Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Diamond Casino Heist
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA 6

      1. St Andrews Cathedral
    3. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

    6. GTA Vice City Stories

    7. GTA Liberty City Stories

    8. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    9. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    10. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    11. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. Announcements

    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
BerntBalchen

Off-hand holster......what for?

Recommended Posts

BerntBalchen

Maybe the off-hand holster is for when on horseback. It can come from the old way of what side of the road you where riding on. Albert C. Rose, who served as "unofficial historian" of the U.S. Bureau of Public Roads during much of his long career with the agency (1919-1950), says: "Travelers with hand guns carried their weapons in the hollows of their left arms and traveled to the right, the better to be ready if an oncoming stranger proved dangerous. Maybe that is what the off-hand holster is for. What do you think?

Edited by BerntBalchen
change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AdmiralJT

There's several reasons for an "off hand holster". Firstly having a second weapon is a good idea because when you fire six shots from the first one you can fire six more before reloading. The reason someone would have the left side holster sitting near center of the belt and turned to be drawn with the right hand is so that while seated  it's easier and faster to draw. Gunfighters like Bill Hickock that could shoot effectively with both hands wore their pistols facing the same direction on both sides. Hickock wore both of his pistols backwards because it's easier to pull the left pistol with the right hand while sitting at a card table.

 

In actuality it was extremely rare to see someone with two pistols. Pistols were expensive, they were tools for cowboys, most cowboys couldn't afford a single pistol let alone two. Most cowboys did not wear gun belts. They carried their pistol in their pocket, the belt of their pants, or often times on a lanyard around their necks. A typical gunbelt with a holster on your hip would be an extremely uncomfortable thing to wear all day while in the saddle. It would also be cumbersome if you were mending fences, cutting steers, or any of the other tasks that would make up a cowboys day.

Edited by AdmiralJT
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyuNova

The whole idea of "drop down" holsters was created for Westerns to look cool and make it easier for the actors to draw and put away the their weapons without looking.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SAS_Intruder

New York reload. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
guardian1816

Am I the only one who has noticed that Arthur is right handed, as his main holster on his leg is the right leg and the "off-hand holster" is perfectly tilted and positioned for...his right hand as well...   

 

What he has is a cross draw holster and no offhand holster.   Off hand would be located on his left leg or for horseback on the right side tilted inward towards his left hand.  This is a silly thing that has bugged me since I started playing.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SAS_Intruder
40 minutes ago, guardian1816 said:

Am I the only one who has noticed that Arthur is right handed, as his main holster on his leg is the right leg and the "off-hand holster" is perfectly tilted and positioned for...his right hand as well...   

 

What he has is a cross draw holster and no offhand holster.   Off hand would be located on his left leg or for horseback on the right side tilted inward towards his left hand.  This is a silly thing that has bugged me since I started playing.  

Good catch.  Basically,  in order to quick draw, he would have to rotate gun in his hand after getting it with his left hand. I tried to improvise with some holsters I have and it is very tricky to pull out gun with left hand quickly.  Most real gunslingers wouldn't even try to dual wield but instead,  after emptying first gun, you take the second one because it is faster than reloading would be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Satanta

Unless you're Josey Wales.  That man can draw and fire with either hand or with no arms.   Seen him handing over his weapons, butt-first and flip them around and shoot the bad guys with 'em.

 

Personally prefer to shoot Lefty-got a nice Fobus for my .45 but also have a cross-draw chest rig for my .357 to the right as I'm proficient that way too.

 

And yeah, I noticed that double-right-handed setup he wears.  Sign of people who researched their Guns and History but not the Real World mechanics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bakkerbaard
16 minutes ago, Satanta said:

Unless you're Josey Wales.  That man can draw and fire with either hand or with no arms.   Seen him handing over his weapons, butt-first and flip them around and shoot the bad guys with 'em.

 

You confuse me. You speak as though you were there (assuming Josey Wales is real and Bill Wilson), but that would make you, for all intents and purposes, dead by now. Or at least too old to handle a Playstation controller. 

 

I've constructed a theory on this: You have discovered an ancient dark magic that gives you immortality, possibly at the cost of your soul, I'm not decided on that yet, and you refuse to share this ancient magic with us. 

So, this begs two questions: How close am I?

And: Are you referring to the movie, in which case I think trick photography may have helped Clint Eastwood a bit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Satanta
38 minutes ago, Bakkerbaard said:

You confuse me. You speak as though you were there (assuming Josey Wales is real and Bill Wilson), but that would make you, for all intents and purposes, dead by now. Or at least too old to handle a Playstation controller. 

 

I've constructed a theory on this: You have discovered an ancient dark magic that gives you immortality, possibly at the cost of your soul, I'm not decided on that yet, and you refuse to share this ancient magic with us. 

So, this begs two questions: How close am I?

And: Are you referring to the movie, in which case I think trick photography may have helped Clint Eastwood a bit.

lol!  Yeah, was reff'ing the movie.  That two gun spin is actually doable but it takes some practice and you definitely need a trigger job and and maybe Single-action as a DA tends to have too much weight in the hammer  [[to me at any rate]].

 

Watched a Youtube the other day where a quick draw actually fired three round hitting three ballooons so it sounded like he fired one-look like it was shot in the 70's, some Gun program or such-maybe a segment off Nightly News or whatever back before guns became "Evil".   THAT is someone you do not want to meet at High Noon.  :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MjrOu812

Duel pistols? Maybe?😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bakkerbaard
10 hours ago, Satanta said:

lol!  Yeah, was reff'ing the movie.  That two gun spin is actually doable but it takes some practice and you definitely need a trigger job and and maybe Single-action as a DA tends to have too much weight in the hammer  [[to me at any rate]].

I'm Dutch, only trigger I ever handled was the one on my airpowered "rifle". All I really know about revolvers is that they look cool and were pretty much the original point & click interface.

 

10 hours ago, Satanta said:

THAT is someone you do not want to meet at High Noon.

Honestly, the way I'm handling dead-eye duels, I don't wanna meet anyone at high noon. ;o)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Satanta
3 hours ago, Bakkerbaard said:

I'm Dutch, only trigger I ever handled was the one on my airpowered "rifle". All I really know about revolvers is that they look cool and were pretty much the original point & click interface.

 

Honestly, the way I'm handling dead-eye duels, I don't wanna meet anyone at high noon. ;o)

lol!

 

Honestly, I'm vision impaured and dead eye in both games is a problem because the pointer blends into the reddish orange screen for me.  Hard enough aiming in regular light but going into deadeye?   Meh, I'm skarooed....   I was hoping they changed it so we could set the pointer color or something but nope.   Same issue with RDR1.   Duels?   Avoided them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BerntBalchen
21 hours ago, RyuNova said:

The whole idea of "drop down" holsters was created for Westerns to look cool and make it easier for the actors to draw and put away the their weapons without looking.

Funny you should say that. Because here the other night i watch a Eastwood western called Joe Kidd on the TV. At the end after killing Robert Duval, and they walk outside. The carracter (Sheriff or something) standing behind Eastwood. James Wainwright i think it is, try to holster his gun in the "drop down" holster. And he miss. He stands there for a couple of seconds like nothing happen, like a cool guy. Then he try again and hit. LOL...he clearly missed. Looks so funny. Check it out. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyuNova
3 minutes ago, BerntBalchen said:

Funny you should say that. Because here the other night i watch a Eastwood western called Joe Kidd on the TV. At the end after killing Robert Duval, and they walk outside. The carracter (Sheriff or something) standing behind Eastwood. James Wainwright i think it is, try to holster his gun in the "drop down" holster. And he miss. He stands there for a couple of seconds like nothing happen, like a cool guy. Then he try again and hit. LOL...he clearly missed. Looks so funny. Check it out. :)

 

I think (Only think) I know the scene you speak of. I will have to Youtube it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BerntBalchen
4 minutes ago, RyuNova said:

 

I think (Only think) I know the scene you speak of. I will have to Youtube it.

Yes, please do that. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.