3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Dudu RDRII

SPOILER:HEAVY SPOILERS - The Ending

Spider-Vice

YOU ARE VISITING A THREAD WITH VERY HEAVY SPOILERS.

SCROLL DOWN ONLY IF YOU ARE SURE YOU WANT TO READ DETAILS ABOUT THE ENDING OF RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Message added by Spider-Vice

oCrapaCreeper
6 hours ago, justinwitdabush said:

They kept setting up that he needed a "vacation" presumably to New Austin to treat his tuberculosis. Also the plot point of the Indian chief giving Arthur herbs to treat his illness doesn't go anywhere because he never uses them. It's also annoying that Arthur is robbed of actually killing ANY of the antagonists. 

There was no "treating" Arthur's Tuberculosis. Telling someone they had Tuberculosis during that time is the equivalent of telling a person they had HIV in the 80's, medicine just wasn't developed enough yet to even prolong the person's life in any meaningful amount. Arthur just said he wanted a vacation so he could die in peace. Also if I recall, the herbs are used to craft snakeoil.

Arthur was sentenced to death as soon as he was diagnosed. But it is very important part of his character development, he knew he was going to die soon and couldn't stop it, and began questioning what he has done with his entire life and what he needs to do in the short time he has left, which ultimately ties into his redemption.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

jje1000
19 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

There was no "treating" Arthur's Tuberculosis. Telling someone they had Tuberculosis during that time is the equivalent of telling a person they had HIV in the 80's, medicine just wasn't developed enough yet to even prolong the person's life. Arthur just said he wanted a vacation so he could die in peace.

Arthur was sentenced to death as soon as he was diagnosed. But it is very important part of his character development, he knew he was going to die soon and couldn't stop it, and began questioning what he has done with his entire life and what he needs to do in the short time he has left, which ultimately ties into his redemption.

It's true that Tuberculosis was untreatable back then, but the doctors's advice of 'taking it easy' and moving some place warm and dry actually helps in slowing down the progression oft the disease. Doc Holliday got this disease at around 21 and managed to live on for another 15 years by doing exactly that.

However, I'm entirely sure that Arthur putting himself through all that action, physical trauma, stress (and humidity) for Dutch and the gang is what made the disease to progress much faster than usual. In fact, I would say that Guarma probably was the major thing that advanced the disease so far from its early stages.

Spoiler

This is also why Arthur's last words to Dutch are that much more poignant- when he says "I gave you all I had... I did", it really does mean that.

Edited by jje1000

Cutter De Blanc

Wow, Arthur died and I really don't want to play as John. Some stupid ranch mission? Trying to live the good life? I worked to get my honor down. I really don't want to play as John again. He's been really unlikable this whole game and now they want me to play as him with more missions? Ugh. No thanks. I'd prefer to play as Dutch. Hell, even Micah. Glad I kept a save before the end of every chapter.

Storywise Arthur's death sentence was brilliant.

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

volta2001

I just finished Arthur’s story and I’m now John. Does playing with good/bad honor effect the ending? I thought maybe if I had high honor he wouldn’t get TB.  Does the final mission choice to get the money or not effect the outcome? 

I’m happy I made a ton of saves so I can continue as Arthur for a long while. I was also worried that the new character would be Sadie, but I guess not?

Edited by volta2001

wagszilla

There's 3 endings.

I think these are the 3 scenarios:

High honor, help John

Arthur dies on the mountaintop staring into the sunset after telling Dutch and Micah that they lost and he won

Not peak honor, help John

Arthur dies on top of the mountain shot in the head

Bad honor, go back for money

Results in Micah stabbing Arthur in the back at camp

volta2001

@wagszilla thanks for the info.

i must say the ending really had my emotions going more so than any game ever, when Arthur is riding back to camp with that weird synth ballad playing; you knew "this is over" . R* really crossed over into legitimate cinematic storytelling with this game. landmark game.  so sad to see Arthur go though, replaced by a toothpick John. But it was really special realizing what was going on and taking control of John on that wagon for the first time. All these years have been well worth the wait. Bravo. Cant wait to see whats to come. 👍

Cutter De Blanc

This really cheapened my trip to tumbleweed. f*ck you John Marston. f*ck you and your epilogue, I don't care.

jje1000
59 minutes ago, wagszilla said:

Bad honor, go back for money

Hide contents

Results in Micah stabbing Arthur in the back at camp

14 minutes ago, AndyGanteks said:

edit: Hm, nevermind, there isn't a 4th after all.

I thought there's two endings for the Go Back for Money ending,

Spoiler

The low honor one where he gets stabbed by Micah

And the high honor one where he dies staring at light streaming through the forest canopy

Crrooss

Hey, I finished the game yesterday but still don't understand one thing.

Polygon in their article from september wrote about "Bank Heist" in Blackwater, which failed and as a result whole Dutch gang has to escape north in ine mountains (where the game starts). (https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/20/17876570/red-dead-redemption-2-gameplay-ps4-xbox-one-rockstar). I'm talking especially about that paragraph https://i.imgur.com/AF7CmLi.jpg

From what I understand there were not any bank robbery in Blackwater. Dutch gang escapes north as a result of failed ferry heist, not a bank one. So I don't know what exactly Polygon saw. Maybe Rockstar showed them Valentine/Saint Denis bank robbery and they thought that was a Blackwater? Any ideas?

Cutter De Blanc

I'm not playing the epilogue, just reloading my last save as Arthur.

Lonely-Martin

Like RDR last, I think the ending here proving a mixed bag will only help the game. 

I thought RDR was the most memorable ending to a game story I'd played. But this one has much more to it with the honour having an effect on the end scenes for Arthur too.

Gives us all so many ways to play this after for replayability and with all these other activities like random events being able yo be played out in many ways, or how we interact with the NPC's too. 

If online turns into a dud in any way for me, this campaign mode is going to give me very much entertainment.

I think I'm really starting to appreciate that this is just that bit better than San Andreas for me now. I just can't see me bored of this game for a very long, long time. 

If ever!

Spider-Vice

Rockstar have really gone all out for this game's soundtrack. It's so good, and so fitting.

TheLordMarvel
5 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

Rockstar have really gone all out for this game's soundtrack. It's so good, and so fitting.

Especially with this particular song.

Edit: I don't know why, but i Thought you posted the full soundtrack. Now it seems odd I sent you the song you just posted. 😂😂

Edited by TheLordMarvel
Hmm

TheSantader25

Everytime Arthur Coughed I felt sick myself as well. It was so hard seeing him like that. 

Spider-Vice

Isn't that the same one? :p  

Edit: Yep. :lol:  

Edited by Spider-Vice

TheLordMarvel

Haha my bad! 😂😂

It's a song worth being posted twice anyway. ;)

HockeyMike24

Just finished the Epilogue!

I do hope we see more of Arthur, whether it's DLC or another game. I feel like we really didn't get to find out much about him and he was just a vessel to progress the story and all the characters in the gang.

I was a little disappointed about the Epilogue playing as John and learning more about his life, which we all know how that ends.

I guess that's the art behind this game. They really make you care for Arthur just to slowly kill him and take him away from the story altogether.

TheSantader25
11 minutes ago, HockeyMike24 said:

Just finished the Epilogue!

I do hope we see more of Arthur, whether it's DLC or another game. I feel like we really didn't get to find out much about him and he was just a vessel to progress the story and all the characters in the gang.

I was a little disappointed about the Epilogue playing as John and learning more about his life, which we all know how that ends.

I guess that's the art behind this game. They really make you care for Arthur just to slowly kill him and take him away from the story altogether.

The Epilogue is there to show all John has(even if it ends soon) is because of Arthur. Arthur was the true seeker of "Redemption". John did everything for his family but Arthur sacrificed himself for everyone around him selflessly. He didn't even give up on dutch till the last minute and was hoping to help him. Arthur found the true "Redemption". However I definitely want to see more of him. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Cutter De Blanc

I kinda knew it was coming but nothing could have prepared me for how utterly numb I would feel playing as John. Like I don't give a f*ck about my horse, or interacting with the NPCs, or any of that new sh*t when playing as John. f*cking ride Rachel off a cliff. Stupid horse. Stupid f*cking John

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

VercettiGuy
48 minutes ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

I kinda knew it was coming but nothing could have prepared me for how utterly numb I would feel playing as John. Like I don't give a f*ck about my horse, or interacting with the NPCs, or any of that new sh*t when playing as John. f*cking ride Rachel off a cliff. Stupid horse. Stupid f*cking John

That's exactly what I told a friend after finishing the game. I said "I don't give a sh*t about that horse" after it fell off some cliff.

And honestly hearing John's voice yelling is making me angry. ENOUGH. I HEARD HIM YELL FOR 8 f*ckING YEARS.

"Finished" the game a week ago and still haven't finished the epilogue.

confederatestatesgta

did anyone else feel like arthurs tuberculosis was similar to lee from the walking dead getting bit? obviously arthur didint have a little kid to protect. but he finds out that he is going to die later in the story. and you see him getting worse throughout the story. just like when lee got bit. and also i always thought lees story was similar to red dead redemption. how he was a murderer. then he helped and save the little girls life. and then he eventually died. it was just a little similar for me. what do you think?

volta2001

Damn New Austin really does seem tacked on as someone said. They clearly only added it for online. Such a bummer Arthur never got there 

Elliemay

Does anyone know the meaning of Athur’s visions? (Coyote if bad honour/ elk if high honour) I can’t find seem to find any mention of it online 

Wheatley131
6 minutes ago, Elliemay said:

Does anyone know the meaning of Athur’s visions? (Coyote if bad honour/ elk if high honour) I can’t find seem to find any mention of it online 

Been wondering what does Elk mean. I don't know if it's related to this but at some point in game Charles asks Arthur if he believes in reincarnation.

Elliemay
3 minutes ago, Wheatley131 said:

Been wondering what does Elk mean. I don't know if it's related to this but at some point in game Charles asks Arthur if he believes in reincarnation.

I think you’re on to something! I was reading on a thread here earlier, someone had posted saying they visited Arthur’s grave and there was a wolf there (could’ve mistake it for a wolf instead of a coyote ) that ran off when they approached and the game wouldn’t let them shoot it. Could that be Arthur? And if you had high honour it’s an elk at the grave maybe? I’ll have to investigate on my game :) would be really grateful if anyone can confirm this coyote (or elk?) at Arthur’s grave 

Wheatley131
Just now, Elliemay said:

I think you’re on to something! I was reading on a thread here earlier, someone had posted saying they visited Arthur’s grave and there was a wolf there (could’ve mistake it for a wolf instead of a coyote ) that ran off when they approached and the game wouldn’t let them shoot it. Could that be Arthur? And if you had high honour it’s an elk at the grave maybe? I’ll have to investigate on my game :) would be really grateful if anyone can confirm this coyote (or elk?) at Arthur’s grave 

I'll see tomorrow with the elk. I indeed had high honour so I'll check it out :)

Raavi

Decided to continue on with the Epilogue despite originally not really feeling it. I'm glad I did, it's nice to have a bit more of a happy path and the nods to Arthur are  scattered all over. Not to mention there are also some lovely scenes with John and Abigail. Love the dynamic between them now. I also really like the idea of the ranch, how he build it himself and takes care of it, made me appreciate it a lot more than if he would just have moved in to a preexisting building. That said I don't foresee myself playing as John a whole lot after finishing the epilogue, but it's nice to have the option to play the rancher / hunter and explore New Austin (if considerably more barren than the rest of the game) when I feel like it. All that being said, I would have loved to have a fourth ending option where Arthur Settles down in the peace and quiet with his own ranch and love interest. 

LeonVegaSuarez

In Arthur's last mission when his horse gets shot and he leans down to whisper "thank you"...it killed me.

When Arthur put his hat on John's head....I was a mess.

wagszilla

The gospel choir-esque song kills me every time.

I can't listen.

Mikovitch
30 minutes ago, LeonVegaSuarez said:

In Arthur's last mission when his horse gets shot and he leans down to whisper "thank you"...it killed me.

When Arthur put his hat on John's head....I was a mess.

I was devastated when she got shot. I reloaded and swapped my horse out at a save from a couple of missions beforehand. She had been with "Me" since that first mission where you pick up the horse from the Stables.

I couldn't bear the thought of her going out like that. I like to think she lives out her life in a quiet corner of the world. Stupid I know, she is just pixels, but the heart ache of losing her...too much. Spare horse taking one for the team made me feel better.