3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

djb204

Safe Zones? Yes or No?

MostlyPonies

@djb204 This is the same as trying to make stores in GTA safezones, it didn't work, it just let people know you're gonna come out unarmed. Unless there's passive mode, safezones won't work with towns either.

djb204
8 hours ago, MostlyPonies said:

@djb204 This is the same as trying to make stores in GTA safezones, it didn't work, it just let people know you're gonna come out unarmed. Unless there's passive mode, safezones won't work with towns either.

Engaging NPCs in towns would still be optional, so nobody would ever be unarmed. It would only be PvP that is disabled in towns. Unlike stores in GTA that have one door to enter/exit, players can enter/exit town from any direction so nobody could really wait outside the town to engage a player who leaves the safe zone. The town perimeters are quite big too.

Edited by djb204

Gallows
3 hours ago, djb204 said:

Engaging NPCs in towns would still be optional, so nobody would ever be unarmed. It would only be PvP that is disabled in towns. Unlike stores in GTA that have one door to enter/exit, players can enter/exit town from any direction so nobody could really wait outside the town to engage a player who leaves the safe zone. The town perimeters are quite big too.

I don’t think towns should be safe, but I do think sherifs should be keeping the peace.

djb204

Maybe passive mode could be optional within the town perimeters? That way players can choose to either accept or deny the passive option when entering towns leaving the possibility for gunfights within towns open.

GlitzyTomb

I like all the explanations for why this would not work 

ALifeOfMisery

If mini games such as poker and blackjack make it into online, participants should be ghoasted or passive towards other players.

It would be incredibly frustrating to be enjoying a game of poker in a saloon only for another player to walk in and shoot everyone, NPCs included, sat at the table.

Hopefully proper PvE lobbies are a thing, but I think this should be the case even in PvP lobbies.

djb204
40 minutes ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

If mini games such as poker and blackjack make it into online, participants should be ghoasted or passive towards other players.

It would be incredibly frustrating to be enjoying a game of poker in a saloon only for another player to walk in and shoot everyone, NPCs included, sat at the table.

Hopefully proper PvE lobbies are a thing, but I think this should be the case even in PvP lobbies.

If its anything like RDR1, the actual minigames will exist in a session all it's own. once the minigame is done all players will be put back into the regular sessions. (just like GTA missions/races, etc)

Gallows

No safe spaces anywhere, but instead consequences for behaviour.

We have enough safe space psycho advocates in real life 😂

White Shark

I think as long as the game retains a powerful bounty system, it will put off most people just wildly shooting up a town.

The FoolYT

I think what should happen is that in towns, if you whip out your gun and aim it at someone, other NPCs with guns should whip out theirs and say stuff like "calm down boahhh" and aim their gun at you. If you end up firing, it would trigger the other NPCs to possibly fire back at you and NPCs without guns become witnesses as well. 

So if Player A is chilling in the town, and Player B comes along and starts firing, the NPCs maybe should fire back at Player B and support Player A.

They could go even further and have it so that if a player has good honour and they go around greeting folks, the NPCs are more likely to defend that player if they come under fire from another player in the town.

CaliMeatWagon

I thought about this as well, and I think the only way safe zones should exist is if you are participating in an activity, like playing dominoes. 

Gallows

I don’t think even games should be protected. You should however have an option to press a button to instantly exit the game. There should be an option for gaming back at your camp where you can play with friends in a more safe area.

Instead of safe zones there should be a hefty Bounty for attacking people in town if they did not draw their gun first. There should be guards in the saloon and on the streets.

Since bounties do not go away when you die, people can’t just wreck a town and take the death. They have to pay off that Bounty eventually. If they reach a High enough Bounty they will be attacked on sight in towns and elsewhere if spotted by the law. players should also be able to track them and claim the Bounty on their head.

No safe zones, but consequences for sh*t behaviour instead. That adds gameplay instead of restricting it. Sure we’ll be surprised at a table once in a while, but we also get to Hunt the bastards down later. More gameplay not less - risk and reward - freedom and consequences.

Edited by Gallows

RyuNova

CaliMeatWagon
8 hours ago, Gallows said:

I don’t think even games should be protected. You should however have an option to press a button to instantly exit the game. There should be an option for gaming back at your camp where you can play with friends in a more safe area.

Instead of safe zones there should be a hefty Bounty for attacking people in town if they did not draw their gun first. There should be guards in the saloon and on the streets.

Since bounties do not go away when you die, people can’t just wreck a town and take the death. They have to pay off that Bounty eventually. If they reach a High enough Bounty they will be attacked on sight in towns and elsewhere if spotted by the law. players should also be able to track them and claim the Bounty on their head.

No safe zones, but consequences for sh*t behaviour instead. That adds gameplay instead of restricting it. Sure we’ll be surprised at a table once in a while, but we also get to Hunt the bastards down later. More gameplay not less - risk and reward - freedom and consequences.

Putting guards everywhere would ruin the feel of most towns. Especially ones like Annesburg where it's pretty lawless. 

Gallows
3 hours ago, CaliMeatWagon said:

Putting guards everywhere would ruin the feel of most towns. Especially ones like Annesburg where it's pretty lawless. 

I don’t mean guards in that way. Just means a sherif could be drinking in the saloon or some of the customers willing to help out. Maybe it’s a bit random.  I agree, guards everywhere would be silly.

Lonely-Martin
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:49 PM, Gallows said:

Just hope they patch the gold bar glitch and stop further ones sharply then. Otherwise, like GTA:O, cheats will thrive.

Plus, you'll have to turn stalker to get a troll, they won't wait for you to get back at them, they hit and run. You'll have to become one too, lol.

Sounds just like GTA:O, uugh.

Gallows
1 minute ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Just hope they patch the gold bar glitch and stop further ones sharply then. Otherwise, like GTA:O, cheats will thrive.

Plus, you'll have to turn stalker to get a troll, they won't wait for you to get back at them, they hit and run. You'll have to become one too, lol.

Sounds just like GTA:O, uugh.

Running isn’t as quick and easy in this as GTAO, so not too worried.

Lonely-Martin
2 minutes ago, Gallows said:

Running isn’t as quick and easy in this as GTAO, so not too worried.

You missed the point. By running, they move sessions, lol.

Did you play GTA:O for a sustained period? I mean no offence, but you do seem to show to underestimate just how widespread it all is, sevensins is huge now, lol. Websites dedicated to this sh*t.

Edited by Lonely-Martin

Gallows
1 minute ago, Lonely-Martin said:

You missed the point. By running, they move sessions, lol.

Did you play GTA:O for a sustained period? I mean no offence, but you do seem to show to underestimate just how widespread it all is, sevensins is huge now, lol. Websites dedicated to this sh*t.

Oh - yeah I know, that’s lame. I hope they deal with session hopping somehow.

Lonely-Martin
7 minutes ago, Gallows said:

Oh - yeah I know, that’s lame. I hope they deal with session hopping somehow.

Incredibly. But I can't see that easing up as how could they stop us leaving/joining when in GTA the sessions dropped so constantly through a laundry list of crappy connections errors and such. It's this P2P, though my technical knowledge is very limited, feels so open.

I do like some of your ideas though (and the horse thread), so this has mixed feelings for me. I'd love a far more involved and deeper game I can really immerse in, but just so often in GTA that was broken by players and R* alike, I hope for more and if any of your ideas do come through, I just hope it's not to penny pinch too much is all. It's not that I don't want more emphasis on things, it's just GTA f*cked my head up to see it, ha-ha.

Post GTA stress disorder, lol. I feel there's more to consider than a gamers way, if that makes sense. If we had a playerbase and developer so keen on the depth over the frivolous nature or the cash generated, the game would be open to more change. $6bn GTA made over. It really is just staggering how much the game earned. Only way off the top of that mountain is down I think, this game doesn't immediately appeal like GTA has shown to.

That said, until we know I'm trying to remain positive they learned from GTA's mistakes as I also feel that game just caught R* out with how it became so successful long term. I think they planned to heists, and since then it was almost a beta game since. If so, I'd be delighted.

Mister Pinkerton

Yeah, I agree with Gallows. I want the danger element of walking through a town knowing something can kick off. So I don't want it to be a safe zone. I also don't want it to be a 24/7 grief zone either.  I think there should be real repercussions for going on rampages against other players in free-roam. I think making the stakes really high in that regard would be great. 

For example, if there's some way to incentivize people, not killing each other, it would be great. If the game rewarded co-op and pairing up to complete tasks but then punished you for indiscriminately killing anyone you see by adding high bounties, shutting down services in towns etc, that would be useful. 

So you come across a stranger in MP and you are both armed. You are being passive in nature and you just want to use the store to sell goods. Along comes Gunther the Griefer and takes out his pistol. What are the consequences here? The town should lock down their services and not serve Gunther the Griefer for being a naughty nitbag and wrecking someone's fun. Seems reasonable, right? But should the town shut down for you? I don't think so. If the game can register the offensive player (Gunther) and register the defensive player (you) then it could work. I would say it's super complex when you add multiple people in a room. 

If the aggressor starts shooting first an automatic bounty should be applied and it's up for grabs for anyone to take. How about the payout for that bounty is deducted from the balance of the agressor. That way people won't try game the system my winning bounties off their friends. Does that make sense?  

In essence, if you want to go kill other players, the bounty comes out of your own pocket. However, you don't get a bounty if you are defending yourself. In order for that to work, you can't buy stupid shark cards and just have loads of bank. 

It's so hard to work out. 

DentureDynamite

^^ The only "sure thing" is that (sooner or later) players are going to find a way to manipulate the system, and tweak game play mechanics to their advantage.

Happens with glitches; it's going to happen with game play.

What's surprised me so far about the mechanics or 3D nature of buildings is that (currently; knock on wood) there appears to be no way to glitch into buildings as was rife in GTA Online... or it's at least harder to glitch into geometry.

I'd like to think that Rockstar learned from GTA Online and were more careful about that aspect of things during RDR2's design-and-build phase.

Edited by DentureDynamite

joedelta

If it's anything like single player, people will be too broke to kill each other in towns.