1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
White Shark

Let's talk about radar blips.

Let's talk about radar blips.  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How should the radar blips for players be implemented for Red Dead Online?

• Keep them the way they are in GTA Online
    • Remove them completely at all times
    • Remove blips, but only show high bounties / violent individuals and gunfire when close by

White Shark

I choose 3- Remove blips, but only show bounties / violent individuals and gunfire when close by.  

No one should show up on the radar at all, only unless you have a high bounty or are a violent, aggressive individual (very high mental state).  Plus, these people should only show up on the radar to you if they're close by or in the town you're in.  Also, firing your gun will show you on radar to nearby players but only briefly.

For dedicated bounty hunters, you can visit local sheriff offices, and look at posters on walls which will show bounties in the current session and the last town or area they were seen in, so you can travel there to hunt them down. 

IamCourtney

3 is the closest to what I'd like to see but there needs to be SOME sense of where other players are or else the world will seem too empty. Maybe distant player's position can update every 30 seconds or so to sort of simulate rumours of other outlaw's activities making the rounds.

Lackless

Won't happen since the world would look empty to the player and R* doesn't want that.

Wonder81

Difference is a player can't zerg rush across the map in one of the many air vehicles in GTA 

AddamHusayin

Well you could always check the board to see how many players are in the game and who is in the game but you just wouldn't see exactly where they are unless they had a bounty, started shooting at you, or you formed a posse with them

Smokewood

It should work like battlefield.

If you do something close enough for me to hear or see, then I see your blimp until you can avoid me again.

The FoolYT

One thing is the map is large af but i think it would be rather interesting being in a freemode with 30 other players and not knowing where the others may be. I think there should be some indicators or something for people who are part of your crew or posse (Like something above their head)

The other people who are not part of your crew and posse shouldn't have anything noticeable about them unless as you said, they have a bounty on them. If they shoot, they should show up on the radar with the white flashing blip like in single player.

I want scenarios like lets say you decide to rob a train with two people, you have a chance of being jumped by another crew who also intended to rob the train further down the line but didn't know you were planning to and so a firefight can take place. 

I just don't want a 24/7 system of knowing where everyone is as that just encourages griefing (e.g. you need to deliver a carriage? fat chance when you have people that can blast your horses dead or throw a stick of dynamite. It would maybe be fair game if blips were off in this circumstance)

ASMorgan

I'd like to see a complete copy of the first RDR Online in terms of lobby setup ; "normal" (auto-aim, players on radar), "hardcore" (free-aim, players not on radar unless running/riding a horse [hitting A/X] or shooting) & "friendly" (no pVp combat at all).

The beauty of RDR1O is that it worked - even up until like a month ago, all you had to do was sign on, invite a friend & you could play in the same stable, populated lobby for hours, switching between whatever style lobby suited your taste for the time...unlike GTAO, which 5 years later, is still unstable as can be, experiences "unknown network errors" constantly, tells you that you don't have any friends playing even though your entire friend list is playing, so on & so forth.

The concept of GTAO was great, but the execution was putrid.

ALifeOfMisery
11 hours ago, Smokewood said:

If you do something close enough for me to hear or see, then I see your blimp until you can avoid me again.

I voted option 3, as it's the closest to what I would like to see in game.

What @Smokewoodsays is 100% how I would like it to work, blips should appear based on vicinity + actions. If I'm in a different state I don't care what someone else is doing, how loudly they're doing it or whether money is involved, I shouldn't know or be alerted.

The exception to this should be friends and crew mates, I'd be happy with these being shown at all times.

djb204

It’s the Wild West, we shouldn’t know the location of other people at any given time, that breaks immersion.

Players who have a bounty shouldn’t be revealed either. Would be bounty hunter players should require the use of the tracking system from single player in order to locate wanted players.

Wonder81

The dynamics of the game are going to be entirely different to GTA's Air War. It may not be that easy to track down and grief another player. In theory a horse vs horse chase could become very protracted, taking you across different states, using up all of your stimulants and wearing down your steed. Different types of horses will come into play, a war horse vs a race horse becoming a tortoise vs hare scenario. 

Lonely-Martin

I want to be able to mingle with NPC's and be a sneaky, cunning, crafty Bastard. Can't if I know where you are either, zero spontaenous gameplay really.

All hidden unless you start shooting within the vicinity. Bounties can flash last locations or have posters with clues, you know, hunt the bandits, lol.

If I'm in Saint Denis and 2 players/gangs are fighting high up in the mountains, I don't care nor could we hear or even know that happened. Maybe flash up a message and say if a posse is attacking something, but just a state name or something.

Things like robbing a train in wherever, a pop up saying 'bandits are up to no good in Valentine, go investigate the disturbance' or something.

What we do, we do. Help, hinder, watch peacefully and take pictures as an 'NPC'. Anything.

Basically, take all that bad and poisionously easy, grief friendly, no challenge bullsh*t from GTA:O, and bin it!

Edited by Lonely-Martin

White Shark
1 hour ago, Lonely-Martin said:

I want to be able to mingle with NPC's and be a sneaky, cunning, crafty Bastard. Can't if I know where you are either, zero spontaenous gameplay really.

All hidden unless you start shooting within the vicinity. Bounties can flash last locations or have posters with clues, you know, hunt the bandits, lol.

If I'm in Saint Denis and 2 players/gangs are fighting high up in the mountains, I don't care nor could we hear or even know that happened. Maybe flash up a message and say if a posse is attacking something, but just a state name or something.

Things like robbing a train in wherever, a pop up saying 'bandits are up to no good in Valentine, go investigate the disturbance' or something.

What we do, we do. Help, hinder, watch peacefully and take pictures as an 'NPC'. Anything.

Basically, take all that bad and poisionously easy, grief friendly, no challenge bullsh*t from GTA:O, and bin it!

Perfect!

Lonely-Martin
1 hour ago, White Shark said:

Perfect!

The potential is huge I feel. GTA:O did to do that part right In that it's shown just how varied and wide the playerbase is when a game offers so much to all.

djb204
7 hours ago, Wonder81 said:

The dynamics of the game are going to be entirely different to GTA's Air War. It may not be that easy to track down and grief another player. In theory a horse vs horse chase could become very protracted, taking you across different states, using up all of your stimulants and wearing down your steed. Different types of horses will come into play, a war horse vs a race horse becoming a tortoise vs hare scenario. 

RDR1’s Hardcore Free Roam provided the ability to travel undetected. Traveling no faster then a trot, not firing your guns, etc, kept your blip from appearing (even while wanted). Skilled players knew how to locate players using the in game systems. This was a good system in my book. Whether or not our location was revealed was based on our actions.

HollowNetwork

The radar options are one of the things I missed most from GTA 4, used to have insanely fun gun battles. My friends and I still reminisce about the nights on Colony Island. Without the radar crutch you had to actually hunt for people using other clues. Or you could set traps like grabbing the Sultan RS, and parking it with the tires blown to just wait for someone. There was a time you could glitch to turn off the overhead blip. Driving in traffic and blending in with the AI, waiting for the right moment to pounce... that was all so much fun that you can't do with the radar constantly on. If there are no radar options, I didn't mind the lobby options in RDR1.