4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

djb204

Fast Travel: Yes or No?

Fast Travel: Yes or No?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want fast travel options in Red Dead Online?

• Yes
    • No
    • Single Player fast travel options would be ok.

djb204

Personally I think fast travel should be disabled or cost money at the very least. Fast travel shouldn’t be possible from anywhere either. If fast travel is in the game, it MUST be only be possible at the train station/stagecoach locations.

In RDR1, we were automatically teleported to our posse leader upon posse invite. This was abused by players intentionally leaving a posse and rejoining the posse just to re-teleport to the posse leader’s location.

Note: Players with bounty’s would use this exploit to avoid bounty hunters who were closing in on them.

Players with a bounty shouldn’t be able to fast travel.

Red Dead Redemption 2’s world is huge and amazing. If I could have it my way there would be no fast travel at all. Traveling long distances and converting miles was part of the Wild West, and I open Rockstar recreates that in Red Dead Online.

Edited by djb204

Revoemag

Im not for fast travel, but i am for npc driven travel,  taking a stagecoach from one location to the other driven by an npc. 

ALifeOfMisery

No to fast travel. Real time NPC driven train and stagecoach would be good though.

Fun 2

No, I would prefer players to wander the map in order to reach their destinations.

Fast travel won't make bounty hunting fun, people are just gonna fast travel to nearest location and go after the bounty.

Edited by Fun 2

Shadowfennekin

Hell no.

Stage coaches and trains should be in the game still, just travel in REAL time.

ALifeOfMisery

As I said above, I don't want fast travel. But, thinking about it, I can't see R* missing out on the chance to make it a paid for camp upgrade.

djb204
8 hours ago, Fun 2 said:

No, I would prefer players to wander the map in order to reach their destinations.

Fast travel won't make bounty hunting fun, people are just gonna fast travel to nearest location and go after the bounty.

Exactly. What’s the point of purchasing provisions in town for the long journey if you could simply fast travel for half the price.

Shadowfennekin
11 hours ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

As I said above, I don't want fast travel. But, thinking about it, I can't see R* missing out on the chance to make it a paid for camp upgrade.

If they did, I imagine it'd just be for the major settlements and not places like MacFarlene's and the Indian Reservation where there isn't anything to do.

IamCourtney

I'd rather not see teleportation fast travel but I definitely want to see real time trains and stages so I can set myself on the way to a distant area while I go fix a sandwich or whatnot. I dunno how many times I've done this with the taxi in GTAO...

The FoolYT

No instant fast travel in multiplayer, no real use in it online and it would cause more problems than benefits.

Maybe stagecoach travel but as others said, in real time so you can just afk and it will slowly take you to your destination

DentureDynamite

I can just see Rockstar adding the old west version of "Off the Radar" or "Ghost Organization" by a pay-to-win "cover your tracks" perk.

Or, depending on how they handle player visibility, a "Reveal Nearby Players" perk.

With a map significantly larger than GTA Online, you'd better believe this is going to happen sooner or later.

Edited by DentureDynamite

HockeyMike24

Has it been confirmed if there are microtransactions yet?

Lonely-Martin

Nope!

No teleporting, no passive, no blips, no auto aim in free aim, no ghost, OTR, or EWO. Lose the lot, pick a session and indulge.

With a far better balance and optional lobbies to split the obvious PvE/PvP fallout. Even without playing I'd know it'd be an infinitely better game.

The cinematic auto ride and real time NPC driven trains, coaches, and wagons are all good though. But a full train ride looking out the window, no teleporting. Stupid idea!

(If heists come, fix that sh*t!).

53 minutes ago, HockeyMike24 said:

Don't know exactly. But GTA:O cleaned up making millions and millions, and their desire to push the freeloaders out and how they see card buyers as undermonitised has been noted in the GTA:O section. 

You best believe it's gonna rain down on here. They started already with the few bits in the special editions. (Though I am guilty of buying that myself - Had £34 off through Game store points though :)).

ALifeOfMisery
8 hours ago, HockeyMike24 said:

Strauss Zelnick said last year, I think in a Take 2 earnings call, but maybe elsewhere, that all future games under the T2 umbrella would feature "recurrent consumer engagement opportunities" of some sort. That it wouldn't always be a GTAO style real cash for in game cash model, but all of their games would feature ways for customers to keep spending post their initial purchase.

Given that R* seem to feel that paid DLC splits a games player base and kills the game, we can probably rule that out.

There could be various "packs", see the GTAO Criminal Enterprise Starter Pack. 

There could be loot boxes. I will refuse to play RDO on principle alone if this is the case.

But I think the real money for in game money will see a return in RDO, it's just too successful a model from GTAO. The so called whales are going to go nuts to have the best horses, best weapons etc. immediately, or as soon to immediately as possible.

White Shark

No, absolutely not. It would render horse riding almost useless. Fast travel would be massively abused by griefers as well. Having an NPC taxi coach service or using the train is good enough.

Commander S

I don't mind things like stagecoaches and trains being fast travel options, since you still have to get to them, and there's a limited number of stops (so it's not possible to just teleport around the map willy-nilly).

My main concern is being able to just ...ride them out in real time - particularly the trains. Need to stop using Assassin's Creed Syndicate as a point of comparison, but while you can't actually pay to ride the trains (you can lean against the window and sight-see in your own train, at least), you can still get in and ride around the map. Since RDR2 actually lets you buy a ticket, sit in the carriages, etc., it'd be really cool to be able to use them realistically, rather than just as a fast-travel system.

(...I mean, yeah, it's always possible to steal a train and drive your friends around in real time, but sometimes that's a bit too much like hard work! :p)

Somegras

No, but there should be advanced respawning options.

roggek

No fast travel in Online, just as everybody says, train or Stagecoach to fixed destinations, maybe you should also be "visible" to all other players as a yellow blip so they can rob/shoot you…
That option can be interesting as a "cooperative travel", for more protection in numbers...

Lonely-Martin
3 hours ago, Commander S said:

I don't mind things like stagecoaches and trains being fast travel options, since you still have to get to them, and there's a limited number of stops (so it's not possible to just teleport around the map willy-nilly).

That's true, I'm just a little cautious of how things are added in case of exploits but I don't mind the way it is in story so much as there is a couple of cutscenes and as you said, limited locations.

Just if that's where we're starting, much like vehicles or property/pricing/weapons. Just curious if things are more grounded and thought out longer term all round, and that it doesn't spiral into GTA territory with the next trumping the last until we get a flying bike or so.

That said, as I said elsewhere a moment ago. There is a market for all that crazy too. And all this speculating is awesome fun as unlike a Typical GTA DLC, I just haven't a clue really as to what could happen. So I'm going in positive. :)

Nutduster
22 hours ago, Commander S said:

My main concern is being able to just ...ride them out in real time - particularly the trains. Need to stop using Assassin's Creed Syndicate as a point of comparison, but while you can't actually pay to ride the trains (you can lean against the window and sight-see in your own train, at least), you can still get in and ride around the map. Since RDR2 actually lets you buy a ticket, sit in the carriages, etc., it'd be really cool to be able to use them realistically, rather than just as a fast-travel system.

FYI, you CAN ride the trains in real time without stealing them.  And you don't even have to pay for a ticket, unless you feel like it. Just board a stopped train, hold the button to sit if you like, and activate the cinematic camera if you like once the train starts moving.  You can also buy a ticket to anywhere and fast travel there, then just stay on the train as it continues on its route.  They don't seem to ever check tickets or kick you off, so you can ride indefinitely as long as you don't go robbing anyone. I'm currently riding one around as we speak, de-fogging some of outermost edges of the map.

There's even some cool guitar music that plays specifically once you go into cinematic mode on the train.  I don't know why they kept this feature fairly well-hidden, but it's there!

Edited by Nutduster

djb204

GTA Online didn’t have fast travel options, so so hope Red Dead Online DOESN’T have them either.

Fast travel would affect too much of the experience. 

ALifeOfMisery
1 hour ago, djb204 said:

GTA Online didn’t have fast travel options, so so hope Red Dead Online DOESN’T have them either.

It wasn't an official option, but heist teleporting is so widely used that it might as well be.

As I said further up though, I don't want there to be any fast travel in RDO. It actually taking time and effort to traverse the map should be part of the experience.

djb204
8 hours ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

It wasn't an official option, but heist teleporting is so widely used that it might as well be.

As I said further up though, I don't want there to be any fast travel in RDO. It actually taking time and effort to traverse the map should be part of the experience.

Exactly. Trying to find a way to get to the other side of a mountain, river, or canyon is part of the RDR2 experience. 

ALifeOfMisery
16 minutes ago, djb204 said:

Exactly. Trying to find a way to get to the other side of a mountain, river, or canyon is part of the RDR2 experience. 

It also goes a way to making griefing more difficult if we yet again get lumbered with a blips always on situation by R*. 

If there isn't a fast travel option players have to travel to a player, by horse, on a relatively large map, to be able to f*ck with them. Meaning we only have to consider players in our immediate and immediately surrounding vicinity when carrying out our various nefarious activities.

Not that f*cker in their camp half way up the Grizzlies when we're knocking off the saloon in Blackwater. 

Which is as it should be imo.

djb204
2 hours ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

It also goes a way to making griefing more difficult if we yet again get lumbered with a blips always on situation by R*. 

If there isn't a fast travel option players have to travel to a player, by horse, on a relatively large map, to be able to f*ck with them. Meaning we only have to consider players in our immediate and immediately surrounding vicinity when carrying out our various nefarious activities.

Not that f*cker in their camp half way up the Grizzlies when we're knocking off the saloon in Blackwater. 

Which is as it should be imo.

Good points. Also, another anti-griefing system that Rockstar has in Redemption1 was the option to fast travel when/If another player killed you a few times within a short period of time. <<<THIS is the only way I can see fast travel being accepted, if it’s to get away from a griefer. 

Edited by djb204

MusicMan05
18 hours ago, djb204 said:

Except GTA Online does have a limited fast travel option. As a CEO you can spend $5,000 to request a Luxury Helicopter. The Luxury Helicopter will let you fast travel back to your CEO Office or Warehouse(s).

I'd be surprised if Red Dead Online didn't use the Stagecoach and Train fast travel system currently in RDR2. It's just one more things players can spend money on. Depending on mission payouts, players might not want to constantly spend $10+ to fast travel from one side of the map to the other. Much like most players don't constantly spend $5,000 to fast travel back to their CEO Office in GTA Online.

djb204
1 hour ago, MusicMan05 said:

Except GTA Online does have a limited fast travel option. As a CEO you can spend $5,000 to request a Luxury Helicopter. The Luxury Helicopter will let you fast travel back to your CEO Office or Warehouse(s).

I'd be surprised if Red Dead Online didn't use the Stagecoach and Train fast travel system currently in RDR2. It's just one more things players can spend money on. Depending on mission payouts, players might not want to constantly spend $10+ to fast travel from one side of the map to the other. Much like most players don't constantly spend $5,000 to fast travel back to their CEO Office in GTA Online.

I do see Rockstar implementing numerous ways to encourage players to spend in game currency. As long as fast travel isn’t cheap or free to the point where everyone is constantly teleporting all over the map.