3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

TheSantader25

The Red Dead Redemption 2 "Constructive Criticism" Thread

WildBrick142

I'd hate to be bitching already, but I am very disappointed that a game of this size and detail does.... this.

Spoiler

He shouldn't have been able to get up and attack me like nothing happened. This was also a problem in V (except that peds would just end up dying no matter what), shame Rockstar has never done anything about it.

Flannelmagic1

Game is unreal in many aspects, especially graphics and immersion. The controls though feel extremely heavy, and it's quite annoying that you can't run when in camp. The story and the characters also feel pretty lackluster for me so far, this game has really failed to catch my interest in both the story and the gang's characters, Arthur feels very meh so far as well.  

At times this game is absolutely amazing, the entire chapter 1 was outstanding, it was mindblowing, chapter 2 has been very dull for me so far though and I have to say RDR 1 was just more fun and had much better characters. I'm still early in the game though, things can hopefully change. It does seem like rockstar has fallen into the trap every new AAA game does these days, prioritizing the cinematic feeling over actualy fun gameplay. 

Edited by Flannelmagic1

OurJud
23 minutes ago, WildBrick142 said:

I'd hate to be bitching already, but I am very disappointed that a game of this size and detail does.... this.

Hide contents

He shouldn't have been able to get up and attack me like nothing happened. This was also a problem in V (except that peds would just end up dying no matter what), shame Rockstar has never done anything about it.

What, the, and indeed, feck! That's ridiculous.

2 hours ago, FreeSmoke said:

3rd person. I'm yet to play in first person and doubt I ever will because I'm not really a fan of it.

Oh, well that's okay (at least for me) as I'm the opposite to you. I'm only interested in first-person games.

Turan
1 hour ago, Xerukal said:

...D-did you leave the poor guy on the tracks? I think that solves the mystery of his disappearance. 😱

lol nope. He was beside the tracks. 

chipsanddips

Not sure if a legit moan but the scope of it is daunting albeit in a good way but feel a little overwhelmed

Intial niggle but past it now was getting used to depth of control system as have to lose concentration on whats happening to read comtext interaction buttons but got used to it after first couple hours

A common gripe seems to be slower handling of arthur to a gta v character but i strangely find the handling heavier in a meaty good way, so thats a plus for me 

saintsrow
2 hours ago, WildBrick142 said:

Hide contents

Indeed. Sh*t, that guy must have been some boss-level mofo. 

In that little 24 second gameplay leak, the last guy shot got up fast like this, and I knew there was going to be problems like this in the gmaeplay.  Injured NPCs (and injured protags) should be slow and lame.  

But props for shooting the witness.  At least *he* went down fast.  👍

Edited by saintsrow

Slappy212

I can't get over the inconvenience of all the 'realism' mechanics. Most devs skip these annoying things for a reason...Rockstar thinks they're reinventing the wheel for including them? 

volta2001

Where are the brothels? I talked to a hooker who propositioned me and my only available options were decline or refuse. Wtf r*

GenericGTAO

Download the companion app....lol, your phone's too old.

A rando guy is calling for help in complete wilderness...shoot that turd, a witness is approaching...wtf

The menus are a bit difficult to learn.  in a pinch, I am getting slaughtered... probably will get used to them.

The game has crashed my xbox 4 times today.

The buttonmapping is pretty darned f*ck if you're used to GTA:O too much. Muscle memory makes me shoot some f*cker when I mount my horse and wanna ride off several times, getting me wanted and a bounty, when I am in a town. 

And the first duel I get in, I get a second to read how I have to handle it, and before I reach the end of the text wall, I'm already shot dead...... 

"slowly press [R2] to fill..... BANG!... dead...., me...

Edited by Guest
Typo

lh1

Is it just me or this game is just way TOO RPG ! I mean really, hold a button to get something ? Open up another menu to use some items ? Why not the traditional just walk over and get the items ?

There are just way too many RPGs this gen. I am actually getting tired of this 

Edited by lh1

saintsrow
7 minutes ago, lh1 said:

Is it just me or this game is just way TOO RPG ! I mean really, hold a button to get something ? Open up another menu to use some items ? Why not the traditional just walk over and get the items ?

There are just way too many RPGs this gen. I am actually getting tired of this 

Yeah, I can see this is a whole different thing, kind of like Fallout.  

Now, I know I complain about the kids who just wanna blow sh*t up in GTA Online, but I'm a casual gamer, too.  I can see that collecting all this stuff, and using it, and dispersing / disbursing it properly, and crafting, is gonna take a toll on my patience and attention span.  😛

saintsrow

Mexico.

VolkXue

Just picked this game up to play for the night! Got home and i realized i got the X Box Enhanced version but i don't have an X Box One X... So close... 

5 minutes ago, VolkXue said:

Just picked this game up to play for the night! Got home and i realized i got the X Box Enhanced version but i don't have an X Box One X... So close... 

This would be a real bitch when you have a PS4....

TheSantader25
6 hours ago, thatstupidbug said:

highs and lows in my first few hours... but then something strange happened (i'll keep it spoiler free, don't worry)

in a mission in chapter 1, during the trip back to the camp, i ran across a danger. I think it is a scripted event, since my NPC companion did aknoweledge the danger and asked me to get out of that situation quietly.

But because this is an open world and i like to explore, i tried to face the danger... and i died a stupid death.

One checkpoint reload later, i was ready to face the danger once again... but i discovered that i restarted on a "safer" path, and i was basically on a long, straigh, danger-free road toward the camp. My NPC friend even asked if i (arthur) was daydreaming, as if the danger was "erased" when i reloaded.

Did i do something wrong, or the game "babysitted me" away from the danger?  Has this happened to someone else (even in later missions)?

Are you talking about the "Charles" Mission? If you do, I get what you mean. 

volta2001

I’ve been playing in studio headphones a lot. Some of the strangers sound like their dialogue was recorded in a tin can. Doesn’t sound right at all. 

Not really a B&M about the game, but more of my experience and wishes...., I really miss my Combat MG mkII..... 😂

And a few sticky bombs would be nice to have too.....

Edited by Guest

Corndawg93

Id like to bitch about how my damn pre order didn't arrive on time and now I have to wait til monday

Shadowfennekin

I don't like how the bandanna isn't a cock blocker for bad honor anymore.

There's like no way to get good honor in this game. It took me an hour to almost get out of white then within 20 minutes I'm back to bordering white and red!

volta2001

Anyone been able to find a menu with the classic rockstar stats? Miles walked, hours played etc. I can’t find it. 

sleepwalk1980
3 hours ago, saintsrow said:

Yeah, I can see this is a whole different thing, kind of like Fallout.  

Now, I know I complain about the kids who just wanna blow sh*t up in GTA Online, but I'm a casual gamer, too.  I can see that collecting all this stuff, and using it, and dispersing / disbursing it properly, and crafting, is gonna take a toll on my patience and attention span.  😛

BitchList

1.It's like they spent so long creating an ultra realistic world, but almost forgot to create the actual gameplay of the game. I played all day yesterday and the shine is wearing off fast.

2. It suffers the same problem GTAV did. A huge beautifully rendered world, but ultimately sterile, empty and boring. Vast swathes of nothingness...

3. Fighting controls make me feel like I'm playing streets of rage again. Punch punch punch block punch, press button press button press button. It's monotonous and lacks any skill on the players part.

4. Picking up items is LOOONG. And clunky. Holding Y to pick things up 1 at a time is ridiculous.

5. Looking down at the bottom right corner of the screen every. damn. time. to see what you're looking at/interacting with is horrendous!! Why for the love of gaming did they not implement the popup text thing over what you will interact with like literally every other game of this type?!

6. The NPC interaction thing is f*cking laughable. WHy the hell do I want to say hello to every f*cking NPC. If I want to harrass them then Ill point a gun at them.

7. R* seriously oversold/mis-sold this game in the trailers.

Edited by sleepwalk1980

TheSantader25

Currently the game seems to go towards the GTA IV treatment. It's not for everyone. 

O.Z
9 hours ago, thatstupidbug said:

highs and lows in my first few hours... but then something strange happened (i'll keep it spoiler free, don't worry)

in a mission in chapter 1, during the trip back to the camp, i ran across a danger. I think it is a scripted event, since my NPC companion did aknoweledge the danger and asked me to get out of that situation quietly.

But because this is an open world and i like to explore, i tried to face the danger... and i died a stupid death.

One checkpoint reload later, i was ready to face the danger once again... but i discovered that i restarted on a "safer" path, and i was basically on a long, straigh, danger-free road toward the camp. My NPC friend even asked if i (arthur) was daydreaming, as if the danger was "erased" when i reloaded.

Did i do something wrong, or the game "babysitted me" away from the danger?  Has this happened to someone else (even in later missions)?

The same thing happened to me as well, I didn’t want to take the safer route either, so I prepared the 2nd time, but to my surprise it wasn’t there no more.... :(

Whats up with the - you got to hold a button for a few good seconds before you can restart the mission?! It’s annoying the hell out of me...

saintsrow
47 minutes ago, sleepwalk1980 said:

BitchList

1.It's like they spent so long creating an ultra realistic world, but almost forgot to create the actual gameplay of the game. I played all day yesterday and the shine is wearing off fast.

2. It suffers the same problem GTAV did. A huge beautifully rendered world, but ultimately sterile, empty and boring. Vast swathes of nothingness...

3. Fighting controls make me feel like I'm playing streets of rage again. Punch punch punch block punch, press button press button press button. It's monotonous and lacks any skill on the players part.

4. Picking up items is LOOONG. And clunky. Holding Y to pick things up 1 at a time is ridiculous.

5. Looking down at the bottom right corner of the screen every. damn. time. to see what you're looking at/interacting with is horrendous!! Why for the love of gaming did they not implement the popup text thing over what you will interact with like literally every other game of this type?!

6. The NPC interaction thing is f*cking laughable. WHy the hell do I want to say hello to every f*cking NPC. If I want to harrass them then Ill point a gun at them.

7. R* seriously oversold/mis-sold this game in the trailers.

You make several good points.  

Number one is melee combat.  The pre-release hype seemed to indicate that RDR2 was going to have some kind of sophisticated, versatile combat system.  Maybe it does, but my style has always been frantic random button-mashing, and that style seems to suit RDR2.  I'm too impatient to look for sophisticated melee techniques and combos, even if they are actually present.  

The other thing, which you responded to, is that RDR2 strangely reminds me of past "gamelike" games that I have never finished, because they have complicated inventory systems, and they seem to punctuate and interrupt the fluid open world flow, with artificial game-like menu interactions.  I suppose that's unavoidable in complex games, but it feels like a bit of a regression to older generation games, here.  

Collibosher

Been playing couple of hours, but I still get confused about the loot and food and from what menu I should/can/how to use them? There's stuff  on the weapon wheel, on some kind of food menu and on the horse.

"Eat this and it slightly restores your health" (slightly=pretty much not at all) Fallout 4 had a much simpler interaction menus.

Shooting feels sluggish and feels like the auto aim is making it even more difficult, but I'm pretty sure that's a matter of practice and just getting used to.

Definitely not an "arcade" type of game, so it's interesting to see how the online mode is going to turn out.

Scharkey

So I got this bear pelt right, and I thought well I should take it to camp for everyone else. I drop the meat off, and I wanted to take the pelt and store it somewhere in camp. I set it down, it says it will be saved in a convenient location for me to return to later. I go and start a mission, and as the mission starts it says my pelt was abandoned. What the hell?? I nearly died getting this pelt, and could only imagine how much money it was worth. What gives?

Not only that, I go to reload the last save marker and it saved AFTER I started the next mission, that I didn't even get 30 seconds into.

Edited by Scharkey

Big Molio
23 minutes ago, Collibosher said:

Definitely not an "arcade" type of game....

I agree. It seems to have lost the arcade type "feel" from RDR for a more RPG feel.

DangerZ0neX

Man, if this had come out to PC, I would've installed mods that remove the button holding and the need to use arrow types and pelt/hide quality.

Seriously, what the f*ck were they thinking?

Pepperjack
5 hours ago, VolkXue said:

What? They are the same version, there is not two versions, it just has the option if you have an x