1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

DEALUX

Spoilers: Did anyone else see it coming?

DEALUX

I haven't finished the game yet and Arthur is still alive, but the way the game is made and knowing that all of the details (pretty much) were put there on purpose and seeing how the game does quite a bit of foreshadowing with things, did anyone else notice how Arthur coughs for no reason in one of the cutscenes? The first thing I thought was "well, they didn't have antibiotics in 1899. That sounds like a weird thing to add to the script. His cough was put in there on purpose". And I was right after all (I read a RDR Wiki page which spoiled the fact that he gets TB at some point).

RayD70

When the guy coughed blood in his face, I knew.

Or to be more accurate, if Arthur didn't get TB, I'd be pissed about the game being unrealistic.  When he first started getting winded, having to clear phlegm from his throat before being able to speak, and had a deep chest cough every so often, my expectations were confirmed.

It was at that moment, I shaved his beard, styled his mustache, and made an outfit as close as I could to Doc Holiday's in Tombstone. Their having something in common and all.

Rykjeklut

I didn't remember the guy coughing blodd until it was said, but I had it spoiled anyway. Hell of a way to go

mehoe123

Most epic ending in video game history. Kind of emotional 

Edited by mehoe123

MarlboroMan1995

In RDR 1, I had the sudden shock of John’s death. In this game, I had the the pain of playing as a dying man. Quite different from the first game; the emotion was sudden and intense there. Here it was drawn out. I did not expect him to die on the mountain though. I figured since NA was in game, and the “gang” never went there, that Arthur would go alone since the Doctor told him to go somewhere “dry and hot”. I figured he’d head to NA and we would see him die in the epilogue of TB there. I had the game spoiled early because when I looked up fishing in game, John was used as the example. But, I was not sure of how it ended because In some YouTube videos of NA R* did a good job of making John look like Arthur with the beard growth. I thought it was really Arthur in NA til I beat the game! Lol.

Edited by MarlboroMan1995

Cutter De Blanc

I had noticed Hosea coughing a lot, I actually figured Hosea had TB

Maybe he caught it from Arthur

f*ckin patient zero over here

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

Oldsport

i knew he was going to die because ive accidentally read a spoiler but i did not know he had hit until that st denis scene

Xboxeddy

This is a message I sent on psn on the 24 oct

So this is my prediction...at the end Arthur dies (hence him not being in the van der whatever gang in rdr and you then play as John marston however I don't think it will launch into a remake of the first game, more just free roam and probably acquiring the farm/homestead that he owns in rdr

LeftTurnus
On 11/11/2018 at 6:19 PM, mehoe123 said:

Most epic ending in video game history. Kind of emotional 

Yes very.

Three segments caught me emotionally off guard because of the scene and the music.

Spoiler

The final ride back to camp, in cinematic, with the music and the past conversations playing back in his head.

The Horse, of course. Losing Buell was quite painful and I loved the fact Arthur would not leave until he passed.

And of course the Sunrise.

R* did an excellent job here. This was much better than any movie could ever be.

Biira99

To be honest, I wasn't sure I'd play this game, were it not for my brother telling me I'd love it. So I bought it, and gotta say it was hell of a emotional rollercoaster. I felt Arthur would die ever since the coughing started. He also mentioned it in his journal, at first thinking it's nothing serious. Ever since he passed out in Saint Denis, I literally felt sad playing him. His change in personality, trying to right the wrongs, all that was giving me wet eyes. But the moment the horse died, I knew Arthur would soon follow, and that was full on crying for me. Loved and hated every minute of it (hated Arthur's suffer, cause I really got invested in his character). I like that John got a happy ending (at least in this game), and the epilogue was a pretty fun addition to close the plot, but that chapter 6 ending, that was simply amazing.

LeonVegaSuarez

I had hope for Arthur surviving, but playing through the story, especially from chapter 4 til the end, it just made sense that his time would come.

Meekail

I didn't foresee Arthur dying the way he did. There's something poignant about a badass character dying with an illness instead of an epic shoot-out like most characters tend to go out. It's not something I've seen a lot.

Of course in the bad ending, he gets shot by Micah in the head, but it's not like he wouldn't have died anyway.

O.Z
On 11/24/2018 at 6:10 AM, Meekail said:

I didn't foresee Arthur dying the way he did. There's something poignant about a badass character dying with an illness instead of an epic shoot-out like most characters tend to go out. It's not something I've seen a lot.

Of course in the bad ending, he gets shot by Micah in the head, but it's not like he wouldn't have died anyway.

I got stabbed twice by Micah in the end. The final stab in the back killed Arthur. 

PaeganLoveSong

I've never cried over a video game character before, but Arthur riding to camp one last time and remembering all the decent things people have said about him...damn. Right in the feels.

t-p-d-a

i said to a friend in 2016 that Arthur maybe died because he isn't in RDR 2010. :-)

kiki22

one last time and remembering all the decent things people have said about him...damn. Right in the feels.  "8 Ball Pool Discord Omegle"

RJX74
On 11/10/2018 at 6:13 PM, DEALUX said:

I haven't finished the game yet and Arthur is still alive, but the way the game is made and knowing that all of the details (pretty much) were put there on purpose and seeing how the game does quite a bit of foreshadowing with things, did anyone else notice how Arthur coughs for no reason in one of the cutscenes? The first thing I thought was "well, they didn't have antibiotics in 1899. That sounds like a weird thing to add to the script. His cough was put in there on purpose". And I was right after all (I read a RDR Wiki page which spoiled the fact that he gets TB at some point).

I noticed him coughing but I thought Roger Clark was sick. I've almost never heard coughing in a video game (since most of the time they'd use a new take). I was like "why'd they leave it in)"

During Guarma I was like "why does he look so sick, he looks like he's really suffering here".

After he gets back I noticed his eyes were swollen. I thought it was cause he didn't get enough sleep, so I tried sleeping but he still had the eyes.

Once the "fork in the road" coughing fit started, I was like "does he have tuberculosis?"

Satanta
On 11/17/2018 at 4:12 PM, Oldsport said:

i knew he was going to die because ive accidentally read a spoiler but i did not know he had hit until that st denis scene

Yeah, I was looking for some info about some issues I was having and ended up here-someone put the Spoiler in the thread title.

I did not know how exactly until he was out riding and started coughing a bit and the cough got more progressive, well before chapter 4 even I figured he got TB from the guy who coughed on him.

They did a great job with the progression of symptoms and his looks.  Never had TB or been around it but have had other issues-Kidney failure and something I got in the Poconos that turned me into a skeleton, I recognize the looks of a dying man.

Vladistar_895

I felt Arthur would die before Red Dead Redemption 2 got released because he wasn't one of John Marston's targets of his former gang;and after playing it I felt he would die of tuberculosis after that mission in Saint Denis where you go to the doctor.It was so sad when he died,but for me who I played Red Dead Redemption I saw it coming

Satanta
On 3/24/2019 at 12:30 PM, Vladistar_895 said:

I felt Arthur would die before Red Dead Redemption 2 got released because he wasn't one of John Marston's targets of his former gang;and after playing it I felt he would die of tuberculosis after that mission in Saint Denis where you go to the doctor.It was so sad when he died,but for me who I played Red Dead Redemption I saw it coming

Once he had TBand I knew it even before the Doc visit as he was getting worse and worse, I knew he was going to die.   Before that I played out some scenarios-He helps John escape and he and say Mary Beth or Sadie ride off into the Sunset.   He reappears after John's death to teach Jack how to gunfight and be what little bit of a man he became-this would lead into Jack's revenge a bit more logically as Jack was really a whiny punk by the end of RDR2 and in RDR1 so it made no sense for him to possess the same skills John had just 3 years later.

It would make sense in RDR1 as John talked about "The Gang" but only ever mentioned thethree he was hunting by name-no mention of Arthur, Pierson, Sadie, Mary Beth or the rest as there was no need.

Dan_1983

Yes as soon he was diagnosed with TB, I knew he was going to die. It was a death sentence back then and even kills people now. You got to be diagnosed and have treatment early now to survive TB. My Grandad died of TB 20 years ago.

Nulla Lex Ink.

Before the game came out I wanted to believe he wouldn't die. I even talked about it with a friend, mentioning what the leak from a few years back said (or maybe I just said he wasn't in the first game, not sure now), and he proposed the possibility that Arthur "Got on a boat and disappeared to the far East." And for awhile I thought, maybe the game has a happy ending and Arthur lives to the end, with what happened to him afterward being left up to the player to ponder.

Around the bank job mission I started to think something would happen to Arthur - Heck, I thought this could be the final mission. When the trophy list leaked and gameplay came out is when I went into complete blackout mode, but I remember glancing at a post that said one of the trophies seemed to imply there would only be 60-70 missions, which thankfully ended up being false, but while playing that part of the game I kept thinking about how it was the 57th or 58th mission (or so the progress section said). Before Arthur got the diagnosis, I think I joked with my wife that he must have tuberculosis, either because of how he looked or a coughing fit he had. Then the mission where he actually gets diagnosed happened the next day (I had stopped since the night before, "Banking, The Old American Art" was supposed to be the last mission I played that night, but then I ended up playing through all of Guarma, so I went to bed pretty late, haha).

When he got the diagnosis I actually believed it was from Guarma before I read the journal entry, I think I even text my buddy about it being that. But then I read the entry and it made sense. I hadn't been able to connect the dots before since when I did the mission it was night time, so I couldn't even see Downes spitting blood on Arthur. Even if I had though I doubt I would have noticed it, since they were pretty subtle. In hindsight it seems kinda obvious (the ominous music and Arthur wiping his mouth and all), but that's with what I know now. I know others predicted it based off that scene, but I doubt I'd have been one of the ones to have picked up on it. Might have made a joke, but that'd be about it.

Anyways, at that point I reckoned he was a dead man walking, but I held out hope the game would end on an ambiguous note. In the end, Arthur would move to the deserts of New Austin to help with his TB. We'd still play as Arthur and be left with the implication that by 1911 he had passed. The ending would be bittersweet because we know he's going to die, and he's lost his family. I hoped for that since I was pretty attached to him by that point and didn't want to see him die. There was a point when I was riding around the hills near the final camp, and as I followed up a path going upwards the light of the sun filled my screen, and I thought "Oh my God, they're killing him outside of a mission even?!" After how sudden "A Fork in the Road" occurred I wouldn't have been surprised by something like this, but no, it turned out to just be a picturesque moment that has still stuck with me.

I honestly don't think I ever really accepted the inevitable, looking back. I checked the progress menu every now and then, and it said that I was only 75% through the story - I figured that SOMETHING had to happen to make it so that Arthur would not be dead when the credits rolled. I thought that last 25% or so would mostly take place out West, and Arthur's health would improve from the heat and those herbs Rains Fall gave him, or some kind of treatment. I didn't wanna believe that leak from years ago. When John was shot off the train I thought the last chunk of missions would see what was left of the gang pack up and go to New Austin before a split up happened. I had no idea that Arthur's story was going to end around 75%. I thought for sure I had more time.

Then I saw the name of that last mission and knew that Arthur was going to die soon. All throughout that mission I kept wondering what would happen - Would Milton shoot him? Would he die fighting the Pinkertons so John could escape? Would Dutch and Micah get him? And when that final fight with Micah started I wanted him to at least kill Micah, but unfortunately that was not to be either. When he crawled and looked at the sunset I knew it was over. I remember when I took control of John the first time, I couldn't stop thinking/saying to myself "I'm playing as John now."

Yet, still, throughout the epilogue I hoped maybe he wouldn't be dead after all, as dumb as that probably would have been. When Charles confirmed he buried him I finally accepted it. Ended up staying up til about 4 or 5 in the morning, until I got to kill Micah. I knew that would be the ending and I wanted to kill him so badly at that point. When the credits rolled I just finally took it all in, especially when it showed Arthur's grave. I didn't cry, but I was very sad. When I saw Ross and Fordham finding Beecher's Hope it felt like an extra gut punch.

So that's a long, long, long way of me saying no, I didn't see it coming, haha. As a side note, I also remember seeing someone talking about a trophy concerning "visiting the graves of fallen comrades," and thought that maybe there was something to RDRemaster being part of the game, or playing as Arthur in 1911 after a time skip, because I thought it referred to visiting John and Uncle's graves. I didn't think for a second that Arthur's grave would be one of them, and that fact served as an extra dose of emotion to me. Still haven't done the "grave visiting" achievement. I plan for it to be the final thing I do for 100% completion, and Arthur's to be the last grave I visit.