3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

GreetRevenge

Did the ending ruined the game for you?

Did the ending ruined the game for you?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Did the ending ruined the game for you?

• Yes
    • No

Dangerous and sad
7 hours ago, Journey_95 said:

Actually people complained specifically about Jack being a pussy and lame compared to John..but John is a pretty great character himself even if Arthur is a bit more compelling so I don't get why people wouldn't want to play as him. It's the perfect epilogue and at the same time set up for RDR imho

Because when you play as John. You can't be an outlaw. When I play with Arthur I can be what a want. A prick or a nice guy. With John there's only one option

McGhee
46 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

Good idea. While I don't have any issue playing as John since he's a great character himself I have to admit it's strange that he can go to places he's never been to or doesn't have much knowledge of (like Tumbleweek) because in Red Dead Redemption it gives the impression he's never been outside of West Elizabeth.

Also something I done knowing of Arthur's impending fate is I made sure I completed every stranger task I could (well I didn't finish the ones where you have to collect things) because I remember in Red Dead Redemption leaving a few of them unresolved and by the time the story ended in 1914 playing as Jack it just felt bizarre going back to doing them and the people acted like only a few days had passed and were completely oblivious they were interacting with Jack not John. 

But I guess that's a drawback of making a prequel and switching to another character right at the end. You risk breaking immersion and coherency. 

Drawback or risk. It's actually strange that they, the creators of the one, take a different turn with the other. Of all people, they should be the ones knowing somethings just don't play out as it should be. And, they are the ones who can solve that the best. If John visiting Tumbleweed shouldn't be possible at that time of day, someone else should be going there; a RDO protagonist. They have no history nor future in the RDR storyline, so perfect for exploring and finishing everything Arthur started. For missions or conversation in public, they could easily take the recordings of Arthur's voice for men, Sadie's voice for female protagonists. 

Journey_95
7 hours ago, tre288 said:

I'd settle for a damn "be Arthur Morgan" cheat at this point.

I liked everything about him infinitely more than john as a playable and customizable character.

His hair, his frame, his voice, the way he interacted with everything, and just the way he looked in all of the outfit types i liked to customize him in.

Just feels played out to me at this point to encourage players to invest many hours into your character personally, and then predictably a second time around flip a switch to try and squeeze out that emotional payoff, and then essentially leave you post game with something entirely different.

As with the first, it turns me off of a second playthrough because what's the point? Only way to explore the rest of the map is to throw away the character, and I'm not enjoying a second playthrough as that character I know investing in is pointless because they'll be wiped and switched.

It's not played out because this is still part of the same narrative overall. It's not like they made a completely standalone game with not much connection with RDR1 (like GTA games are) and then killed off the protagonist again. Then yeah it might have seemed cheap

But Arthur's story ending this way and setting up RDR1 this way with John makes sense and is more impactful. Letting Arthur live would feel cheap and not make much sense story wise for RDR1..

I don't get why this would turn you off a second playthrough, the main part of the game was explored and can be explored again with Arthur. The new stuff is only the first game's map rehashed. It's not like they dumped Arthur midway through the story (now that would be a waste), John's part just like Jack's a short epilogue. This type of criticism only makes developers play things safe and have no consequences for the main characters.

Edited by Journey_95

scotthedge12

The ending didn't ruin the game, but the portrayal of John made me ignore post game content and restart to keep playing as Arthur. John sucks in this game and he looks so rail thin. Why does John look pretty good when you're Arthur but looks like an anorexic bobble head when I'm controlling him? What went wrong? Body type aside, John is just a piece of dung in this game and the voice actor seems to have lost passion for the project. Thank god for Arthur Morgan.

It would have been so much better to take control of dutch or Sadie.

Edited by scotthedge12

Journey_95
7 minutes ago, scotthedge12 said:

The ending didn't ruin the game, but the portrayal of John made me ignore post game content and restart to keep playing as Arthur. John sucks in this game and he looks so rail thin. Why does John look pretty good when you're Arthur but looks like an anorexic bobble head when I'm controlling him? What went wrong? Body type aside, John is just a piece of dung in this game and the voice actor seems to have lost passion for the project. Thank god for Arthur Morgan.

It would have been so much better to take control of dutch or Sadie.

I agree about John's look, it feels off. But his portrayal is fine, he isn't RDR John just yet and this shows growth in his character. No way would Sadie have been better, her voice got annoying and she wasn't that compelling. Dutch was easily the best character of the game after Arthur but as a protagonist? I don't think that would work. John fits the overall story of RDR much better..

scotthedge12
Just now, Journey_95 said:

I agree about John's look, it feels off. But his portrayal is fine, he isn't RDR John just yet and this shows growth in his character. No way would Sadie have been better, her voice got annoying and she wasn't that compelling. Dutch was easily the best character of the game after Arthur but as a protagonist? I don't think that would work. John fits the overall story of RDR much better..

They wouldn't be the protagonist. That's Arthur. This is just a character to tie up loose ends and explore with. Agree to disagree on Sadie. I'd much rather look at Sadie's character model and be a bad ass bounty hunter than a starving family man. I can do that sh*t in real life.

Journey_95
8 minutes ago, scotthedge12 said:

They wouldn't be the protagonist. That's Arthur. This is just a character to tie up loose ends and explore with. Agree to disagree on Sadie. I'd much rather look at Sadie's character model and be a bad ass bounty hunter than a starving family man. I can do that sh*t in real life.

Yeah I know but tying up loose ends with the protagonist of the original game just makes more sense in my opinion. But to each their own.

Cutter De Blanc

If anyone should be auto-killed trying to visit New Austin it should be John not Arthur, I just don't understand it

scotthedge12
1 hour ago, Journey_95 said:

Yeah I know but tying up loose ends with the protagonist of the original game just makes more sense in my opinion. But to each their own.

On pc I'll just use a Sadie mod for post game :D

Edited by scotthedge12

jje1000
2 hours ago, Dangerous and sad said:

Because when you play as John. You can't be an outlaw. When I play with Arthur I can be what a want. A prick or a nice guy. With John there's only one option

I sort of wish that the bank loan was larger, and the payment from Dutch's stash was smaller and didn't completely cover it- it would have given John a motive in acting dishonorably, in that he needed money to pay off his loan and save the farm. As of now, the endgame is essentially John going on adventures without any sort of inherent motive.

Of course, it would also be a middle finger to players who've already lost Arthur's money and horses, and want some sort of reward for finishing the game.

rusbeckia

in the mission when you first help Falling Rain as Arthur, he picks some herbs for you and gives then to you after the mission. I somehow managed to mess up taking the meds the man gave to me, so I don't know what would have happened. Anybody can clear that up for me?

Gallows
7 minutes ago, rusbeckia said:

in the mission when you first help Falling Rain as Arthur, he picks some herbs for you and gives then to you after the mission. I somehow managed to mess up taking the meds the man gave to me, so I don't know what would have happened. Anybody can clear that up for me?

I never used them. Looked for them in my satchel, but could not find them.

Miamivicecity

Does anyone else find it a little weird (and kind of creepy) that John can wear Arthur's clothes? Like I appreciate the game lets us keep the outfits, but the summer gunslinger outfit for example is something I find synonymous with Arthur. Who in their right mind would want to wear a dead man's clothes? lol

It's not really game breaking just odd.

Jabalous

I only wore Arthur's hat during the  mission to kill Micah. For symbolism and all.

rusbeckia
1 hour ago, Gallows said:

I never used them. Looked for them in my satchel, but could not find them.

same here. 

18 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

Does anyone else find it a little weird (and kind of creepy) that John can wear Arthur's clothes? Like I appreciate the game lets us keep the outfits, but the summer gunslinger outfit for example is something I find synonymous with Arthur. Who in their right mind would want to wear a dead man's clothes? lol

In the mission where John tells Sadie that he wants to marry Abigail, he told her that he has taken care of Arthur's inheritance. 

McGhee
1 hour ago, Miamivicecity said:

Tbh, I did dress up John as Arthur, to keep that Arthur feeling in the game, but changed rather quickly. It doesn't work and it is rather weird indeed. Not only is it weird in the sense of wearing a dead man's cloths, it 's also a dubious story on how he would have obtained them. 

Charles went back to bury Arthur (must have taken him a while to dig into rock, btw), and must have buried him naked, taking his clothes, only to wait a few years to meet John again and pass them to him? Big "hmmmmmm", here. 

Anyone who possessed Arthur's clothes, including the outfit he died in, needs to be kept an extra eye on.....