2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
HOW'S ANNIE?

Are gang hideouts supposed to be this difficult?

HOW'S ANNIE?

Just when I began to think this game wasn't a big enough challenge... Bam I decide to try and take out the O'Driscol gang hideout north of Strawberry. Took me over an hour worth of attempts and finally got it after a ten minute long shootout (mostly consisting of hiding in a corner and waiting for them to come to me). Bar the loansharking mission involving the

the cougar in the cave

I haven't had such a frustrating experience with this game.

Am I just sh*t at this game? Or has anyone else wanted to throw their controller through the screen trying to conquer one of these?

The Algerian
32 minutes ago, HOW'S ANNIE? said:

Am I just sh*t at this game?

Hey, you said it, not me.

Maybe plan your approach a little bit better, can't be hard to find cover before your engage for instance.

Jedster

I didn't had too much trouble with this one... tried to do it quietly and shot the guy on watch tower with the bow, others almost instantly started shooting at me so I went guns blazing (dual schoffield) and killed them all... didn't die once and I am playing with free aim.

Grotti Vigilante

Only gang hideout I did outside of regular missions was taking Fort Mercer from the Del Lobo gang. It was tricky trying not to get hit, and I tried sniping many of them from a distance. Had I gone all out I may well have been killed easily, and in fact I almost did without health remedies. First time I got to the last guy only to get slaughtered by a mini-gun, so I took a different entrance and cut them off. Gang hideouts are tricky as a one man army, so my advice is use cover and plan your attack. Got Fort Mercer on my second try but I needed patience more than anything. Lots of ammo is helpful too even, since I lost all from my sniper rifle. 

Jason

I had no issues with it. Took out a few from outside the camp then moved into it from the sides making sure I didn't get flanked then entered the barn. 

Oldsport

gang missions are easy to me , i only died once doing them and that was with the o driscoll farm lol that gatling gun ripped me apart, had i known it was there id wouldve tooken it out first

JC_HUMBLE

Which is the bonus gang hideout from special edition?

éX-Driver

My tactic is to sit right on the range of my Springfield and just snipe them one by one. You’ll still get potshotted a few times by revolvers, but you won’t die.

Dr.Rosenthal
4 hours ago, Shinola Gamer said:

Which is the bonus gang hideout from special edition?

It's the Del Lobos Gang Hideout.

Shadowfennekin

It's not that hard, just use up all the health tonics you've picked up and take cover.

I remember camping the front gate of Mercer and gunning down the Lobos as they came around the corner. 😂

The O'Driscoll one is a bit tricky due to the lack of cover, you've just got to find a good cover spot that covers your entire body if you get discovered. And watch out for the gattling gun in the barn's second floor

Gray-Hand

Are you using dead eye?

dealing with big numbers gets a lot easier when you can instantly kill 3 people at a time.

That other mission you spoiler tagged is also a lot easier with dead eye too.

JC_HUMBLE
2 hours ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

It's the Del Lobos Gang Hideout.

Which location bro?

MagicNarcosis

Pump.

Action.

Shotgun.

Keep it clean, stay covered.

If you can get into an interior (don't force it) hold off and let them come to you.

Once you get the bars, you'll be able to knock em all down while riding your horse, man.

I'm getting as far as I can from them and snipe them one by one. If you are just in range with a scoped rifle, you are out of range for them. They won't ride out to come after you, but stay in camp. If they hide inside, they will come out and search for you around the camp, but not chase either. This works well for me so far. 

alexanderpenn21

I managed to take down the O'Driscoll camp north of strawberry. However, I thought something would happen once I'd killed them all (some kind of notification, or reward). But, all I could do was loot them all. Did I miss something? 

Bear in mind that I just started Chapter 3, haven't done any missions. 

Original Light

I completed it on my first attempt within 5 minutes.

Dead eye is the key. Bring plenty of chewing tobacco, and a decent repeater. Also make sure you bring health tonics, but with dead eye being used your health wont even deplete significantly. 

Also, make sure you take cover. 

Edited by Original Light

Sebor
5 hours ago, alexanderpenn21 said:

I managed to take down the O'Driscoll camp north of strawberry. However, I thought something would happen once I'd killed them all (some kind of notification, or reward). But, all I could do was loot them all. Did I miss something? 

I am not sure about this either. Did you loot the house? I just looted the house and got some nice stuff and money from it. I did this gang hideout twice now. 

One question here? Do they eventually respawn? It seems to be the case but some missions also destroy certain hideouts. 

GN 92
2 hours ago, Original Light said:

I completed it on my first attempt within 5 minutes.

Dead eye is the key. Bring plenty of chewing tobacco, and a decent repeater. Also make sure you bring health tonics, but with dead eye being used your health wont even deplete significantly. 

Also, make sure you take cover. 

That’s pretty much it.

Also don’t forget to bring the pump shotgun for close encounters. I’ve cleared the

limoyne gang hideout

in ~10 minutes. Cover, tonics and dead eye is the key.

DentureDynamite

I've only stumbled onto one gang hideout so far, but the only thing I found annoying about it was how the NPC behind the Maxim machine gun always knew exactly where I was.

Even if I drastically changed position completely behind cover (i.e. inside the two-story house, entered via a window I shot out), and could potentially appear in any of several locations, the fact that the Maxim was always pointed right at me really ruined immersion for me in what was otherwise quite a fun gunfight.

IMO, Rockstar would do well to change the scripting so that if an NPC loses visible sight of you, they should be constantly, slowly, checking the possible escape points from where they last saw you. You should, for instance, be able to snipe the guy from inside a building through a window, providing you're far enough back that he can't see you through the glare on the windows. RDR2 is detailed enough for that, IMO.

FWIW, unless I just don't understand the strength of a stick of dynamite in real life, it's a joke in-game. They're honestly more like oversized firecrackers/cherry bombs. ...that said, shooting a whole box of dynamite and making a wagon flip in the air (and killing the horse) was thankfully a bit more realistic--but it took maybe 20-30 sticks in that box to achieve that effect.

Edited by DentureDynamite

MagicNarcosis

I don't remember a single R* game that allowed you to flank - EVER. AI is always locked to your position. 

The only point of the trees seems to facilitate a way to escape away from enemies. They don't offer cover for flanking. 

DentureDynamite

^^ Intelligent AI is LONG overdue. But it still doesn't exist in a game that's otherwise as highly detailed as RDR2.

Ironically, RDR2's AI is still plenty dumb enough that they should allow flanking. e.g. I made enough noise to wake the dead jumping over a fence coming up behind one of the guards whose back was turned to me--but I still caught him by surprise. (I roll my eyes and take him out).

Line of visible sight and basic "enemy's last position" is all that's needed to make this work. Add a timeout before NPCs start searching nearby areas to the "last seen" position. It would do wonders for any game.

IIRC, even an ancient game like Crysis had better AI, which made it all the more impressive when you had cloaking engaged; I remember sweating bullets and doing my darnedest in that game to try and hide from the AI.

Edited by DentureDynamite

MagicNarcosis
3 minutes ago, DentureDynamite said:

^^ Intelligent AI is LONG overdue. But it still doesn't exist in a game that's otherwise as highly detailed as RDR2.

Ironically, RDR2's AI is still plenty dumb enough that they should allow flanking. e.g. I made enough noise to wake the dead jumping over a fence coming up behind one of the guards whose back was turned to me--but I still caught him by surprise. (I roll my eyes and take him out).

Line of visible sight and basic "enemy's last position" is all that's needed to make this work. Add a timeout before NPCs start searching nearby areas to the "last seen" position. It would do wonders for any game.

IIRC, even an ancient game like Crysis had better AI, which made it all the more impressive when you had cloaking engaged.

100% agreed.

I don't wanna complain or take away from this great game so early in it's release but it's definitely frustrating to still deal with poor AI.

Especial AI that is dumb enough to be at the mercy of your skill. 

¡MAYDAY!
16 hours ago, alexanderpenn21 said:

Cleared the same hideout today and I thought the exact same thing, like am I done? Figured there would be some kind of on screen prompt or something. 

Ghoffman9

The only one I done thus far was at Hanging Dog Ranch. Using my binoculars I noticed an enemy was manning a gatling gun on the second floor of the barn, so I flanked around and attacked the base from behind where the gun would not be a problem. I dug in and attacked the rushers with my shotgun and then took my time moving further in to take out the rest. Never even needed to use a single tonic, was real clean.

Edited by Ghoffman9

SAS_Intruder
10 hours ago, MagicNarcosis said:

I don't remember a single R* game that allowed you to flank - EVER. AI is always locked to your position. 

The only point of the trees seems to facilitate a way to escape away from enemies. They don't offer cover for flanking. 

It was long time ago but I remember FEAR being a good one when it comes to AI.

TheLordMarvel

Doesn't help when they can throw dynamite 😂 

Took out my first one today at Thieves Landing. It was pretty easy until dynamite flew past, damn near killed me because i assumed it was a bird or something. Lol

Oldsport
1 hour ago, TheLordMarvel said:

Doesn't help when they can throw dynamite 😂 

Took out my first one today at Thieves Landing. It was pretty easy until dynamite flew past, damn near killed me because i assumed it was a bird or something. Lol

LMAO i forgot the enemies can throw dynamite and stuff in this game, it only happened once in my first playthrough lol i seen them light it and everything, i was just like oh hell nah, the blast knocked me off my feet but i good thing i didnt die or id probably have broke my controller