1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

NoEasyDay

Can you do ANYTHING without getting a bounty?

NoEasyDay

For a game about being an outlaw, the crime system in this game is pretty obnoxious. 

Let me start by saying I'm a huge red dead fan. I like this game a lot. I want to love it, but man I cant seem to do anything without getting a ridiculous bounty on my head. 

Is there any possible way to rob the backroom business at the doc office in valentine without getting a bounty or instigating a shootout with the sherriff? It's like the game wants you to do this little side activity, but if the cost is a pricey bounty then it's not really worth the trouble. It seems like the only truly feasible way go play this game is as a saint. What's the deal with that?

Badbrains420
10 minutes ago, NoEasyDay said:

For a game about being an outlaw, the crime system in this game is pretty obnoxious. 

Let me start by saying I'm a huge red dead fan. I like this game a lot. I want to love it, but man I cant seem to do anything without getting a ridiculous bounty on my head. 

Is there any possible way to rob the backroom business at the doc office in valentine without getting a bounty or instigating a shootout with the sherriff? It's like the game wants you to do this little side activity, but if the cost is a pricey bounty then it's not really worth the trouble. It seems like the only truly feasible way go play this game is as a saint. What's the deal with that?

I know what you mean... certain situations it’s more obnoxious then gta...I was in saint denis and some Irish folk didn’t like me and started trash talking so I tried to defuse the situation and they pulled there guns and took a few shots at me, instead of returning fire I ran behind a building and hid thinking the local police would defuse the situation... instead I got a bounty for disturbing the peace ... cops joined the Irish guys and shot me down for nothing at all, really broke the immersion for me

Edited by Badbrains420

NoEasyDay

Smh. I know it's being said all over these forums, but I truly hope they change this system in an update. Right now its kind of spoiling the fun for me in what is otherwise a fantastic game. There needs to be a balance between realism and fun. 

Right now I feel like I cant do much besides the main missions. I'm afraid to even enter a town because everytime I do it costs me 100 bucks lol.

Badbrains420

@NoEasyDay areed, I feel the exact same way you do.. like you said I really hope they change/adjust the wanted system... I wish rockstar would have spent at least a month or two out of those 8 years to fix there broken wanted systems.... otherwise though it’s still a masterpiece

Edited by Badbrains420

NoEasyDay
1 hour ago, Badbrains420 said:

@NoEasyDay areed, I feel the exact same way you do.. like you said I really hope they change/adjust the wanted system... I wish rockstar would have spent at least a month or two out of those 8 years to fix there broken wanted systems.... otherwise though it’s still a masterpiece

Hey man, dunno if you are open to this kind of thing, but I found a solution that works for ME.

Gold bar duplication glitch. In other words, unlimited money. Now I can play the game how I want to and just pay the bounties. Dunno if you are open to exploiting the game like that, but if so look it up. It's easy. 

Regardless good luck man!

Is there any possible way to rob the backroom business at the doc office in valentine without getting a bounty or instigating a shootout with the she rriff?

I can't tell because I didn't do it yet, but one thing is sure; if being wanted is part of the mission then it's normal if you are being wanted because it is scripted..but as I said, I did not do it yet.

In any case, seem like you do not understand how the system works.

"If nobody sees it, it didn’t happen."

If witnesses report what you did or if a lawmen sees you then it's normal if you are being wanted and get a bounty, especially if you do not have any bandana or mask. What did you think ? that you could run around and rob and kill people without consequences ?

I was in saint denis and some Irish folk didn’t like me and started trash talking so I tried to defuse the situation and they pulled there guns and took a few shots at me

Honestly, I doubt that. A few times in Saint Denis I got mocked and harassed by some fellers and they never pulled pistols on me just like that, even when trying to diffuse the situation they started to fist fight me. The only times they pulled a gun on me is when I took my gun out and when I ran them over with my horse.

It's all fun but please guys if you did not play enough and do not understand how this works, don't spread false information.

Edited by anthony

saintsrow

The hair trigger law enforcement was also a major pain point in the early days of GTAV, basically like "Can you do ANYTHING in GTAV without getting a WANTED level?" 

For me, it destroyed what little replay value GTAV story mode might have had.  So it drove me to GTA Online, where I can and mostly play in what I call "MIssion Mode," starting missions that don't have cops, so I can run around and cause choas without having to worry about the damn cops.  

Bottom line, this Bounty sh*t may destroy RDR2's replay value.  

jimmylh

I was driving the train through town and accidently ran over a guy crossing the track. I got a murder wanted. WTF? I couldn't believe it.

ewankirky
29 minutes ago, jimmylh said:

I was driving the train through town and accidently ran over a guy crossing the track. I got a murder wanted. WTF? I couldn't believe it.

How did you come to acquire a train, steal it? Were you speeding? 

Pocket Fox
7 hours ago, anthony said:

I can't tell because I didn't do it yet, but one thing is sure; if being wanted is part of the mission then it's normal if you are being wanted because it is scripted..but as I said, I did not do it yet.

If witnesses report what you did or if a lawmen sees you then it's normal if you are being wanted and get a bounty, especially if you do not have any bandana or mask. What did you think ? that you could run around and rob and kill people without consequences ?

Honestly, I doubt that. A few times in Saint Denis I got mocked and harassed by some fellers and they never pulled pistols on me just like that, even when trying to diffuse the situation they started to fist fight me. The only times they pulled a gun on me is when I took my gun out and when I ran them over with my horse.

It's all fun but please guys if you did not play enough and do not understand how this works, don't spread false information.

I'm so glad you're here to tell us what did and did not happen in other people's games. Maybe you could follow your own advice and not spread false information.

I'm fairly certain the honour system of good/bad Arthur plays into how other's treat you beyond the townsfolk saying 'good morning'

It could be a high honour Arthur is seen by criminals (O'Driscalls) as a whimp, someone who won't fight back and so they'll shoot at him after calling him out. Or perhaps it is the opposite, where a low honour Arthur is seen as a criminal in which they'll shoot at after an argument. In any case, it is possible the honour system is at work here, or possibly not. If only more smartarses could tell us what did and did not happen in our playthroughs.

Gallows

I don't know why people have so many issues with this bounty system. I have learned not to get big bounties. The system is harsh, but I really like that, instead of the cartoonish style where actions do not have consequences.

When I rob people I cover my face, then I hide the bodies of dead people and  I take care of witnesses. When someone sees a crime, they report it. Then the law investigates and before that happends you must be outside the red area. I killed several people in Valentine, because I wanted a sheep pelt for a hat, and hunting it in the wild just took too long. I had my face covered with the executioner hood. I killed 4 people including a sherif I think, fled the town and ended up with a $25 bounty.

If no one reports a crime, there is no crime. If no one sees the crime, there is no crime. As long as you are not inside the red area as the law investigate and the discover your identity, I have never recieved a big bounty. I got a bounty of $300 in Strawberry when getting micah out of jail, because I did not cover my face.

As far as I know you can go to jail instead of paying. Go to the sherif, stand completely still with no weapon in hand.

I really like how the world reacts to crime.

As for being a bad guy - I find it hard. Everything you do in the game pushes you towards the good side, so you have to really work to stay on the bad side.

I think a lot of the frustration comes from people not fully understanding the depth of the bounty and crime system.

Edited by Gallows

40 minutes ago, Pocket Fox said:

I'm so glad you're here to tell us what did and did not happen in other people's games. Maybe you could follow your own advice and not spread false information.

I'm fairly certain the honour system of good/bad Arthur plays into how other's treat you beyond the townsfolk saying 'good morning'

It could be a high honour Arthur is seen by criminals (O'Driscalls) as a whimp, someone who won't fight back and so they'll shoot at him after calling him out. Or perhaps it is the opposite, where a low honour Arthur is seen as a criminal in which they'll shoot at after an argument. In any case, it is possible the honour system is at work here, or possibly not. If only more smartarses could tell us what did and did not happen in our playthroughs.

Maybe, maybe I'm wrong. In any case I don't believe the 

hid thinking the local police would defuse the situation... instead I got a bounty for disturbing the peace ... cops joined the Irish guys and shot me down for nothing at all, really broke the immersion for me

since the cops do shoot people who pull a gun on you IF you did not shot at all and did nothing.

I got a bounty of $300 in Strawberry when getting micah out of jail, because I did not cover my face.

Yes I bet many people did not noticed that, even the game suggest you to put a bandana the beginning of the shootout ~"Press L1 to put on your bandana".

Edited by anthony

roe
24 minutes ago, Gallows said:

If no one reports a crime, there is no crime. If no one sees the crime, there is no crime. As long as you are not inside the red area as the law investigate and the discover your identity

Careful with some of small story spoilers there partner.

But yeah, this is exactly my experience so far too.  I even had it where I was around when they were investigating but because I wasn't causing any trouble or looking suspicious, I just strolled right past them while they went running into the scene looking for clues.

Mister Pink

I robbed the drug store and got a bounty of around $1.50 for assault because I think I shouldered someone on the way out. Not sure why they couldn't pin the 4 murders of the O'Driscolls in the backroom on me (probably because nobody witnessed it) and I figure the drugstore keep doesn't want the law snooping around his backdoor business. 

But yeah. Don't shoot back, just make an escape. 

Gallows
3 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

I robbed the drug store and got a bounty of around $1.50 for assault because I think I shouldered someone on the way out. Not sure why they couldn't pin the 4 murders of the O'Driscolls in the backroom on me (probably because nobody witnessed it) and I figure the drugstore keep doesn't want the law snooping around his backdoor business. 

But yeah. Don't shoot back, just make an escape. 

Exactly. If you shoot back, you will end up getting a bounty. Self defence as an excuse seldom works in your favor against the townspeople whom you shoot in self defence. If you play the game and put some thought into what you do, it's easy to avoid the law. Someone askes me to "get the hell out of the way" and pulled out his repeater at a river crossing. In RDR1 I'd have shot him in the face and not looked back. In this situation I didn't, because I knew it would be a risk if someone saw me leave the area, I'd have to clean up the crime scene and dispose of the body and someone may witness me doing that. I had one instance where I robbed someone and shot them. Someone saw me dispose of the body, which made me dispose of a second body, which someone else witnessed - after three bodies, the road was fortunately quiet for a while. I did however not get into trouble with the law. This has however made me think a second time before breaking the law. I really like this new system. Work with it instead of trying to break it - you will lose.

Mister Pink

@GallowsI always wanted and loved the idea of disposing of bodies. It's next level. The only game I really had to do that in was Hitman which I love. But now that it's in RDR 2 is amazing. 

But yeah you are right. Glad someone else seems to have it figured because it wasn't so clear cut as to how the system works as I think we're all expecting it to work somewhat like the first game. I've been testing the waters. But I think the general rule is that unless the person is showing as a red icon, self-defence won't fly. 

jimmylh
2 hours ago, ewankirky said:

How did you come to acquire a train, steal it? Were you speeding? 

A gang had just robbed the train when I rode up. The passengers left so I jumped aboard the loco. There are basically two speeds, stopped and moving. lol

Wolfboy20
16 hours ago, Badbrains420 said:

I know what you mean... certain situations it’s more obnoxious then gta...I was in saint denis and some Irish folk didn’t like me and started trash talking so I tried to defuse the situation and they pulled there guns and took a few shots at me, instead of returning fire I ran behind a building and hid thinking the local police would defuse the situation... instead I got a bounty for disturbing the peace ... cops joined the Irish guys and shot me down for nothing at all, really broke the immersion for me

This gets really anoying when the cops just stand there and do nothing while someone eelse shoots at you..then you gget wanted for defending yourself..

Don't forget when crimes you do get reported by invisible witnesses and you get a wanted level regardless

MadHammerThorsteen

You're in a band of notorious outlaws on the run from an everexpanding army of feds and lawmen, during a time when society had all but forced gangs to the brink of extinction. Yes, everything you do is going to draw attention.

I love having a high bounty. I can be out in the wilderness with my minimap off, hear the bounty hunter music, look around with my binoculars to spot them, and then plan my ambush. It's great.

It seems to me that complaints like these aren't issues with the game. They're issues of the plaintive party wanting to wrestle the game into being the way they want it to be.

RDR2 is a journey and you have to remain completely open to where it takes you instead of being so focused on doing things your way. If you've ever taken psychedelics, you know that trying to control the experience never ends well.

This is a major feat for games, which is they've gotten out of the rut of making everything work according to the player's will. The world of 1899 RDR is supposed to be alive, and for it to be alive, it has to operate by its own rules. Society doesn't serve our wants, rather we have to learn to carefully circumnavigate society's rules, as one would actually have to do as an outlaw in 1899 USA.

19 hours ago, Badbrains420 said:

You don't see the greatness in that? That's something I could see happening in 1899 New Orleans.

Edited by MatthewIRL

Tonesta

They way I've played it - it seems like the simplest way to play this game is to do your robbin' and murderin' out in the wilderness where there's fewer witnesses and no lawmen around; but be a good boy and obey the law in the towns because that's where you'll get into trouble (I haven't been to St. Denis yet, so can't say how that works). And that's kind of a realistic approach.

So far, through ~15 hours of gameplay, I've only picked up one single bounty (which was for beating up the guy in the saloon in Valentine to get the racoon hat - totally worth it!) outside of scripted missions.

But for example, I got into an altercation with the rancher at Downes.....he got a little angry, so I got a little angry, and he wound up a little bit dead.....and then I looted him/the barn/the house. But it's isolated so there's no witnesses and therefore no bounties. Just a bit of a hit to my Honor.

full_r3trd
20 minutes ago, Tonesta said:

They way I've played it - it seems like the simplest way to play this game is to do your robbin' and murderin' out in the wilderness where there's fewer witnesses and no lawmen around; but be a good boy and obey the law in the towns because that's where you'll get into trouble (I haven't been to St. Denis yet, so can't say how that works). And that's kind of a realistic approach.

So far, through ~15 hours of gameplay, I've only picked up one single bounty (which was for beating up the guy in the saloon in Valentine to get the racoon hat - totally worth it!) outside of scripted missions.

But for example, I got into an altercation with the rancher at Downes.....he got a little angry, so I got a little angry, and he wound up a little bit dead.....and then I looted him/the barn/the house. But it's isolated so there's no witnesses and therefore no bounties. Just a bit of a hit to my Honor.

in town you can still antagonize people and defend yourself... as long as it isnt you doing the assaulting... some people you antagonize will try to fist fight you so you can fight back but you have to fight fair, dont draw a gun... i dont think ive been shot at in town but i have had people pull guns on me but i defuse those situations haha

Badbrains420
On 10/29/2018 at 6:58 PM, anthony said:

Uhhh feel free to doubt all you want but thats What happened buddy, why would I lie about that lmao

Gallows

I had a horse collision in strawberry, the other guy got mad and started shooting at me. I positioned myself behind some people and the hot headed madman killed two civilians. I never shot back, but just found cover near the sherif, who engaged the npc as soon as he saw the incident. The sherif shot the other guy and commented on how that would give him a promotion or something to that effect.

i have also seen NPCs being mauled by Bears and cougars, so while the world may seem harsh, it is in fact relatively fair and doesn’t stand out as fake, like most open world games, when you just remain passive and watch the world.

paddymcg

I was riding on the rooftop of a freight train in Ambarino. I was on the last car trying to shoot birds with my varmint rifle for the sharpshooter challenge.

As soon as I fired the first shot, the train stopped and some people on the train tried to kill me, then the cops showed up out of nowhere and I got a bounty.

I'm okay with the train stopping and the guards trying to kill me but there's no way the law could have found out about the crime, let alone get to the scene of the crime as fast as they did, that's completely stupid.

guardian1816

As far as valentine Drs office is concerned I think it is meant for VERY early on as a free way to get the Schofield revolver.   Aside from that there is nothing in that room worth a damn.  Hell they dont even really explain what they are doing back there.  I even blew open the safe and I think there was a few dollars in there but nothing worth the bounty are you going to get leaving that joint.   

Also, everyone touts on about the realism.   That only applies to a point.   I spent time getting the Arabian horse, arguably one of the fastest in game, law enforcement seem to have little issue keeping up with you consistently.  If the cops see you they (rockstar) seem to want you to fight them and get a hell of a bounty.  If you run, you better have a large amount of health and stamina boosts on you and/or your horse are going to die running away.  

This game is good, but like somebody said its hard to love it because of the many glitches there are.   If they tested this game for 10 minutes they wouldve found a bunch of them.   I lost the legendary bear pelt because I was killed while on the horse and returning with it (because of a bounty I might add)   I thought it said something about the trapper having extras but i didnt see them in his inventory.   As far as I can tell I will never be able to make an item that requires that pelt now.  

Im placing bets on two things.   The first thing they fix is the gold duplication glitch because it is game breaking and makes money have zero value at all and IF (IF) they do anything with the bounty system they are going to change it so drastically far that it is virtually game breaking in the other direction.  

Rockstar has made billions of dollars off of GTA and really doesnt need to care.  People will continue to buy their products for a few decades anyways.   Only time will tell if they are going to do anything to make this game great instead of just ok.  

Edited by guardian1816

Bother

I played a mission with Micah yesterday. It's not really relevant to the main story so i don't think it's a spoiler to say that we ambushed a bunch of people, robbed a bunch of stuff, and ended up killing a lot of O'Driscolls. We both wore bandanas, and as far as I was aware killed everyone in sight. As soon as the mission ended I fled the scene, all too aware from previous incidents how quickly witnesses arrive at the scene. Within ten seconds there was a witness report, and I thought "OK, no problem, nobody saw me, I'm already hundreds of metres away". But nope, it swiftly became "wanted", and then <bam> a $100 bounty. Cue much indignation and shouting at the TV. But today I was thinking... maybe the witness was a wounded victim? Maybe we didn't actually kill everyone? If that's the case then the system is richer than I thought. After the next massacre I'll have to weigh up the urgency of leaving the scene as fast as possible with the necessity of walking around, um, 'silencing' survivors. Pretty damn realistic, if it does actually work like that. 

Bother

Also can others confirm that you don't ever get an increased bounty for killing bounty hunters? I got ambushed by some yesterday, left them dead on the road and some passersby immediately strolled past... no alert, no bounty. Very strange. Surely the bounty should respond quite dramatically to the execution of bounty hunters!

guardian1816
2 minutes ago, Bother said:

Also can others confirm that you don't ever get an increased bounty for killing bounty hunters? I got ambushed by some yesterday, left them dead on the road and some passersby immediately strolled past... no alert, no bounty. Very strange. Surely the bounty should respond quite dramatically to the execution of bounty hunters!

I have noticed that as well so at least thats something.   The only thing I wish they added was, if the bounties hunters "capture/kill" you that they actually get paid and the bounty goes away.   That would make a LOT of sense but not to Rockstar apparently.  Also, if you had the money take the money or take what money you had...I would even be good with that, but still, nope.   They just constantly show up when you have a bunch of pelts you want to keep on the back of your horse, kill you and those disappear.

The Algerian

Not sure what's wrong with people defending it, are we playing the same game?
Quite often thus far I had someone provoke me, whom I provoked back, they pulled a gun, started to shoot me, I shot back, and got a bounty on my head. And minus honor if I kill them in self-defense, which is pretty hard not to, since shooting the arm or the gun rarely even does anything.

This is really stupid, I was really hoping it wouldn't be like that.

Gallows
1 hour ago, The Algerian said:

Not sure what's wrong with people defending it, are we playing the same game?
Quite often thus far I had someone provoke me, whom I provoked back, they pulled a gun, started to shoot me, I shot back, and got a bounty on my head. And minus honor if I kill them in self-defense, which is pretty hard not to, since shooting the arm or the gun rarely even does anything.

This is really stupid, I was really hoping it wouldn't be like that.

Run to the sherif and he will deal with the criminal.