Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. Gameplay
      2. Missions
      3. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Arena War
      2. After Hours
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA Next

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

TheSadisticOwl

Dan Houser thankful for not releasing GTA VI in the current political climate.

Recommended Posts

GTAStreets

I don't believe that is the reason. If I was Rockstar I would release the game anyway. I think they halted it to modify what they already had and manipulate and add to what they already had in mind for us. To them GTA: 6 has to be perfect and they won't finalize until they are satisfied and that could take years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Journey_95
On 1/6/2019 at 4:31 PM, Wolff said:

Very strange, disappointing he seems to imply that satire of current events are one of the core elements of the entire game. I'd rather just have a good crime story than a comedy game, the satire should be kept subtle, like in the older games (mostly limited to radio/commercials) if you ask me.

Agreed, GTA V already went too far at times with the satire. Focus on a good crime story first, Rockstar's priorities are off here..

On 1/7/2019 at 2:36 PM, WFD1992 said:

Well, even more reason for the next GTA to focus on mocking them, since there would be no risk (though, from my personal experience Nazis are the most whiny, they just hide it behind a veneer of "why can't you take a joke"). Also, I myself am a Leftist (NOT a Liberal) and a SJW.

How about no..the next GTA should focus on a good crime story, not mocking the alt right..if anything both groups (extremes of both) should be mocked and only in radio shows etc. not as the focus of the game.  Seems like you just want your agenda shoved in GTA 

 

On 1/22/2019 at 11:47 AM, inkoalawetrust said:

Mock both

 

That's what Rockstar has been doing since forever now when it comes to parodying society and/or politics, they basically make fun of everyone and everything.

Agreed..both groups will get butthurt and that's the way I like it. 

Edited by Journey_95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaddsterG2k3

Sorry if this has been posted already, but its interesting that IGN's take on this is that it implies they won't do modern:

 

 

I know they have no insider understanding but I'd be inclined to agree with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ViceCityVin

I’m a little late to seeing this, but I think I can understand what he’s saying. Initially I thought he was going to be afraid of offending people from the thread title (which seemed unlikely), but that isn’t really what I get from his comment. It’s more just that real life itself looks like a parody right now, and how do you parody a parody? It’s a case of “real life is stranger than fiction.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pete4000uk

The mid 90s would be good, but what would they do for the kiddies? No flying cars back then you know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zello
1 hour ago, Pete4000uk said:

The mid 90s would be good, but what would they do for the kiddies? No flying cars back then you know!

SA had a jetpack...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25

It's good that we have flying cars in real life since 2013. I was so tired of these f*cking traffic jams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big Fat Paulie
On 10/25/2018 at 2:14 AM, TheSantader25 said:

Seriously f*ck present time. 

 

Go back to 80s and 90s.

Crime like the way we see in GTA doesn't even make sense because of the current security advancements because of technology. GTA can no longer move with time. It has to go back. 

 

Also not much has changed since GTA V so they won't have satirical material anyway. Still the same sh*t they made fun of in V but even in a stupider and sh*ttier way. 

 

Overall seems like he was just looking for a half-assed excuse for not making a GTA.I doubt he wants to talk about anything GTA related now. 

 

This. A hundred times this.

 

Not only is organized crime rapidly changing because of new technologies and security measures (for example, the remnants of the Italian Mafia in the United States make the majority of their money off of online scams and other white-collar tech crimes rather than drugs, prostitution, or unions) but the culture of 2010's America is paradoxically both rapidly changing and stagnant.

 

As others have said, in terms of satire and commentary, any GTA set in the present day would basically be covering all the same topics that GTA V talked about, only in an even more blatant and shallow way.

 

Maybe R* should take a page from the 3D Era games and do a period piece. They could do the 1970's, as that has not been done in GTA (heck, Mafia hasn't even covered the 70's yet) or they could revisit the 80's, 90's, or early 2000's.

 

Think about it, the then-modern setting of GTA III was almost twenty years ago. If you did a GTA game that was a period piece set in the early-to-mid-2000's (2000-2005 or so), it would be retro enough to avoid controversy from either the Alt-Right or the PC Left, but still be modern enough to have a lot of the features of a GTA game.

 

Also, the early 2000's is in that perfect zone where the culture is just different enough from the late 2000's, so it doesn't feel like a re-tread of GTA IV. Basically, it could work in any time that is anything that is after 1970 (otherwise you might as well just play Mafia) but before 2007 (otherwise you should dust off the PS3 and just replay GTA IV and EFLC)

 

While GTA III was set in 2001, it was on a much more primitive engine compared to GTA V and neither the satire nor the depth of the open world environment was as pronounced as the newer GTA games are, at least by comparison.

 

Heck, stuff like this is one of the reasons why I explicitly set my GTA VI concept thread in the 1990's and early 2000's (1993-2001) and weirdly enough, two of the protagonists are similar to what is being discussed here for potential ideas. One protagonist is a Mafioso and the other is a corrupt cop who is basically the GTA equivalent of Vic Mackey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HelloMyNameIsHuman
On 2/7/2019 at 5:40 PM, ViceCityVin said:

I’m a little late to seeing this, but I think I can understand what he’s saying. Initially I thought he was going to be afraid of offending people from the thread title (which seemed unlikely), but that isn’t really what I get from his comment. It’s more just that real life itself looks like a parody right now, and how do you parody a parody? It’s a case of “real life is stranger than fiction.”

But the games are already by and large real life or what people really think.

 

This is the "best" possible time for a "real" GTA game. Because it's not just the parody or caricatures, it's the snapshot of the times, and the opinion about all of those characters and scenery and ambiance is the main part. It's the perfect time. Maybe they just aren't going to do this kind of time capsule or retrospective in the case of the past-based games anymore.

 

6 years is way more than a rest, though. Way too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tengerecki
On 12/19/2018 at 1:12 PM, VictorVance1239 said:

I think the 40s-70s eras could work if its a brief part of the story like with time travel or something.

I think music from the stone age would be even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
saintsrow
On 2/15/2019 at 1:28 PM, Big Fat Paulie said:

 

This. A hundred times this.

 

Not only is organized crime rapidly changing because of new technologies and security measures (for example, the remnants of the Italian Mafia in the United States make the majority of their money off of online scams and other white-collar tech crimes rather than drugs, prostitution, or unions) but the culture of 2010's America is paradoxically both rapidly changing and stagnant.

 

As others have said, in terms of satire and commentary, any GTA set in the present day would basically be covering all the same topics that GTA V talked about, only in an even more blatant and shallow way.

 

Maybe R* should take a page from the 3D Era games and do a period piece. They could do the 1970's, as that has not been done in GTA (heck, Mafia hasn't even covered the 70's yet) or they could revisit the 80's, 90's, or early 2000's.

 

Think about it, the then-modern setting of GTA III was almost twenty years ago. If you did a GTA game that was a period piece set in the early-to-mid-2000's (2000-2005 or so), it would be retro enough to avoid controversy from either the Alt-Right or the PC Left, but still be modern enough to have a lot of the features of a GTA game.

 

Also, the early 2000's is in that perfect zone where the culture is just different enough from the late 2000's, so it doesn't feel like a re-tread of GTA IV. Basically, it could work in any time that is anything that is after 1970 (otherwise you might as well just play Mafia) but before 2007 (otherwise you should dust off the PS3 and just replay GTA IV and EFLC)

 

While GTA III was set in 2001, it was on a much more primitive engine compared to GTA V and neither the satire nor the depth of the open world environment was as pronounced as the newer GTA games are, at least by comparison.

 

Heck, stuff like this is one of the reasons why I explicitly set my GTA VI concept thread in the 1990's and early 2000's (1993-2001) and weirdly enough, two of the protagonists are similar to what is being discussed here for potential ideas. One protagonist is a Mafioso and the other is a corrupt cop who is basically the GTA equivalent of Vic Mackey.

 

Wow, you've made a whole bunch of good points!  Every paragraph.  

 

I've always been thinking that I want GTA games to keep up with present times.  GTAV was the the end-all masterpiece, for me.  Like Dan says, where can they go from here, without being repetitive?  As I said earlier in this thread, I think that in addition to crime simulator, maybe Rockstar should open up their beautiful virtual worlds to other gamer demographics, multiple game modes and multiple uses  - maybe not full Sims, but some a game mode with coop missions with a wider range of obedtives, that don't involve shooting and blowing up everything - more like quests, for example.

 

I still want present day setings the most, but I can see the uniqueness in some of the time periods you mentioned.  The atmosphere of Vice City was totally cool, and GTA San Andreas was a blast, too.  It's interesting that lately Rockstar has been giving us a load of retro 60's-80's cars in GTA Online.  

 

Personal opinion, I wouldn't want to go back any further than the 1960's.  Even LA Noire was too old a time frame.  

 

EDIT:  PS:  Extra credit for suggesting Vic Mackey as protag!! 👍 👍 

Edited by saintsrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big Fat Paulie
16 minutes ago, saintsrow said:

 

Wow, you've made a whole bunch of good points!  Every paragraph.  

 

I've always been thinking that I want GTA games to keep up with present times.  GTAV was the the end-all masterpiece, for me.  Like Dan says, where can they go from here, without being repetitive?  As I said earlier in this thread, I think that in addition to crime simulator, maybe Rockstar should open up their beautiful virtual worlds to other gamer demographics, multiple game modes and multiple uses  - maybe not full Sims, but some a game mode with coop missions with a wider range of obedtives, that don't involve shooting and blowing up everything - more like quests, for example.

 

I still want present day setings the most, but I can see the uniqueness in some of the time periods you mentioned.  The atmosphere of Vice City was totally cool, and GTA San Andreas was a blast, too.  It's interesting that lately Rockstar has been giving us a load of retro 60's-80's cars in GTA Online.  

 

Personal opinion, I wouldn't want to go back any further than the 1960's.  Even LA Noire was too old a time frame.  

 

I'm inclined to agree with you.


Like I had said, anything earlier than 1970 is pretty much already well-covered by LA Noire and the Mafia series and anything from 2007 onward is too recent and would be a retread of IV, EFLC, and V.

 

Personally, while going back to the 80's and 90's in the HD Era would be cool, I think the best choices would be the 1970's (Liberty City or Las Venturas would be the best picks for a 70's GTA) or the early 2000's in almost any American city.

 

You could go back to early 2000's Liberty City, and be the HD Era homage to III/LCS, similar to how V was an HD Era homage to GTA: SA with its West Coast setting and wackier over-the-top antics compared to IV.

 

Or if they did GTA VI in the early 2000's, you could do a whole new city that's been mentioned in GTA but never seen, such as Capital City (Washington DC) or Carcer City (given context clues, Carcer City is a Rust Belt city, most likely based on Chicago or Detroit) or maybe you could take one of the major towns or cities from Red Dead Redemption and show what they are like in the modern era.

 

You already have Saint Denis as the clear New Orleans analogue, and since New Austin and West Elizabeth are roughly analogous to Texas and Colorado respectively, you could do a modernized Armadillo as Dallas/Ft. Worth or maybe Houston or have Blackwater be like Denver or Colorado Springs.

 

If they do Vice City again for GTA VI, you could have it in the 1980's like VC and VCS were in the 3D Era, but I don't know how I'd feel about that if it were only Vice City.

 

Although, if they did Vice City plus rural Florida and parts of Latin America and the Caribbean (and maybe we can throw in Saint Denis, rural Lemoyne, and possibly an Atlanta analogue for good measure) then I would be a happy camper whether it's set in the 1980's, 1990's, early 2000's, or even the current era.

 

 

Edited by Big Fat Paulie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
saintsrow
7 hours ago, saintsrow said:

 

As I said earlier in this thread, I think that in addition to crime simulator, maybe Rockstar should open up their beautiful virtual worlds to other gamer demographics, multiple game modes and multiple uses.

 

 

Here's the direction that GTA 6 should take:  Chinese Parent Simulator

 

After Michael's family problems, it'll be like a sequel to GTAV.  Rockstar, don't pass up this opportunity!  

 

Edited by saintsrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.