4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Sootyjared

Are there cars in the game?

Sootyjared

So this is something I have been wondering since I entered Saint Denis, is there cars in the game? 

I know, the automobile would be very rare at the time but considering how big the game is I can see rockstar putting one in game.

Is there an automobile in game? 

Mach1bud

No, but I bet they are eventually added to Red Dead Online.

White Shark

No, and let's hope they're not added.

Sootyjared
16 minutes ago, Mach1bud said:

No, but I bet they are eventually added to Red Dead Online.

Can’t wait to be killed by a chrome and lime green steamcar with a built in dynamite launcher. :/

Mach1bud
3 hours ago, White Shark said:

No, and let's hope they're not added.

Why? Cars would be awesome. Imo it's one of the very few things this game lacks. There should be a couple steam powered cars to putt putt around in.

AmyStone

They might add them but I hope they don't. It would ruin the atmosphere of the game.

Oldsport

i hope they add them

Rithrius

Why would you want cars in this game? For those thrilling 2 miles/hour car chases?

Mach1bud

I really think St Denis needs a couple of these rolling around.

autos2319.jpg

4 minutes ago, Rithrius said:

Why would you want cars in this game? For those thrilling 2 miles/hour car chases?

Because they are cool.

Any car of that era is slower than the slowest horse and has far worse tracking/handling too. I sincerely hope R* doesn't cave in and leaves cars out, unless each DLC takes time forwards 10 years. 

Mach1bud
2 minutes ago, McGhee said:

Any car of that era is slower than the slowest horse and has far worse tracking/handling too. I sincerely hope R* doesn't cave in and leaves cars out, unless each DLC takes time forwards 10 years. 

Wouldn't get spooked and buck me off when it sees a cougar though now would it? 

BatLB

It would ABSOLUTELY be fitting for a City like Saint Deniz to have the first german cars of the time.

1 minute ago, Mach1bud said:

Wouldn't get spooked and buck me off when it sees a cougar though now would it? 

No, but if you have to run for it, you'd be indeed better of running and not driving one of these 😁

Edited by Guest

Mach1bud
Just now, BatLB said:

It would ABSOLUTELY be fitting for a City like Saint Deniz to have the first german cars of the time.

Unlikely to see any German cars. There were plenty of American cars already built and driving around in the states.

1 minute ago, McGhee said:

No, but if you have to run for it, you'd be indeed better of running and not driving one of these 😁

At least we would die in style. 😎

volta2001

I remember before gta5 came out there were all these rumors of horses being in it. That was all I cared about. No f*ckn way there will be a car in red dead. Separate  brands. But r* might put it in just to troll people like me and f*ck them if they do 

BatLB
2 minutes ago, Mach1bud said:

Unlikely to see any German cars. There were plenty of American cars already built and driving around in the states.

There are barely any americans in Saint Deniz though. They have swiss watches, french paintings, belgium statues - I don't think some fancy high society mercedes would be unfitting.

Sure, Ford started to build cars in 1896 - So there even could be some american cars too.

Why do you guys think it would be a TROLL to add cars? There where cars in that era, its actually unusual we don't see any, not even in high society. Just because they would implement cars doesn't mean you get a frking Dodge Viper. It's a coach without horses.

Edited by BatLB

Mach1bud
Just now, BatLB said:

There are barely any americans in Saint Deniz though. They have swiss watches, french paintings, belgium statues - I don't think some fancy high society mercedes would be unfitting.

Sure, Ford started to build cars in 1896 - So there even could be some american cars too.

There were American cars all through the 1800s, there were just no mass produced cars yet. They were all one off, single creations. I mean yes the Benz had a few cars built by this time, but Louisiana is still the United States regardless of how many immigrants lived there. Seems like they would drive American cars.

Not that it matters, if they add them they will be made up brands just like GTA does, so it's kinda whatever. All I know is they would be cool to have.

8 minutes ago, Mach1bud said:

Well, I wouldn't say plenty. The game plays in 1899 and the dominating car company at that time was Oldsmobile followed by Thomas B. Jeffery in 1901, who built a massproduction line, pumping out 1500 cars in a year, which beheld 1/6 of all existing motorcars in the US at that time. I don't expect many of those in the old west areas. More so on the eastcoast NA.

Mach1bud
1 minute ago, McGhee said:

Well, I wouldn't say plenty. The game plays in 1899 and the dominating car company at that time was Oldsmobile followed by Thomas B. Jeffery in 1901, who built a massproduction line, pumping out 1500 cars in a year, which beheld 1/6 of all existing motorcars in the US at that time. I don't expect many of those in the old west areas. More so on the eastcoast NA.

I was talking pre-mass production. By plenty I meant, plenty for Rockstar to choose from if they were to make the decision to add some. I am well aware that Oldsmobile was the first car manufacturer in the states.

Check out this website, one I found during conversation about this subject before the game released.

http://www.earlyamericanautomobiles.com/1890b.htm

BatLB
6 minutes ago, Mach1bud said:

There were American cars all through the 1800s, there were just no mass produced cars yet. They were all one off, single creations. I mean yes the Benz had a few cars built by this time, but Louisiana is still the United States regardless of how many immigrants lived there. Seems like they would drive American cars.

Not that it matters, if they add them they will be made up brands just like GTA does, so it's kinda whatever. All I know is they would be cool to have.

from what I wrote, Wisconsin had its first car race in 1878 already, so I assume having Cars as a rich person isnt so unrealistic.

Mach1bud
Just now, BatLB said:

from what I wrote, Wisconsin had its first car race in 1878 already, so I assume having Cars as a rich person isnt so unrealistic.

Yes I agree.

5 minutes ago, BatLB said:

It isn't actually unrealistic, but every Joe and his neighbour will own one in RD:O and cities be filled with them. That would be unrealistic.

BatLB

Why? They could be exclusive to the rich areas and folks. Rare sight on the streets and only on big streets in very civilized areas. Not like Rockstar doesn't already do that.

Mach1bud
5 minutes ago, BatLB said:

Why? They could be exclusive to the rich areas and folks. Rare sight on the streets and only on big streets in very civilized areas. Not like Rockstar doesn't already do that.

You don't understand. He is talking about Red Dead Online. If players are able to buy these cars, everyone will own one. Making them not a rare sight at all.

Crocodile Hunter
48 minutes ago, McGhee said:

Steam cars can actually go pretty fast, they can easily be driven on todays highways. I personally dont want them ingame though.

BatLB
12 minutes ago, Mach1bud said:

You don't understand. He is talking about Red Dead Online. If players are able to buy these cars, everyone will own one. Making them not a rare sight at all.

Ah, I hope they come as DLC Content for the Main Game. I don't care about Online, the Aiming is so horrible on Console, I fail every mission at least twice because of the AWFUL aiming with an analoge stick - So I def. wont suffer through that Online :D

2 minutes ago, Crocodile Hunter said:

Steam cars can actually go pretty fast, they can easily be driven on todays highways. I personally dont want them ingame though.

Maybe they could, but cars would certainly not be mass owned, and we all know what happens when R* has a car in game and all the Me-Now's start claiming cars too. I'm on the 'no cars in this game, please' side too.

White Shark
5 hours ago, Mach1bud said:

Why? Cars would be awesome. Imo it's one of the very few things this game lacks. There should be a couple steam powered cars to putt putt around in.

Because the game should retain the theme of horses and wagons. People wanting cars should just stick with GTA. 

IF they do decide to add cars, they should be astronomical in price (for the era), travel at walking speed, frequently break down forcing you to walk to town for parts, and require fuel which does run out over time, requiring you to buy more and refuel at towns that stock the stuff.

Slonitram

Considering how slow cars were back then, it'd be an absolute waste of time and money to own one. If they're ever added to RDO, I assume owning one would be more of a luxurious thing rather than anything else.

Piro
56 minutes ago, White Shark said:

Because the game should retain the theme of horses and wagons. People wanting cars should just stick with GTA. 

IF they do decide to add cars, they should be astronomical in price (for the era), travel at walking speed, frequently break down forcing you to walk to town for parts, and require fuel which does run out over time, requiring you to buy more and refuel at towns that stock the stuff.

[ flashforward couple months/years later ]

Login to RDRO to get 50% off flying Deluxo (that you can purchase from your friendly time traveler)*
*fuel is astronomically expensive and can be purchased only with micro transactions  

edit:
Will they add cars? at some point, probably. But first I would like to see some other vehicles. Maybe bicycles or balloons.

Edited by Piro