4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

TheSantader25

The Red Dead Redemption 2 "Constructive Criticism" Thread

Judicious 7
18 minutes ago, Raavi said:

As you see all over this forum and beyond, many, many people enjoy the level of immersion this game offers, and don't see it as a negative. That's fine though, different strokes for different folks. 

I could argue the opposite in places where people don’t enjoy it but I see differently about this whole matter

xjodielaura

Was told I could rob a store. I’m like okay that’s basically what this game is about so I might as well. 

Instantly get a $30 bounty. Can’t escape the place without either getting shot to sh*t or shooting the law which takes my bounty to over $100 so what’s the f*cking point of robbing it in the first place??? 

Lock n' Stock

The original RDR was slow as well to be honest. If you're finding it boring, that's more or less your problem.

Edited by Lock n' Stock

White Shark

The game is a slow burn, which burns hotter and brighter as the game goes on.  Even whilst the game was getting started and I was doing simple chores, I knew what an awesome game this is.  

GroveStGTAV

Just watch any cowboy film and play rdr2 again

Mafia Assassin®

I don't have the game yet, so nothing to complain about, and that's my B&M, I bought the game 2 weeks before release and the delivery service f*cked up and God knows when I'll get the game.

My other complaint it's the App. Not only it's tricky to find on the Play Store, because it neither shows up when searching and when you go to Rockstar's page on Play store, but looks like the App it's not compatible with my phone. Great!

TheSantader25

I loved horizon but I gotta say the graphics are better on this and I'm playing on a base PS4 and can't figure out how they pulled this off. Seems like a game from next gen. 

This game is not for everyone. I figured R* would do something like this. They made enough money with GTA O to the point that it seems they don't care anymore. They just wanted to make what they wanted and they did it. If something is broken in the game then yes you can safely call it a flaw. But when sh*t works properly and you don't like it, that's when you realize this game just wasn't for you. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Jabalous

For me, It happens that the most memorable and enjoyable experiences in the medium are games that are slow, grounded and deliberate in providing a player-driven cinematic experience. Red Dead Redemption, Mafia 1/2, The Last Of Us, Metal Gear, and now Red Dead Redemption 2. I enjoy all of these games over GTA, which is more fast-paced and chaotic by design, and also a reason why I consider IV a better urban-life simulator than V. It's a matter of taste and subjective experience. There's no a universal opinion, or consensus, here. 

Edited by Jabalous

xjodielaura

Another tiny annoying thing is when you ride past an NPC and your horse slows down and it says “press x to jump on horse” or whatever. 

Why. Why would I steal a horse while I’m on my own??? And even if I DID want to, I can slow down by myself. I don’t need you to do it for me. 

Spider-Vice

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jason

In honour of my post in part 1 of this thread:

F*ck the controls, f*ck the shooting, f*ck the slow pacing, f*ck the survival features, f*ck the optional camp chores, f*ck the bounty system, f*ck the oversold interaction system, f*ck horses dying, f*ck the inevitable lack of SP DLC, f*ck the buffalo cards and f*ck Rockstar.

I just about covered it all I think.

jje1000

Main Critique:

There needs to be more player-initiated free-roam activities with gang and family members as the game can get kind of barren once you're done with their story missions, which ends up making all these great characters feel like NPCs and not like individuals. I want to take Lenny and John with Arthur to rob trains, take Kieran and Bill to clear out some O'Driscolls,

take Abigail out for more dates, Jack out on hunting and fishing trips, maybe even Uncle to herd some sheep.

There was a gamespot article (https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/red-dead-redemption-2s-new-features-gun-durability/2900-2267/38/) that talked about a feature like this, but it didn't appear in the release version of the game.

• Same with things like bounties, which should have an endless amount of generated goons to capture, rather than the ten or so.
  • Bank safes should be robbable
  • Trains need better payouts (maybe with a safe)
  • Collision with NPCs needs to be tweaked for aggression so it doesn't end in gunfights as often as it does.
  • The wanted system needs to be tweaked to be a bit looser so that you can get away easier, and there needs to be a self-defense flag so that you don't get penalized for defending yourself. Melee combat shouldn't escalate to gunfights unless you fire first. Knockouts should kill fewer people.
  • The system should be tweaked to take into account bounties for turning in street criminals

Overall, it sometimes feels like some of the events are too scripted rather than organic, whereas the trailers kind of made it feel like a lot of the thing shown would have been initiated by player agency.

Minor Critiques:

• The ranch should act more like a camp with upgrades and needs so that there's at least one money sink in the end game.
  • You end up with too much useless money at the end of the main game, which is a fault of all GTA games usually. I think there should have been some extremely expensive endgame items to compensate for this.
  • Sunsets and sunrises need to be slower.
  • When looking at catalogues or taking pictures, time should be paused. Card and poker games need to have time slowed down.
  • Horse inventory should have been a grid system like the satchel with the option to favorite some items for quick-selection, rather than the wheel they have now.
  • There should be a 'gun cabinet' object where old guns can be stored to clean up your inventory.
  • Some of the QTE should have been cut out or made into actual gameplay (i.e. building a house, taking a bath), and some of the QTEs should have been a single tap of a button, rather than a hold.
  • The game should throw fewer enemies at you, since it always feels a bit unrealistic to be mowing down the population of small towns in each mission.
  • All hats should be stowable.
  • Many of the missions seem to be overly linear and always end in gunfights.
  • Optional missions should appear in the mission selection menu so you have a chance to pick up missed achievements.
  • A certain moment in Chapter 6 needs to be tweaked so Rain Falls doesn't interrupt Arthur to pick herbs.
  • Heads always seem to disappear into red mist with a shotgun.
  • Not too worried about guns, they will inevitably show up as mods for the PC version if Rockstar doesn't add any more.
  • No Liar's Dice.

Overall, a 9/10 for the incredible world-building and characterization, but I guess the shinier it is, the more apparent the little flaws are- which keep it from being the 10/10 Cowboy simulator of the century.

Not really expecting Rockstar to do any post-release single-player improvement, but still, it speaks that the game is good enough that I'm being unusually harsh because I want the game to be even better.

Edited by jje1000

bish0p2004
3 hours ago, jje1000 said:

Main Critique:

There needs to be more player-initiated free-roam activities with gang and family members as the game can get kind of barren once you're done with their story missions, which ends up making all these great characters feel like NPCs and not like individuals. I want to take Lenny and John with Arthur to rob trains, take Kieran and Bill to clear out some O'Driscolls,

Hide contents

take Abigail out for more dates, Jack out on hunting and fishing trips, maybe even Uncle to herd some sheep.

There was a gamespot article (https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/red-dead-redemption-2s-new-features-gun-durability/2900-2267/38/) that talked about a feature like this, but it didn't appear in the release version of the game. Same with things like bounties, which should have an endless amount of generated goons to capture, rather than the ten or so. Overall, it sometimes feels like some of the events are too scripted rather than organic, whereas the trailers kind of made it feel like a lot of the thing shown would have been initiated by player agency.

Minor Critiques:

• The ranch should act more like a camp with upgrades and needs so that there's at least one money sink in the end game.
  • You end up with too much useless money at the end of the main game, which is a fault of all GTA games usually. I think there should have been some extremely expensive endgame items to compensate for this.
  • Sunsets and sunrises need to be slower.
  • When looking at catalogues, time should be paused. Card and poker games need to have time slowed down.
  • Horse inventory should have been a grid system like the satchel with the option to favorite some items for quick-selection, rather than the wheel they have now.
  • The wanted system needs to be tweaked to be a bit looser so that you can get away easier, and there needs to be a self-defense flag so that you don't get penalized for defending yourself. Melee combat shouldn't escalate to gunfights unless you fire first. Knockouts should kill fewer people.
  • Collision with NPCs needs to be tweaked for aggression so it doesn't end in gunfights as often as it does.
  • Some of the QTE should have been cut out or made into actual gameplay (i.e. building a house, taking a bath), and some of the QTEs should have been a single tap of a button, rather than a hold.
  • The game should throw fewer enemies at you, since it always feels a bit unrealistic to be mowing down the population of small towns in each mission.
  • All hats should be stowable.
  • Many of the missions seem to be overly linear and always end in gunfights.
  • Optional missions should appear in the mission selection menu so you have a chance to pick up missed achievements.
  • A certain moment in Chapter 6 needs to be tweaked so Rain Falls doesn't interrupt Arthur to pick herbs.
  • Heads always seem to disappear into red mist with a shotgun.
  • Not too worried about guns, they will inevitably show up as mods for the PC version if Rockstar doesn't add any more.
  • No Liar's Dice.

Overall, a 9/10 for the incredible world-building and characterization, but I guess the shinier it is, the more apparent the little flaws are- which keep it from being the 10/10 Cowboy simulator of the century.

Not really expecting Rockstar to do any post-release single-player improvement, but still, it speaks that the game is good enough that I'm being unusually harsh because I want the game to be even better.

Damn, I agree with just about everything you said except the mission stuff ...but the post game stuff, followers, and tweaks to the wanted system were things I thought were a given.

Also, I see what everyone is saying about the wanted system now.  If you antagonize someone enough in town and they pull out a gun and start shooting, the lawmen will start shooting at you as well, even if you're unarmed.  It's pretty typical of Rockstars inconsistent programming of npcs and very frustrating.  They have made improvements, but then messed it up in other areas.   Hell, you could even setup npcs in GTA V by getting them mad and letting the cops take them out.

Edited by bish0p2004

jje1000
9 minutes ago, bish0p2004 said:

Damn, I agree with just about everything you said except the mission stuff ...but the post game stuff, followers, and tweaks to the wanted system were things I thought were a given.

Also, I see what everyone is saying about the wanted system now.  If you antagonize someone enough in town and they pull out a gun and start shooting, even the lawmen will start shooting at you, even if you're unarmed.  It's pretty typical of Rockstars inconsistent programming of npcs.

I know that a lot of this stuff can probably be fixed via mods for the later PC release, but I really wish Rockstar can fix them as soon as possible- I really don't want the illusion to end once I finish all the missions and have nothing else to do.

Pump Action Shotty

My only critiques are gunplay on horseback feeling quite clunky, the ridiculously short sun sets, the abrupt evening to night time transition and no fast travel option when setting up a camp in the wilderness.

I also noticed if you get ambushed by a gang while on your travels you're unable to fast gallop away, it only allows you to trot slowly -

Spoiler

this is particularly annoying during the epilogue when you encounter the Skinners as they pretty much ambush you every single time you ride through Tall Trees, but its never just 3 or 4 of them there will be 9/10 of them at a time

Oh and I hate how the game auto saves every time you die, I finally got some perfect wolf pelt for a piece of clothing I wanted crafting but got killed by a cougar afterwards and lost it. I figured I would just load to the last save because I done a stranger mission after attaining it which also auto saves upon completing the mission, but was mortified to find out the game will auto save when you respawn...this really wound me up I cant tell you how long I've tried hunting for that perfect pelt for.  

Lastly whenever you bump into another NPC who is riding a horse they will always start shooting at you, if you defend yourself and shoot back at them you'll get a wanted level which is bullsh*t seeing as they attacked you first.    

Edited by Pump Action Shotty

Gallows
On 10/28/2018 at 9:22 PM, xjodielaura said:

Was told I could rob a store. I’m like okay that’s basically what this game is about so I might as well. 

Instantly get a $30 bounty. Can’t escape the place without either getting shot to sh*t or shooting the law which takes my bounty to over $100 so what’s the f*cking point of robbing it in the first place??? 

To be honest with you... you are doing it wrong. Put more planning into it. I rob stores, people, steal horses and all kinds of stuff, but very rarely get a Bounty. 

19 minutes ago, bish0p2004 said:

Also, I see what everyone is saying about the wanted system now.  If you antagonize someone enough in town and they pull out a gun and start shooting, the lawmen will start shooting at you as well, even if you're unarmed.  It's pretty typical of Rockstars inconsistent programming of npcs and very frustrating.  They have made improvements, but then messed it up in other areas.   Hell, you could even setup npcs in GTA V by getting them mad and letting the cops take them out.

Either something weird happened in your game or you are just making stuff up. Every single time someone shoots at me and I don’t shoot back, the lawmen will engage the one shooting at me, if I don’t fire back. If someone punches me first I can knock them out right in front of lawmen and they will greet me politely when I am done.

xjodielaura
21 minutes ago, Gallows said:

To be honest with you... you are doing it wrong. Put more planning into it. I rob stores, people, steal horses and all kinds of stuff, but very rarely get a Bounty. 

What do you want me to plan? I wore a bandana, I wore a different outfit. I went to the guy in the docs office and told him to take me to the back, I robbed them, instantly got wanted and already had about 4 or 5 enemies waiting outside. 

There was one door so my options were get shot, or shoot. 

Pump Action Shotty
On 10/28/2018 at 1:50 AM, Lock n' Stock said:

I understand that people still have a bitter taste about R* from GTA V, even I'm the same in that regard. However, some of the complaints here feel like straw-grasping at best. A map that feels completely dead? You're joking, right? What else could you possibly expect to see to make it feel more "alive"?

It's laughable. You can literally just discover an isolated cabin and find someone who's not marked on the map as a strange/question mark and a cut scene will follow, then you have a mission to play,  makes me wonder what game some pf these people are playing. 

Gallows
1 minute ago, xjodielaura said:

What do you want me to plan? I wore a bandana, I wore a different outfit. I went to the guy in the docs office and told him to take me to the back, I robbed them, instantly got wanted and already had about 4 or 5 enemies waiting outside. 

There was one door so my options were get shot, or shoot. 

Well the store is right next to the sherif, so to rob it without getting into trouble you need to make the lawmen go elsewhere. Dumped a dead body in the other end of town.

Sometimes the sherif also moves around but at other times during the day he’s lingering right outside. I also scared a lady away from outside the store before going in - she would have seen me through the window.

volta2001

The amount of quicktime events in the campaign is a bit overdone 

Pump Action Shotty
On 10/28/2018 at 10:46 AM, roe said:

Yeah complaining about it not seeming alive is a mad one, imo.  If anything, the game world feels a bit too alive at times with so much wildlife around at the same time.

Interesting you say this because there are times when I'm riding along really remote trails in the mountains, yet I'll encounter numerous NPC riders galloping in the opposite direction...literally one after the other....not even that big of a deal but it kinda takes away from the remote feeling.   

xjodielaura

See this is what I’m saying when the bounty system is annoying. 

Riding through town, not galloping, just walking at a slightly fast pace

See an oncoming cart, realise we’re gonna collide so I stop my horse and try and back up a little to let him past 

my horse gets spooked I guess and hobbles off sideways and BUMPS a guy, barely touches him. WANTED. 

It gave me like 0.1 seconds to defuse before I’m getting shot at. 

Dont know how to post vids here from my phone so I guess I’ll link to where I shared on twitter if it will let me

Link here

Pump Action Shotty

I think the whole boring thing just comes down to preference. I personally love slower paced games...L.A. Noire is legit one of my favourite games ever. But ofc different people play games for diff reasons, some people just want constant action. It's funny because those people are gonna absolutely hate a certain part of the game...

Spoiler

I loved just walking around on that first ranch with John doing all those chores with the mountains in the backdrop, like I said a lot of people are gonna hate it but I find it quite therapeutic and relaxing. You're able to really take in the games atmosphere if you go at a slower pace. Even after the epilogue just doing chores on the ranch early in the morning then sitting around the campfire at night with Abigail singing and Jack playing the harmonica - you just gotta be open minded about it to appreciate it. 

But on the flip side theres an entire chapter in RDR2 thats non stop action and gun fights. I think theres a healthy balance between the slow stuff and fast paced action.    

SAS_Intruder

Firearms selection is terrible.  Nothing to look forward to and they gave us only basic firearms of the era. Rockstar does so many things extremely well but they suck at firearms, from selection to balance and operation. 

bish0p2004
2 hours ago, Gallows said:

Either something weird happened in your game or you are just making stuff up. Every single time someone shoots at me and I don’t shoot back, the lawmen will engage the one shooting at me, if I don’t fire back. If someone punches me first I can knock them out right in front of lawmen and they will greet me politely when I am done.

It was my first time experiencing that.  But I thought about it afterward, and I had a 10.00 bounty in St Denis at the time...tried to replicate it in Valentine where I had no bounty, but couldnt get anyone to shoot at me. 

I experience no bounty during fist fights if I dont hit first...Either way, Im not trying to make anything up...just experimenting, fool.

Edited by bish0p2004

jje1000
1 hour ago, xjodielaura said:

See an oncoming cart, realise we’re gonna collide so I stop my horse and try and back up a little to let him past 

my horse gets spooked I guess and hobbles off sideways and BUMPS a guy, barely touches him. WANTED. 

Dont know how to post vids here from my phone so I guess I’ll link to where I shared on twitter if it will let me

Link here

You ought to @ RockstarGames and let them know about this. Kind of sucks that it's so hard to get around Saint Denis.

Doublepulse

My only complaint is that the game didn’t launch with the Rockstar Editor Lol. I’m sure it might arrive later because the cinematic camera kind of sucks.. I only use it when I need to go AFK.

xjodielaura
1 minute ago, Doublepulse said:

My only complaint is that the game didn’t launch with the Rockstar Editor Lol. I’m sure it might arrive later because the cinematic camera kind of sucks.. I only use it when I need to go AFK.

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that the rockstar editor will be coming. 

3 hours ago, xjodielaura said:

Link here

Nothing wrong in your video.

-Why you didn't stop before ?

-Horses react when close to each other.

-You lost control of your horse it happen

-You bumped into a guy and a lawmen was there

-Why would you run away?

You could have talked your way out and leave without any problem.

VercettiGuy

The bounty/witness thing is really just not good. Most of the times I can't even calm down or stop a witness because it's greyed out? And they're running so fast by the time I caught them it's already too late.

Also I've come to that point where all I do is explore and my horse is pissing me off more than anything else with it's anxiety attacks about animals that are a million miles away.

Gun cleaning is really annoying too. I can't even keep track with it. Cleaned one gun, 5 minutes later another one won't work properly.