2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

alexanderpenn21

What is wrong with people?

MidworldDrifter
19 hours ago, Miamivicecity said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hosea and Lenny died

The only thing that rivals that in Red Dead Redemption IMO is of course John's demise. Sadly I already know how the ending plays out in Red Dead Redemption 2 (because even when spoilers are removed us moderators can still see them).

I've seen a few spoilers about the ending so I have a general idea what happens in it, sucks when people casually drop spoilers out of nowhere. Interestingly enough

Spoiler

there is a book in Dutch's tent that seems to foreshadow a certain so and so's relationship later in the game, not to mention the cabin in Bayou NWA that is dedicated to Arthur.

Edited by MidworldDrifter

tre288
5 hours ago, Chrismads said:

I dont get how it can be too slow? Is the story too long? Is it the long horse rides trough a beautiful map? (Which btw you can do in autopilot while you drink a cup of coffee)

While your horse throws itself off a bridge or ploughs you into a rock

The game is far from perfect. Some of those long rides through a beautiful map still get tedious and boring after a while.. especially since if you want to fast travel you have to long ride to a specific point, or upgrade your camp heavily. Even with fast travel you better hope you didn't hitch your horse or it's staying behind.

Last game had it way better. You could take a coach and travel to locations, or your map marker. Could even set up your camp and travel from there.

Long horse rides through a beautiful world are cool and all.. but they aren't nearly enough to just make every other issue irrelevant.

Chrismads
1 minute ago, tre288 said:

The game is far from perfect. Some of those long rides through a beautiful map still get tedious and boring after a while.. especially since if you want to fast travel you have to long ride to a specific point, or upgrade your camp heavily. Even with fast travel you better hope you didn't hitch your horse or it's staying behind.

Last game had it way better. You could take a coach and travel to locations, or your map marker. Could even set up your camp and travel from there.

Long horse rides through a beautiful world are cool and all.. but they aren't nearly enough to just make every other issue irrelevant.

The fact that you just can't fast travel everywhere force you out in the wilderness where strangers and bandits are. I wouldn't have it any other way. Every now and then i set out somewhere, but end up doing something completely different because I've spottet a train, entered a legendary animals territory or spotted the three star fox i needed for my satchel. 

I was like, i think, you are at first. Wanted to get things done and complete this and that, but the lack of fast travel, fortunately, prevents the game from becoming a 100% grind fest.

But thats just my opinion.

The1raven

People think this game is over-realistic?  

I have my problems with the game for sure, but realism isn't one of them.  In fact, I would prefer a bit more Realism.

Like, why is every other gang in the game a freaking ARMY?  I don't think the actual army was as big as the gangs.

Posses CHASED and TRACKED outlaws.  They didn't radio ahead so the outlaws could be intercepted from every direction immediately after a crime.

Wolves aren't into hunting people.

If a real person ate as much as I made Arthur eat, there is no way they would LOSE weight.

Micah getting killed during a mission definitely is not a failure.  It's a blessing.

A real sniper can remove his or her eye from the scope.

Only really dumb or really weak people would continue following Dutch.

Journey_95
16 hours ago, PapasHota said:

RDR2 basically the main character is a parody with his sh*tty generic south accent, Dutch really shines but none of his scenes in this really compare with his 4 brief appearences in RDR, the characters you mention are alright but Bonnie, Marshall Johson, Landon Ricketts, Seth, De Santa and most others side characters are much more interesting to me than any one in RDR2, Mexico to me was the most enjoyable part really gave me a Sergio Leone vibes and about GOW you have every right to be wrong.

If all you see is a parody in Arthur who is one of the most compelling and human protagonists in gaming..then you are the one who is wrong and needs to pay attention. It's fine if you dislike him but this is just dumbing down his character which makes you look silly.

Not to me. Bonnie really doesn't compare at all with the likes of Sadie and while Landon was badass, Charles for an example is just more real and don't just follow the "cool gunslinger" archtype. Also De Santa was a caricature and Seth while memorable too quirky. 

Mexico was great in terms of atmosphere but the actual story there was messy and uninteresting. John was an errand boy just being used in a war that doesn't matter and only has one note boring characters. The story of the fall of Dutch & the gang and Arthur's own personal tragic arc are far more compelling than just doing random favours for (the most part) one note characters for the whole game, if anything RDR1 needed more focus on Dutch, Bill and Javier.

Edited by Journey_95

FrancisBlack

I'm sort of scoping out the landscape to see if I should be buy RDR2. I heart GTA Online and GTA v Story mode but to be honest I never really did get into RDR1 so I'm not sure. But I'm usually the type to buy and try anyway, maybe I'll get into it more this time with better graphics. I'm thinking now is the time to buy it with the holidays coming and time to enjoy. Hmmm....

Journey_95
17 minutes ago, FrancisBlack said:

I'm sort of scoping out the landscape to see if I should be buy RDR2. I heart GTA Online and GTA v Story mode but to be honest I never really did get into RDR1 so I'm not sure. But I'm usually the type to buy and try anyway, maybe I'll get into it more this time with better graphics. I'm thinking now is the time to buy it with the holidays coming and time to enjoy. Hmmm....

It does depend on what type of game you prefer and why you didn't get into RDR1. RDR2 is definitely slower paced than GTA V, not every mission is action packed and over the top. It's more like GTA IV in that regard and takes its time. The open world is very immersive and detailed, definitely Rockstar's best so far. Also the story and characters are amazing.

FrancisBlack
1 hour ago, Journey_95 said:

It does depend on what type of game you prefer and why you didn't get into RDR1. RDR2 is definitely slower paced than GTA V, not every mission is action packed and over the top. It's more like GTA IV in that regard and takes its time. The open world is very immersive and detailed, definitely Rockstar's best so far. Also the story and characters are amazing.

I did find RDR1 a bit tedious slow and I did not think the graphics in the first one were so great so maybe the graphics will be enough to make it more interesting this time around. My son will probably end up playing it more than me but I think for the online opportunity in the future I will just buy it anyway. What the hell! Lord knows I have given R* enough money in the last year with shark cards being one of our major expenditures. They are stealing all my son's allowance money!!! For the hundreds of hours of entertainment and relief of boredom it's been well worth it. 

Edited by FrancisBlack

MostlyPonies

@alexanderpenn21 Well there's your problem, having faith in the community, when the community includes every dumb f*ck out there.

10 hours ago, tre288 said:

giphy-2-2.gif

saintsrow
On 11/12/2018 at 5:14 PM, MidworldDrifter said:

Another issue is the waves upon waves of lawmen that come after you. 

After I achieve max health, I'm just going to spend the next 4 years in RDR2, hiding out in good cover, with a $300 bounty, massacring each wave of lawmen and bounty hunters, building up a killing field 10 bodies deep.  😛

MidworldDrifter

@saintsrow I wonder if you could pile up enough bodies and use it as cover. If you do go on a rampage, try lining up the enemies so you can get a collateral. I shot a guy up close and the bullet went through onto the next guy behind him.

MagicNarcosis

This game separates the men from the boys.

I hate to say it this way, but for the lack of a better phrase suiting..

The bigger portion of us commend and appreciate the realism we are enriched with, when playing RDR2. 

Too many people already got used to the easy, linear cookie cutter bullsh*t games being pumped out, now they think this impromptu button cues and cliche story is "di wai"

IT's not, and Rockstar showed us just how much gaming has been watered down, with a release like this.

WE USED TO DREAM to even be alive to see gaming to get to where it is, and people are bitching because it's "too much" 

I guess people really do grow out of the enchantment in gaming.

Or they're just a bitter bastard ringing bells for the retrieval of a newly washed silver spoon.

The Queenslayer
On 11/11/2018 at 11:49 PM, alexanderpenn21 said:

The fact that this game's being bashed for its 'over'-realism, slow pace and 'boring' story makes me lose the little faith I had in the gaming community.

The gaming community unfortunately has an ever increasing amount of morally bankrupt, virtue-signalling whiners who split hairs at the most obscure of things; the Sarkeesians of the world and filth like that.

Jayuk83

It’s surprised me, too, how some people in comments on YouTube and other forums have reacted to the game; calling it “boring”, etc, but as many have said, that’s just a vocal minority who prefer arcade-y games. 

Conversely, I was hoping they’d push the realism even further (although I understand that would alienate a large part of their audience); more survival, higher stakes, etc. As a console gamer, but one who has always been intrigued by Day Z and games of that kind, I think there’s a huge opportunity (albeit perhaps not commercially) to use the huge, deep, immersive world and mechanics of RDR2 as a survival sandbox. I played the whole game through with a kind of self-imposed role playing (such is the quality of the writing of Arthur) so the higher stakes could have brought a real extra dimension to me. As I say, I can see why they didn’t, though.

But I’d really love to see them implement something like that online. 

AUScowboy

Can't please everyone. If R* Only catered to what the casual masses wanted they wouldn't be the innovators that they are. I also think that coming off of GTAO, a game ravaged by under age casuals, they intended RDR2 to illustrate that they haven't lost the mojo that won over the many diehard, strident fans they earned with games like Bully and RDR. 

Also, GTA V/O being the greatest selling entertainment property of all time pretty much allows them to do whatever they want so long as the GTAO gravy train is kept alive and chugging along keeping their coffers full. 

Labovasha

That is ridiculous how some people dismiss criticism of the game  I am seeing alot of people basically attack a caricature as soon as the discussion of unfavorable opinions come up, most are a ironic too. You can't say anything negative on thereddit pages without someone using a condescending attitude or round about insult on your character . Red dead  is not a high brow game and it is no more cerebral than a typical AAA game, it just looks prettier while doing the same things..

If you don't mindless praise it as the best sand box game to date you are either too young to appreciate a more mature game a casual who just likes boom booms or some sort of fortnite player. I am finding the story mode to boring in some of ways am an neither and I am ok with slow paced gameplay and I like micromanaging systems it's just I find rockstars game design to be condescending and counterintuitive. They never were able to make a game challenging without resorting to cheap mechanics and they ruin systems that have history worked in the past.

As someone who plays a lot of mincraft and the sims 3 I thought the need to eat, bath, cook, and the ability to collected lots of items was a really good Idea, rockstar just did a bad job at implementing these things.

The pacing can be an issue because the earlier bits of the game are tutorials and they are built into the narrative of the game. This might be ok for a first play through sometimes but this can hurt a games replay value. Usually games will ask you if you would like to skip this or have dialogue that says something like "So you still know what your doing" if you run ahead, or just let you use the tools before you get to the tutorial sections. This game doesn't do any of that. It will not let you use a fishing rod or collect supplies until you do a story mission that unlocks it which is kind of stupid. 

Some of the animations are unnecessary. Like there is nothing wrong with having animations for looting but that animation where they lift the body to check the pockets is unnecessary. What is funny is the game actually uses faster looting animations but they only play when the body is on an uneven surface or under something. Same for skinning.

Spoiler

The Hold A to cook is bothersome when you have meats in bulk too. So far I have not found any way too cook several pieces at once. Again cooking is a great idea and with the recipe system could open some opportunities for none combat  progression but rockstar somehow managed to find a way to make it more active than you would expect but somehow managed to make it worst than more simple systems. 

Edited by Labovasha

Blasterman4EVER
On 11/14/2018 at 8:02 PM, MagicNarcosis said:

This game separates the men from the boys.

I hate to say it this way, but for the lack of a better phrase suiting..

The bigger portion of us commend and appreciate the realism we are enriched with, when playing RDR2. 

Too many people already got used to the easy, linear cookie cutter bullsh*t games being pumped out, now they think this impromptu button cues and cliche story is "di wai"

IT's not, and Rockstar showed us just how much gaming has been watered down, with a release like this.

WE USED TO DREAM to even be alive to see gaming to get to where it is, and people are bitching because it's "too much" 

I guess people really do grow out of the enchantment in gaming.

Or they're just a bitter bastard ringing bells for the retrieval of a newly washed silver spoon.

Let’s not forget that most of the people complaining are likely children. Literally. That’s not me making fun of them. I am just being real. Anybody under 18 who is complaining about the difficulty of or hassle of certain game mechanics and control issues just hasn’t been through enough pain and suffering to be a wise and calm gamer.

This game would be maddening to anyone under 12, first of all.

Even to an 18 year old, this game might be frustrating.

But for 30 year olds who were born with a Nintendo controller in their hands, the depth and hassle of this game is what makes it the best ever.

This is a mature game in every sense.

Edited by Blasterman4EVER

MjrOu812
32 minutes ago, Blasterman4EVER said:

Let’s not forget that most of the people complaining are likely children. Literally. That’s not me making fun of them. I am just being real. Anybody under 18 who is complaining about the difficulty of or hassle of certain game mechanics and control issues just hasn’t been through enough pain and suffering to be a wise and calm gamer.

But for 30 year olds who were born with a Nintendo controller in their hands, the depth and hassle of this game is what makes it the best ever.

I agree with you mate....most of it does come from the under age crowd.

tre288
2 hours ago, Blasterman4EVER said:

If you say so lol. I'm 26 myself and my dad's a heavy gamer, and he still has his gripes with the game.

I kind of get the impression that any post short of regarding the game as a flawless masterpiece ends up being construed as "you just don't/can't get it"

Journey_95
15 minutes ago, tre288 said:

If you say so lol. I'm 26 myself and my dad's a heavy gamer, and he still has his gripes with the game.

I kind of get the impression that any post short of regarding the game as a flawless masterpiece ends up being construed as "you just don't/can't get it"

No one is saying the game is perfect but saying stuff like it's "too slow" or the missions aren't over the top enough to be entertaining  is just silly and that's why people bring up the age..people are too used to fast paced cartoony games and it's just annoying to see RDR2 being bashed for not being dumbed down like that (especially since it could lead to Rockstar listening to the haters in following games).

There are some things that could have been better though like the wanted system and I thought the Stranger missions were lame (good that the rest of the side content is high quality). 

Edited by Journey_95

Furi0sa
2 hours ago, Blasterman4EVER said:

This post moves me. Quality content. It feels like a game for older people or cinephiles. I'm 32 so Rockstar me up.

Blasterman4EVER
30 minutes ago, tre288 said:

Yeah. I'm going to react that way about Red Redemption 2 for a while, because part of me really does think that "you just don't/can't get it."

It's a masterpiece, but it's not flawless. Nothing is flawless. I understand that people will have criticisms, but I'll argue against them or temper the judgement. I will have rebuttals. I will criticize the arguments they make against the game and find holes in their reasoning, where applicable. One must expect an ongoing and spirited argument in defense of Red Dead Redemption 2 as the best game ever made.

However, it's possible that some people will always miss the point.

For example, if you have not played through the game's story from beginning to finish, your opinion on the single player game is invalid.

Edited by Blasterman4EVER

Gandalf In Space

I understand criticism but one thing that I don't get with people is complaint about the controls. May be a few ms slower on the input lag but it more or less controls the same as any Rockstar game post GTA IV. Were people really expecting otherwise?

I don't remember people complaining about that aspect for GTA V or la noire, etc.

Some people don't get that their opinion can be invalid, just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you can say whatever you want and get away with it.

If it's not reasonable and not supported by facts then it's invalid.

You can expect that some people will overthrow your opinion.

Anyways, I gotta say that some did put a smile on my face.

"my horse run itself intro trees and jump off cliff" 

"NPC's throws themselves under my horse and I get wanted"

or listen to this one

"The last game was way better because it had a stagecoach to fast travel"

Edited by anthony

volta2001
5 hours ago, Blasterman4EVER said:

it comes down to what you are looking for. to me, 29yrs old, im looking for experiences. this "game" is by far the best version of that i have found. i'm honestly not looking for a "game" anymore. im looking for a world to live in for however long i can. i think RDR2 is a major step in the direction of a true VR experience, and just living in a world. this is obviously the future of not only gaming but a large section of humanity. I cant even imagine how good RDR will be in 2050..

Gallows
On 11/14/2018 at 4:54 AM, MidworldDrifter said:

@saintsrow I wonder if you could pile up enough bodies and use it as cover. If you do go on a rampage, try lining up the enemies so you can get a collateral. I shot a guy up close and the bullet went through onto the next guy behind him.

I’ve seen that while hunting. I shot an elk in the head and an improved arrow hit the elk behind it also in the head, so they both dropped dead. 

Edited by Gallows

woggleman

If people just want some dumbed down arcadey experience then fine. I am not telling somebody what they should and shouldn't enjoy but don't get angry at Rockstar and the many people who do love this game because something this immersive and deep is right up our alley. The friend of mine who I mentioned seems to think that games like this are the ruin of gaming because the sacrifice fun for realism and story but the realism and story is part of the fun for me and there is plenty of action. They have plenty of simple and arcadey games to choose from so why not let us have games like RDR2 and GTA IV? Instead of complaining that it isn't fun why not accept that this just isn't your cup of tea? I rarely complain about COD because it is what is and I know that.

Lonely-Martin

I think it's bollocks that kids don't get it, lol. Some don't. Many won't. But many adults don't like slower paced gaming too. Its a videogame first, and a gory one at that. Fun is fun, however we each see it. :)

My son and his buddies have been hooked by this game. Stopped him asking for Spiderman and God of War. (At least for now, hey, he is a kid and Xmas is close, lol).

He still wants Just Cause 4 though.

7 hours ago, tre288 said:

Oh no, that's just Blasterman's way. You must agree or be open to criticism of your opinions. Not his though. ;)

If you have a different opinion, he'll tell you you are wrong and that his is fact and indeed the correct way to think. And block you if you even try to explain that it's opinion not fact and look to discuss. He tells, not talks! (And it gets extreme - Prison for K/D keen players. Extreme!)

He's such a warped view on things too, I'd just let him live in that bubble - The man has nothing but opinion as we all do - If you like it, enjoy it. Really don't get why others care if someone else doesn't like the game. I do, my lad does, our groups do. Beyond that, meh.

f*ck the noise, just play. If another don't like it, that's their call. I don't care and it'll never bother me enough to feel I have to oppose so strongly to those not so keen. Stupid stuff indeed. But that's the B-man way.

Anyway, I found it funny that he thinks you have to play all the story to have an opinion, lol. Didn't the press/reviewers only get a couple of hours to base their opinions on at one point? That had him creaming so clearly he's hanging on invalid reviews too, lol.

Folks know their games and what suits. By chapter 2 a gamer will know if this game and it's pacing is for them. Your dad's opinion is easily valid if he gave it a try, and even if he didn't. Some like it, some don't.

I'm sorry, I find it hilarious reading here how much others care about players not keen/bothered. From Blasterman's typical bull, to that Woggleman being a another numpty winding folks up, it's all been quite entertaining to read between my gaming this month. (Though Woggleman's recent post shows more).

I don't get that. The game, good or bad (for you/your group), yeah. But others opinions getting folk so worked up, lol. Only the B-man, hey. :)

#ramblings

Edited by Lonely-Martin
Spelling.

SonOfLiberty
1 hour ago, woggleman said:

If people just want some dumbed down arcadey experience then fine. I am not telling somebody what they should and shouldn't enjoy but don't get angry at Rockstar and the many people who do love this game because something this immersive and deep is right up our alley. The friend of mine who I mentioned seems to think that games like this are the ruin of gaming because the sacrifice fun for realism and story but the realism and story is part of the fun for me and there is plenty of action. They have plenty of simple and arcadey games to choose from so why not let us have games like RDR2 and GTA IV? Instead of complaining that it isn't fun why not accept that this just isn't your cup of tea? I rarely complain about COD because it is what is and I know that.

I kinda feel bad for getting all up in your face the other day, but well said. Variety is the spice of life. There's a time and place for "arcadey" and "over the top" games and they have their appeal sure, but it's been a long time since I've experienced anything like this from an open world game atleast.

Personally I've had so much fun playing this I lose track of time and I realise I've been playing for 4 hours and think where all that time went. IMO people throw around the word "fun" too much like it always has to be associated with over the top action. Some of the most fun moments I've had is just chilling out fishing, playing blackjack etc and while that might be to everyones' cup of tea I consider it fun. What some people really need to learn to distinguish what isn't fun for them instead of throwing everything under a blanket. It's the same argument I've always used for GTA IV too.

I didn't like Just Cause 2 very much because while it was cool to blow things up it became old after a while when I realised how empty and dull the rest of the game was and as such never bothered with Just Cause 3. It just wasn't my thing. With Red Dead Redemption 2 it puzzles me when people say things like "horse riding simulator", "cowboy simulator" etc because they're basically insulting their own intelligence. If anyone buys a Red Dead game expecting GTA with horses they're in for a nasty awakening. 

Maybe RDO might provide more lightheartedness. I don't even care if they start going crazy with it and start adding silly things. The only reason it bothered me in GTA V is the main story left me feeling unsatisfied and wanting more from single player and it was disappointing how much GTAO took a stranglehold. With this game I couldn't careless if they make RDO full of cowboys vs aliens sh*t or whatever since the single player is so brilliant and fulfilling.