2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
wfank

Is there any GTA VC mission you feel guilty about?

wfank

Don't get me wrong, I love all the violence and stuffs in the game and am not a stupid sjw or anything. Been playing GTA VC since 2004, for 14 eyars , longer than I played any agems (though obvi I take long gaps, as long as 6 months or whatever). I enjoy nothing more than killing the blasted Haitian "dickheads" and everything (Trojan Voodoo si by far my most fav mission and post mission Haitian hit on me and me killing them its one of the best thing I enjoy about the game). I brought this up because it is the biggest controversy with the game (and the reason they replaced Haitians with Cholos in VCS). But this has nothing to do with my main topic.

If I enjoy that what could I possibly not like about my personal most fav game ever? When I started playing the game i was an edgy school boy addicted to violence, now I am a working man and know how difficult it is to earn a living, how valuable your livelihood is be it business, job or anything. The mission Shakedown you attack the North Point Mall vandalizing the stores in 5 minutes time frame. The shopkeepers plead you not to, their crys "ruined!", "my livelihood destroyed" and so on really affect me. And Tommy just laughs and says "I run this town now". Though as part of game the shops just auto repairs and things goes on (except the cafe which is permanently destroyed after Cop Land , the one with the katana sword), in real life if something like this happened to workers, they would fall in to the unemployed statistics, their families would starve and simply all of them who depended on the worker's livelihood would die in poverty. insurance isnt something easy to process lots of legal difficulties and stuffs.... I know this is just is just a game and pretty much everything if that happened irl it wold be a blow , maybe I just feel this way about this particular mission (Shakedown) because of my recent struggle as part of the working class and now I finally made it I know the terrible consequences losing my livelihood will have not only on me but my family which I am responsible for, so yeah this is the only mission of a fantasy game that has 0 effect on irl that I do with some sort of guilt. Maybe I am sort of a labor's right activist (not into unions btw, but am in support). To each their own and I still and will forever love this game, and if I could get two mission removed its this one and Demolition Man (which involves destroying a construction site killing some hard working construction workers and getting others into poverty, also the mission itself is tedious and stupid with the rc plane). Other than this two missions Shakedown and Demolition Man I am perfectly fine with GTA VC and at the end of the day I know this is no more than just a game and we all play to enjoy....

Evil empire

I don't feel guilty about any mission and don't see any reason to do. It's all about fictional characters in a fictional city with a fictional story anyway.

MysteryDriverX

Nah, the plot was pretty good, for a videogame at least, and the tone of the game (not too serious, but not pure comedy) made me feel okay with all the killing going on in it. Tommy is a good main character. I guess the only "guilty" missions for me would be the rampages or the ones for the Haitians and Cubans since you have to work for both gangs and kill members of the other gang respectively, as the game requires it. And the one where you have to kill that lady that drives a Porsche, since the game doesn't tell you anything about her or about why you have to kill her, if I recall correctly.

I'm not saying the random background characters from the game deserve anything that happens to them (or that they would if they were real people) but I always felt like the GTA games sort of soften the real emotional consequences by making it look like everyone in the game's universe is mean and/or stupid.

I think I sort of get what you mean though. I wonder if I would still enjoy this game if I felt some connection to something happening to me in real life, like if someone in my family were murdered by some street criminal or died in a car accident.

Edited by MysteryDriverX

Utopianthumbs

The mission Messing with the Man is, well, messed up. You basically massacre innocent civilians cause a biker thought you weren't badass enough for them and to prove your worth you create as much chaos as possible within 2 minutes. It's true I go on rampages a lot in free roam and ngl the mission is kinda fun but from a story perspective massacring all those innocent civilians like that is horrible.

I don't exactly feel guilty cause it's just a game after all and I love VC, but if CJ burying a foreman alive for no reason was bad, this was a lot worse. I think it ranks second only to Toni bombing an entre district in LCS

MysteryDriverX

heh I agree about that mission. Not sure if it's possible to complete it without killing civilians though, just by blowing up cars instead (if the civilians leave the cars and run away)

Utopianthumbs

Yeah when I play that mission instead of directly attacking civilians, I sometimes start off by destroying the nearby bikes to get a wanted level and try to restrict my carnage to the police(though even that is bad) but it's really hard to fill up the meter as police sometimes don't spawn quickly enough,so I end up slaughtering civilians anyway :(

Hmmm nice bike

I really don't feel bad for the shopkeepers in Shakedown. They sound like Woody Allen, so just imagine that a guy who sexually assaults his own adopted kids is running the stores.

gts.
On 11/10/2018 at 10:00 PM, Utopianthumbs said:

The mission Messing with the Man is, well, messed up. You basically massacre innocent civilians cause a biker thought you weren't badass enough for them and to prove your worth you create as much chaos as possible within 2 minutes. It's true I go on rampages a lot in free roam and ngl the mission is kinda fun but from a story perspective massacring all those innocent civilians like that is horrible.

I don't exactly feel guilty cause it's just a game after all and I love VC, but if CJ burying a foreman alive for no reason was bad, this was a lot worse. I think it ranks second only to Toni bombing an entre district in LCS

Haha, totally agree with this.

Lock n' Stock

'Waste the Wife' and "Messing with the Man' are a couple (since they essentially encourage you to off innocent people), and probably also the ones where you're drugged into working against the Cubans.

angeldust
On 11/11/2018 at 9:30 PM, Hmmm nice bike said:

I really don't feel bad for the shopkeepers in Shakedown. They sound like Woody Allen, so just imagine that a guy who sexually assaults his own adopted kids is running the stores.

I always thought one of them sounded like Mort Goldman from Family Guy.

Miamivicecity
On 11/11/2018 at 4:00 PM, Utopianthumbs said:

The biggest difference to me is during Messing With The Man Tommy doesn't discriminate and at the very least the people he kills die a pretty quick and painless death. CJ burying a foreman in concrete is the single most disgusting act committed by a protagonist in the series given his reasons are so poor.. 

As for the question the only mission that made me feel guilty was Wasting The Wife, but atleast it was relegated to a side mission.

GTAgamerWyald
1 hour ago, Miamivicecity said:

The biggest difference to me is during Messing With The Man Tommy doesn't discriminate and at the very least the people he kills die a pretty quick and painless death. CJ burying a foreman in concrete is the single most disgusting act committed by a protagonist in the series given his reasons are so poor.. 

As for the question the only mission that made me feel guilty was Wasting The Wife, but atleast it was relegated to a side mission.

People definitely feel pain but the thing is people are getting killed, doesn't matter how they die. Even if doing a sh*tty act because you're sister was called a whore is poor, it is still better than killing innocent civilians going on about their lives just to prove you're a badass (which Tommy already is). I also remember CJ saying he wanted their construction land, considering CJ is trying to expand, it makes sense though it never really comes up again, but its there.

Edited by GTAgamerWyald

Miamivicecity
2 hours ago, GTAgamerWyald said:

People definitely feel pain but the thing is people are getting killed, doesn't matter how they die. Even if doing a sh*tty act because you're sister was called a whore is poor, it is still better than killing innocent civilians going on about their lives just to prove you're a badass (which Tommy already is). I also remember CJ saying he wanted their construction land, considering CJ is trying to expand, it makes sense though it never really comes up again, but its there.

Come on. At the very least it's just a spruce up of what most people do in free roam. I could understand if Mitch asked Tommy to go to a school to kill children just....... because, but even R* would know that would be crossing the line. None of the peds in the 3D era feel as human as their HD era counterparts so I really don't see why this mission is such a problem. 

Also regardless if CJ wanted land it still isn't a normal situation where he just kills someone with a gun and calls it a day. Being buried alive is a horrifying thought no one should ever have to experience and the fact he would do this to anyone is completely out of character yet it's seen somehow as more acceptable. WTF? 

GTAgamerWyald
7 hours ago, Miamivicecity said:

Come on. At the very least it's just a spruce up of what most people do in free roam. I could understand if Mitch asked Tommy to go to a school to kill children just....... because, but even R* would know that would be crossing the line. None of the peds in the 3D era feel as human as their HD era counterparts so I really don't see why this mission is such a problem. 

Also regardless if CJ wanted land it still isn't a normal situation where he just kills someone with a gun and calls it a day. Being buried alive is a horrifying thought no one should ever have to experience and the fact he would do this to anyone is completely out of character yet it's seen somehow as more acceptable. WTF? 

On the topics question, I agree on what you said about the 3d era games not making you care unlike the HD ones.

I think both acts are equally unacceptable, this is taking the life of someone regardless of how different the action of killing is though CJ doing that to the foreman is worse for sure. I just simply think that CJ has a better sh*tty reason for going after these construction guys than Tommy has in the beginning, though the end act ends up being worse and I dislike it more as well. However, I'm by no means defending any of these actions.

Edited by GTAgamerWyald

Miamivicecity
31 minutes ago, GTAgamerWyald said:

On the topics question, I agree on what you said about the 3d era games not making you care unlike the HD ones.

I think both acts are equally unacceptable, this is taking the life of someone regardless of how different the action of killing is though CJ doing that to the foreman is worse for sure. I just simply think that CJ has a better sh*tty reason for going after these construction guys than Tommy has in the beginning, though the end act ends up being worse and I dislike it more as well. However, I'm by no means defending any of these actions.

Fair enough, but all Tommy does is do what we as GTA players do in free roam anyway. His motives/reasons are cold obviously, but the mission doesn't try puling any strings like Deconstruction does. Actually I appreciate it has the balls to make killing civilians the goal. 

The former act ironically ends up being worse because it tries to justify itself with a half baked reason. 

TheSantader25

The above discussions once again proves that GTA can never be compared to other games like RDR in terms of actually sympathizing with the characters and also why Honour level never makes sense in a GTA. it's just a far different series than the rest of the games with a pretty f*cked up logic that can't be made sense of outside of it's world. But it's fun anyways and I'm sure not many people want it changed. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Copcaller

Betraying the Cubans to work with Haitians

Messing with the man 

Wasting the wife

wfank
On 12/2/2018 at 5:40 PM, Miamivicecity said:

Fair enough, but all Tommy does is do what we as GTA players do in free roam anyway. His motives/reasons are cold obviously, but the mission doesn't try puling any strings like Deconstruction does. Actually I appreciate it has the balls to make killing civilians the goal. 

The former act ironically ends up being worse because it tries to justify itself with a half baked reason. 

Regarding the whole series, worst for me is in GTA LCS, the mission where the creepy cannibal Donald Love makes Tony kill Avery his former mentor (Panlantic Land Grab), I relay liked Avery in Vice City, perhaps my favorite boss , (its he who gave Tommy to buy his assets during the post shakedown mission phone call) but had to kill one of my favorite character in the series LCS , in reality I never liked Donald yet I had to endure him in three games 3, VC and LCS  . The next mission (Morgue Party Resurrection) after you kill Avery in LCS you have to steal his body so Donald would eat it 😢 .

Copcaller

I absolutely hated killing Avery he was my favorite boss in vc

Evil empire
On 12/8/2018 at 7:18 AM, Copcaller said:

I absolutely hated killing Avery he was my favorite boss in vc

You made the confusion with Liberty City Stories.

Edited by Evil empire

Crossbones
On 12/9/2018 at 4:06 AM, Evil empire said:

You made the confusion with Vice City Stories.

And you made the confusion with Liberty City Stories, cause Avery was killed by Toni in LCS. 

OT- I never felt bad for any of those missions because those people just don't feel real unlike the characters of HD era. Messing with the Man was fun and going on rampages isn't a new thing in GTA, I agree that storylinewise it was pretty idiotic that just to prove Mitch that Tommy ain't a b*tch, you have to murder innocent people but we don't do that in a horrific way like burying them alive or tying their hands and legs and throwing them in the sea. Then the thing about Shakedown is that's how a protection racket works. You need be feared if you want to survive in the criminal underworld. 

wfank
6 hours ago, Crossbones said:

And you made the confusion with Liberty City Stories, cause Avery was killed by Toni in LCS. 

OT- I never felt bad for any of those missions because those people just don't feel real unlike the characters of HD era. Messing with the Man was fun and going on rampages isn't a new thing in GTA, I agree that storylinewise it was pretty idiotic that just to prove Mitch that Tommy ain't a b*tch, you have to murder innocent people but we don't do that in a horrific way like burying them alive or tying their hands and legs and throwing them in the sea. Then the thing about Shakedown is that's how a protection racket works. You need be feared if you want to survive in the criminal underworld. 

Excellent answer, totally agree with everything you said there. True the HD ones feel a lot more realistic, and 3D going on a rampage on the cartoonish world doesnt feel that bad at all . And love your answer about the protection racket, still I do feel bad these days when the off screen shop owner's voice cries "my livelihood destroyed" , but at the end of the day its just a game and we play to enjoy :) .

TheSantader25

I have to disagree that HD and 3D NPCs Are different. More graphics doesn't mean more life. 

Miamivicecity
2 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

I have to disagree that HD and 3D NPCs Are different. More graphics doesn't mean more life. 

I've been playing Vice City again and as much as I love the game I have to admit the peds are pretty f*cking stupid for the most part. They only just qualify for competant A.I to populate the game world, but nothing more really like all 3D era GTAs.

With the move to HD it wasn't just graphics, but the A.I also improved where they would react more life like and given more dialogue so they would resemble a human being instead of a robot saying a couple words. It's a huge difference if you look at things objectively instead of "disagreeing" without saying anything substantial to refute.

TheSantader25
13 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

I've been playing Vice City again and as much as I love the game I have to admit the peds are pretty f*cking stupid for the most part. They only just qualify for competant A.I to populate the game world, but nothing more really like all 3D era GTAs.

With the move to HD it wasn't just graphics, but the A.I also improved where they would react more life like and given more dialogue so they would resemble a human being instead of a robot saying a couple words. It's a huge difference if you look at things objectively instead of "disagreeing" without saying anything substantial to refute.

Tbh I agree with your point about VC and III. but I think SA was the first time I felt like THE AI was alive. NPCs parking their cars in the driveway. Drug dealers acting like drug dealers,Car stealers,... . Existing in bars and acting more like humans. Of course IV improved it further but SA was the start. So saying that the 3D era AI does not feel alive doesn't apply to SA if you ask me. 

wfank
1 hour ago, TheSantader25 said:

Tbh I agree with your point about VC and III. but I think SA was the first time I felt like THE AI was alive. NPCs parking their cars in the driveway. Drug dealers acting like drug dealers,Car stealers,... . Existing in bars and acting more like humans. Of course IV improved it further but SA was the start. So saying that the 3D era AI does not feel alive doesn't apply to SA if you ask me. 

GTA 3 and VC are almost teh same, with VC having more features and being more alive. But SA is the the which took the franchise to a whole new level. It might be in the 3D era but it is the border between 3D and HD and totally different from 3 and VC, bigger than them in every aspect combined. Tbh SA has more to offer than GTA 5 does which for me is all graphics (just to name an example only Los Santos is there, San Fario and Los Venturas have been totally cut off from GTA 5, mission and story wise SA is way bigger than any game). GTA 4 + EFLC Expansions still is imo the best, followed by SA. You could feel the peds being more sensitive beginning with SA, an eg if you use flame thrower in VC the peds just give light scream and run a bit but die, in SA the effect is more visual, and the screaming is so realistic its like they are feeling real pain. Peds are more sensitive for their cars, they attack your car with shovels and stuffs,  even GSF members attack Carl if you hit their car. In VC normal peds dont care no matter how badly you ram into their cars and if you shoot they just run away with/without their cars. No one can swim in VC, from SA on wards (except LCS) in every game they can. Not to mention the reactions to home invasions in SA, some act like hostages while others try to attack you. Even if you point a gun, they would raise their hands, run or fight back. Only time you can hold hostages in VC is The Job mission and the shopkeepers of the stores, otherwise pointing gun has no affect on them. Also SA was way too enhanced for normal 3D games at that time. So yeah we cant hold 3, VC in the same category of SA. LCS brought down much of those stuffs that were available in SA. SA  and VCS were the borders of 3D and HD , and should be considered separately. 

Been attached to the GTA franchise since GTA 2, in GTA 2 peds meant almost nothing to me and would squash them with cars like it was nothing. From GTA 2 to 5 played them all. Today however SA, 4, 5 well they are a bit time consuming and I cant manage time to play, so Vice City being much simple I still play since 2004, 14 years now, longer than any game I have ever played and it is one of the best and one of my fav and will hopefully play as long as I can....

Edited by wfank

TheSantader25

@wfank

Agreed. For me SA is the best GTA followed by GTA V. I still love GTA IV as well though some of the missing features from SA made me disappointed by that game which is why I hold it lower than V, SA and VC. but still love IV as well since it has it's own strong points. 

wfank

On a more curious and albeit funny note, I always wondered the logic why Tommy had to kill the pizza delivery guy on Road Kill. Mr. Black's other missions are understandable.

Waste the wife - the client's wife may have been cheating on him or spending too much on jewelry. 

Autocide - If the planned bank robbery by the European gang took place, it might have been bad for the client's business.

Check out at the check in: Lots of reason to kill a big fish, but I think is something to do with arms deal as Tommy has to go to he Ammu-Nation.

Lose Ends: 80s themed mafia drug deals, ambushing them is can have obvious gains for a mysterious phone calling boss.

But what about Road Kill? Did Mr. Black;s client get pissed his pizza wasn't being delivered on time, or the delivery guy forgot the drinks? LOL !