Grand Theft Auto V vs. Red Dead Redemption 2

Grand Theft Auto V vs. Red Dead Redemption 2  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which game is better?

• Grand Theft Auto V
    • Red Dead Redemption 2

Miamivicecity
44 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

It always amazed me how a very unimportant mission(in looks) and characters becomes such an important thing later. R* pulled the strings right under our nose. 

I hear ya...

I remember being shocked at Kieran's death coming back on the horse with his severed head, but I had actually forgotten how he got involved with the gang. It turns out he's the O'Driscoll you kidnap very early on, but I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention.

Journey_95
16 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

@Journey_95

Each GTA represents it's era IMO. GTA V was released in 2013. The year when people started turning into the douchebags we see today. The game is still relevant in that regard. The FIB was relevant to the story because they made a deal with Michael. You always say things should have Consequences. And what happened with Trevor and the FIB was exactly what Michael had coming.

Not every GTA has been about gangs. Though GTA V had it's own share(LOST MC, Aztecas, Ballas, O'neils,Triads...) IV went ahead and turned Niko into a Hitman for most of the game and the Russian Mafia didn't make enough Appearance IMO. Bulgarin an incredible character was magically forgotten to be milked in TBOGT. That's why I felt the game lost it's focus after Niko moves to Algonquin. It was absolutely top notch until that point.  Little Jacob and the Yardies and basically the UNDERGROUND life of Liberty City which is a huge part of NYC weren't explored well. However I agree that Madrazo was a huge waste of Opportunity in V.  Devin as well. He could be someone like Leviticus Cornwall in RDR2. V's story IMO lacked a lot ONLY in the Final Chapter. It did not have a good closure and satisfaction at the end and that's why you're like "Uhm Ok I guess? 

I agree that GTA IV should have focused more on the Russian Mafia after the first arc, Bulgarin was wasted (and I didn't like his role in TBOGT either). But we got a lot of focus on the Italian mob which makes sense considering the setting. Meanwhile Cartels should have gotten similiar focus in GTA V but were shafted in favour of the FIB and Merryweather.

Ballas, Aztecas, Triads etc. were background fodder at best, not really focused on enough. The FIB being relevant makes sense but they went too far considering just how much of the story they take over, even most of the heists were done for them which took away from the "Pursuit of the almighty dollar" theme Rockstar kept talking about before release.

And yeah GTA V's final part was the most lackluster, the trio solved their problems way too easily and there was no real threat no interesting twist etc. GTA SA and VC's final missions were way more impactful and they didn't even try to be dark and emotional like GTA IV (which had my favourite final mission)

Edited by Journey_95

woggleman

I actually liked V despite it's flaws but RDR2 is one of the best games I have ever played. You can get lost in this world.

Journey_95
27 minutes ago, woggleman said:

I actually liked V despite it's flaws but RDR2 is one of the best games I have ever played. You can get lost in this world.

I do too, I just prefer GTA IV and RDR2 easily and compared to them it's lacking in a few areas but it's still better than most games these days

woggleman
1 minute ago, Journey_95 said:

I do too, I just prefer GTA IV and RDR2 easily and compared to them it's lacking in a few areas but it's still better than most games these days

V is a game of highs and lows. It has the Jewelry Store Job and Hood safari but then it also has Scouting the Port and the Yoga mission. IV and both RDR games seemed more on a consistent high at least to me.

Miamivicecity
1 hour ago, Journey_95 said:

GTA V has its good qualities and it's a good game in its own right however it would be a much better game if it fully developed things like the property management, friends system etc instead of feeling like they were tacked on just because...

What I love about Red Dead Redemption 2 is while it's not a "perfect" game it fully fleshes out its systems and nothing feels tacked on/underdeveloped. It's a game built around its own mechanics and the end result shows. Many of the additions GTA V introduced were welcomed obviously, but I just wish they spent a little more time developing certain aspects out to their absolute fullest.

It seems R* have learnt a lot since GTA V and it's a great sign.

woggleman

With RDR2 R also didn't have to contend with a divided fanbase. I love IV but it was and is very polarizing in a way that RDR1 was not. 

Journey_95
1 hour ago, woggleman said:

V is a game of highs and lows. It has the Jewelry Store Job and Hood safari but then it also has Scouting the Port and the Yoga mission. IV and both RDR games seemed more on a consistent high at least to me.

Agreed, definitely an inconsistent game. Weak villians and at least one really boring MC (Franklin) don't help either, also I'm not saying it should have had a GTA IV esque tone but some more serious moments would have been good instead of turning everything into a joke. Overall Rockstar tried too hard to pander to everyone after the GTA IV backlash, meanwhile GTA IV + both RDR games are more well crafted consistent games.

1 hour ago, Miamivicecity said:

GTA V has its good qualities and it's a good game in its own right however it would be a much better game if it fully developed things like the property management, friends system etc instead of feeling like they were tacked on just because...

What I love about Red Dead Redemption 2 is while it's not a "perfect" game it fully fleshes out its systems and nothing feels tacked on/underdeveloped. It's a game built around its own mechanics and the end result shows. Many of the additions GTA V introduced were welcomed obviously, but I just wish they spent a little more time developing certain aspects out to their absolute fullest.

It seems R* have learnt a lot since GTA V and it's a great sign.

Agreed stuff like the property management was obviously just tacked on because it was a popular feature from the 3D Era and they were going all in with the pandering. Thing is they still half assed things and even many SA fans don't like it..

It's still a really good game but rather inconsistent (cancelling SP DLC in favour of Online didn't help). I really hope GTA VI is better but after RDR2 I'm optimistic again. 

Edited by Journey_95

Mr_Long

Definitely Red Dead 2. GTA 5 doesn't feel as alive as in Red Dead 2. Gta 5's city is nice and all, but it's like you get cops and everyone just forgets once you lose them, but in Red Dead 2 if you lose the cops right away and go back in town and a cop spots you'll become wanted again. Red Dead 2 just has so much depth to it I can't see how some people like GTA 5 better other than it being more modernized. 

[GTA 5 SPOILER]Red Dead 2's story is awesome, but in GTA 5 your reasons for killing your antagonists are pretty much pointless. You also seem so much more powerful than your antagonist too. It doesn't seem satisfying to single-handedly kill Stretch, Wei Cheng, Steve Haines and Devin Weston. In Red Dead 2 your motivations for killing the antagonist actually make sense. The story in general in GTA 5 doesn't make any sense either. The mission structure is also better in Red Dead 2. 

Now let's move on to the characters. Red Dead 2 has some of the most memorable characters. In Red Dead 2 you might be emotionally attached to some of them and seeing some die is pretty sad. In GTA 5 you can't care about the characters because there all stereotypes. Michael's family is a stereotype. I mean seriously the characters just aren't that good in GTA 5.

Now interiors: Red Dead 2 comes on top with you being able to enter more than 5 saloons in free-roam and etc.. In GTA 5 you can only enter the strip club and that one bar in Sandy Shores. GTA 5 just lacked in interiors and I'm glad Rockstar took feedback from GTA for Red Dead 2. Even GTA 4 had more interiors than GTA 5.

The physics and graphics goes to Red Dead 2. GTA 5's graphics are still nice, but Red Dead 2's are superior. Also the physics in GTA 5 are downgraded from Red Dead 1's euphoria. Let's all just be thankful Red Dead 2's weren't as bad.

GTA 5 while still a fun game isn't as good as Red Dead 2. The game is just lacking in some things that Red Dead 2 has.

Miamivicecity
16 minutes ago, Mr_Long said:

Now let's move on to the characters. Red Dead 2 has some of the most memorable characters. In Red Dead 2 you might be emotionally attached to some of them and seeing some die is pretty sad. In GTA 5 you can't care about the characters because there all stereotypes. Michael's family is a stereotype. I mean seriously the characters just aren't that good in GTA 5.

Yeah. I didn't care for the well being of any of GTA V's characters at all.

By the end of Red Dead Redemption 2 I felt hollow with how the gang basically dissolved with some of them dying and others leaving never to be seen or heard from again.

It really started to feel like an extended family having been through so many high and lows. For me it's not GTA V's characters being stereotypes it's more to do with them just not being very interesting and forgettable. 

Mr_Long
Spoiler
On 11/8/2018 at 2:41 AM, TheSantader25 said:

Close one. GTA V is my 2nd favorite game of all time. While RDR2 picked the 3rd spot. 

Alright here's a little rant. A sad one. Cause I really love R* but I just have to do this. 

I can't help but think that R* really seem to have a very similar problem with each of their games since GTA IV. They always tend to fix the broken things with their previous games which really shows they listen. But weirdly they keep breaking the strong points of their previous games as well.

- With GTA V they fixed many problems of GTA IV. they fixed the driving, weapon variety, vehicle variety, parachute, planes, a diverse map, customization,clunkiness... BUT they broke IV's strong points. They ruined the AI and physics and the conclusion of the story.

-With RDR2 they brought back physics and AI.They forgot some of gameplay elements previously in GTA V and RDR. you cannot blindfire in a game from 2018.You cannot throw throwables while crouching,In Opposition to RDR and GTA V. these are small obvious things that you'd expect the game to have but they seem to be FORGOTTEN.

I feel like Rockstar's recent focus on the problems really has made them forget what the strong points of their previous games are. The Clothing options seem to be a letdown. The bandana is a letdown from RDR. The mission design seems to be a step down from V. The weapon variety seems to be a bit lower than RDR while you expect them to "expand". But the Story and characters are far, far, far better than V.

-A hangout system(Like IV and V)  for free roam with gang members could be PHENOMENAL with the awesome characters of this game but it's missing. It's just so weird. It seems like R* keep running in a circle. Fixing issues and breaking strong points at the same time. 

Another worrying thing is the pattern each R* game is taking with linearity of missions. The missions keep getting more and more linear. In V, any creative scenario would lead to a mission fail message. Now we've come to the point that they control your movement in RDR2. I miss the old R* where they gave you an objective and you just were free to to do anything as long as you accomplished the objective. No restrictions

I miss when there was tools available to you in a sandbox game that you would use any way you wanted.

Features>Content. If a game is feature heavy it leads to unlimited possibilities since you can make your own scenarios with them. But content(Story and Side content) will always end no matter how good they are.  

This rant may indicate I didn't like the game but I loved it and I easily give it a 9.5/10.But it always hurts me when I think of ways that could make this game much better but R* forgot about them. It does not seem like they neglect these features but actually "forget" about them due to how much work they already need to do. but I gotta say the thing that always seems to remain strong is the world and details. Always phenomenal in all R* games. And yeah. The stealth is still sh*t. R* are the only dev left who try new things. Even if they don't work,they are fresh. The Multiple Protagonist System from V and the dialogue flexibility of RDR2 easily show that they are still creative. Unlike other devs who keep punching the Same sh*t out every year. It's impossible to be perfect but well I am free to have hopes. And My hope is that R* finally create the closest experience to perfection. 

Yeah something that I noticed is Rockstar like to treat different IP's strangely. They don't necessarily bring a bunch of features from one franchise and implent it in another one. Just like in GTA 5 how there's a full-blown strip club that you can enter, but in Red Dead games you can't bang hookers.(Maybe a feature for Red Dead 2 Online) But it's definitely something I notice. Ubisoft pretty much everything from one IP to the next. Compare how the movement is in Assassin's Creed to Watch Dogs and you'll see the similarities. Also in a lot of Ubisoft games they use an open-world formula they implent in Far Cry, Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs and that's a sh*tload of collectibles and objectives. IDK why Ubisoft use the open-world formula in all their games, but it is what it is.

For more info check out this video. It explains things a lot better than I could.

aliovalio

I never played Red Dead Redemption 2 . So My choice is Gta V. Maybe do you know where I can get Red Dead Redemption 2 game? Any good online shops? I know just Amazon, Eneba, G2a, Ebay.. Any more?

Thanks!

MostWantedMVP

This post is a cringe. That GTA game is the worst in the series. For a number of reasons.

To mention Red Dead Redemption 2 in the same sentence is an insult.

Edited by MostWantedMVP

Mr_Long

-snip-

Edited by Mr_Long