3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Dudu RDRII

SPOILER:HEAVY SPOILERS - The Ending

Spider-Vice

YOU ARE VISITING A THREAD WITH VERY HEAVY SPOILERS.

SCROLL DOWN ONLY IF YOU ARE SURE YOU WANT TO READ DETAILS ABOUT THE ENDING OF RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Message added by Spider-Vice

saintsrow

In RDR1, when I realized that there is no real benefit and no life progression to playing as Jack Martson in RDR1, I saved the game just before the miserable cutscene boss battle ending, and continued to play as John, just roaming the countryside, hunting and doing bounties and random events, just basically living in the world, hearing his voice commenting on things.  

So, is there an optimal point in the RDR2 story, where I can branch off and continue to replay and explore forever as Arthur, while he's on top, basically abandoning the gang and going my own way?  I'm suspecting not.  This has probably already been asked and answered here.  The RDR2 ending is probably supposed to dash and trash our emotions, leaving game replay as a total dead end, so we are driven to Online.  

Thoughts?  

Edited by saintsrow

Mikovitch

^Anytime in Chapter 2 before you get coughed on, I would say? :)

LeonVegaSuarez
2 minutes ago, saintsrow said:

In RDR1, when I realized that there is no real benefit and no life progression to playing as Jack Martson in RDR1, I saved the game just before the miserable cutscene boss battle ending, and continued to play as John, just roaming the countryside, hunting and doing bounties and random events, just basically living in the world, hearing his voice commenting on things.  

So, is there an optimal point in the RDR2 story, where I can branch off and continue to replay and explore forever as Arthur, while he's on top, basically abandoning the gang and going my own way?  I'm suspecting not.  This has probably already been asked and answered here.  The RDR2 ending is probably supposed to dash and trash our emotions, leaving game replay as a total dead end, so we are driven to Online.  

Thoughts?  

I wondered about the same thing and after some trying out I came to a conclusion. 

In my opinion the best point to make a "healthy Arthur" save is in chapter 4.

Details:

Do every story mission EXCEPT "American Fathers II". This way you will have everyone at your camp, including Dutch, and no missions starting at your camp, which means you can move around freely.

The one remaining story mission on your map, American Fathers II, starts near the oil fields in the heartlands, so you can easily avoid it. If you complete this mission it unlocks the bank robbery in Saint Denis, which starts in your camp. 

saintsrow
15 minutes ago, Mikovitch said:

^Anytime in Chapter 2 before you get coughed on, I would say? :)

Hah!  I only vaguely remember that, and wondered ever so slightly what the hell that was about, then completely forgot. 

Thank goodness for spoilers, so I know what a dumb, random thing has brought down one of the greatest protags in Rockstar history.  So much for symbolism, and for the great story arcs of sowing the seed of one's own destruction.  

I'm still at the beginning of Chapter 3, so I don't know what's coming, but I would wonder logically if Arthur ever coughs on the others at camp and becomes Patient Zero for the whole gang?  I guess not.  

13 minutes ago, LeonVegaSuarez said:

I wondered about the same thing and after some trying out I came to a conclusion. 

In my opinion the best point to make a "healthy Arthur" save is in chapter 4.

Details:

Do every story mission EXCEPT "American Fathers II". This way you will have everyone at your camp, including Dutch, and no missions starting at your camp, which means you can move around freely.

The one remaining story mission on your map, American Fathers II, starts near the oil fields in the heartlands, so you can easily avoid it. If you complete this mission it unlocks the bank robbery in Saint Denis, which starts in your camp. 

Thanks a bunch, man, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.  👍👍

Edited by saintsrow

NikosUncle
15 minutes ago, saintsrow said:

Hah!  I only vaguely remember that, and wondered ever so slightly what the hell that was about, then completely forgot. 

Thank goodness for spoilers, so I know what a dumb, random thing has brought down one of the greatest protags in Rockstar history.  So much for symbolism, and for the great story arcs of sowing the seed of one's own destruction.  

I'm still at the beginning of Chapter 3, so I don't know what's coming, but I would wonder logically if Arthur ever coughs on the others at camp and becomes Patient Zero for the whole gang?  I guess not.  

Why would you read spoilers before finishing the story yourself?

Nulla Lex Ink.
16 hours ago, wagszilla said:

There's 3 endings.

I think these are the 3 scenarios:

High honor, help John

Reveal hidden contents

Arthur dies on the mountaintop staring into the sunset after telling Dutch and Micah that they lost and he won

Not peak honor, help John

Reveal hidden contents

Arthur dies on top of the mountain shot in the head

Bad honor, go back for money

Reveal hidden contents

Results in Micah stabbing Arthur in the back at camp

Like jje1000 said, there is a fourth option, which is high honor when going back for the money. I replayed the mission yesterday expecting to see the bad honor cutscene when I went back for the money, but it was actually pretty different.

Spoiler

I sort of enjoy it, because Arthur slashes Micah's face up pretty good. I still see Arthur helping John with high honor as the "canon" and "right" option, but seeing Micah get his face so cut up was satisfying. Seeing him get pummeled by someone dying of tuberculosis is still the best though, because it proves just the kind of man Micah was.

I have an unrelated question that I'll also be spoiler marking.

Spoiler

Anyone know what happened to Karen yet? She just kinda disappeared, and I haven't been able to find anything about it online. Arthur's journal doesn't even mention her. It doesn't mention Swanson either, but he apparently appears in the cutscene where you see Monroe off if you didn't do the side missions for Dorkins and Sister Calderon. Sucks that you don't have an alternative thing where you can see him off, but oh well. Everyone is accounted for except for Karen. What gives? Did she just get real drunk one day, wander off into the woods and succumb to the elements?

Dudu RDRII

Arthur got tuberculosis from Thomas Downes, when he coughed blood on him before dying.

Watch this, Arthur's words on the final scene are pretty emotional, he is definitely not only the best and most developed character of Rockstar Games... but the whole videogame's history!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aOTs2GIoIw

FunGaming
20 hours ago, saintsrow said:

Thanks a bunch, man, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.  👍👍

Spoiler

I made my save to play as arthur right after Urban Pleasures, it will have dutch in his room upstairs on the balcony so you can easily avoid the trigger to start the mission while still roaming the entire world andstill enjoy the camp. My other save is in the camp close to Rhodes right after mission Magicians for Sport, kept that save because i like the camp the most out of all of them since you have the boat available at camp to go fishing and all, didnt feel for a chapter 6 save since he was already too sick for my taste of fun. With the 2 i have i can still enjoy roaming around as Arthur. I hope there is a cheat that will let us turn john back into Arthur.

wagszilla

Oh cool, you can wear Arthur's clothes if you want.

Hey... look at me... I am the Arthur now

xmchristopherx

Just beat the story. Stayed away from spoilers as much as possible but didn’t wanna put the story off too much and have it spoiled. Great story. Great game. After you find out Arthur is sick and that it’s part of the endgame and not just something you can take care of, the game got pretty emotional. It was tough finishing knowing that his days were numbered. I know its a game but rockstar did a great job with making this world and those people seem real. Idk how else this game coulda ended. Great ending, but I do understand the gripe with another protagonist dying. Especially since I feel Arthur is the best protagonist I’ve ever played in any game. 

saintsrow

Rockstar's working title:  "Red Dead Man Walking"  😕

Cutter De Blanc

I have to say, I absolutely would prefer a crappier ending if it meant being able to have Arthur back. I don't care if it even makes sense, have him kill Micah's shady ass, get the money, and run off to New Austin to live out the rest of his days.

I really liked the ending but I just can't bring myself to play as dorky ass John Marston after playing as badass Arthur Morgan

Maybe I'll eventually play the epilogue

Shadowfennekin

I'd just settle for New Game Plus.

You can play a new game as Arthur with all the unlocks, clothing, weapons, etc from your old game.

It'd be much better than a "Play as Arthur" cheat. A lot of modern games are doing this formula; God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ass Creed, Far Cry.... it'd be cool if R* joined in on the trend, especially as this game is more like an RPG like those other games.

Cutter De Blanc

I just want to go to new Austin so I can get Arthur that Gila Monster hat in the trapper. He looks stylish in it.

Outlaw from the West
1 minute ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

I just want to go to new Austin so I can get Arthur that Gila Monster hat in the trapper. He looks stylish in it.

Unless there’s a cheat code to freeze the wanted level, you’re sol

Cutter De Blanc
2 minutes ago, winter.ak said:

Arthur gets killed in New Austin regardless of wanted status. The Decrease wanted level cheat has no effect on the phantom gunman who kills you when you cross the border

Outlaw from the West
Just now, Cutter De Blanc said:

Arthur gets killed in New Austin regardless of wanted status. The Decrease wanted level cheat has no effect on the phantom gunman who kills you when you cross the border

Entering NA gets you killed? I was like half a foot from entering MacFarlane’s Ranch before getting killed, and that’s waay beyond the NA/WE border 

oCrapaCreeper
7 minutes ago, winter.ak said:

It wouldn't matter since it appears that John Wick himself kills you miles away when you get past Tall Trees.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

Cutter De Blanc
2 minutes ago, winter.ak said:

Entering NA gets you killed? I was like half a foot from entering MacFarlane’s Ranch before getting killed, and that’s waay beyond the NA/WE border 

You can survive for about ten seconds, but something that doesn't show up on the map starts shooting at you when you enter, and as soon as it hits, you die

this has been my experience every time I've tried to enter as Arthur without fail

Outlaw from the West
2 minutes ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

You can survive for about ten seconds, but something that doesn't show up on the map starts shooting at you when you enter, and as soon as it hits, you die

this has been my experience every time I've tried to enter as Arthur without fail

Smh that’s whack, I got the strategy guide that shows all the locations for animals, if there’s any gila in the RDR2 side of the map I’ll let you know

Gallows
5 hours ago, winter.ak said:

Smh that’s whack, I got the strategy guide that shows all the locations for animals, if there’s any gila in the RDR2 side of the map I’ll let you know

Have only found Gila in NA

éX-Driver

Anyone know what clothes best ape what John wears in the storyline? As it is, practically all the clothing I’m aware of only really fits Arthur. So trying to put a nonstandard outfit on John in the postgame only really serves to make him look more like Arthur. It’s a real shame none of John’s story outfits are available in the epilogue. The only thing I’ve found is the shotgun coat, which is [other than the colour options] the same as the grey duster John wears in much of the game.

same question for his hairstyles as well. In the postgame, you’re only given the same style options as Arthur. But in both the main game and Redemption 1, John has a completely different hairstyle. He tends to keep his fringe on his forehead, and his side hair over his ears. I can’t see that option anywhere in the Epilogue. 

Edited by éX-Driver
Addendum

HockeyMike24
42 minutes ago, éX-Driver said:

Anyone know what clothes best ape what John wears in the storyline? As it is, practically all the clothing I’m aware of only really fits Arthur. So trying to put a nonstandard outfit on John in the postgame only really serves to make him look more like Arthur. It’s a real shame none of John’s story outfits are available in the epilogue. The only thing I’ve found is the shotgun coat, which is [other than the colour options] the same as the grey duster John wears in much of the game.

same question for his hairstyles as well. In the postgame, you’re only given the same style options as Arthur. But in both the main game and Redemption 1, John has a completely different hairstyle. He tends to keep his fringe on his forehead, and his side hair over his ears. I can’t see that option anywhere in the Epilogue. 

Yeah, you basically play as a John wannabe Arthur. Everything customizable is all made for Arthur. I just left John in his default clothes

phipfwe76
On 10/28/2018 at 12:49 PM, ThereIsNoBathroom said:

Post epilogue ending (Ending credits)

Uncut version with credits:

The end credits were beautifully done, but there's two I can't figure out. 

Who is the lady at the desk at 1:52, and who are the people boarding the boat at 4:13? I don't recognize any of them.

Edited by phipfwe76

SeniorDerp
2 hours ago, phipfwe76 said:

The end credits were beautifully done, but there's two I can't figure out. 

Who is the lady at the desk at 1:52, and who are the people boarding the boat at 4:13? I don't recognize any of them.

1:52 I believe is Mary-Beth.

4:13 is the the wife of Thoman Downes and their son (edited to be more clear)

Edited by SeniorDerp

phipfwe76
4 minutes ago, SeniorDerp said:

1:52 I believe is Mary-Beth.

4:13 is the Thomas Downes Wife and Son

Okay, Mary-Beth makes sense. She just has her hair up as opposed to how it was during the game.

If it's an epilogue, shouldn't Thomas Downes be dead?

el capito
1 hour ago, phipfwe76 said:

Okay, Mary-Beth makes sense. She just has her hair up as opposed to how it was during the game.

Thomas Downe is dead, thats just his wife and son

SeniorDerp
1 hour ago, phipfwe76 said:

As el capito says. I edited my post to be more clear

phipfwe76
12 minutes ago, SeniorDerp said:

As el capito says. I edited my post to be more clear

Well, I fell dumb now. The kid grows up fast! Thanks for the answers.

Edited by phipfwe76

Journey_95
On 11/5/2018 at 2:17 AM, saintsrow said:

Thoughts?  

Stop with the silly conspiracy theories. It's not really different than RDR1, you can just pick up an earlier save and continue with Arthur if you are that bothered by John now. Ridiculous to think Rockstar did this to "drive" us to Online..people loved John Marston and this was a great way of setting up RDR1

On 11/7/2018 at 7:51 AM, Cutter De Blanc said:

I have to say, I absolutely would prefer a crappier ending if it meant being able to have Arthur back. I don't care if it even makes sense, have him kill Micah's shady ass, get the money, and run off to New Austin to live out the rest of his days.

I really liked the ending but I just can't bring myself to play as dorky ass John Marston after playing as badass Arthur Morgan

Maybe I'll eventually play the epilogue

People said the same about RDR1's ending..just that they were praising John and trashing Jack & now suddenly people have a problem with John? lol I definitely wouldn't change the ending, it's the right one for Arthur's arc. It's good to see Rockstar stick with their vision

Edited by Journey_95