3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Dudu RDRII

SPOILER:HEAVY SPOILERS - The Ending

Spider-Vice

YOU ARE VISITING A THREAD WITH VERY HEAVY SPOILERS.

SCROLL DOWN ONLY IF YOU ARE SURE YOU WANT TO READ DETAILS ABOUT THE ENDING OF RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Message added by Spider-Vice

primethief147

Ya my first playthrough was neutral/good and now I'm making a second pure outlaw playthrough with a save set in the Rhodes chapter in case i want to play as outlaw Arthur.

JC_HUMBLE
1 hour ago, jje1000 said:

Only problem is that the game kind of directs you towards being a "good guy", whereas most people would likely want to keep playing a Arthur-like game of being an outlaw.

But yeah, I miss Arthur too since he actually has a lot of depth and sadness to his character. The entire story past Chapter 4 is extremely depressing. Even the soundtrack is more melancholic than RDR1's soundtrack.

Yeah I'm gonna replay it and make a save file before chapter 4. Gonna explorer the whole world with Arthur before those events.

Dangerous and sad

It's mad that most of us never would have thought that we would prefer Arthur over John. I knew he had the potential to be far better than john as soon as that second trailer dropped. The line "I'll keep her in black on your behalf" was what sold me, the way he looks at that train in the dark, his badass walk away from the exploding safe with the classic black coat, bandana and blue shirt and lastly the "Always Dutch". Doing my second playthrough and some of the robberies i've done on trains have been so much fun.

Forgot to add his walk with Hosea and Bill from the burning house. I'm sorry but he's just effortlessly slick and cool

Edited by Dangerous and sad

Money Over Bullshit
On 11/2/2018 at 6:07 AM, Walrus65 said:

Find it bizarre how now everyone suddenly hates John. 

I think it's more a matter of getting attached to Arthur and then losing him than actually disliking John. 

If you replay/rewatch the first game you sort of see everything in a different light now. John was quite the bastard in RDR II and then acts like a completely changed man in the first game. Had it not been for Arthur he probably wouldn't have been like this. Even in death he showed him what was really important. Arthur has a similar personality but he knows full well that he's a bad guy and deserves to die. You could argue that if it weren't for his family John would have the same attitude but I don't think he would. I doubt he thought twice about helping the FBI to help himself. John for me is the more likeable character still but Arthur definitely isn't without his charms.. he just realised he was walking the wrong path too late. John an the other hand was completely out when they pulled him back in so I feel he was less deserving of his end. A lot of people were pissed off about the TB thing but I feel it was fitting. He was the architect of his own destruction. 

Doctor_Anarchy1

Hey everyone.

I have got to the end of the game, I Checked my social club. On chapter six there are 4 blank chalkboards after Mrs. sadie Adler, Widow -ll and The Kings Son. How do I unlock them? 

TheSantader25

Undead Arthur is the only thing that can calm me down. 

Fun fact:

Arthur didn't kill any of the main antagonists. 

-Cornwall: Shot by dutch

-Micah: Shot buy John

-Milton: Shot by Abigail

-Colm: got hanged 

Edited by TheSantader25

Johan
5 hours ago, Mr-Infinite-Rage said:

Hey everyone.

I have got to the end of the game, I Checked my social club. On chapter six there are 4 blank chalkboards after Mrs. sadie Adler, Widow -ll and The Kings Son. How do I unlock them? 

You need to have almost max honor in order to unlock those missions. I THINK you can find them on your replay tab in the end of the game either way.

Shadowfennekin

Yeah, I had a feeling during the trailers that Arthur had the potential to knock down John as the top dog when it came to R* protagonists and I was right, I really loved Arthur's character and even though I knew what was coming it was still sad when Arthur learns he's gonna die and after that you can't help but actually play him out as an honest man doing all the right choices. I didn't like that he HAD to die and did die no matter what..... but I do love the "Go for John" ending and felt that it was a fitting end. Hopefully we can see Arthur in a future title or DLC, so long as they don't pull the 'let's kill this new guy to make Arthur playable' angle.

In fact Arthur is what makes me hope R* does what other companies recently have been doing and implement New Game Plus. Since this is a proper RPG; It'd be nice to have the option to go back and play as Arthur with all your clothing collectibles, weapons, crafting unlocks. Only money won't go; Truly get to play how you want and not have content locked behind crafting/honor walls

TheSantader25

I'm not an emotional guy. My friends call me cold and heartless. But I felt a small tear when Arthur was riding back to the camp in the end and also when he died looking at the sunset(And this rarely happens for me during movies or games). I loved his character. What an incredible protagonist. I still remember people calling him bland before release. I really didn't expect him to be this good. 

Edited by TheSantader25

thedarkman123

The game was awesome, but the end-game content is just disappointing, hope for the online experience to wake it up a little. 

SakoCS
6 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Fun fact:

Micah got shot by Dutch. 

jje1000
4 minutes ago, SakoCS said:

Micah got shot by Dutch. 

John does get to ventilate Micah's dome though.

MARKUS.

The ride back to the camp with all those flashbacks and lines... was like... any word is worthy, even dropped a tear out of me. The “help” ending is a mix between sadness, anger and satisfaction, even you feel “peace”. 

But the end of all ends when John asks Abigail to marry her and when you see the ranch being constructed. To be honest with you guys I felt more sadness than happiness because I kept saying... “if they know what would happen just 3-4 years later”. And that feeling to me is consolidated on the last dialogue between Abigail and John standing where their thomb will be. 

Huge fan of how Rockstar develops stories though I would really loved to see “the Blackwater ferry heist” or some scenes where John is hunted by Ross and was taken away from his family on the end credits... and maybe knowing why the heck John was on that boat at the beginning of RDR1

Edited by MARKUS.

ArthurMorgan

I’m only two missions into the Epilogue and I miss Arthur already. :( I don’t want to spend my time with John, I’ve done enough of that already. Regretting burning through the story.

Crm114

I wanted to unlock new Austin so after chapter 4 I started doing the main missions back to back thinking it be coming soon. Before that I’d just explore and do missions at my own pace. I thought Arthur would be able to go to new Austin or even escape there after everything was settled and live out his remaining days sick. Had I known it would be John and new Austin would be an afterthought until dlc I would of continued how i was going . Oh well can’t  do anything about it now .

Edited by Crm114

JC_HUMBLE
23 minutes ago, Crm114 said:

I wanted to unlock new Austin so after chapter 4 I started doing the main missions back to back thinking it be coming soon. Before that I’d just explore and do missions at my own pace. I thought Arthur would be able to go to new Austin or even escape there after everything was settled and live out his remaining days sick. Had I known it would be John and new Austin would be an afterthought until dlc I would of continued how i was going . Oh well can’t  do anything about it now .

Kinda sad because Arthur always wanted to go west.

ahetFIN

The ending would probably feel somewhat happy if you hadn't played RDR1 and didn't know how quickly the happy ending of RDR2 is over. But then you wouldn't understand that well why Marston is that significant that you start playing as him. Throughout the whole epilogue I was expecting Ross to come and capture Marston and then we would have seen that part of the story too. Afterwards we would have free-roamed the world as Sadie or Charles.

During chapter 6 I was expecting the next chapter to be set in New Austin with Arthur leaving the gang and moving to somewhere dry and warm to treat his illness, but unfortunately that did not happen. Then he would have helped John to build Beecher's Hope and later witness him being captured by Ross.

MARKUS.

I've found this riding scene somehow more emotional than John's death in RDR1. You indeed knew that this would be his last moments.

saintsrow

Spoiler

"RDR3: Civil War / Arthur as a Young Man" prequel already in the works.  Rockstar knows how to keep us hooked. 

Outlaw from the West

Honestly we should’ve been Sadie Adler after the story, there was so much potential and it makes more sense lore-wise to be able to traverse the entire map as a bounty hunter than a rancher with a family.

So much potential.. the first female playable character in a R* game, but nah.

justinwitdabush

I think this game started really strong, but ended kind of messy. The epilogue is one of the greatest things I've experienced as a gamer, but if you ask me they kind of did Arthur dirty. They kept setting up that he needed a "vacation" presumably to New Austin to treat his tuberculosis. Also the plot point of the Indian chief giving Arthur herbs to treat his illness doesn't go anywhere because he never uses them. It's also annoying that Arthur is robbed of actually killing ANY of the antagonists. Finally, the whole epilogue with John is beautiful and awesome at the same time, but it feels weird that Dutch would still be riding with Micah after all that's happened. Nitpicking aside, this is easily my second favorite game after RDR1. :colgate::r*:

saintsrow

By now, I think we can learn our lesson, and calibrate Rockstar's ability to create a story that matches the scale of the sales of their media property, and their marketing of that property.  Or rather, their lack of ability.  

What I mean is, like numerous huge billion dollar blockbuster movie properties, a billion dollars in revenue, and a trolling, teasing ad campaign, does not guarantee a billion dollar story.  It makes money anyway.  But we still hope and hope, that the story measures up to the production, and delivers something really new and different... 

Here we are, once again.  

jje1000
1 hour ago, saintsrow said:

Hide contents

"RDR3: Civil War / Arthur as a Young Man" prequel already in the works.  Rockstar knows how to keep us hooked. 

That's sort of interesting if true. Arthur is around 35-36 in 1889. It would make him like 10 or so in 1865? That means any story would probably occur in the years afterwards.

I think if the game is set during the Civil War, we'd probably get Hosea, Dutch or another new character as the protagonists instead. The Civil War setting would also continue to pull the setting eastwards away from a western setting, but there might be some interesting exploration of the gold rush/migration to the west?

Edited by jje1000

infectedG636

Question: do we get Arthur’s saddle back? I had flacos revolver. Currently on Epiloge 1

wagszilla
1 hour ago, saintsrow said:

Hide contents

I think a 1930 prohibition tale is more likely, ala Boardwalk Empire.

It would allow them to scratch their old-timey GTA itch and also have a section of the map that is still wilderness/countryside.

I think RDR2 kind of deconstructs the mythos of the lawless west. It was mostly people sitting around, drinking coffee, living in makeshift caravans, and then inflicting suffering on other people when they needed money. 

I also hope it's more of a true RPG where you can be either good or evil and not constrained by plot. So have it nothing to do with the events of RDR1 or RDR2. Kind of like the shift from GTA 3 to GTA IV.

45 minutes ago, justinwitdabush said:

I think this game started really strong, but ended kind of messy. The epilogue is one of the greatest things I've experienced as a gamer, but if you ask me they kind of did Arthur dirty. 

I think the entire story is messy and needed work. But I disagree. I think the reverse is true. The back half of the story is great and most of the problems arise from the beginning and first half.

I don't actually care for the epilogue too much. I liked seeing Charles and Sadie again but that's about it.

I think the point of the story is we all have a terminal disease and we have to decide what to do with our time.

Doing Arthur dirty forces us to contemplate mortality.

40 minutes ago, saintsrow said:

By now, I think we can learn our lesson, and calibrate Rockstar's ability to create a story

Here we are, once again.  

I don't know what you're on about.

I think RDR2 is in the Top 5 stories they've ever told. It's far and away better than GTA V in every way. 

But I do agree that a lot of decisions are motivated by profit.

And think they were constrained by making a prequel to RDR1 instead of a new story.

7 minutes ago, infectedG636 said:

Question: do we get Arthur’s saddle back? I had flacos revolver. Currently on Epiloge 1

You get everything back.

YamatheKreature47
13 minutes ago, wagszilla said:

I think a 1930 prohibition tale is more likely, ala Boardwalk Empire.

It would allow them to scratch their old-timey GTA itch and also have a section of the map that is still wilderness/countryside.

Yes. I was thinking this earlier watching Tom Hardy in the movie "Lawless" which is about 1930s backcountry moonshiners fighting off big city gangsters trying to intrude their land.

I couldn't see the next Red Dead going back in time yet, cuz the story could not top RDR2. But if they went to the 1920s/1930s when all the famous outlaws were around (Al Capone, John Dillinger, Bonnie & Clyde)they could make a great game outta that. 

wagszilla
14 minutes ago, YamatheKreature47 said:

Yes. I was thinking this earlier watching Tom Hardy in the movie "Lawless" which is about 1930s backcountry moonshiners fighting off big city gangsters trying to intrude their land.

I couldn't see the next Red Dead going back in time yet, cuz the story could not top RDR2. But if they went to the 1920s/1930s when all the famous outlaws were around (Al Capone, John Dillinger, Bonnie & Clyde)they could make a great game outta that. 

Directed by friend of Rockstar, John Hillcoat, no less.

I'm more thinking of Public Enemies and Boardwalk Empire but the moonshiners tale should be a part of it for sure. There's a lot of great movies of that period. The Untouchables comes to mind.

We'll see in another 10 years. 😜

jje1000

I've been saying that a 20s-30s setting would be a great opportunity to further develop Jack as he'll be around the same age as Arthur and John.

That being said, a lot of the things that make a Western a Western (i.e. outdoorsmanship and horses, especially) are disappearing or gone by even the 20s, and you'd be getting a game far more similar to a Grand Theft Auto/Mafia game than a Red Dead one.

On the other hand, a prequel to RDR2 that's too close to 1899 is going to feel like it's treading a familiar path. Even a sidestep might feel too similar, as RDR2 does already cover a lot of the US geography and sights.

Edited by jje1000

Alexlecj
16 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Fun fact:

That said, Arthur killed a few military faces: Colonel Favours and Alberto Fussar.