3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

GreetRevenge

Did the ending ruined the game for you?

Did the ending ruined the game for you?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Did the ending ruined the game for you?

• Yes
    • No

GreetRevenge

It certainly did for me. 

Penicuikscotland2010

It was emotional but not game breaking. Lol just got to deal with it. It is what it is. Thank god for save files though :)

jje1000

It was a great piece of storytelling, but you've also ended up with players who don't want to move beyond the 3rd-4th chapter now.

Crrooss

Definitely not in the sense of story-telling. It was very mature to show us his deadly illnes in whole 6'th chapter. I could nearly feels his pain, that was very depressing and just sad. Final mission only showed what was unavoidable. And to be honest - his death was kinda relief - cause it was end of his pain and he did everything he can to complete his redemption and he saved John with his family. 

Maybe it ruined my game (in some way) at gameplay point of view. Couse, as many others, I would preffer to play as (healthy) Arthur in the endgame, not as an John. 

ASMorgan

You didn't see it coming when they announced Marston was gonna be a character in it?

Revrico

Story wise, it was a spectacular ending. But I hate John so much after so long in the second red dead game that gameplay is kind of ruined. If only he was mute...

Jason

It made for an incredible and complete story for Arthur and I think that is what will matter more to me years after I stop playing the game and look back on it.

I can fully understand people who wanted Arthur to live, he's my favourite ever Rockstar protagonist - if not outright favourite video game protag ever. I loved every second of him and yea I could have happily played on with him into the epilogue but yea, his journey in the game combined with the ending, it's a story that'll stick with me for a long time.

geeknetgamespsn

Arthur died too give John a better life.. Telling  him too run and not look back and that this way of life is over for him and that his main focus should be his family.. Remember how Arthur thought how revenge was a needless path of pain? How it would change nothing because for example it "wont bring the dead back"

Well instead of listening too Arthur.. John decided too look back and get revenge on Micah you know if he never did this John would probably never seen Edgar Ross again.. He he never would've died... The ending didnt ruin the game for me... It made me love it more.. Because of Johns love and respect for Arthur for what he did for him... He risked his life.. and he didnt know that in the end it would kill him... RDR2 isnt a prequel.. Its a companion.. 

ThroatSlasher2

I think a lot of people are undermining John's character way too much. He's what made the foundation for Arthur being a better character possible.

Y'all mothaf*ckas got no respect!

Cutter De Blanc

Well, yes and no. It was no secret that I didn't want to play as John again. John doing rancher sh*t in the most boring period of his life no less. His first mission "The Wheel" just filled me with blinding rage.

Upon reaching the epilogue I have reloaded my game at Chapter 4 and am just not advancing the storyline anymore.

I suppose one day I might complete the epilogue.

I thought the story was great though, but from a gameplay perspective I hate it. HATE IT.

Overall I would say no. The game is too excellent to let one flaw ruin it for me.

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

raysis

After finishing chapter 6 i was dissapointed, just because Arthur died at 75-77% progress or so, i was looking forward to explore the desert and get him healthy, he said one time that he knew a good doctor one place where it was warm. 

The second thing is that Arthur got sick in around 50-60% of the game. I know it realistic at that time. But i didnt bought a game to have a sick character that cough mutch and looks very sick, he also slightly get the food you eat so i had to eat often to keep him normal weight.

If i can complane Even more the last chapter didnt offered food, i could not manage the camp to upgrade the rest or donate money.

Starting as John with 11 dollar was a BIG BUMMER besides almost hole epilogue chapter 1 was very boring, picking up horse sh*t, deliver crates and work on the farm isnt what i wanted to spend my time on. Think i spent 90 minutes with boring work missions before i got arthurs hat and some of his guns back.

I havent did missions in prologue chapter two yet, but i hope it’s better vs the first one...

It ruined the story line for me. I lost interest to explore and play in the same world without Arthur. Feels so strange to be John. 

I also lost my save files, so i only have one save file from late chapter 6, is it no way to get back to chapter 4-5 or so? 

IG_

Two weeks of playing as Arthur and now playing as Marston feels weird but I think I'll get used to it.
I feel like it's playing as Jack in RDR1, people exaggerate how unlikable he was, ultimately I think it didn't matter at all and enjoying the rest of the game as Jack after the campaign finished was no problem.

IMO I think what people really have an issue is no longer having a happy camp/gang, they might be mixing that with having to play as John. The entire gang either died or betrayed you and that feels worse than one character dying.
I should have created a save somewhere at Chapter 4 lol.

Edited by IG_

iddqdvie

i saw it coming, i knew it‘ll be john in the end but while playing the epilogue i kinda got hyped for sadie adler! i was actually hoping he would pass the legacy on to her. 

after the credits i checked

out new austin and now i am trying to find the right savegame, but starting new is probably the best way to go. 

so yes, never before did i want to stay somewhere in the middle of the story! probably because the gameworld is so emotional! gtaV never made me want to be at a specific part in the story. this game is different! so yes, the ending had an impact!

raysis

Yes i agree, we miss our gang and the camp, so to get a happy camp you must get back to chapter 4. Dam i hate that i cant load into chapter 4, but another way it also feel little wierd to load back also and be where you was long time ago knowing the ending. 

I just explored austin the desert area on the map, to try to make it up for my loss, but i cant say they used so mutch energy to make it like a real western area there, just a couple  small towns, one of them is just without a sherrif and just sick people there.

Now we have to wait for red dead online to arrive 🙂 that would probably make the game real great again.

Lonely-Martin

Not for me. 

I knew Arthur was gonna either die, get busted, or get out clean to never return. Just didn't know which.

Quite probably the best storyI've played in a game. 

The FoolYT

People who played the first Red Dead had a rough idea what was going to happen. We knew something had to happen to the gang members we didn't see in RDR so Arthur either dying or getting hanged was the most likely outcome. 

It didn't ruin the game for me but i had to admit, this was one of the only times I've actually been somewhat attached to a character. Plus i lost my horse as well as Arthur :cry:

Benaz

I think at first i felt that the ending was going to ruin the experience for me and i thought this even as it was happening. However, now i am living the rancher life and spending more time as John i have realized that Rockstar have given us the ending we wanted in the original RDR. John retires on his ranch, we get to play as him and there is a sense of accomplishment in that even if you know the events to come. Sometimes just doing side tasks on the ranch and interacting with Uncle, Abigail and Jack has this strange nostalgia to it that i love.

On a side note Sheriff Freeman is the best New Austin character and i hope they expand his role in DLC or in the online mode

VercettiClarke

Yeah I thought the ending was terrible. Cliched and extremely predictable. In my opinion, even though I loved the game and there were some strong parts within the story, overall I'm starting to realise rockstar really aren't the best at creating stories. I feel like every character in the game was skimmed over and there was no room for real character development. The ending really put the nails in the coffin

LeonVegaSuarez

When I "accidentally" found out about Arthur's death via youtube thumbnails, I thought it would ruin it. Playing through the game and seeing Arthur's progression as a character changed things for me. I really liked how he realized money won't do him any good and he decided to help those who he had harmed before and especially his friends, like John and Sadie.

Also canon wise, it wouldn't have made sense for Arthur to survive. What was he going to do? He's a known criminal all over the map, it wouldve been a bit weird to just freeroam after the story and stroll around Saint Denis like nothing happened.

I made a save right before the Saint Denis heist in chapter 4 and I'm currently playing this one to get all the stuff done I want to do as Arthur.

The endgame as John is fun, too. Nice to have a home and roleplay a bit.

Maddened_Ghost

Maybe to a certain point, not sure if anyone will know the exact cutscene I'm talking about, but there was this certain moment when Arthur was laying in the ground in Annesburg coughing blood, that's when I've decided to rush through the rest of the story, I hated what happened to him, his look was not good at all, I was taking the chapters so slowly at first, but the moment I've seen that I was like "Screw this"

After his death I've kinda lost motivation to get through the rest until the mission "Jim Milton Rides, Again?" more specifically that music that played when John fires the first shot at the thieves, that's when it picked up for me again, as that music playing I got hyped up haha I was like "LETS DO THIS" as I knew we'll be able to take out Micah at some point in the story.

It didn't ruin the game, it just made it a bit difficult to go through some points of it, I think it's some clever storylining even though I hated what happened to Arthur.

One of the endings should've been Arthur putting a knife in Micah's skull, DAMN YOU MICAH!

Edited by Maddened_Ghost

SeniorDerp

I wouldn’t say it was ruined because Arthur getting sick and worse over time was drawn out so it felt inevitable. Switching to John was meh at first because I really liked Arthur but I kind of enjoy it the more I play the epilogue, I want to shoot Abigale though.

I do however wish there were a way for a non-canon alternate ending, like if you had 100% honor or something, someone would’ve saved Arthur and he got healthy again. 

Also, it was a bit disappointing when you show up to the house wearing Arthur’s hat and there was no dialogue about John wearing the damn sh*t

Edited by SeniorDerp

HockeyMike24

The ending was great. If Arthur ran off into the sunset with riches while the rest of the gang dies off, that would of been a horrible ending imo.

DEADWOODZ
12 minutes ago, SeniorDerp said:

I do however wish there were a way for a non-canon alternate ending, like if you had 100% honor or something, someone would’ve saved Arthur and he got healthy again. 

I think back in those days when you had TB, ya pretty much f*cked...either way I would of loved a leave the gang & ride off into the sunset option for Arthur ( high honor perhaps). But the whole story tied in very nice for me, I’ll never forget Morgan’s story and the impact he had on John!

SeniorDerp
23 minutes ago, DEADWOODZ said:

I think back in those days when you had TB, ya pretty much f*cked...either way I would of loved a leave the gang & ride off into the sunset option for Arthur ( high honor perhaps). But the whole story tied in very nice for me, I’ll never forget Morgan’s story and the impact he had on John!

I think you were definitely a goner lol It would've been a nice option. Maybe there'll be a DLC where you play as an Undead Arthur Morgan.. spooky

Edited by SeniorDerp

raysis

Other sh*t about this ending is that it would be a long time until next rdr game for a new story, if we get one at all. 

It have been 8 years since rdr1 and 5 years since gta 5, I realy enjoy their story line playing, but now it ended bad for Arthur already when he got sick, and that was maby around 60% progress, then he was gone to early in the story if you ask me, Arthur should live so we could explore the rest of the game with him after all we have been trough, that would make me happy and i would like to continue to play after all missions.

Now im going to finish prologue chapter 2 and after it’s only online left for me.

Playing with John feels like you just borrow a character.

If we had to be another member it would be cool to be Dutch lol, and then this ranch life in chapter 1 would never happened.

They could have helped Arthur to be healthy and give him new identity, so we could load into story mode and be happy after all this waiting for rdr2 to release. Feel like all money earning was a big waist of time. 

How could John walk around with no wanted level? He was also a Linde van gang member and have also killed and robbed.

ThroatSlasher2
42 minutes ago, raysis said:

Other sh*t about this ending is that it would be a long time until next rdr game for a new story, if we get one at all. 

It have been 8 years since rdr1 and 5 years since gta 5, I realy enjoy their story line playing, but now it ended bad for Arthur already when he got sick, and that was maby around 60% progress, then he was gone to early in the story if you ask me, Arthur should live so we could explore the rest of the game with him after all we have been trough, that would make me happy and i would like to continue to play after all missions.

Now im going to finish prologue chapter 2 and after it’s only online left for me.

Playing with John feels like you just borrow a character.

If we had to be another member it would be cool to be Dutch lol, and then this ranch life in chapter 1 would never happened.

They could have helped Arthur to be healthy and give him new identity, so we could load into story mode and be happy after all this waiting for rdr2 to release. Feel like all money earning was a big waist of time. 

How could John walk around with no wanted level? He was also a Linde van gang member and have also killed and robbed.

How can you even say you don't want to play as John and yet want to play as Dutch, one of the most despicable pieces of sh*t in the game?

Did you even play the story?

Shinola Gamer

In a alternative universe.... We keep playing as Arthur at the end, he's laying low in New Austin with Mary with a couple of epilogue mission been a good guy..... People at the forums: "No R* should kill his character how are they gonna explain the events of RDR1 if he still alive"! "Holly fu#* R* should use this ending to play as John we could see how he makes his ranch, don't get me wrong I love Arthur but there's no point to keep playing as him". Whines and complaints can go on and on....

ASMorgan

I read Rockstar had huge issues rendering Morgan into New Austin & since they wanted it in the game, they had to bring John back.

freeluv21

I think Arthur’s fate is a brilliant marketing move by Rockstar. Think about it: They set out to create a legendary game with a beautiful open world filled with things and events that are designed to make your playing experience as immersive as possible. And they succeeded. At most, players have only been living as Arthur for a few weeks, yet, a lot of those players are as emotionally connected to him as they are to their GTAOnline character, someone they’ve been playing as for 5yrs! So here’s my point: RDR2Online is right around the corner and we’re all aware how financially important Online play is to Rockstars bottom line. With GTA5, we split up our playing time between 3 characters so we looked at Online as an opportunity to create a character that we could grow with as Online evolved. Now back to RDR2 and Arthur. Here we have a character we feel attached to and a world full of enough opportunities and diversity to keep our attention for the foreseeable future. Of course, even with all that, we will still be curious about the Online feature, but can you honestly say that you wouldnt be a little more apt to coming back to story mode more regularly if you still had Arthur, his horse, things, and the gang??? But since he’s gone now our attention will be more drawn to Online opportunities. Atleast that’s how I see it. Sorry for the essay!

jje1000
56 minutes ago, freeluv21 said:

I think Arthur’s fate is a brilliant marketing move by Rockstar. Think about it: They set out to create a legendary game with a beautiful open world filled with things and events that are designed to make your playing experience as immersive as possible. And they succeeded. At most, players have only been living as Arthur for a few weeks, yet, a lot of those players are as emotionally connected to him as they are to their GTAOnline character, someone they’ve been playing as for 5yrs! So here’s my point: RDR2Online is right around the corner and we’re all aware how financially important Online play is to Rockstars bottom line. With GTA5, we split up our playing time between 3 characters so we looked at Online as an opportunity to create a character that we could grow with as Online evolved. Now back to RDR2 and Arthur. Here we have a character we feel attached to and a world full of enough opportunities and diversity to keep our attention for the foreseeable future. Of course, even with all that, we will still be curious about the Online feature, but can you honestly say that you wouldnt be a little more apt to coming back to story mode more regularly if you still had Arthur, his horse, things, and the gang??? But since he’s gone now our attention will be more drawn to Online opportunities. Atleast that’s how I see it. Sorry for the essay!

I always find that since Online characters are a blank slate for players to project onto, the stories aren't as focused nor the characters as well defined- which is why I almost always prefer single-player DLC which permits better characterization and storytelling. Arthur's story works because we gradually discover his motives and depth of character, and those traits influence the choices he makes throughout the story and the way he chooses to interact with people- I just don't see this with any online missions where it's usually the quest-giver essentially talking to blank space (heck, GTA V Online's characters were essentially mute).

On the other hand, I think that free-roam is where people will be able to connect to their characters because there will be a form of reciprocity between players, but it will be a slower process that's won't be the whirlwind of emotions the single-player campaign was.

Edited by jje1000