1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

TheSadisticOwl

Dan Houser thankful for not releasing GTA VI in the current political climate.

killdrivetheftvehicle

It's still over a year until 2020. And that's when Trump administration hopefully will be just a bad dream. Trump IS a parody, and satirizing parody would sound insane, and not in a good way. Gta is about satire as much it is an action game, a driving game, and a shooter. But when both political parties already ARE like parodies of themselves, satirizing them would sound insane. And the point is: it wouldn't be funny anymore. They would be sued, and probably they would lose. And I think they always prepare for a lawsuit in forhand, before they even release a game. If they think they won't win the lawsuit, they have to change the game before release, and that's one of the reasons there has been so many delays.

R* satire has always been that everybody says what they really mean, or use obvious euphemisms and it's in a contradiction to what people in real life say. And that has been funny so far, because contradictions are funny. But now Trump is saying what he means all along, and it is already funny that he contradicts himself. You cant' contradict a contradiction and be funny.

just do it bob1
On 10/24/2018 at 5:49 PM, TheSadisticOwl said:

It's bizarre to see Rockstar suddenly wanting to avoid being controversial. What's your take on this?

Yeah, I thought R* was the company that kinda broke down the barriers when it comes to controversial stuff. I guess not. Or at least, not anymore.

YanUK

Mr Houser explained his conundrum perfectly  - for me the solution is to base it in an historic period of time. 1970's Chicago for example.

HelloMyNameIsHuman

I have learned over the last 18 years that R*'s producers and T2's spokespeople are BS artists. They say whatever sounds good at the time.

Whose building was on the cover of GTA 1? Trump Tower. Of course they are not going to do a satire about the country at this time. But when Obama was in office, no problem with Statue of Happiness. Sam Houser, on the other hand, is on record saying he is voting for Hillary because he can finally vote and all of this. Voted for who cost you 20 million dollars with Hot Coffee, who you made fun of in your game, the same game with the Trump Tower on its first iteration?

I'm not really a political person, in the sense that, no one should assume they know my political leanings from what I just said. I'm just pointing out how none of the sh*t they say makes sense and is easier to cut through than they think, it just seems no one else does, or no one else notices.

I love Rockstar. But GTA VI isn't here because it isn't finished yet. No other reason. No resting series, no political climate. Just "It isn't done yet". This game is supposed to point out the problems. And Rockstar is afraid to do what their game is known for? That is like south park saying "You know, we'll be back, when everything is a little more PC".

2FIkuXy.png

Edited by JuliusCaesar

Tengerecki

If GTA6 becomes politically correct, I'll kill myself.

HelloMyNameIsHuman

Thinking more on this, another angle emerges, which was touched on in my post prior, but can be more defined now;

Rockstar is afraid.

Scared to death.

They are scared to get the attacks that James Gunn, Roseanne, everyone else are getting destroyed over. 

Rockstar is scared, because the people they historically make fun of and show "it's funny, because it's really like that" - they can't because they know the mob mentalities online will tear them apart.

We spent all this time thinking they were saying something, but really, they were just making fun of people who weren't fighting back. Now that those people are off their rockers playing nanny state everywhere, rockstar is afraid.

Like a bully who saw you punch their own bully in the face: The bully is scared to mess with you now.

Aquamaniac

Do SJWs play GTA at all? If not, why bother about possibly offending them?

Jabalous

How about going back in time to create another period-piece GTA like SA and VC? Let's be honest, The humor and social commentary in V were too relatable to be funny, on the top of how badly written they were for the most part. Smartphones, obsessive kids and marijuana, social media and invasion of privacy are all modern topics that we're all aware and hear about everyday, so that leaves nothing to the imagination or the novelty of escaping to another period in time when the hot topics were different and probably unrecognizable for most of us, which eventually lead us to research about these older time periods, such as LA in the early 90s, Miami in the early 80s, or in other R*'s games like Red Dead, we research about the old west before the turn of the 20th century, and keywords like the Pinkerton Detective Agency which I've only known about during the marketing of the game.

Another modern-day GTA will likely be as pale as V and again too relatable with basically no new interesting topics to talk about in the game. Red Dead has proven R*'s ability to re-invent and re-imagine older times, and these history-based games are the highlight of their two-decades worth of projects so far. It's time to make GTA interesting to watch, relate and listen to again! 

Edited by Jabalous

Emmi

Yeah, I also hope that they go back in time with GTA VI. I think it would be best to do but I'm afraid it might not happen because they want to appeal to the masses. :(

HelloMyNameIsHuman
6 hours ago, Jabalous said:

How about going back in time to create another period-piece GTA like SA and VC? Let's be honest, The humor and social commentary in V were too relatable to be funny, on the top of how badly written they were for the most part. Smartphones, obsessive kids and marijuana, social media and invasion of privacy are all modern topics that we're all aware and hear about everyday, so that leaves nothing to the imagination or the novelty of escaping to another period in time when the hot topics were different and probably unrecognizable for most of us, which eventually lead us to research about these older time periods, such as LA in the early 90s, Miami in the early 80s, or in other R*'s games like Red Dead, we research about the old west before the turn of the 20th century, and keywords like the Pinkerton Detective Agency which I've only known about during the marketing of the game.

Another modern-day GTA will likely be as pale as V and again too relatable with basically no new interesting topics to talk about in the game. Red Dead has proven R*'s ability to re-invent and re-imagine older times, and these history-based games are the highlight of their two-decades worth of projects so far. It's time to make GTA interesting to watch, relate and listen to again! 

Yeah, you would think they would be intelligent enough to say "Well we can't make a game now, let's make a game about how it got this way".

Jabalous
5 hours ago, Emmi said:

Yeah, I also hope that they go back in time with GTA VI. I think it would be best to do but I'm afraid it might not happen because they want to appeal to the masses. :(

The masses will play Grand Theft Auto for the brand, simply because they like it. Having the game set in 2020s, early 2000, 1990s, or 1980s wouldn't make a difference for them. All these eras have sport cars, advanced military aircrafts and all the fun stuff to make chaos. Rockstar wouldn't be limited in the core gameplay options unless they go back more in time, like the 60s and before, which I doubt they would for a GTA game, and it'd be for the better. 

PaddsterG2k3
1 hour ago, Jabalous said:

The masses will play Grand Theft Auto for the brand, simply because they like it. Having the game set in 2020s, early 2000, 1990s, or 1980s wouldn't make a difference for them. All these eras have sport cars, advanced military aircrafts and all the fun stuff to make chaos. Rockstar wouldn't be limited in the core gameplay options unless they go back more in time, like the 60s and before, which I doubt they would for a GTA game, and it'd be for the better. 

Yep!

Plus, I feel the younger generation would look upon an early 2000s game or a late 90s game in a similar vein to the SA generation and the 90s and the 80s. I feel a period setting could work, should work and will work to help keep the series fresh.

Aquamaniac

I wouldn't go back further in time than the 90s, for the sake of the music in game. The 90s should appeal to the first generation of PC gamers, those who were young young when they played GTA 3 grew up in the 90s, so I'd vote for a future GTA set in the late 90s. Apart from that, I don't think that GTA has to be political at all, aren't the people in the 90s said to be quite unpolitical, so it would be a good choice concerning this matter. Which location would fit well in the 90s, maybe Detroit - but a GTA in the 90s should be fun, could both work, a "happy" period and a gloomy location? What location would fit the vipe of the 90s best but still fit to a crime game?

Edited by Aquamaniac

DIEXEL

What Dan Houser told The New York Times 2012:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/10/arts/video-games/q-and-a-rockstars-dan-houser-on-grand-theft-auto-v.html?_r=0

Q. The closest thing to Grand Theft Auto I can think of that someone is doing in a different medium is the work of David Simon, who has tried to capture cities, in ‚ÄúThe Wire‚ÄĚ but even more so in ‚ÄúTreme.‚ÄĚ It‚Äôs quite different, but TV is similar in the sense that people spend 30, 40 hours with a show.

A. I haven‚Äôt seen ‚ÄúTreme.‚ÄĚ I never even saw ‚ÄúThe Wire.‚ÄĚ One of my weird disciplines is that I don‚Äôt really watch a lot of those shows, if they relate to what we do. I only watched a tiny bit of ‚ÄúThe Sopranos.‚ÄĚ No ‚ÄúBoardwalk Empire.‚ÄĚ No ‚ÄúBreaking Bad.‚ÄĚ Wherever it‚Äôs too close to crime, gangster, underbelly fiction, and it‚Äôs supercontemporary, I decided, for professional reasons, I have to avoid it.

Yeah, right. It would be better if he just shut up...

TheSantader25
46 minutes ago, DIEXEL said:

What Dan Houser told The New York Times 2012:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/10/arts/video-games/q-and-a-rockstars-dan-houser-on-grand-theft-auto-v.html?_r=0

Yeah, right. It would be better if he just shut up...

Weird. Simply all of his stories are inspired by these types of movies. 

KennyLoggins
On 12/10/2018 at 8:19 AM, Aquamaniac said:

I wouldn't go back further in time than the 90s, for the sake of the music in game. 

Excuse me? Could you elaborate?

mde2
On 12/9/2018 at 6:07 PM, Aquamaniac said:

Do SJWs play GTA at all? If not, why bother about possibly offending them?

No but like with conservatives in the 90's and 2000's they just nitpick certain parts of the game thereby exaggerating how bad it really is.

Take V for example, it was banned from sale in several retail stores in Australia because of the perceived "sexual violence" which amounted to just the ability to kill women, especially those in sex work after a bunch of feminists made a petition to get the game taken off shelves. Now the game wasn't entirely banned in Aus but it was heavily restricted here in terms of its sale. Something like this would never happen in the US which is why I believe they would never tone down GTA for the sake of appeasing left wing or right wing culture but by extensions nanny states like Australia and the EU will always be finding ways to undermine media.

Aquamaniac
16 hours ago, KennyLoggins said:

Excuse me? Could you elaborate?

Think of Mafia 2, I liked the story but I didn't like any song and the game sucked as an open world game. A game even set in the 60s or 70s is very limited in the chocie of music and radio stations, driving around and listening to the radio stations is an important if not the most important part of GTA for me. I think a setting prior the 80s would not appeal to the masses. I'd like a GTA at about 1997. Don't get me wrong I like TV series or movies that take part from the 40s to the 70s, but as an open world game it does not fit for me. I wouldn't mind the absence of internet or mobiles or even modern weaponry, but I'd miss more or less contemporary music and a selection of more or less modern cars.

Edited by Aquamaniac

VictorVance1239

I think the 40s-70s eras could work if its a brief part of the story like with time travel or something. We already have the flying DeLorean in online now so Rockstar might as well go the extra step with it for the next games main story. 

It only makes Online in the next game more interesting to have those options of the different era versions of the city. The styles of clothing, hairstyles and the cars which are already mixed of vehicles from different eras anyway, etc. 

GTA-Biker
3 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

Think of Mafia 2, I liked the story but I didn't like any song and the game sucked as an open world game. A game even set in the 60s or 70s is very limited in the chocie of music and radio stations, driving around and listening to the radio stations is an important if not the most important part of GTA for me. I think a setting prior the 80s would not appeal to the masses. I'd like a GTA at about 1997. Don't get me wrong I like TV series or movies that take part from the 40s to the 70s, but as an open world game it does not fit for me. I wouldn't mind the absence of internet or mobiles or even modern weaponry, but I'd miss more or less contemporary music and a selection of more or less modern cars.

I disagree.I played Mafia 2,and I liked the soundtrack a lot,it introduced me to a lot of 50s rock and roll songs,and some other music genres of the time.While I didn't play Mafia 3,I watched some videos on Youtube and recognized a lot of great music from the 60s.The 70s setting would work in an open world game soundtrack too,because there were many different genres of music popular at the time,such as classic rock, heavy metal, punk rock, classic pop, disco, funk, soul, country and some others.As for the 80s,GTA VC and to a lesser extent GTA VCS are considered by many to have the best soundtracks in the series.

I do think that going to the 60s or before may not be a good idea because it would cause a lot of people to call the game unoriginal and compare it to the Mafia series,but a 70s or 80s setting would work great.It wouldn't have any modern music but it would have a soundtrack full of classics (which is much better,at least in my opinion).As for vehicles,there would still be many different vehicles to choose from,like sedans, hatchbacks, muscle cars, sports cars, station wagons, pick up trucks, SUVs, cruiser bikes, chopper bikes, standard bikes (both European and Japanese), early sports bikes from the 80s, dirt bikes, scooters and mopeds, planes, helicopters, boats and others.And as for weapons,a lot of guns that we consider to be modern,such as Beretta 92, Glock 17, Colt M1911, MP5, Uzi, AK47, M16, SPAS shotgun and many others,have been around in the 80s or even before.

Edited by GTA-Biker

KennyLoggins

Dear lord what a stupid thing to say. Limited in music? Are you insane, how deeply offended I am. You must be really young with no appreciation for music. 

Edited by KennyLoggins

Charlottes

First off, what a wimp. I don't think any of the controversial stuff that Rockstar has done in recent memory has had a worthwhile payoff. Anyways, I think there's an interesting situation in regards to the satirical aspect of GTA, or I guess the approach to it.

So like, we all know about MAD magazine, right? The whole time I've been aware of it, it's been this kind of corny thing that does incredibly corny satire, but in the 60s and 70s it seemed to be pretty influential to people who I'd call actually funny, and also did go on to create more effective satires than MAD had been doing. But it's not like MAD could just stop publishing, or change things up majorly, since they are a magazine and they have to keep on putting out new stuff forever.

It feels like GTA is maybe in the same mindset? Where they feel like they have to keep on doing the same approach forever. Whether it's because they feel an obligation to do that or because they really do like it a lot is up for debate, but it's obvious with GTA online specifically that it's got to keep going like it is, or the tonal shift is going to be weird

But GTA isn't like MAD, where they have to put out new issues every month or two, it's a videogame series with a few years between installments. I'm not even sure if the biting social commentary is the reason why a lot of people show up to play the game! But the point is, with each new major installment, they have a chance to rethink their approach and make something that works functionally in the climate that they're releasing the game in. Of course what worked in 2001 isn't going to work in 2018, everything's different!!! But they have the chance to set the deadlines for the project and to think it through and to approach the satire and humor in a way that has any kind of effect

Aquamaniac
15 hours ago, KennyLoggins said:

Dear lord what a stupid thing to say. Limited in music? Are you insane, how deeply offended I am. You must be really young with no appreciation for music. 

Possibly, may I ask how old you and GTA-Biker are? I am 32, I suppose most GTA players are younger than that and share my bias. I liked the Vice City Soundtrack too, I'd generally favor the 90s over the 80s though. I have honestly no idea about the 70s and the 70s music.

TheSantader25

Music is a matter of taste but I personally can't listen to pre 80s music. I love 80s and 90s music. And since the new century we've had a couple of good hits but they are rare. Best era for me would be 1980-2000. I personally want the next GTA to be set in the 90s around 1995.

KennyLoggins
2 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

Possibly, may I ask how old you and GTA-Biker are? I am 32, I suppose most GTA players are younger than that and share my bias. I liked the Vice City Soundtrack too, I'd generally favor the 90s over the 80s though. I have honestly no idea about the 70s and the 70s music.

Ah sorry I was so stressed that day, apologies if I sounded like an idiot - which I did. Lol I'm 26, guitarist and have studied music for years, the 60's is my favourite era! mafia 3 had a great soundtrack. I must say I too prefer the 90's over the 80's. Rage against the machine and nirvana! Again sorry pal and happy holidays!

Edited by KennyLoggins

Aquamaniac
1 hour ago, KennyLoggins said:

Ah sorry I was so stressed that day, apologies if I sounded like an idiot - which I did. Lol I'm 26, guitarist and have studied music for years, the 60's is my favourite era! mafia 3 had a great soundtrack. I must say I too prefer the 90's over the 80's. Rage against the machine and nirvana! Again sorry pal and happy holidays!

I felt not offended by your post - no need to apologize, as already said I'm actually ignorant when it comes to music and don't listen much else than mainstream pop. The point is, the relevant target group might think similar as I do, I can't imagine many youngsters listening to 60s or 70s music. In a game set in the present you can have it all, WW2 weaponry, 60s cars, 70s music all together with the modern stuff, but in a historical game it limits you, GTA (other than Mafia) is simply too big to serve a niche so it must appeal to the masses - not to mention to keep the online players happy - whether we like it or not. I can think of a lot of interesting scenarios far away from appealing the mainstream.

Happy Holidays aswell.

GTA-Biker
6 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

I'm 25 (almost 26,in less than two months).I prefer video games set in the past (before I was born,or at least when I was a kid) over those set in the present,so I can discover new music from that time period on the in-game radio and maybe even learn something about that time period.Plus,I there's enough of modern stuff,such as reality shows on TV, mumble rap on the radio and hipsters around the town in real life,I'm not really interested in seeing it in video games too.I'm hoping that the next GTA is set either in the 70s or 80s,and I'd be ok with the 90s or early 2000s setting as well.

el carlitos

I do hope that it will be in present time.

Last years some kind everything is going into bad direction. Right-wing populist getting more popular, climate change, Middle East conflict, wars, many refugees, kids born in 2000 now 18 years old getting offensive about everything, social media, Trump, etc..

Damn thats a lot of possibilities for great satire. 

If we speak about music, I also like the music from the 80s. Just give us a 70s/80s/90s radio station. So we have all kind of music, old and new.

Same for vehicle, I also prefer cars from 80s and 90s. But in present we have both old and new vehicles.

Aquamaniac
2 hours ago, GTA-Biker said:

I'm 25 (almost 26,in less than two months).I prefer video games set in the past (before I was born,or at least when I was a kid) over those set in the present,so I can discover new music from that time period on the in-game radio and maybe even learn something about that time period.Plus,I there's enough of modern stuff,such as reality shows on TV, mumble rap on the radio and hipsters around the town in real life,I'm not really interested in seeing it in video games too.I'm hoping that the next GTA is set either in the 70s or 80s,and I'd be ok with the 90s or early 2000s setting as well.

I expected both of you to be older than me, no offense. So far everybody seems to be fine with the 90s, which location do you think would fit the vibe of the 90s best? I wouldn't mind to see Liberty City again if it had a large rural landscape around, I'd like the future GTA map to be 2 or 4 times larger. Liberty City could be as big as the entire GTA 5 map plus a rural landscape 3 times as large.

GTA-Biker
2 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

I expected both of you to be older than me, no offense. So far everybody seems to be fine with the 90s, which location do you think would fit the vibe of the 90s best? I wouldn't mind to see Liberty City again if it had a large rural landscape around, I'd like the future GTA map to be 2 or 4 times larger. Liberty City could be as big as the entire GTA 5 map plus a rural landscape 3 times as large.

If it was set in LC in the past,I'd prefer 70s or 80s.From what I've heard,New York was full of crime back then,much more than from the 90s to present.I agree about LC with some countryside around it,that would be interesting.

For the 90s,I think the most fitting location would be LS,but we already seen that in GTA SA,and the most recent GTA was also set in LS,so to avoid it being repetitive I think some new location would be good,maybe some Midwestern city based on Chicago or Detroit.