4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Sebor

rdr vs rdr 2 New Austin and West Elizabeth List of changes

Sebor

When Exploring New Austin and a little bit of the old W. Elizabeth I noticed already quite a few changes. It would be nice to compile a list:

- Armadillo is almost a ghost town and has very few people left and looks very run down

- Manzinata post is a private property 

- Dutches hideout of RDR 1 in nothern Tall trees does not exist/is not reachable.

- Rathsteller fork is private property and not a town

- Tumble wood is a neat little town and not yet a ghost town

- Macfarlanes ranch is missing a few buildings including the sherrifs office I am guessing they are not as big and wealthy as of yet. 

- The mines Of Gaptooth are abandoned

What have you noticed?

Lock n' Stock

Having just recently started the Epilogue, I haven't explored enough to know. However, some buildings in Blackwater seem to look vastly different, like the theater exterior and the saloon being entirely indoors (as opposed to lacking an outside sitting area for poker). Not sure if this is to show the level of change between the two games (ala the GTA Stories games), or are just simply redesigns.

Watain

I was kind of bummed out by how they implemented the original RDR map to be honest. While the landscapes do look more beautiful than ever, the constant feeling of emptiness throughout New Austin makes its inclusion somewhat unnecessary. It's like they added it just for the sake of having it. Judged by how rich and eventful RDR2's new map is, New Austin just feels like a poor attachment to the rest. There's barely anything to do, anything to discover or anyone to encounter. It's just empty, much like GTA V's northern map was.

I figure the reason they added it is entirely geographical, to have "Texas" included with its deserts and whatnot. But with the lack of eventful locations it's just odd. I was really looking forward to visiting Armadillo and Thieves Landing, but both are pretty much worthless in RDR2. I really hope they'll do more with it in future DLC:s or in RDO. I do, on the other hand, prefer Blackwater in RDR2 to the original.

silly_nate
10 minutes ago, Watain said:

It's like they added it just for the sake of having it.

I was saying this before the game even came out.

-Thieves Landing is just a house or something.

-I have yet to explore but there’s no tunnel marking for the railroad between McFarlane’s Ranch and Armadillo on the map. So if it doesn’t go through that tunnel from Hennigan’s Stead to Cholla Springs, there’s another one. 

18 minutes ago, Watain said:

Judged by how rich and eventful RDR2's new map is

What are you talking about exactly ?

Watain
2 minutes ago, anthony said:

What are you talking about exactly ?

All the things you can do in the five new states. You've got towns and a city that really feel alive with lots of interactive people, you've got lots of wildlife, environmental variation, etc. Riding through New Austin I mostly saw ... desert. There was barely any life out there whatsoever. Only a few people, a small and seemingly rather rare portion of wildlife, not to mention only a few legendary animals and fish throughout NA. It simply feels empty and dead.

E•MO•TION
3 hours ago, Sebor said:

What have you noticed?

There's no train station in Blackwater and no tracks whatsoever in West Elizabeth. The New Austin route ends as a large loop just east of the MacFarlane's ranch.

Original Light

I think I've noticed some homes in the Great Plains that don't exist in 1911. I'm not 100% sure though. It's on the outside of Blackwater, on the right side of the town if you're facing it directly from the Great Plains. 

Edited by Original Light

The N. Bellic Man
50 minutes ago, Watain said:

I was kind of bummed out by how they implemented the original RDR map to be honest. While the landscapes do look more beautiful than ever, the constant feeling of emptiness throughout New Austin makes its inclusion somewhat unnecessary.

I really hope they'll do more with it in future DLC:s or in RDO.

I was also pretty disappointed with New Austin. Considering that I kind of hurried the latter part of the game to be able to explore it properly there wasn't that much to be found. Once I got there it really felt empty. That being said there is still some nice little things to discover in the desert.

Yeah, let's hope that they add some decent New Austin single player content in the future. I'm pretty sure that Online will get some added features and such.

58 minutes ago, Watain said:

All the things you can do in the five new states. You've got towns and a city that really feel alive with lots of interactive people, you've got lots of wildlife, environmental variation, etc. Riding through New Austin I mostly saw ... desert. There was barely any life out there whatsoever. Only a few people, a small and seemingly rather rare portion of wildlife, not to mention only a few legendary animals and fish throughout NA. It simply feels empty and dead.

Well, you have to remember that New Austin is not very much civilized and modern as in RDR 1 or the other states like New Hanover, this is actually the wild west as it was back in the day. There is no law, the Del Lobo gang reign terror, Armadillo is under a cholera plague and Tumbleweed is basically the last resort of humanity. 

As for the environments I don't know if you played RDR 1 recently but this is how it was, Thieves Landing area is a swamps, the climate and environment around MacFarlane's Ranch (Hennigan's Stead) is dry but there is still lot of vegetation, some green foliage and trees, when you leave this state and head to Armadillo (Cholla Springs), this is a desert (sand/desert color) and very dry, Gaptooth Bridge is also a desert but different color, much more 'sandy brown/orange', Rio Bravo is dry with more green vegetation.

As for the life there, it basically work like in the new map; riders and coach roaming, fellers camping, random encounters, cocksuckers del lobo gang robbing coach and train and attacking you. For the wildlife (~26 animals), I don't know how much you played in New Austin but to me the wildlife there it not something that I would call 'rare'.

It seem there is no actual strangers missions tho, I think they could have done a few.

Edited by anthony

The N. Bellic Man

One thing I should add though - dust storms in New Austin are pretty epic. They also sometimes makes your horse go wild.

Oldsport

im still pissed at what theyve done to thieves landing in rdr2, i would have like to see it as a normal town before it became overrun with criminals but they went with a completely different route

Equatecurl
On 11/12/2018 at 9:55 PM, The N. Bellic Man said:

One thing I should add though - dust storms in New Austin are pretty epic. They also sometimes makes your horse go wild.

PapasHota

The thing that pissed me off the most was the lack of Chuparosa in Mexico, also no barn in McFarlane Ranch.

Piggsy pls

The waterfall at Aurora Basin doesn't exist in Red Dead 2.

RJX74

Plainview and the Pacific Union Railroad Camp are not there. 

Also they really could have left the bridges to Mexico there, with them not being complete. 

Implicitly
On 11/12/2018 at 5:21 PM, Watain said:

I was kind of bummed out by how they implemented the original RDR map to be honest. While the landscapes do look more beautiful than ever, the constant feeling of emptiness throughout New Austin makes its inclusion somewhat unnecessary. It's like they added it just for the sake of having it. Judged by how rich and eventful RDR2's new map is, New Austin just feels like a poor attachment to the rest. There's barely anything to do, anything to discover or anyone to encounter. It's just empty, much like GTA V's northern map was.

I figure the reason they added it is entirely geographical, to have "Texas" included with its deserts and whatnot. But with the lack of eventful locations it's just odd. I was really looking forward to visiting Armadillo and Thieves Landing, but both are pretty much worthless in RDR2. I really hope they'll do more with it in future DLC:s or in RDO. I do, on the other hand, prefer Blackwater in RDR2 to the original.

Maybe they did have plans for it but didn't finish, I find it extremely weird how Arthur has dialogue at Bonnie's ranch.

Ihatepeople216
On 3/6/2019 at 8:40 PM, PapasHota said:

The thing that pissed me off the most was the lack of Chuparosa in Mexico, also no barn in McFarlane Ranch.

You’re mad about a barn??? Seriously?? Y’all weird as hell on this site...I’m logging out because I know spider Vice fa**ot ass is gonna ban me hahahahaha!!!!! 🖕🏾🖕🏾🖕🏾

Hmmm nice bike
On 3/8/2019 at 7:13 PM, Implicitly said:

Maybe they did have plans for it but didn't finish, I find it extremely weird how Arthur has dialogue at Bonnie's ranch.

There's really no other explanation for why Arthur has dialogue and journal entries relating to New Austin other than it had to have been included in development at some point before being cut. Here's a pretty good thread about how it was possibly meant to be featured sometime after the return from Guarma. I also question whether or not Mexico was even planned to be included at some point before being cut early on during the building of the map in development. When we were able to glitch there, I found that some of it felt really detailed up-close when they didn't need to be while other areas were undetailed and obviously unfinished.

Implicitly
On 3/9/2019 at 8:50 PM, Hmmm nice bike said:

There's really no other explanation for why Arthur has dialogue and journal entries relating to New Austin other than it had to have been included in development at some point before being cut. Here's a pretty good thread about how it was possibly meant to be featured sometime after the return from Guarma. I also question whether or not Mexico was even planned to be included at some point before being cut early on during the building of the map in development. When we were able to glitch there, I found that some of it felt really detailed up-close when they didn't need to be while other areas were undetailed and obviously unfinished.

I read that thread, it's a really good one - if Mexico was suppose to be included too that makes me real sad.

rae_97

- Nekoti Rock is gone or at the very least inaccessible.

- Homestead west of Macfarlane's doesn't exist.

- The road running parallel with the Upper Montana River with the deciduous trees is gone, and most of the trees in that area are pines now.

- Can't ride up the mountain north of Macfarlane's to reach the shallow box canyon. Granted, that particular area served no purpose.

Speaking of Macfarlane's, I can understand excluding the sheriff's office and the general store, but the barn, really?

Cyper
Posted (edited)

There is a reason why New Austin feels empty.

First off, all other parts of the world has become industrialized, civilized, with the end of the ''wild west'' (or ''wild south'') coming to a final end. New Austin on the other hand, is untamed, with criminals doing whatever they please. On top of that, Armadillo suffers from cholera outbreak killing its inhabitants while survivors or those strong enough flee the town. Gunstores, industries, doctors, tailors, farmers, general shopkeepers... is more or less non-existant. Tumbleweed, the second town, is under duress and about to go under. It's also important to remember that New Austin - even in RDR1 - is more abandoned than any other land in RDR2. For technical reasons (RDR2 is on PS4 which offers more complexity in the game world while RDR1 was on PS3) and also because of the nature of New Austin: it is a desert after all. No wonder why John was sent there in RDR1  - RDR1 was probably the authorities last attempt to civilize New Austin by getting rid of all its criminals.

It would be interesting if there was a DLC in which the player could change the circumstances and make New Austin more civilized throughout the story. For example, playing as a second character portraying an officer of law enforcement which is sent there to tame the place. Or making it possible for John to start going missions (getting rid of dead people, deliver medicine, destroying criminal gangs, help storeowners, cops etc.) But that will probably never happen because of online. Unfortunately I believe that the success of GTAO has sealed the fate of singleplayer.

Edited by Cyper

a z

Good point... New Austin in RDR2 actually feels like something set another decade even earlier.  The wild frontier!  Well that is if all buildings were relatively new and not already looking like something made so long ago they're rubble.

BallinBallas

can we mention that Beechers Hope has a bathroom in 1907, but by 1911 it is turned into a storage room with a bed. It also has smaller dimensions in comparison.