V to bring some of the more playful side of the 3D Era back. However, it's a shame that the down-to-earth feel of the HD Universe has more or less been tarnished with the addition of sci-fi sh*te like flying cars and bikes in GTA Online. I will never, ever, EVER accept that f*cking garbage as canon, period.

Edited by Lock n' Stock

universetwisters

3D just because it isn't built around cheap satire.

Otherwise I would pick the HD universe but I'm just bitter

Mike R.L.

3D.

I would love to see a return to the 3D aesthetic in future games, yup that more cartoon-y vibe. It really feels like GTA, because that is something that was carried nicely from the Top-down era into GTAIII. 

I really miss it actually.

Tacymist

Gonna have to go with the 3D era, it just had a certain charm to it that I never felt in the HD era. Like I played SA for almost a decade because I could always find something to do, whereas IV and V I only played for maybe 2 years each before getting bored of them. Maybe it's because I'm older now and the game's just don't appeal to me like they used to, I don't really know. My vote still goes to 3D though.

FadeAway

3D. The humor that didn't feel forced, characters, side missions, properties, storylines, gameplay. It was a big transition from that aerial 2D view that would set up for future games.

The comparisons are interesting and true. Both have their own times, just as 3D had a time of its own. In 3D there were a lot of elements that HD didn't do, got rid of and vice versa. In the end they level each other out.