3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Dudu RDRII

SPOILER:HEAVY SPOILERS - The Ending

Spider-Vice

YOU ARE VISITING A THREAD WITH VERY HEAVY SPOILERS.

SCROLL DOWN ONLY IF YOU ARE SURE YOU WANT TO READ DETAILS ABOUT THE ENDING OF RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Message added by Spider-Vice

Oldsport
43 minutes ago, Red Hardbro said:

Just want to know if you can customize John Marston at the end when you take control of him can we put anything on him like we could wth Arthur?

yup u can even change his hair

Walrus65

Find it bizarre how now everyone suddenly hates John. 

I think it's more a matter of getting attached to Arthur and then losing him than actually disliking John. 

YamatheKreature47

As soon as that music started when Arthur was on his final ride I started crying like a baby. I knew it was time to say goodbye to Arthur. Arthur Morgan was one of the best characters I've ever played. His voice, his attitude, his bruteness. I loved it. I helped John escape. When Arthur was laying there, and had that final moment with Dutch I felt that. You could tell Dutch was hurt as well, but he was too crazy by then. Then Micah shot Arthur in the face and that f*cked me up. I spent all this time as the most badass character in Rockstar history just to be killed by a damn fool, a rat. RIP MR. MORGAN. 

Crm114

Man really hope we can play as Arthur again in a prelogue of some sort. Or have a dlc where the gang is still together and some kind of doomsday event happens with aliens or something. Or even just an option to switch back he was such a great character.

Have a feeling that Sadie will get her own dlc(they set her up as this pure badass) and so will marston in Mexico.

oCrapaCreeper
4 hours ago, Walrus65 said:

I think it's more a matter of getting attached to Arthur and then losing him than actually disliking John. 

I think it’s simply that people like the way Arthur was written better and John looks shallow in contrast. The way Arthur develops over the story mimics how the player feels over time, and that allows a character to attach to the player easily. Dutch for example turns from a likeable charming character to just a lunatic you just want to see shot or at least think about how insane he is, and that’s how Arthur ended up feeling too.

The way the turbocosis was handled elevates it too, since that makes Arthur wake up and realize he needs to do something good for the world before his unpreventable death, leading him to do good things without money being a motive. Once he shows that he is suffering from the disease, you want him to accomplish his goal so he can to die in die in peace. He’s just written very well and in a way that attaches you to him a lot. I don’t know about anyone else but John never had this affect on me.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

Dangerous and sad
6 hours ago, Walrus65 said:

Cause who wants to play as a skinny, rancher John over a prime badass Arthur, head enforcer of the most notorious gang in america? I tried committing crimes as John in the end, just doesn't feel right. Arthur over John anyday imo

Forgot to add, you can be both good and bad with arthur if you please. With John, it's already planted in your head that you can only really be good with him as he's no longer in the gang both times we play as him. In one he's looking for his redemption, in the other, he's just a boring rancher

Edited by Dangerous and sad

SoLowko
36 minutes ago, Dangerous and sad said:

I tried committing crimes as John in the end, just doesn't feel right. With John, it's already planted in your head that you can only really be good with him as he's no longer in the gang both times we play as him. In one he's looking for his redemption, in the other, he's just a boring rancher

Nailed it man. First I was kind of happy to be playing as John again since I really do like him, but then once I finished the epilogue I was like ''sh*t, what reason can I have to be bad to other people that aren't bad to me?'' It doesn't feel right to cause some mayhem, robbing trains and stores etc. as John who just got married and got all the money he wants. Now I just really miss playing as Arthur lol. Don't know what to do

Edited by SoLowko

Lonely-Martin

Couple of questions. Sorry if asked/out there already, just started reading the spoiler section now I'm through the main, spoiler free all the way too. Loved it.

(DON'T READ IF SENSITIVE - I'm unsure how open I can be yet, but f*ck it, plenty of warnings).

* These stranger side quests are in parts with time needed between them. I did one with a black and white prisoner arguing while as Arthur, forgot to return as the story just took me. Haven't had the next part of that side quest come up though. Does this mean John can't wrap that one up? (Punishing, but I do like that too. Makes sense too if its gone).

* Can we kill that Micah f*cker while he's dashing about, because I really wanted to. Though how it went was pretty damn cool. Just curious if there's many scenarios/cutscenes and such. (Found this mission quite the challenge TBH. Keen to get good there! Good bad guy too, really wanted to get him!).

* Is it worth going back for the cash? I didn't as I figured Arthur knew time was against him and he (I) just wanted John and family out. But curious if there's more to it.

* Lastly. I was so engrossed I forgot to do the bonus bank job. Can I access that after story? (Don't mind as many playthroughs planned - But would be nice to try it before I get go there again).

Thanks for any feedback in advance, and I absolutely loved this story. Really enjoyed the epilogues too, so glad to have John back, but sad Arthur couldn't get out. Beautiful scene that though looking at the sun. Made my eyes water, think if my lad wasn't about I may have melted, lol. But once the TB came up, I knew Arthur was on his way. The music and the riding during those last few were very powerful for me. Doing the epilogues with my lad was pretty cool though.

Won't forget this game! And thanks to this section of RDR2, I really got the best I could have from this too. Thanks to all in charge for keeping the spoilers here. Made my game. Thanks guys!

Dangerous and sad
1 hour ago, SoLowko said:

Nailed it man. First I was kind of happy to be playing as John again since I really do like him, but then once I finished the epilogue I was like ''sh*t, what reason can I have to be bad to other people that aren't bad to me?'' It doesn't feel right to cause some mayhem, robbing trains and stores etc. as John who just got married and got all the money he wants. Now I just really miss playing as Arthur lol. Don't know what to do

I'm doing a 2nd playthrough and I'll probably stop doing missions as soon as we move to rhodes. I'll explore the whole map as Arthur and rob pretty much every store on the whole map. A slow grind to provide for both myself and the gang camp(Which I miss so much when the game ends)

Sentinel Driver

Can you swim as John?

stevo irwin19
45 minutes ago, Dangerous and sad said:

I'm doing a 2nd playthrough and I'll probably stop doing missions as soon as we move to rhodes. I'll explore the whole map as Arthur and rob pretty much every store on the whole map. A slow grind to provide for both myself and the gang camp(Which I miss so much when the game ends)

Once exams are done for me this is exactly what I will be doing love John but miss playing as Arthur so badly 

Dominik1411
8 hours ago, YamatheKreature47 said:

As soon as that music started when Arthur was on his final ride I started crying like a baby. I knew it was time to say goodbye to Arthur. Arthur Morgan was one of the best characters I've ever played. His voice, his attitude, his bruteness. I loved it. I helped John escape. When Arthur was laying there, and had that final moment with Dutch I felt that. You could tell Dutch was hurt as well, but he was too crazy by then. Then Micah shot Arthur in the face and that f*cked me up. I spent all this time as the most badass character in Rockstar history just to be killed by a damn fool, a rat. RIP MR. MORGAN. 

He didnt shot Arthur at my playthrough. I also helped john getting away. Micah and Dutch just left and arthur watched the sunset while dying. Very emotional 

@Sentinel Driver No you cant swim and thats really f*cked up. 

Edited by Dominik1411

Lonely-Martin
15 minutes ago, Dominik1411 said:

He didnt shot Arthur at my playthrough. I also helped john getting away. Micah and Dutch just left and arthur watched the sunset while dying. Very emotional

Well sh*t. Micah never shot me either. I passed on slowly looking at the sunset and that was glorious.

Definitely gonna have low honour next run. (Had full on this and saved John leaving the cash).

Gangsta Braze
12 hours ago, Mithrandir94 said:

My Questions :  

1) What's the fate of Karen ?

2) What's the fate of Trelawny ? Is he the Strange Man (The Dialogue with Herbet Moon can be another hint) ? 

Yes, you can customize him (also with Arthur's clothes)

I forgot who it was (I believe Charles) who called Trelawny a “strange” individual so I think that adds to the theory than anything else....

Equity
2 hours ago, Sentinel Driver said:

Can you swim as John?

John's stamina completely depletes when he hits water. Have yet to try with a horse. 

Also what's up with New Austin being so ... boring? MacFarlane's Ranch is small, Armadillo's near empty. Heck even the gold mine in Gaptooth Ridge has an unbreakable stone barrier (map shows there's way more tunnels though)

Typhus

So, story-wise, did John never mention Arthur in the first game because he was resentful for Arthur having a stronger bond with Jack? Because that's the impression I'm getting.

Sentinel Driver
37 minutes ago, Equity said:

John's stamina completely depletes when he hits water. Have yet to try with a horse. 

Also what's up with New Austin being so ... boring? MacFarlane's Ranch is small, Armadillo's near empty. Heck even the gold mine in Gaptooth Ridge has an unbreakable stone barrier (map shows there's way more tunnels though)

John sucks

Gangsta Braze
13 minutes ago, Typhus said:

So, story-wise, did John never mention Arthur in the first game because he was resentful for Arthur having a stronger bond with Jack? Because that's the impression I'm getting.

Huh???

feckyerlife
7 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I think it’s simply that people like the way Arthur was written better and John looks shallow in contrast. The way Arthur develops over the story mimics how the player feels over time, and that allows a character to attach to the player easily. Dutch for example turns from a likeable charming character to just a lunatic you just want to see shot or at least think about how insane he is, and that’s how Arthur ended up feeling too.

Bingo there is just way more depth too Arthur, john always seemed a little too  black and white, no grey. I am hoping that some of the retcon is for RDR1 remake, at that point they could give john more depth.  

Gangsta Braze

Lol Did anyone catch Bill Williamson reveal his real first name at camp yet???

jje1000
17 minutes ago, Gangsta Braze said:

Marion, I like how Micah gives him crap for that in his jerkass manner.

lol

also Hosea also hints at a "Bill & Phil" when he was talking about couples whose names rhymed

Edited by jje1000

ThroatSlasher2
2 hours ago, Typhus said:

He never mentions him because there is no point to. John mourned and gave Arthur's ring to Abigail.

His arc is complete.

jje1000
8 hours ago, ThroatSlasher2 said:

He never mentions him because there is no point to. John mourned and gave Arthur's ring to Abigail.

His arc is complete.

It's also because he wasn't written yet- but it does kind of make sense IRL.

Most people don't talk about dead friends and relatives on a daily basis (unless you're Queen Victoria), but only when the circumstances are correct- which I think was done right in RDR2 when John talks about Arthur when he meets Mary-Beth, Pearson or Tillie, or if he's picking up on unfinished Stranger quests.

Arthur's story was never about being a world-saving hero, but one that's more of a personal story of tragedy, reflection and redemption.

Edited by jje1000

JC_HUMBLE
1 hour ago, Gangsta Braze said:

Never catch that but I witnessed an interesting conversation.

Arthur: I just can't imagine you running a gang.

Bill: Maybe one day I will.

Spectre "2K"

just finished the game for myself 

jeeeeesus i should have seen it coming but i didn't and now i'm tearing up and my brain is in a frenzied mess 

it makes Dutch even more miserable to look at in RDR 1 

Doctor_Anarchy1

Micah Bell,  kills Arthur Morgan, I am so sad the game doesn't feel the same I don't know if I can bond with John, I feel so bad for Arthur Morgan. Why not let him run off and not get sick? I am mad at Rockstar.

JC_HUMBLE

I really like the epilogue chapters and playing with John again kind of feels like the first Redemption, can't deny that I miss Arthur :(my favorite R* protagonist so far...

jje1000
2 hours ago, Shinola Gamer said:

I really like the epilogue chapters and playing with John again kind of feels like the first Redemption, can't deny that I miss Arthur :(my favorite R* protagonist so far...

Only problem is that the game kind of directs you towards being a "good guy", whereas most people would likely want to keep playing a Arthur-like game of being an outlaw.

But yeah, I miss Arthur too since he actually has a lot of depth and sadness to his character. The entire story past Chapter 4 is extremely depressing. Even the soundtrack is more melancholic than RDR1's soundtrack.

Edited by jje1000