4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

TheSantader25

‌Arthur Morgan vs John Marston

Who is the better Protagonist?   

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Better "Red Dead Redemption" Protagonist?

• Arthur Morgan
    • John Marston
    • Screw them both. Red Harlow for the win!

RyuNova
14 minutes ago, Jimbatron said:

I think they are both great characters but Arthur would win it alone for the scene with the stable hand (who foolishly orders him to leave) in Fatherhood and other Dreams.

Arthur went full on sociopath there and I loved it.

Jimbatron
On 11/6/2018 at 6:01 AM, Rafae said:

Epilogue takes place in 1907 and the agents capture Marston's family in 1911 so four years. Wonder why they took that long if they already found John's ranch in 1907.

Forgive the OT digression: It’s not certain but here are what I think are plausible explanations.

Firstly, whilst a lot of the post American Venom cut scenes feel like they happen pretty soon they could be spaced out more - possibly some are meant to happen after you are given back free roam control. That’s a bit messy but obviously they wanted to link the two stories but still had to put you back in game well before 1911.

Second, and my thought would be, they found John quicker than the other gang members. But they can see he’s got his own Ranch and a mortgage. He might as well have errected a sign at Beechers Hope saying “I’m not going anywhere”. Presumably Bill and Javier took longer to track down, and why risk them finding out through the grapevine the Pinkertons were back on their trail by taking out Marston too soon. When the found the others they then realised they could probably leverage Marston to do their dirty work as he had a Ranch and a family - something to lose inside the capitalist system. It’s a translation that’s very much highlighted in the conversation with the Bank Manager in Blackwater.

Edited by Jimbatron

Equatecurl
On 2/12/2019 at 7:31 AM, RyuNova said:

Arthur went full on sociopath there and I loved it.

Bitch slapped him

a z
On 2/12/2019 at 4:50 AM, Jimbatron said:

Forgive the OT digression: It’s not certain but here are what I think are plausible explanations.

Firstly, whilst a lot of the post American Venom cut scenes feel like they happen pretty soon they could be spaced out more - possibly some are meant to happen after you are given back free roam control. That’s a bit messy but obviously they wanted to link the two stories but still had to put you back in game well before 1911.

Second, and my thought would be, they found John quicker than the other gang members. But they can see he’s got his own Ranch and a mortgage. He might as well have errected a sign at Beechers Hope saying “I’m not going anywhere”. Presumably Bill and Javier took longer to track down, and why risk them finding out through the grapevine the Pinkertons were back on their trail by taking out Marston too soon. When the found the others they then realised they could probably leverage Marston to do their dirty work as he had a Ranch and a family - something to lose inside the capitalist system. It’s a translation that’s very much highlighted in the conversation with the Bank Manager in Blackwater.

Also... John says he had a daughter who died.  If that takes place with Abigail then it would between the two game stories.  A second child that dies very young.

JavierC

+ If John is as legendary as people say, why there's no Chuck Norris jokes with him dad?

- Because John Marston is no joke, son.

Marston without doubt.

RyuNova
On 2/14/2019 at 10:41 AM, Equatecurl said:

Bitch slapped him

I love the "The f*ck you say?" look that goes right into the bitch slap and then the calm and rational explanation as to why he slapped him and what would happen if they continued. And invading the personal space and moving him away from the original spot are all classic but effective control moves.

Dan_1983

Like both but lean towards Arthur. Playing as John again though was good. Was nice to see how his life post gang - RDR 1 was.

RyuNova

John was my favourite R* character behind Tommy from Vice City but Arthur has dethroned them both.

Arthur reminds me very much of Tommy.

Hetraet

John Marston.

Stannard96

I feel John is a more nuanced character than Arthur. At times Arthur can be a bit of a kiss ass do gooder, whereas John is always fighting with himself. But to be honest I'm picking hairs; I love them both. I just think John shades it because of his mysterious quality, and because of the weight he carries over two games rather than just one (nostalgia). Together they're my two favourite characters probably of all time.

Honourable mention to Jack who I always felt was hard done by by the community. I loved watching his story elapse over two games. And I loved the sadness of his story in the end; he was so gentle and light-hearted as a child, but in the end he was just like his father; angry and miserable!

Side note; in terms of DLC, I'm not interested in Charles Smith. He had his merits but ultimately I found him to be quite a one dimensional stereotype, all together too serious. Give me Javier in Mexico, Sadie wherever, or more John or Arthur. :)