3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Spider-Vice

RDR2 Appreciation/Reaction Thread

Spider-Vice

This is a positive thread. Use the "Constructive Criticism" thread to complain about the game.

Have a question? Please use the "RDR2 Quick Questions" thread.

Message added by Spider-Vice

Morgan Ranch Dressing

Beat the game a couple of weeks ago. Truly is a masterpiece.

American Venom
On 1/24/2019 at 7:56 AM, Jabalous said:

True. Redemption 2 is like a spiritual successor to San Andreas in terms of how the story takes you to different regions/states as you progress, from the snowy mountains, down to the open fields of the heartlands, to the humid swamps and finally to the forests-rich and hilly areas in the north. Redemption was also like this, but with less variety and a smaller scope. It appears that R*'s stories work the best this way, at least for me. 

I like though that it genuinely feels like they're on the run.

With each part of the map things get progressively worse and worse and the gang slowly crumbles from within. By the time they get to Beaver Hollow everything is in shambles. I was thinking in another playthrough to never pay off a bounty, but I'm not sure if this would just be a pain (like the psychotic gangs in GTA III).

Madvillain

I was looking at screenshots I have taken but I don't remember taking this one when I was in Red Dead Online.

Instead it looks like the ending scene from Avengers: Infinity War when Thanos sits at the porch

Spoiler

sqdNt2w.jpg

Rafae S
On 1/24/2019 at 11:42 PM, PapasHota said:

to the people on ps4 heres something useful to know your RDR2 playtime https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/campaigns/2018/wrap-up/

Wow thank you for this, this is actually really cool.

980 hours on GTAV just last year alone and 196 on RDR2 after two months. Not too shabby lol

Edited by Rafae S

Jutland

I am so impressed with this game. IMO it has not just matched the pre-launch hype, it exceeds the hype. It is better than any game has any right to be.

Currently I am in New Austin in the post-epilog free roam. Not having played RDR1, this is entirely new territory to me, and I am enjoying it. Turned up at Thieves’ Landing to find it full of Del Lobos. Blew them away. Wandered a bit further and found a dinosaur skull crest thing, the second one I have found (no guide or anything to help me). Then saw the sperm whale bones, and watched John make a note about them in the journal.

Saw a little chapel on the horizon. There’s a guy there chucking bodies into a pit in the ground. ‘Cholera’ he says. Then he sets fire to them. ‘Cholera in Armadillo.’ I ride north and see Armadillo in the distance. There are huge fires blazing. I ride into the town and watch the cholera pyres. Then a sandstorm blows in, and the sand and the wind and the fire makes it look a like a scene of hell itself, straight from Dante, like the apocalypse has come. 

Cutter De Blanc

Yessir I love Armadillo

RedDadRedemption

Been playing this game every day since it came out and today i see a cougar mauling a racoon then eating it for the first time, what other animals does the cougar attacks 

JC_HUMBLE
2 minutes ago, RedDadRedemption said:

Been playing this game every day since it came out and today i see a cougar mauling a racoon then eating it for the first time, what other animals does the cougar attacks 

I saw it hunting a deer once 

IG_

I can't believe we still have no news on the official release of RDR2's soundtrack. Even the songs that I thought were licensed (Such as the House Building song) are ORIGINAL WORKS. I don't think Rockstar licensed a single music for this game, everything was originally created for RDR2, even that song by D'ANGELO. Really just emphasizes the scope of this project, absolutely everything was crafted by Rockstar. Nothing was just licensed or outsourced.

Also I just re-discovered this one and I'm loving it.

I learned that the main instrument in this score is a SAXOPHONE played by Colin Stenson. Totally blew my mind. Hearing this when playing the game I thought it was some sort of electronically created notes.

Edited by IG_

Motorik

RDR 2 is a masterpiece. Like I said in another forum, it's the most complete Rockstar game. And it's not vast for the sake of beign vast, but it's really epic and has a personality of it's own. I remember that I bought the PS4 because I wanted to play GTA 5 and Batman: Arkham Knight, but Red Dead 2 ended up being my favorite PS4 game. I really liked Red Dead 1, but I always thought that it needed something else to be amazing. Whatever "something else" is, RDR 2 has it, and I love it because of that.

9,5; maybe a 10 out of 10.

Edited by Motorik

Jason

https://www.shacknews.com/article/109679/exclusive-interview-campfire-chat-with-the-stars-of-red-dead-redemption-2

Great interview with the cast, chocked with interesting tidbits. This one in particular was interesting and goes with what I thought about Dutch's arc too:

Shacknews: Ben, do you believe that Dutch had good intentions and things got away from him, or was he looking out for himself instead of the gang? Where did he go wrong, do you think?

Ben (Dutch van der Linde): I’ll tell you, it’s rare that you get a character as complicated as Dutch, and one of the things I like about him is that I’ll get questions on social media about what Dutch was thinking. I like that it’s kind of up to each player to decide. I can tell you in playing the character, the choices I was making as an actor were that Dutch was motivated by a noble drive, that he did believe very much in a greater good and he believed in it quite sincerely.

I think the story does a pretty good job of letting us know how important a figure Hosea was in Dutch’s life, but I also think that one of the things we learn about Dutch is that throughout all of his bluster, he’s very dependent upon the people around him to keep him on the right track. I think that while his goals may have always been noble, losing Hosea at a time when they were in such dire straits Dutch no longer knew who to trust or who to believe. Micah, I think, saw an opportunity. I like to believe that Dutch, all the way until the end, was a man who did his best to be a great one and unfortunately he didn’t even come close.

Edited by Jason

AnthMUFC-Champs

RDR 2 is the best game I have ever played, I've actually been away from this Forum for a while but I had to comeback to post this. I think the Red Dead series has even surpassed Grand Theft Auto in my opinion, largely because of the masterpiece that is RDR 2 🤤

Jabalous

These days whenever I turn on my PS4 and play Redemption 2, I just go around exploring, soaking in the atmosphere and visiting the gang's old camps which bring back memories with the sounds from the past that play in John's mind. It's a subtle thing, but it truly feels sad, especially when hearing Arthur, and gives each camp a character and an oppressive feeling. On top of that, just exploring and looking at the details and the very natural-looking world have yet to become obsolete. It's just a pleasure to exist in that world and everything on the screen looks finely tuned and with a purpose. 

Edited by Jabalous

DEADWOODZ

This is the beauty of a R* game, just existing in that world! I could spend hours just being in one region for example being up Roanoke Ridge just setting up camp in the woods listening to the creek of the trees the leaves falling down...incredible!

Edited by DEADWOODZ

Bare
2 hours ago, Jabalous said:

the sounds from the past that play in John's mind. 

what

is that actually a thing? i havent played the story since i completed it and online came out but i might have to see this

DEADWOODZ
20 minutes ago, Bare said:

what

is that actually a thing? i havent played the story since i completed it and online came out but i might have to see this

Yeah, head on out to Horseshoe Overlook or other camps.

VolumeRX

Peopleeeeeeeeee! It's been a long long time! missed y'all! so strange to come back after all the time, I'm used to waiting and visiting this page every day a few times, after the game came out and I almost 100% it, I didn't visit, missed this, remember waiting with everyone for RDR2 news and getting hyped with people. good times!

chilleverest

One of those few games that actually made me realize, or at least made me more aware of my life's situation. I choose to be nice, regardless of people's disposition, trying to find peace knowing i don't know what my future holds, always trying to find my happiness but don't know what or where it really is, trying to escape the cold (Sweden), to be somewhere warm and sunny, nicer people and all, but still doubting my plans/actions....during the last ride, i was sat in my couch alone knowing very well the man could be my own reflection, only that, i still have to find my share of peace.

Life's a journey, and i hope we all find our inner peace someday. I'm glad, thankful and lucky to play this masterpiece knowing there are people out there who can't afford the game, let alone the consoles. 

Edited by chilleverest

Cutter De Blanc

I ended up riding in cinematic view back to Shady Belle from Tumbleweed.  Kept my hands off the controller for the most part. Long ass ride. Really feels miles and miles away. Even trying to avoid all distractions I had to stop about 4 times to kill people who'd crashed into me. 

I feel like I had a point here, but I really just liked taking the trip, it took about 30 minutes. Kept the horse at a gallop, but never went full tilt. Just a nice experience hitting all those vastly different biomes in the same trip. 

Morgan

Well, after 101 days after the release I completed the story today. It was a wild but fantastic ride. Arthur was the best protagonist I ever played. Very emotional when he found out he was sick. Even hit me harder when he said he was afraid...in real life we will all feel the same when the time comes. His last ride, the last look to the sunrise...my god. I don't have words for it.  He deserved a better ending and future.

On the other hand; it felt good that john was able to pick up his family life. Knowing what his future will be makes me sad tho

Dark Rosewood Varnish

Amazing game on so many different levels. Funny how the slow paced nature of the game is a point of critique for so many people but for me thats where the game shines.

Just doing simple unscripted things outside of the main story has created so many memorable moments for me. During chapter 3 getting up in the morning, drinking coffee and having a cigarette by the camps lake then taking the canoe out to the islands opposite to hunt Iguanas and ducks for their animal fat (to craft explosive ammunition). I'd literally make this a daily habit and found it to be incredibly therapeutic. 

I've got a few favourite hunting spots that I'll just got to, set up camp and hunt for ages. Favourite spots being Owanjila Lake, Cattail Pond, along the river bed just south of Brandywine Drop, up by Lake Isobella, those broad plains with the stream north of Mt Shann and of course the whole of the Dakota river, probably my favourite river in the game. 

Illegal hunting is also a favourite activity of mine to do. If I need a perfect cow, sheep or pig hide I'll sneak onto a farm during the night, scope the place with binoculars to observe any ranch hands. Once the coast is clear I'll sneak into the pen and get a silent kill on a cow/pig/sheep by using the lasso and knife then sneak back out with the pelt undetected. First time I done this was one of the most satisfying things I've done playing a game by Rockstar. 

I also like robbing homesteads but just random ones you can find in the wilderness outside of the 7 you can do for the achievement. Again I prefer doing this in a "non lethal" way which involves lassoing and hogtying any occupants, dumping  them inside the property so they cant raise the alarm and letting them watch as I ransack their place dry. Again just really satisfying and fun to do. 

Also I think the game world deserves a sh*t load of accolades by itself. Simply the best open world every created for a video game. Such diversity and detail it really is something to marvel over. It's almost like every region of the world feels like a new game because it's so diverse. 

LeonVegaSuarez

Finished the gambler challenges. I will never play dominoes again in my life. 

Mafia Assassin®

I still enjoy dominoes (and blackjack) but the gamblings challenges are really stupid, probably never doing again.

RyuNova

I stopped playing the game after i finished the Main Story (not the Epilogues) because of time restraints IRL, other games and then the excellent Christmas weeks happened in GTA and I got other games for Christmas blah blah...

Anyway I started playing again recently and I was blown the f*ck away by how good the graphics are in this game, not just the clarity but the character models.

The Odyssey

I love (and somewhat hate) how much this game makes you genuinely miss playing as Arthur. Don't get me wrong, I love playing as John, but side activities such as hunting, fishing, studying animals, picking herbs feels kinda out of character for him. Arthur definitely seems like the type to appreciate that sort of life a lot more, while John is more suit for the ranching life.

And that's what I love about this game. Both characters feel so dynamic to play as and have distinct personalities. In GTA V the character switching mechanic felt underutilised because the game never really gave us the desire to switch characters, it more feels like switching between different skins of the same character. If only you could switch between Arthur and John... 

I'm not really one to replay games, but this one may be an exception. I just really miss Arthur. What an incredibly written character. 

Edited by The Odyssey

American Venom
1 hour ago, The Odyssey said:

I love (and somewhat hate) how much this game makes you genuinely miss playing as Arthur. Don't get me wrong, I love playing as John, but side activities such as hunting, fishing, studying animals, picking herbs feels kinda out of character for him. Arthur definitely seems like the type to appreciate that sort of life a lot more, while John is more suit for the ranching life.

When I first played the epilogue it made me feel lost. I mean I really like John, but losing Arthur was worse for me than losing John in Red Dead Redemption IMO. 

I know it's just a game, but it's pretty special when it provokes those kind of feelings. It just made me feel hollow. Whereas in GTA V I couldn't have given the slightest f*ck about Michael or Trevor dying. 

RyuNova

Players - *Plays RDR1* We love John! Why you take him from us, let us play as him again!
R* - Hold my Beer *gives us Arthur*
Players - We love Arthur, John is sh*t. Give us Arthur!
R* The f*ck you want?!

Dark Rosewood Varnish
15 hours ago, American Venom said:

When I first played the epilogue it made me feel lost. I mean I really like John, but losing Arthur was worse for me than losing John in Red Dead Redemption IMO. 

I know it's just a game, but it's pretty special when it provokes those kind of feelings. It just made me feel hollow. Whereas in GTA V I couldn't have given the slightest f*ck about Michael or Trevor dying. 

Really goes to show the difference in the quality of characters in GTA V and RDR1/2. Arthur dying disappointed and pissed me off to the point where I didn't even wanna play through the epilogue once I found out he was 100% deceased. I took it better during my second playthorugh and actually gained some enjoyment playing as John again in New Austin but ultimately I still think it was a bad decision to take Arthur away from us.