Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
      4. Frontier Pursuits
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA IV Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA SA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA VC Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA III Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

TheSantader25

‌Arthur Morgan vs John Marston

Who is the better Protagonist?   

162 members have voted

  1. 1. Who is the Better "Red Dead Redemption" Protagonist?

    • Arthur Morgan
      131
    • John Marston
      27
    • Screw them both. Red Harlow for the win!
      4


Recommended Posts

BlondieandTuco
2 minutes ago, Rafae said:

Epilogue takes place in 1907 and the agents capture Marston's family in 1911 so four years. Wonder why they took that long if they already found John's ranch in 1907.

Tracking down Bill, Javier, and Dutch took a bit. Ross probably didn't even care that much for John till he killed Micah who was Ross's informant. Dutch was believed to have died in a fire a few years after Arthur died so Ross was a little more lenient on the gang till Dutch reappeared and started killing people and robbing again, leading to Ross using John who already proved capable after tracking and killing Micah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JC_HUMBLE

It intrigues me to know where John came from that ferry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SmileyBandito

I thought about that too. Kinda funny looking back. 

 

Maybe he ran an errand near Saint Denis across the Flat Iron Lake, before the feds picked him up and sent him on his way back. But wasn’t his family already captured by that point? What was he doing there? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThaddeusMagee

To me, Arthur wins the cool factor, but John wins the overall character development factor. Arthur is badass...I love his voice, his look, his general personality. But I think he's a little bit thinner as a character. We heard all about John's motivations -- his wife and son and the ranch at beechers hope - and we learned so much more about him through RDR2. Arthur is still a little thin on backstory and general characterizations, but I absolutely love him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty

Not really sure why I never posted in this thread.

 

Anyway I liked John and still do in fact, but Arthur's definitely better rounded. Maybe it's a little unfair in that regard because Red Dead Redemption 2 is basically twice the length of Red Dead Redemption and as such there's more room to flesh him out, but even ignoring that I just felt more captivated by Arthur's journey and transformation more than John's. 

 

Red Dead Redemption 2 done an amazing job though of adding extra layers to John's character that the first game wasn't able to quite do, but Arthur just blows me away honestly. He's just so incredibly well portrayed by Roger Clark he's definitely one of my all time favourite protagonists. Not just within the R* stable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mirror Park Resident
On 11/6/2018 at 7:01 AM, Rafae said:

Epilogue takes place in 1907 and the agents capture Marston's family in 1911 so four years. Wonder why they took that long if they already found John's ranch in 1907.

They found him just to know who'd be the guy to be blackmailed if needed. When Dutch&the others brought trouble again, then it was time to track them and put poor John to work, otherwise he'd be charged for a lot of murders in case he refuses.

 

Pretty much what @BlondieandTuco said.

 

Have Dutch&Bill dying sometime between 1907-11 instead of forming new gangs around, and John's life would've been longer and better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedDadRedemption

I went back to playing as arthur yesterday for a couple hours and I didn't really enjoy it  everything about him  felt like a cowboy stereotype and could hear the actors fake accent slip a couple times during diolouge,  I just wanted to go back to being john he feels more unique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJX74

I was waiting for this thread.

 

I think John was the better protagonist when you take both games into account.

 

But i liked Arthur more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreeMaxB585
On 11/4/2018 at 6:29 PM, winter.ak said:

sadie adler > arthur & john

 

but arthur though, he’s more funnier and his story is more easier to understand than john

 

wtf....hell no

 

anyway i picked arthur. he is just a much deeper guy then john. and I love john but arthur had many more lairs to him

Edited by FreeMaxB585

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kemasus

I tried playing as John. Built the house....set up Abigail etc. I have to admit I dont like John so my vote goes to Arthur

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guest176525326

The only reason why Arthur Morgan is considered to have more layers to him is because of the outstanding writing and character development by Rockstar, John Marston is still a legend and always will be(even though he can't swim). The way John Marston goes down in the end is legendary, the way Arthur Morgan dies is just pure garbage to be honest(both good & bad honour) .

 

What makes John even cooler and more badass is his scars.

 

It's a really tough choice, I think Arthur Morgan is one of the coolest characters ever created, he has without a doubt the best voice acting of all time IMO, however...

 

There can only be one and his name is John Marston

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedDadRedemption
10 minutes ago, O.Z said:

The only reason why Arthur Morgan is considered to have more layers to him is because of the outstanding writing and character development by Rockstar, John Marston is still a legend and always will be(even though he can't swim). The way John Marston goes down in the end is legendary, the way Arthur Morgan dies is just pure garbage to be honest(both good & bad honour) .

 

What makes John even cooler and more badass is his scars.

 

It's a really tough choice, I think Arthur Morgan is one of the coolest characters ever created, he has without a doubt the best voice acting of all time IMO, however...

 

There can only be one and his name is John Marston

 

John is like the super mario and pikachu of the red dead franchise 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~INDIO~
On 11/6/2018 at 7:00 PM, ThaddeusMagee said:

To me, Arthur wins the cool factor, but John wins the overall character development factor. Arthur is badass...I love his voice, his look, his general personality. But I think he's a little bit thinner as a character. We heard all about John's motivations -- his wife and son and the ranch at beechers hope - and we learned so much more about him through RDR2. Arthur is still a little thin on backstory and general characterizations, but I absolutely love him.

Yeah I'd like to know more about Arthur when he was in his late 20's/early 30's. 

Honestly wouldn't mind if RDR3 was a prequel set further West, with Arthur and the gang in their good days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grotti Vigilante

Arthur Morgan is an easy win for me. His character development and such embodies the typical redemption that is pretty much in the title. John is still good, but Arthur just has this charm to him somehow. Probably just cause I find him more relateable and such. Not to mention his lines and jokes are just funny. Some examples...

 

”Five thousand dollars. For me? Can I turn myself in?”

”Oh, I didn’t know I was talking to a LADY”

”No one would have me”. 

 

John Marston is great, but I really can’t enjoy the game as much anymore without Arthur. I just want to play him with everything I have in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Corndawg93

Arthor for the sole fact that he can swim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty
On 1/18/2019 at 9:01 AM, O.Z said:

What makes John even cooler and more badass is his scars.

I have to admit though playing Red Dead Redemption I always wondered how he got the scars. I pictured that he must've been involved in a knife fight during a bar brawl or something, but finding out it was because of some wolves and Arthur actually saving his arse somehow makes it less cool lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guest176525326
20 minutes ago, American Venom said:

I have to admit though playing Red Dead Redemption I always wondered how he got the scars. I pictured that he must've been involved in a knife fight during a bar brawl or something, but finding out it was because of some wolves and Arthur actually saving his arse somehow makes it less cool lol.

I disagree completely, I think it’s just the opposite, anyone can have knife scars on their face, but not many people have scars from getting attacked by wild wolves!! That’s way more dangerous imo. 

Edited by Guest176525326

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty
10 minutes ago, O.Z said:

I disagree completely, I think it’s just the opposite, anyone can have knife scars on their face, but not many people have scars from getting attacked by wild wolves!! That’s way more dangerous imo. 

Yeah, but even John himself is embarrassed he got attacked by wolves.

 

I don't know, but I kinda wish they just left the scars' origins a mystery and up for interpretation. Whenever I look at Red Dead Redemption John now and how he got the scars is completely washed away that that now I know he got jumped by some wolves and not in a heroic way either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mac-

The choice was an easy one for me, Arthur all day long. Too be honest I didn't really like John in RDR I, but i love westerns, and I suppose that's why I played the hell out off RDR I. Seeing how much of a twat John is in RDR II I like him even less now, in fact I antagonize him at every given opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan Ranch Dressing

The trailers were very misleading. I'm so glad Arthur wasn't what I was expecting him to be and turned out to be something much better.

 

Everything about his character, the story is so masterfully crafted that by the end, you've truly bonded with his character and grown to appreciate and understand who he is. It's the perfect Redemption story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Shakermaker

RDR John. 

Not RDR2 John. Can't work out why Im not a fan of John in 2. He doesn't look as bad ass, probably because he is younger. In fact he isn't much of a bad ass. Many times he dissapoints me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BoulderFaceplant
On 11/6/2018 at 12:06 AM, BlondieandTuco said:

Tracking down Bill, Javier, and Dutch took a bit. Ross probably didn't even care that much for John till he killed Micah who was Ross's informant. Dutch was believed to have died in a fire a few years after Arthur died so Ross was a little more lenient on the gang till Dutch reappeared and started killing people and robbing again, leading to Ross using John who already proved capable after tracking and killing Micah.

Pretty sure Micah wasn’t an informant for anyone by this point. Read the newspapers, he was a flat-out terrorist who would’ve been shot without question. There’s a reason he was holed up in the remotest corner of the map. 

 

Ross chose Marston to do his dirty work, not because he was pissed that he killed Micah, but because he was amazed that he was able to. John killed at least 30 men getting to Micah, and did something none of his agents could do throughout Micah’s 8-year reign of terror. 

 

John had to die like the rest of them due to Ross’ morals about comeuppance. 

Edited by BoulderFaceplant
Too many ideas in one post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark Rosewood Varnish

Arthur - overall I just had a more immersive experience playing as him. I also preferred the rugged outdoorsman gang member vibe that I got off him than the stereotypical gun slinger from out west vibe which John kinda had in RDR1.  

 

Dont get me wrong though RDR1 John Marston is still an all time favourite protagonist of mine but Arthur is in a category of his own IMO. 

Edited by Dark Rosewood Varnish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BoulderFaceplant
11 minutes ago, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

Arthur - overall I just had a more immersive experience playing as him. I also preferred the rugged outdoorsman gang member vibe that I got off him than the stereotypical gun slinger from out west vibe which John kinda had in RDR1.  

 

Dont get me wrong though RDR1 John Marston is still an all time favourite protagonist of mine but Arthur is in a category of his own IMO. 

Really? To me, Arthur always seemed like more of a cowboy, from his default outfit to his deep, drawly voice.

 

John is the one with the more earthy tones in his default outfit, along with a prominent feather on his cap. There’s also a lot of animal outfits you can’t make with anyone but John. When John inevitably gets a beard in the RDR2 epilogue, it’s hard for me not to picture him as a mountain man who spends most of his time in colder regions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
burger_mike
On 1/21/2019 at 4:08 AM, American Venom said:

I have to admit though playing Red Dead Redemption I always wondered how he got the scars. I pictured that he must've been involved in a knife fight during a bar brawl or something, but finding out it was because of some wolves and Arthur actually saving his arse somehow makes it less cool lol.

I remember playing RDR when he mentions his scars to jack and thought they should do a prequel on how he got those scars

 

lo and behold

 

they always looked like animal scars to me

10 hours ago, BoulderFaceplant said:

Pretty sure Micah wasn’t an informant for anyone by this point. Read the newspapers, he was a flat-out terrorist who would’ve been shot without question. There’s a reason he was holed up in the remotest corner of the map. 

 

Ross chose Marston to do his dirty work, not because he was pissed that he killed Micah, but because he was amazed that he was able to. John killed at least 30 men getting to Micah, and did something none of his agents could do throughout Micah’s 8-year reign of terror. 

 

John had to die like the rest of them due to Ross’ morals about comeuppance. 

I just wanna know how they knew it was john and not dutch or anyone else

Edited by Equatecurl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyuNova
On 11/6/2018 at 6:01 AM, Rafae said:

Epilogue takes place in 1907 and the agents capture Marston's family in 1911 so four years. Wonder why they took that long if they already found John's ranch in 1907.

 

Paperwork.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
InfernoV

Arthur Morgan. Arthur for me is easily Rockstar's best ever protagonist and one of the greatest video game characters of all time.

 

It's funny though because no one was expecting him to be this good, there was very little focus on Arthur in the trailers and alot of focus on the world and the gang as a whole so I wasn't expecting much but Rockstar delivered an all time great in Arthur Morgan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShayD

After playing both games I dont see how anyone could say John is the better character. His story just didnt feel exciting enough, especially since we know hes not driven by anything other than blackmail. Some similarities are there in the way Arthur and John get caught up following orders from someone with a sense of power over them, but in two different circumstances e.g. loyalty Vs blackmail.

 

I even found that although we have complete control over Arthur, hearing his thoughts and how he talked to others about what he had done or how he felt throughout the story influenced my play style. It almost seemed like this in game character had his own personal thoughts and genuinely reflected on his actions, which is something I never felt with John in RDR1. 

 

Arthur also felt like a more intelligent character from the beginning, I think the journal adds to this with his sketches of different locations, animals and plants which shows an interest in nature along with how he records his plans/outcomes of his plans. 

 

Johns story felt very direct, with one goal at the end; save his family. Arthurs goal changed with the gangs needs, but there was always the theme of money and escape be it out west or to Tahiti.

 

TLDR: Morgan is basically just a deeper, better written character. Marston had his moments but cant compare to Arthur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyuNova

@ShayD

 

Arthur, by those days standards, was an intelligent man. He spoke clearly and eloquently, understood how to look at the world and was genuinely good at drawing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimbatron

I think they are both great characters but Arthur would win it alone for the scene with the stable hand (who foolishly orders him to leave) in Fatherhood and other Dreams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.