Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. Gameplay
      2. Missions
      3. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Merle Travis

An open letter to Rockstar: please slow down the fast in game clock and please patch the day, night and weather transitions!

Recommended Posts

full_r3trd
59 minutes ago, wxflurry said:

To be honest I think you're both right and wrong. Right in the sense that it is indeed trivially easy for them to make the code change necessary to change the time cycle. There should be little doubt about that point. That being said, it doesn't mean that there won't be undesirable (and unacceptable) SIDE EFFECTS as a result of that simple change. IMO I think the biggest potential issue has to do with NPC actions. It's possible that the NPCs are coded in a way that the "things" they do during the day take up a very specific amount of real time ... which corresponds to a specific amount of in-game (read: sped up time cycle) time. For instance, a ranch hand that is herding cattle, a dude in valentine carrying around a piece of lumber for the purpose of constructing a building, someone moving around a bale of heigh, etc. It's possible that all such NPCs require the duration of daylight to be jusssst the exact amount that it currently is, because the activity that they're given to do takes exactly that amount of time, and if you suddenly arbitrarily increase the amount of daylight (or nighttime) then it breaks all of that. 

 

And to be clear ... I personally 100% wholeheartedly agree about these issues brought up here with the day/night cycle. I absolutely f*cking love this game. I think it's brilliant. But the time cycle implemented in the game is by far the biggest disappointment I've experienced with it. In fact it's one of the only disappointments. It's very frustrating to see a gorgeous sunset and then whip out your camera to line up that perfect shot only for the sun to fall below the horizon by the time you can actually press the right trigger button. Ditto on the weather changes. It just happens too damn fast and really hurts the immersion. For a game with such a remarkable attention to detail (your horse will actually keep its weight on its hind legs when going down a steep slope ... like what the actual f*ck?!) and such a remarkable ability to immerse the player, it's a rather shocking oversight (or more likely an explicit error in judgment) to have done things this way.

 

Edit: I support being vocal to Rockstar about this issue, but expecting them to do something to change it is probably a pipe dream. The rapidity of the changes mighhht be an exception. Perhaps something can be done to smooth that out a bit ... but I would be extraordinarily surprised if they changed the length of the overall cycle. Even more so if they added a slider of sorts -- as suggested here -- to allow the players some control over that. Even if something like this would be theoretically feasible (which I suspect it may not be due to the reasons I gave above) it would likely require too much testing to ensure that it doesn't break anything, and that's time and resources that they would instead want to devote to other things that are more pressing (read: things that will make them money) like the online mode and DLC, etc.

i think you are right about the fact the entire game and the events and ambience is planned around a short day... if the code references time of day for when things start or whatever then that wont be affected but maybe a guy finishes sawing some wood at 9am and then picks up his lunch pail and clocks out, then yeah that looks odd. Now you need to make this guy walk somewhere else, the saloon maybe. Mods will always conflict because it is done after the fact and modders dont have access to edit the compiled game scripts... you could edit the exe of course and of course it is possible but nobody is going to do that lol I agree with you but remember this game constantly deletes stuff when you go out of range and has to respawn and restart things all the time... so it isnt as if they set the world and you just wander around it... only 100m away or whatever arbitrary they picked for best performance is all that exists in GTA games so actually modding the time has not produced any noticeable negative affect in other GTA games that use the same RAGE engine (i assume this is same) I think the game just looks at the game time of day and updates the world accordingly as opposed to starting events at certain times and if the player walks up in the middle they will be in the middle of their event... the r* devs just need to roughly check if it is morning afternoon or night and spawn an event or peds to wander around and do stuff... so i agree with you 100% that you will conflict with the game, i just think in this instance the conflict isnt bad. I have modded for IV and V and some conflicts can even make good results that you never intended :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wxflurry
2 minutes ago, full_r3trd said:

i think you are right about the fact the entire game and the events and ambience is planned around a short day... if the code references time of day for when things start or whatever then that wont be affected but maybe a guy finishes sawing some wood at 9am and then picks up his lunch pail and clocks out, then yeah that looks odd. Now you need to make this guy walk somewhere else, the saloon maybe. Mods will always conflict because it is done after the fact and modders dont have access to edit the compiled game scripts... you could edit the exe of course and of course it is possible but nobody is going to do that lol I agree with you but remember this game constantly deletes stuff when you go out of range and has to respawn and restart things all the time... so it isnt as if they set the world and you just wander around it... only 100m away or whatever arbitrary they picked for best performance is all that exists in GTA games so actually modding the time has not produced any noticeable negative affect in other GTA games that use the same RAGE engine (i assume this is same) I think the game just looks at the game time of day and updates the world accordingly as opposed to starting events at certain times and if the player walks up in the middle they will be in the middle of their event... the r* devs just need to roughly check if it is morning afternoon or night and spawn an event or peds to wander around and do stuff... so i agree with you 100% that you will conflict with the game, i just think in this instance the conflict isnt bad. I have modded for IV and V and some conflicts can even make good results that you never intended :)

To clarify, I wasn't trying to suggest that the world goes on when you're not in view. I understand that things and people only spawn once you get "close". I know that the game could theoretically be modded. What I am saying though is that Rockstar will not do it, because doing so will almost certainly break the game (maybe not from every individual player's perspective, but certainly from their perspective).

 

Also worth noting is that NPC behavior in this game differs a fair bit from prior Rockstar games. Since the NPCs here are much more life-like and realistic in their behaviors, it makes it a lot harder to "mod" them and have things still be ok ... as opposed to a typical GTA game where your average NPC is literally just standing or driving around aimlessly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pepperjack
On 10/27/2018 at 8:58 PM, elfoam said:

You have to remember in online all your living fees will be deducted daily so they faster they make it the better. This game has to pay their wages for the next few years remember, it's not going to come cheap.

Yes, my hard taken outlaw money will be wired transferred from my rootin tootin bank account, to my horse mechanic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DirtyDan0311

AGREE. Day turns to night way to quick and the weather comes and goes too rapidly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wxflurry

I really wish a full in-game day lasted something like 1.5 hours. That would make a huge difference IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merle Travis
11 hours ago, wxflurry said:

I really wish a full in-game day lasted something like 1.5 hours. That would make a huge difference IMO.

At the very minimum 1.5 hours, which would be roughly half speed. Mostly I want them to stretch out the sunsets more. You can hardly enjoy them at 15 seconds duration! Imo there should be a slider that lets you slow down time as much as you want. It was easily done in GTA V with a mod, so its clear it isnt hard to do. It would add so much atmosphere to the world to experience it slower.

Edited by Merle Travis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
White Shark

I think each 24 hour day in-game should work out to 2 hours in real time. This would mean each in-game hour lasted 5 minutes in real time which would be perfect.

Edited by White Shark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merle Travis
1 hour ago, White Shark said:

I think each 24 hour day in-game should work out to 2 hours in real time. This would mean each in-game hour lasted 5 minutes in real time which would be perfect.

That would be perfect, but just in case some people wouldn’t like it, they should make it an optional setting so you can choose whatever you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roe

Hmm with the talk of modding and some of the other bugs that have been discovered lately, I'm starting to get excited for a PC version of this now.  I don't even have a gaming PC, but I'd be mighty tempted to invest in one if it could solve some of my biggest issues with this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wxflurry
12 hours ago, Merle Travis said:

At the very minimum 1.5 hours, which would be roughly half speed. Mostly I want them to stretch out the sunsets more. You can hardly enjoy them at 15 seconds duration! Imo there should be a slider that lets you slow down time as much as you want. It was easily done in GTA V with a mod, so its clear it isnt hard to do. It would add so much atmosphere to the world to experience it slower.

See my earlier comment about the potential (and likely) complications of changing the time cycle. It's probably a much more complex problem than what people believe.

Edited by wxflurry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ViperDG

Lengthening the time for a day to pass will only make the World feel smaller. The entire size of the map is only about the size of a small city. If you could travel form one end to the other in less than a dayitwould seem ridiculously small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
White Shark
1 hour ago, ViperDG said:

Lengthening the time for a day to pass will only make the World feel smaller. The entire size of the map is only about the size of a small city. If you could travel form one end to the other in less than a dayitwould seem ridiculously small.

True, hadn't thought of this.  But I think just lengthening the day by even a tad would make a massive difference for people.  At the moment, a game hour is 2 minutes in real time.  Even extending this to 3 or 4 would help, without ruining the scale of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roe
1 hour ago, ViperDG said:

Lengthening the time for a day to pass will only make the World feel smaller. The entire size of the map is only about the size of a small city. If you could travel form one end to the other in less than a dayitwould seem ridiculously small.

I mean, sure, that's a potential drawback to having a longer game clock but the other end of the spectrum is what we have now: where one game of poker last 20 in game hours, or it takes your character half an hour to walk down one small street in Valentine. I know which I'd prefer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roe

Fwiw, this is the response I got from Rockstar Support when I logged it as a potential issue with them:

"Hello roe617,

Thank you for contacting Rockstar Support and for your suggestion.

Although there is currently no new information to share regarding this topic, we appreciate the fact that you are interested in our games and recommend staying tuned to the articles on www.rockstargames.com/support for updates relating to [this topic].

Best regards, Varsh*t V. Rockstar Support"

Seems pretty generic but at least somebody read it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrSrdaro
On 10/28/2018 at 2:18 AM, Merle Travis said:

This is a game that prides itself on immersion, which is why I find it important that Rockstar addresses the unfitting fast day and night cycle. Sunsets, sunrises and other weather changes are hard to enjoy when time is going by this fast. Almost everyone I have talked to are disappointed with a mere 48 minutes for day and night. It seems to be roughly the same as GTA V, 1 hour = 2 minutes, but with faster sunsets for some reason. It does not fit this games pace and it does not blend well with the atmosphere the game tries to build and hinders immersion. As someone said, contemplating the wide open plains and vistas, from the golden late afternoon sun, as the sun *slowly* sets turning from yellow, to orange to red to scattering purple colour on the clouds, that was one of the most artful and atmospheric things in RDR1. But not in RDR 2, they just fly by and are over in an instant. I measured it and sunsets only last around 10-15 seconds. The hours during night is even faster, like 1 minute so 1 night is like 5-7 minutes. This means if you go out hunting at midnight, ride somewhere, set up camp and sit by the fire, its already morning. You go in a shop in the morning and buy and sell some things for a while, you go out its already evening. Why though, when the game is so gorgeous and tries to pace it self so differently than GTA? This game is meant to be enjoyed with patience...feels very rushed to have sunsets and other dynamic weather changes happen that fast. Rockstar, if you are reading this, please patch this and let us enjoy sunsets and sunrises! At the very least please add a time slider setting in the menu for single player. I don't really see what the problem would be to add an option, they could still have missions happen at fixed times, online mode that is coming wouldn't be affected neither since they could make an option just for single player.

 

As it is now, the fast cycle affects the weather badly too - weather changes are very obvious and hectic, clouds and the moon or storms fly by in just a matter of minutes even seconds sometimes. The sky does some very strange things when you observe it in that I am wondering whether it is a bug or was intended this way. The game would not only be more realistic, but much more enjoyable with a time cycle setting for single player that would let you chose cycle length, all the way up to realistic passage of time. Anyone who wouldn't like to change the cycle of 48 minutes could simply keep the option off. Skyrim modders managed to mod time with very little effort in that game, and in GTA V modders did it pretty easily for the PC version. Going by the GTA V mod there seems to be a universal clock that everything runs according to and it is very probable it is the same in Red Dead 2, which makes it easy to modify. NPCs are probably locked to a world clock and since this is Rockstar we are talking about, they probably have coded it well enough that the clock can be modified and NPC schedules will be adjusted accordingly.  So it should not be that hard for Rockstar to at least add this as an optional feature for single player. They wouldn't lose any daily deducted money either from online since they can keep the faster day cycle in the online mode.

 

So with that said, lets make this happen together folks! Lets write to Rockstar and request an option for a slower day and night cycle, click on bug report here: Link to RDR 2 supportpage

 

Agreed totally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
emppapy

Well it’s sure Rockstar can deal with time easily. For instance the time is stopped during some missions so that dawn doesn’t brake while it’s still supposed to be night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0223998743

I can't believe that I did not checked and that nobody checked, 21 likes on this thread.

First off, RDR 1 day duration is also 48 minutes as in RDR 2.

 

You said on a different thread that sunsets are whitish in RDR 2 and not like in RDR 1 with orange sky etc, I've posted a picture that proved this is false.

And now this, I'm not really sure why you spread false information.

 

Quote

 I measured it and sunsets only last around 10-15 seconds.

45 seconds for a sunset: (1:30 to 2:15)

 

 

Edited by anthony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merle Travis
3 hours ago, anthony said:

I can't believe that I did not checked and that nobody checked, 21 likes on this thread.

First off, RDR 1 day duration is also 48 minutes as in RDR 2.

 

You said on a different thread that sunsets are whitish in RDR 2 and not like in RDR 1 with orange sky etc, I've posted a picture that proved this is false.

And now this, I'm not really sure why you spread false information.

 

45 seconds for a sunset: (1:30 to 2:15)

 

 

 

My intention has never been to spread any false information. I am going on the information I have from my experience of playing the game, which may differ depending on where you are in the game. I think we all have been clear that both GTA V and RDR 1 have the same length as RDR 2, 48 minutes. Everybody knows this. The difference is that in RDR 1 the sunsets have lasted much longer, sometimes up to 10 minutes from low sun to sun goes behind horizon, and in RDR 2 the day or night seem to eat up most of that time giving the sunsets very little time, and yes I literally had only 15 seconds. But maybe they differ in length at times or maybe we are starting to count differently? In any case its clear the clock is dynamic and counts differently depending on where you are or what you do and what time it is. In your example, 45 seconds is still ridiculously fast compared to how long a sunset goes on in RDR 1. The thing is, even though the day is equal in length the sunset takes up a much bigger part of the day. I have not had the colorful red sunsets that I had in RDR 1, but maybe I have been unlucky? Thats not the topic of this thread though.

 

But lets not get hung up on numbers. Its clear that many people wanted a longer cycle and a little more time given to watch the beautiful sunsets. But any change should be an optional setting so people can choose what they want.

Edited by Merle Travis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merle Travis
On 10/30/2018 at 11:35 PM, wxflurry said:

To clarify, I wasn't trying to suggest that the world goes on when you're not in view. I understand that things and people only spawn once you get "close". I know that the game could theoretically be modded. What I am saying though is that Rockstar will not do it, because doing so will almost certainly break the game (maybe not from every individual player's perspective, but certainly from their perspective).

 

Also worth noting is that NPC behavior in this game differs a fair bit from prior Rockstar games. Since the NPCs here are much more life-like and realistic in their behaviors, it makes it a lot harder to "mod" them and have things still be ok ... as opposed to a typical GTA game where your average NPC is literally just standing or driving around aimlessly.

 

Thats a good point. I still am not convinced it would be impossible for Rockstar to do, given how relatively easy it was for GTA V modders to do. The more advanced NPC schedules can probably be solved by letting an NPC perform the task it performs longer or simply by repeating their schedule. The fact is we don't know because we don't know to what extent its similarly coded to GTA V. I have a hard time believing though that Rockstar have not coded it well enough that the day night cycle can't be tweaked, during development they would probably have been tweaking the cycle length back and forth. It should simply be an option in the menu that lets you choose the speed, which would mean giving the player access to modifying the variable they have been modifying while tweaking the cycle.

 

There is however something interesting I noticed while sitting in the start menu of the game, that to me speaks for that Rockstar have already been playing with it when making the start menu. I am not sure how many people have noticed, but if you stay a good while in the start menu - the menu with the random in game shot of a landscape playing and RDR 2 logo - the time in game seems to be moving much, much slower than when you are playing. In fact, time seems to be stationary, but the game seems to be running - you hear weather, animals, sometimes NPCs, you see the world is actually alive with wind, rain and other weather effects. If you observe the sun and clouds in these shots, time seems to be almost stationary or very slowed down. Two things could be going on here - either these are scenes that are not in the same world you play in but built only for the start menu, or they are actual shots from in game where time has been slowed down or even set to not move at all. Going by how the shots look and how they sound though, I'd say its the latter. It looks and sounds like its the actual game running but with a stationary or much slower clock.

 

So we may already be seeing the day and night slowed down in the start menu for the landscape shots.

Edited by Merle Travis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roe
7 hours ago, anthony said:

I can't believe that I did not checked and that nobody checked, 21 likes on this thread.

First off, RDR 1 day duration is also 48 minutes as in RDR 2.

 

You said on a different thread that sunsets are whitish in RDR 2 and not like in RDR 1 with orange sky etc, I've posted a picture that proved this is false.

And now this, I'm not really sure why you spread false information.

 

45 seconds for a sunset: (1:30 to 2:15)

 

 


You honestly think that's ok though?  45 seconds is still far too short for something as beautiful as that.  It's like the sun is rushing to get away.  In a game that wants you to walk around and enjoy the sights and atmosphere around you, it's bizarre for time to move at such a rapid pace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merle Travis
2 hours ago, roe said:


You honestly think that's ok though?  45 seconds is still far too short for something as beautiful as that.  It's like the sun is rushing to get away.  In a game that wants you to walk around and enjoy the sights and atmosphere around you, it's bizarre for time to move at such a rapid pace.

Yes, I agree 45 seconds is still a joke...you need to have at least 5 minutes of real time to enjoy a sunset, in Red Dead you often had 10 minutes! And that was great. Its exactly what you said, the game is obviously made for you to walk around and enjoy the atmosphere, and its hard to understand why they would couple such a game with such a quick day and night cycle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wxflurry
8 hours ago, Merle Travis said:

 

Thats a good point. I still am not convinced it would be impossible for Rockstar to do, given how relatively easy it was for GTA V modders to do. The more advanced NPC schedules can probably be solved by letting an NPC perform the task it performs longer or simply by repeating their schedule. The fact is we don't know because we don't know to what extent its similarly coded to GTA V. I have a hard time believing though that Rockstar have not coded it well enough that the day night cycle can't be tweaked, during development they would probably have been tweaking the cycle length back and forth. It should simply be an option in the menu that lets you choose the speed, which would mean giving the player access to modifying the variable they have been modifying while tweaking the cycle.

Oh I'm sure it's not impossible ... but I just think it's highly improbably. I think my argument can ultimately be summed up with the answer to this basic question:

 

What is the incentive for them to make the change?

 

We have a situation where these is probably a fairly small minority of users that want this change. Though simple on the surface, it could cause potentially unforeseen complications ... complications that theoretically could even break the game. And remember, breaking the game doesn't necessarily mean that "nothing functions anymore". All it really means is that even one thing no longer functions as desired/intended. I find it really hard to believe that Rockstar's standards for the quality of their game are not higher than the modders who made the adjustments to GTA V that you mentioned. This is apples and oranges. The modders wouldn't really give a sh*t about what effect their mods have on the game so sure, it's easy to tweak a couple variables/settings and be done with it. Rockstar on the other hand would care ... a lot. And any change made would be unacceptable if it had even a slight chance of breaking (or even remotely adversely affecting) any one of the games myriad of inter-locking systems. For a development studio where people are evidently occasionally being worked to death, I think 100% of their time and energy now is going to be devoted to online and squeezing every single cent out of us that they can. Introducing the aforementioned day/night cycle tweak would be counter to that goal (IMO).

 

I think a tweak to the length of sunsets and sunrises while maintaining the overall length of the cycle is a far more realistic goal (though I'd be very surprised if even that changed).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0223998743
12 hours ago, roe said:


You honestly think that's ok though?  45 seconds is still far too short for something as beautiful as that.  It's like the sun is rushing to get away.  In a game that wants you to walk around and enjoy the sights and atmosphere around you, it's bizarre for time to move at such a rapid pace.

Did you watch that video ? 45 seconds from when the edge of the sun started to sank just under the horizon, in this case the mountains.

You say 5 minutes and Merlin said 10 minutes in RDR 1 (which is an exaggerated claim in my opinion but whatever), so I guess you guys are talking about the differences in the quality of light, the changes in color and brightness that result from the light passing through more atmosphere and not the technical meaning. 

In this case, it last longer of course. In the video that I've posted I would say roughly 3 minutes from when the guy started to record, couldn't found any more sunset so here is a sunrise of more than 4 minutes:

 

 

Edited by anthony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roe

I wouldn't get hung up on sunsets, as that's just one potential annoyance from the quick time cycle.

Just did a test of my own and while walking around camp 1 in game hour lasted just under 5 minutes IRL, meaning a full day would last 2 hours. 

 

Out in the wild (just walking around slowly, the same as I was in the camp) an in game hour lasted around 2 minutes, meaning a full day passes in just 48 minutes.

 

I just don't see why it has to rush so quickly when you're out and about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merle Travis
1 hour ago, roe said:

I wouldn't get hung up on sunsets, as that's just one potential annoyance from the quick time cycle.

Just did a test of my own and while walking around camp 1 in game hour lasted just under 5 minutes IRL, meaning a full day would last 2 hours. 

 

Out in the wild (just walking around slowly, the same as I was in the camp) an in game hour lasted around 2 minutes, meaning a full day passes in just 48 minutes.

 

I just don't see why it has to rush so quickly when you're out and about.

 

Yeah thats true, sunsets is really just a side effect of the cycle going way too fast. It would make much more sense for the cycle to go faster in camp than out in the wild, because there you are probably enjoying the sights, weather changes and sunsets. Best thing would be if everything was slowed down, but right now its completely illogical to have it go faster when you are away from camp and out enjoying nature, it ought to be the exact opposite.

 

 

Edited by Merle Travis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
full_r3trd

so after playing this game now for a good amount of time this week (stayed home from work haha) i totally get why the day/night cycle is quick... it makes the world seem larger so you have to camp out several times and sleep if travelling across the map... but god damn does it stress me out and make me rush to do everything... like i feel like if im hunting and i miss one shot, there goes the entire f*cking day, also i spent like 12 hours trying to calm down a horse to search its saddlebags... that really pissed me off cause everytime i took a step near this horse it went nuts and i think all i got was a half a bottle of gin and i wasted the entire day and im just trying to relax and hunt... i dont know but this game pisses me off in that sense although i get why they do it at the same time... the short day has its benefits for atmosphere but i wish you could go into hunting mode or something and the time slows down but then when you are traveling or whatever, time can go fast again... who knows what is best, i just know this game stresses me out xD

time should actually slow down when you set up camp... that would be a great change, then you set up camp and go hunting all day, they can disable missions, etc at that point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merle Travis
7 minutes ago, full_r3trd said:

so after playing this game now for a good amount of time this week (stayed home from work haha) i totally get why the day/night cycle is quick... it makes the world seem larger so you have to camp out several times and sleep if travelling across the map... but god damn does it stress me out and make me rush to do everything... like i feel like if im hunting and i miss one shot, there goes the entire f*cking day, also i spent like 12 hours trying to calm down a horse to search its saddlebags... that really pissed me off cause everytime i took a step near this horse it went nuts and i think all i got was a half a bottle of gin and i wasted the entire day and im just trying to relax and hunt... i dont know but this game pisses me off in that sense although i get why they do it at the same time... the short day has its benefits for atmosphere but i wish you could go into hunting mode or something and the time slows down but then when you are traveling or whatever, time can go fast again... who knows what is best, i just know this game stresses me out xD

 

That is exactly how I feel. With such a short day and night cycle, managing to do all you want in a day becomes stressful and its like you cant take your time because soon its night time (or soon its daytime since the night is even shorter). Its so weird because the game tries to present it self as a slow burner with a great story and a big world but they just mess it up with that fast clock and make the player stressed. I cant even get my camera out when I see a nice sunset and get it into position, because by then the sun is already gone. I dont know why Rockstar feel they must stress the player to this extent, the game is clearly trying to present another kind of pace that GTA but it just completely fails when it comes to giving the player time.

Edited by Merle Travis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
full_r3trd
7 minutes ago, Merle Travis said:

 

That is exactly how I feel. With such a short day and night cycle, managing to do all you want in a day becomes stressful and its like you cant take your time because soon its night time (or soon its daytime since the night is even shorter). Its so weird because the game tries to present it self as a slow burner with a great story and a big world but they just mess it up with that fast clock and make the player stressed. Not to mention what everyone already said, that you cant enjoy sunsets and weather changes because they are over so fast. I dont know why Rockstar feel they must stress the player to this extent, the game is clearly trying to show off a slower pace than GTA.

it sucks cause if you cook or do anything at camp, you will up to 5 am and be forced to sleep until noon and then your day is even shorter and you end up seeing night all the frickin time... uggh

 

this is something that really needs to be addressed imo... modders can do it but that's on PC only and i like playing on console even though i will own and mod the pc one... i play mutliplayer on console over PC... PC is for single player modding imo... console is way better for multi

 

the days im forced to stay up a couple days in a row i just take my cocaine gum xD

Edited by full_r3trd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pump Action Shotty
On 11/1/2018 at 8:27 AM, anthony said:

I can't believe that I did not checked and that nobody checked, 21 likes on this thread.

First off, RDR 1 day duration is also 48 minutes as in RDR 2.

 

You said on a different thread that sunsets are whitish in RDR 2 and not like in RDR 1 with orange sky etc, I've posted a picture that proved this is false.

And now this, I'm not really sure why you spread false information.

 

45 seconds for a sunset: (1:30 to 2:15)

 

 

I'm not sure what game you're playing but its clear as day that the length of sunsets are abysmal. They are over in a matter of seconds which is an extremely strange flaw for a game with such a beautiful and expansive rural setting. To show you a comparison this is a sunset in RDR1...as you can see it pretty much lasts for the duration of the video once the player is given control of Marston.

 

 

For me the length of the in game days isn't that much of a problem, dont get me wrong I think they should still be longer...over an hour ideally, but for me they still take a decent bit of time to run their cycle.

 

The problem for me is the transition from evening to night....it's just so abrupt, sudden and sped up. It's just not a gradual process how it has been in all of Rockstars previous titles. I'm assuming they just programmed it wrong but couldn't change it as it would delay the game again perhaps? I seriously hope they patch it because it just kills the immersion for me and I believe this is the reason while sunsets only last a matter of seconds. It's just such a small and dumb flaw to have on an otherwise amazingly impressive game.

 

 

 

Edited by Pump Action Shotty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merle Travis
On 11/3/2018 at 12:37 AM, Pump Action Shotty said:

I'm not sure what game you're playing but its clear as day that the length of sunsets are abysmal. They are over in a matter of seconds which is an extremely strange flaw for a game with such a beautiful and expansive rural setting. To show you a comparison this is a sunset in RDR1...as you can see it pretty much lasts for the duration of the video once the player is given control of Marston.

 

 

For me the length of the in game days isn't that much of a problem, dont get me wrong I think they should still be longer...over an hour ideally, but for me they still take a decent bit of time to run their cycle.

 

The problem for me is the transition from evening to night....it's just so abrupt, sudden and sped up. It's just not a gradual process how it has been in all of Rockstars previous titles. I'm assuming they just programmed it wrong but couldn't change it as it would delay the game again perhaps? I seriously hope they patch it because it just kills the immersion for me and I believe this is the reason while sunsets only last a matter of seconds. It's just such a small and dumb flaw to have on an otherwise amazingly impressive game.

 

 

 

Yeah imo they must patch this, because its not only the sunsets but the weather changes are so abrupt you will sometimes have three different weather types within 10 seconds or the lighting will change from one second to another. It honestly feels almost like a bug at times, I have a hard time believing they intended it this way.

 

But the biggest problem visually for me is you miss those magnificent sunsets from RDR 1. Why the hell would they cut those?! That was like half of the game...

Edited by Merle Travis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.