3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Spider-Vice

RDR2 Appreciation/Reaction Thread

Spider-Vice

This is a positive thread. Use the "Constructive Criticism" thread to complain about the game.

Have a question? Please use the "RDR2 Quick Questions" thread.

Message added by Spider-Vice

Cutter De Blanc
11 hours ago, RyuNova said:

Players - *Plays RDR1* We love John! Why you take him from us, let us play as him again!
R* - Hold my Beer *gives us Arthur*
Players - We love Arthur, John is sh*t. Give us Arthur!
R* The f*ck you want?!

I think we'd like them to

Spoiler

stop killing off beloved protagonists

Edited by Cutter De Blanc
How is this topic not marked spoiler

SneakyDeaky
16 minutes ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

I think we'd like them to

Hide contents

stop killing off beloved protagonists

This is why if they are going to do a third game that forms a Van De Linde trilogy, I actually want to play as a young Dutch, when he was "great" and "fought for things" and "had the mark about him." Then I could understand more why so many people, including somewhat smart people like Hosea, found him so magnetic. But mostly because he can't die and the Redemption arc would have to be quite different. 

RyuNova
2 hours ago, SneakyDeaky said:

This is why if they are going to do a third game that forms a Van De Linde trilogy, I actually want to play as a young Dutch, when he was "great" and "fought for things" and "had the mark about him." Then I could understand more why so many people, including somewhat smart people like Hosea, found him so magnetic. But mostly because he can't die and the Redemption arc would have to be quite different. 

I would rather play as a young Hosea.

The Odyssey

Arthur saying thank you to his dying horse is one of the saddest things I've seen in a video game. 

RyuNova
6 hours ago, The Odyssey said:

Arthur saying thank you to his dying horse is one of the saddest things I've seen in a video game. 

It was human. It was not over done with stupid camera angles, faces or speeches. The horse did not get an heroic death where it saves a coach full of children and gets an orphanage named after it, it was a sudden a brutal death that came out of nowhere. 

O.Z
8 hours ago, The Odyssey said:

I was using my 7th or 8th Tennessee Walker at that moment and I couldn’t care less about my horse, sorry if I sound like a dick, but I’m just being honest... 

Dark Rosewood Varnish
2 hours ago, O.Z said:

I was using my 7th or 8th Tennessee Walker at that moment and I couldn’t care less about my horse, sorry if I sound like a dick, but I’m just being honest... 

I find you'll have a greater attachment to your horse if it's a horse you broke in the wild. I broke a blood bay thoroughbred as soon as Chapter 2 started and have been riding with it ever since. I'm in Chapter 6 now and although I've finished the game twice already and know whats coming it's gonna be pretty hard to see that horse die. 

Nulla Lex Ink.

Y'know, I just thought of something. I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, but it doesn't warrant its own topic and this is the best place I could think of.

Anyways, where the heck is Jenny's body in the beginning of the game? After the opening cutscene you can see a little X on the map indicating Davey's, but I don't remember seeing another for Jenny. Granted, when I checked the map that time I hadn't thought to look for hers, so it could be in a wagon somewhere and I just overlooked it. They hadn't already buried her, had they? Her grave is a fair bit past the camp and it doesn't seem like they were coming from that direction.

Emmi

Honestly, between Breath of the Wild and RDR2, Breath of the Wild does EVERYTHING better. Breath of the Wild re-invented open-world gameplay. RDR2 on the other hand simply copied a lot of stuff from it (Breath of the Wild) but ultimately failed in its execution. While RDR2 is a wonderful experience overall, it's a chore to play which leads to frustration ever so often.

A good three months after its initial release I'd give RDR2 a score of somewhere between 85 and 90, but definitely not higher! It's funny because that low 70 score from this one review is looking to be the real and only 'honest' review-score for the game.

O.Z
21 minutes ago, Emmi said:

Honestly, between Breath of the Wild and RDR2, Breath of the Wild does EVERYTHING better. Breath of the Wild re-invented open-world gameplay. RDR2 on the other hand simply copied a lot of stuff from it (Breath of the Wild) but ultimately failed in its execution. While RDR2 is a wonderful experience overall, it's a chore to play which leads to frustration ever so often.

A good three months after its initial release I'd give RDR2 a score of somewhere between 85 and 90, but definitely not higher! It's funny because that low 70 score from this one review is looking to be the real and only 'honest' review-score for the game.

Breath of The Wild is for 12 year olds. 

RDR2 is for grown ups. 

Chore to play?! lol, speak for yourself, I’m nearing 300hours mark and 250 of them is after I finished the story mode and just doing free roaming. However I’m sure if I did the story mode over and over again it will become a chore, I never did like the story that much and I have no plans to give it a second playthrough... 

I am going to ignore your last paragraph as that is utter bollocks and you just come across as being bitter about the game. 

Jason

Suggesting that RDR2 copied a lot of stuff from BotW is a silly thing to say and sorta kills your argument tbh.

I mean, the two games deliver two very different types of open world so it's not a great comparison to begin with. BotW is very open ended and player driven, you're given a lot of tools and ways to journey through the game and content but it's up to the player to use them, it's a game that basically falls apart without player urgency. 

RDR2 on the other hand is is more of a scripted open world, instead of the player seeking out the content (although the game still has this in abundance) a lot of the content comes to you. The benefit of RDR2's style of open world is that it creates some pretty damn amazing moments and experiences for everyone, I mean we all saw the endless videos and clips of everyones first experience with X random NPC interaction, they are some of the games most memorable moments. On the flip side though I think this style of open world doesn't lend it's self very well to multiple playthroughs, but RDR2 has enough content where most players won't bother with second playthroughs.

Yes there's some survival elements that both games have but if RDR2 copied BotW on that front then BotW copied GTA:SA, lol.

Personally I never once found RDR2 a chore to play, I adored every minute and still love the way the game feels and plays (shooting aside, which could be a lot better). I also think the games side content is a new standard for open world games, not just the fantastic Stranger missions but also the random NPC interactions are some of the best dynamic story telling I think we've seen in games. The unique encounters hidden about the open world are great too.

That all being said I dunno why I just typed up this wall of text cause this is just Emmi going through one of his "Nintendo are the GOAT" phases again lol.

Emmi
4 hours ago, Jason said:

That all being said I dunno why I just typed up this wall of text cause this is just Emmi going through one of his "Nintendo are the GOAT" phases again lol.

cn-uDgTt.png

Jason

What was it last time? It was something Mario or Luigi related or something. You go away for a few months and come back preaching something Nintendo while sporting an Nintendo themed avatar. 😂

yer as predictable as the sunrise laddie 

American Venom
On 2/10/2019 at 3:21 AM, Emmi said:

I can't speak for Breath of the Wild as I've never played it, but even now it's February 2019 I still don't feel like it's reached that point where it's become a "chore". Like all games eventually they lose their shine, but the really good ones transcend time. I still play GTA IV on a regular basis after a decade of playing it.

For me GTA V became a chore much faster. After the "honey moon" phase ended its flaws started showing up everywhere and I kind of had to force myself to play it. I'm just about finished my second playthrough of Red Dead Redemption 2 and I'm amazed how much I missed the first time around.

Make no mistake it's the type of game that's intended for the long haul. That's why we have people with astonishing amounts of play time with 500 hours or more. I guess it comes down to taste, but I can see myself playing this game for years to come. Maybe not every single day, but coming back to it will always put a smile on my face.

O.Z
3 hours ago, American Venom said:

I can't speak for Breath of the Wild as I've never played it, but even now it's February 2019 I still don't feel like it's reached that point where it's become a "chore". Like all games eventually they lose their shine, but the really good ones transcend time. I still play GTA IV on a regular basis after a decade of playing it.

For me GTA V became a chore much faster. After the "honey moon" phase ended its flaws started showing up everywhere and I kind of had to force myself to play it. I'm just about finished my second playthrough of Red Dead Redemption 2 and I'm amazed how much I missed the first time around.

Make no mistake it's the type of game that's intended for the long haul. That's why we have people with astonishing amounts of play time with 500 hours or more. I guess it comes down to taste, but I can see myself playing this game for years to come. Maybe not every single day, but coming back to it will always put a smile on my face.

I did play BoTW and it wasn’t for me... 

I hadn’t played GTA IV for a good few years, just bought it again couple of months ago for One X and it’s still an amazing game, with much improved frame rate I have to say. Although it is starting to show its age nowadays I must say, especially after switching from RDR2. However the game is still  so much fun and dare I say it, it sometimes feels more alive than RDR2 to me. Also the law sticks up for you... and random npc’s misbehaving is something I never really see in RDR2 and that is disappointing.

But yeah the game is still legendary to this day. What a masterpiece 

PapasHota
On 2/9/2019 at 2:21 PM, Emmi said:

RDR2 sh*ts on breath of wild on anything but gameplay and thats because RDR2 plays like a absolute turd, the rest theres no comparison open world exploration, graphics, story, etc. RDR2 does thousands time better.

Dark Rosewood Varnish
20 hours ago, BLOOD said:

I sold the game months ago. Here is a must watch video:

Stopped watching this after about 6 seconds as he opened by making a tongue in cheek criticism about Arthur being able to skin an animal in a matter of seconds. Jus from that I know exactly what the rest of the video will entail.

Some people won't be happy until we get a game thats a complete full on replica of real life. It's the same as idiots complaining about game worlds being 50 times smaller than the real world locations they're based on.

Edited by Dark Rosewood Varnish

SneakyDeaky

Two weeks since taking a break after playing the game every day since launch. I put in 300 hours and two playthroughs and I still can't stop thinking about the game. It may not be perfect but it's going to be one of the most talked about and referenced games of all time.

All I'm thinking of right now is turning it on and riding across the plains, through Twin Stacks, listening to Arthur drunkenly sing. Has any other game done that? Not bloody likely.

HackMan128

Ugh, stop with that Red Dead sh!tion glorification.

Why you people play the game? Because you like gore and killing.

You like that freedom you can shot someone and see what will happen.

It is sad.

SneakyDeaky

Glad you left it before it would turn you into a zombie.

Edited by HackMan128

SneakyDeaky
20 minutes ago, HackMan128 said:

Ugh, stop with that Red Dead sh!tion glorification.

Why you people play the game? Because you like gore and killing.

You like that freedom you can shot someone and see what will happen.

It is sad.

SneakyDeaky

Glad you left it before it would turn you into a zombie.

Considering one of my major complaints is there's too much shooting, you are so wrong it's not even funny.

But tell us more, you know us so well.

Edited by SneakyDeaky

TheSantader25
9 hours ago, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

Stopped watching this after about 6 seconds as he opened by making a tongue in cheek criticism about Arthur being able to skin an animal in a matter of seconds. Jus from that I know exactly what the rest of the video will entail.

Some people won't be happy until we get a game thats a complete full on replica of real life. It's the same as idiots complaining about game worlds being 50 times smaller than the real world locations they're based on.

It was actually a good review. The title was misleading af. He gave the game an 8 and mostly praised it tbh. 

DEADWOODZ
17 hours ago, SneakyDeaky said:

Two weeks since taking a break after playing the game every day since launch. I put in 300 hours and two playthroughs and I still can't stop thinking about the game. It may not be perfect but it's going to be one of the most talked about and referenced games of all time.

All I'm thinking of right now is turning it on and riding across the plains, through Twin Stacks, listening to Arthur drunkenly sing. Has any other game done that? Not bloody likely.

Like all R* games with time, i get so much joy of just turning the game on sitting back and just being apart of their worlds. Either it being the GTA series...driving through the city listening to the soundtrack.

But there's something about this world they've created in Red Dead II, it's possibly the most open detailed world they've made yet, I'm exited for future projects!

Edited by DEADWOODZ

SneakyDeaky
6 hours ago, DEADWOODZ said:

Like all R* games with time, i get so much joy of just turning the game on sitting back and just being apart of their worlds. Either it being the GTA series...driving through the city listening to the soundtrack.

But there's something about this world they've created in Red Dead II, it's possibly the most open detailed world they've made yet, I'm exited for future projects!

Yeah I hear you. I think it was Lazlow, around the time of GTA 4's release, when he was on the Opie and Anthony show, I remember him saying something like "I walked through the studio recently and saw a bug tester just sitting in a car in an alley literally just listening to the radio. He was sat there just watching and listening, and it was then that I realized we had "won"

I think since then Rockstar have tried really hard to create lots of moments like that where you find yourself just watching and listening to the world they've created. With RDR 2 there is plenty of this, one great example being the cinematic camera, that allowed me to literally put the controller down and just watch the game, but still progress to where I wanted to go. Some people would criticize this as being too movie like but for me it doesn't interfere or take away from the gameplay at all, it just adds to the world and its presentation.

Edited by SneakyDeaky

O.Z
On 2/9/2019 at 9:12 PM, Emmi said:

cn-uDgTt.png

Nintendo definitely has some quality. However, Rockstar is by far the most influential game developer out there. The games speak for themselves... it’s quality is second to none

Jabalous

I like the subtle creepy vibe that this score gives off when it plays past midnight in some places, mostly in New Austin.

Edited by Jabalous

BenMitchell90

Okay, so I've had a time with this game, to say the very least. My first playthrough, while I certainly thought it was great, I also had some niggling issues with it. Namely that it felt kinda clunky and cumbersome, that the missions were linear, that kind of thing. Even after finishing it and being blown away by the story, I still had some reservations.

Welp, I started up a second playthrough not too long ago, and have been taking it even slower, and I've just got to say... I give up. I love you, Red Dead Redemption II

Sorry if this sounds gushy, but this might just not only be my favorite game I've ever played, but the best I've ever played (IMO). The story? Astonishingly good and moving. The gameplay? Fun as f*ck, and yeah it can feel a bit cumbersome and slow but spend a lot of time with it and it actually feels pretty smooth to me now. The graphics? Eyeball meltingly gorgeous (and I'm just playing it on the vanilla One). The music? OH MY GOD THE MUSIC. 

And I really can't praise the story and character work enough. Arthur Morgan might be my favorite video game protagonist ever, I don't think I've ever related and emphasized with a character so much before. All the character work was great, really. This is very much a prequel done nigh-perfectly, where it enhances the original story, and I also found its story structure and pacing a lot better. Not to bash the first game's story too much, but I feel it spent a little too much time spinning its wheels and trapped in the "straight man protagonist works with a lot of mostly wacky Rockstar characters" formula (mainly in New Austin, to be fair), but here I found just about everything more meaningful, more cohesive.

I also love how they approached the Hero Dies angle. They knew lots of people would suspect Arthur wouldn't be coming out of this story alive, so instead of trying to blindside us with his death, we instead spend quite a lot of time as a man who knows his days are numbered, and tries to make the best of what time he has left. I can't say I've ever experienced that in a game before, and I loved every minute of it, as heartwrenching as it was. And that last stand and battle with Micah on the mountain (I chose to help John)... oh my God how incredible. "GOD DAMN YOU BASTARDS!" and "You're My Brother" kicks in... I still get chills just thinking about it.

Really, as much as I've criticized GTA V in the past, I've really come to appreciate it a lot, especially since the last time I've posted here (which has been... quite a while O.o). But even with that said, RDR II just blew it out of the water.

Dark Rosewood Varnish

Anyone else share the sentiments that being on the ranch at Beechers Hope after you finish American Venom is one of the best parts of the game? 

Obviously not much is going on as the main story/epilogue has been wrapped up but I just get a really peaceful and serene vibe from walking around the ranch at this point. We all know whats to come but in these moments John, Abigail, Jack and Uncle don't have a worry in the world. They've got a beautiful home/ranch, large piece of land, new found wealth, the assumption that no one is after them and ultimately the piece of mind that Arthurs plans for them have worked out.....for now anyway.

Yeah we all know in a few years it will go to sh*t but for now we can just enjoy our new life on the ranch and embrace the fresh start. Waking up in the morning and having a coffee on the ledge overlooking the ranch, working up a sweat doing daily ranch chores under the crisp blue skies, venturing just outside of the ranch and taking in the large open spaces of Great Plains observing the Buffalo, sitting around the campfire at night underneath the star filled skies while enjoying a beer or just going on trips every once in a while to NA, Lemoyne, the Grizzlies etc. knowing we've got this amazing ranch to come back to.

I was one of those people that hated going back to John after Arthur at first but during my 3 playthroughs I've really come to appreciate playing as John again in and after the epilogue. 

Edited by Dark Rosewood Varnish

9 hours ago, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

Anyone else share the sentiments that being on the ranch at Beechers Hope after you finish American Venom is one of the best parts of the game? 

Obviously not much is going on as the main story/epilogue has been wrapped up but I just get a really peaceful and serene vibe from walking around the ranch at this point. We all know whats to come but in these moments John, Abigail, Jack and Uncle don't have a worry in the world. They've got a beautiful home/ranch, large piece of land, new found wealth, the assumption that no one is after them and ultimately the piece of mind that Arthurs plans for them have worked out.....for now anyway.

Yeah we all know in a few years it will go to sh*t but for now we can just enjoy our new life on the ranch and embrace the fresh start. Waking up in the morning and having a coffee on the ledge overlooking the ranch, working up a sweat doing daily ranch chores under the crisp blue skies, venturing just outside of the ranch and taking in the large open spaces of Great Plains observing the Buffalo, sitting around the campfire at night underneath the star filled skies while enjoying a beer or just going on trips every once in a while to NA, Lemoyne, the Grizzlies etc. knowing we've got this amazing ranch to come back to.

I was one of those people that hated going back to John after Arthur at first but during my 3 playthroughs I've really come to appreciate playing as John again in and after the epilogue. 

In my reality John did not die ;)

Edited by 0223998743

RyuNova
4 hours ago, 0223998743 said:

In my reality John did not die ;)

In my reality Arthur never got sick. Strauss can f*cking sit on that ledge forever and Downes can keep shouting in Valentine, I aint gong anywhere near either of them.

40 minutes ago, RyuNova said:

In my reality Arthur never got sick. Strauss can f*cking sit on that ledge forever and Downes can keep shouting in Valentine, I aint gong anywhere near either of them.

Yes yes I can confirm :)