1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

TheSadisticOwl

Dan Houser thankful for not releasing GTA VI in the current political climate.

Sleepwalking

I didn't expect him to say, "we are currently milking GTA online and we are not releasing the next one until we done." But the excuse he gave is totally bullsh*t, lol.

Official General
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, RashFaustinho said:

It doesn't have to be '80s or '90s.

It could also be mid 2000s.

If they are so afraid of touching current USA topics, and they don't want to lose the "modern" feeling, they can simply set it 10 years prior to the events of GTA 5.

Heck, to be honest, I'd LOVE a different approach with a game focused on a 9/11 GTA Counterpart, criticizing America's approach and subsequential wars, talking about the diffidence towards east countries, the rise of criminal organizations like ISIS due to bad poilitics. Something that couldn't be done back in GTA 3, but can be done now.

And it wouldn't be out of date, on the countrary, all these topic are still alive and discussed today.

What an awful, most terrible idea. Not everything in GTA has to revolve around the current state of world affairs, politics, and social commentary. You're forgetting it's essentially an action game revolving around committing crimes for financial gain, status, and power. I don't wanna see that extra bullsh*t you speak of, no thanks. 

Journey_95

Sad to see even Rockstar affected by the PC bullsh*t these days..GTA V had its flaws but it was great to see a game with a real identity and not some safe sanitized bullsh*t that panders to everyone at once...hope GTA VI won't be dumbed down so no one gets butthurt

TheSantader25

The thing with GTA like satire though is that it's a lot like south park. It doesn't try to force an opinion. Because it makes fun of everyone. You're free to judge yourself. The game just mocks everyone. PC and SJW sh*t is the last thing R* care about. If R* made fun of a "certain" group in favor of the others it's safe to say they're gone to sh*t. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Commander S
On 10/24/2018 at 10:49 PM, TheSadisticOwl said:

It's bizarre to see Rockstar suddenly wanting to avoid being controversial. What's your take on this?

Possibly controversial take, but to me GTA's "satire" ...isn't. It's not even all that observational - it's basically just caricature, for the sake of mockery, with no deeper point than just "heh, that's a thing - and we're going to give it the finger and giggle!".

In other words, it's the Nelson Muntz approach to topical comedy. :p

Thing is, if anything, a good, proper satirist would revel in today's political climate - but they'd probably alienate one 'side' in doing so, because fence-sitting satire is, again, weak at best. Satire takes a stance, beyond just "lol, that thing is stoopid, amirite?" - you're making a judgment on some aspect of society by ridiculing it, and that (by definition!) requires one to commit one way or the other.

To quote the legendary Tom Lehrer, criticising the state of satire in the early 2000s: "The real issues I don't think most people touch. The Clinton jokes are all about Monica Lewinsky and all that stuff and not about the important things, like the fact that he wouldn't ban land mines... I'm not tempted to write a song about George W. Bush. I couldn't figure out what sort of song I would write. That's the problem: I don't want to satirise George Bush and his puppeteers, I want to vaporize them."

Personally, I miss when GTA III was less 'wannabe-satire', more just cartoonish - you can have a parody of real life for a GTA game, without the pretension of 'saying something'. Particularly when all it means is the difference between a slogan being "the Maibatsu Monstrosity: mine's bigger!" (heh, dick joke! :pp), and "Post-Op: no longer just mail" (because 'lol trans people', apparently... :rol:). And the thing is, the latter still isn't satire, so... :turn:

Hmmm nice bike
On 10/24/2018 at 10:28 PM, saintsrow said:

Then we get to GTAV.  The Housers picked a few timely political and economic topics to skewer, and they hit the target, as nuanced as ever.  But in the anti-PC direction, Lazlow and the Housers were starting to run out of material and it was getting strained.  They had a hard time even coming up with new 69 gags.  Lazlow's perv humor was sometimes just reaching too far, and of course, there was Trevor, the final result of artistic bankruptcy.  The trend was getting too close to Saints Row, which needed raunch as an attention getter.  GTA never needed that, after the GTA III breaktrhough.

I certainly hope they realized that their satire was wearing thin by GTA V and that a lot of the humor on the in-game media just wasn't funny. Too much of it felt forced and obvious. While I don't think they should entirely stop this sort of thing, maybe they should tone it down a bit for the next GTA. Lazlow and the Housers need to remember that they aren't comedians, but they aren't really geniuses of satire, either.

Overall, I also think it's really hard to parody things nowadays, especially given how much we see in real life is starting to feel like a parody. Try putting it on the Fox News Channel when they discuss the mail bombs from this week. They're trying so hard to deflect on the fact that the guy who sent the bombs a big Trump guy that it's almost hilarious, and it feels like something that would have come straight from the media in GTA. It's kind of hard to parody something that outrageous in real life.

GLR21
1 hour ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

I certainly hope they realized that their satire was wearing thin by GTA V and that a lot of the humor on the in-game media just wasn't funny. Too much of it felt forced and obvious. While I don't think they should entirely stop this sort of thing, maybe they should tone it down a bit for the next GTA. Lazlow and the Housers need to remember that they aren't comedians, but they aren't really geniuses of satire, either.

Overall, I also think it's really hard to parody things nowadays, especially given how much we see in real life is starting to feel like a parody. Try putting it on the Fox News Channel when they discuss the mail bombs from this week. They're trying so hard to deflect on the fact that the guy who sent the bombs a big Trump guy that it's almost hilarious, and it feels like something that would have come straight from the media in GTA. It's kind of hard to parody something that outrageous in real life.

Of course it's Fox News who're laughable and not a word on CNN & Co who are spitting lies all the time.

People like you is why R* stays away from GTA 6 for another decade. Thanks a lot.

RashFaustinho
4 hours ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

2 hours ago, GLR21 said:

Of course it's Fox News who're laughable and not a word on CNN & Co who are spitting lies all the time.

People like you is why R* stays away from GTA 6 for another decade. Thanks a lot.

Putting USA news channels aside, that's a problem that's present in almost the entire world. Or in all First World counties at least.

With phenomenons and political parties such as "Extremists" and "Populists", that won elections in some countries and / or are getting high support from electors, reality and parody are getting harder to discern. In my country, one of the major political parties has been half-founded by a TV comedian. I'm not joking...

It's... Complicated. Surely not a situation that someone can solve in a few post in a GTA forum.

Anyway, after reading the posts, i'm not even sure that's the issue.

Because after thinking about it a bit more, GTA parodies American culture, not American politics. It's more about the first than the second.

So, I nave no idea what the heck Dan is talking about, the only politicians they cared about were just the ones that tried to take them down, such as Clinton in GTA 4

The rest of the character were either based on movies they watched or just stereotypes.

The only politics present in the series are just an exagerration of capitalism

Meh, I think we are just overthinking this, at the end it's just a random phrase to tell us "Buy RDR2 because GTA6 will not be coming any time soon lol"

Edited by RashFaustinho

GLR21

I'm sure people would be still buying it even if GTA 6 would be coming November 2018.

Johnny Spaz

These type of statements is exactly why Rockstar Games has lost its greatness

HOW'S ANNIE?

Well I remember according to Ash one of their pre-production ideas thrown out was 70s Las Vegas. I hope this is a good indication this is the direction they're heading in for the next game.

deadasdisco
2 hours ago, HOW'S ANNIE? said:

Well I remember according to Ash one of their pre-production ideas thrown out was 70s Las Vegas. I hope this is a good indication this is the direction they're heading in for the next game.

Not gonna lie I always thought that would be amazing. Either 70s or 90s

fleathemighty

Rockstar should just make their GTA and accept they can't please everyone. Nevertheless they should realize their game will be a success no matter of what the public says. They tried to take a more realistic approach in GTA 4 and it was a success, but part of the consumers noted that and became fussy about it, demanding more satire. Then they got more satire in GTA 5 and still the game was an even greater success, but now part of consumers complain that the comedy is forced and too much.

It's just that the increase of overly fussy people is starting to become an issue. GTA's theme has always been satire of the american modern culture, and was always subject to controversy. But with this new wave of whiny care bears it's becoming harder and harder for Rockstar to make fun of anything anymore and deliver their games.

Just realize we're living in an age of overly sensitive, attention seeking public and go on with it. It will probably tone down eventually.

Edited by fleathemighty

Grotti Vigilante

Let us just consider Dan Houser's words for a moment... 

"It’s really unclear what we would even do with [GTA 6], let alone how upset people would get with whatever we did. Both intense liberal progression and intense conservatism are both very militant, and very angry. It is scary but it’s also strange, and yet both of them seem occasionally to veer towards the absurd. It’s hard to satirise for those reasons. Some of the stuff you see is straightforwardly beyond satire. It would be out of date within two minutes, everything is changing so fast."

This seems perfectly reasonable to me. GTA is a satire on American pop culture, and with the current US political climate being so polarised, some things are legit beyond parody. Say Rockstar want to parody a liberal candidate on a talk radio in GTA who straight up admits that they want to get rid of due process, automatically believe women and disbelieve men, and enforce their idea of equality on people by shouting down those they disagree with. Now considering the fact you have people giving off the idea that they actually want that, how can you even call it satire when it sounds so close to reality that it alarms you? This is why it would be out of date within two minutes in any case of GTA VI. 

In fact, I actually made a joke the other day to my friend that if Rockstar made a GTA: Britain, imagine being able to go onto social media and get an automatic wanted level for posting something they deemed offensive, and the wanted level never goes away until you are arrested for your crimes. The thing is, you can't pass that off as satire because that actually happens here! There is literally Tweets asking people to report non-hate crime incidents which can include writing offensive or insulting comments. People have actually written a few news articles suggesting police should prioritise violent crime over misogyny, as if it needs discussion, especially with tight resources these days. 

So do forgive Dan Houser, but he's absolutely right. Trying to satire the modern world these days would be out of date so quickly that part of GTA's entire appeal is missing. This doesn't seem to be about avoiding displeasing people, it's more about the way the world is at the minute. Ever since Trump was elected President everything seems more extreme than ever because the losers are terrified of losing their grip on power, and the winners are worried about losing what power they now have. Satire just seems to be out of the question in this case. 

MCMXCII

They should just hold off on making another GTA for awhile. There will be a time when they can satire reality once more when reality no longer parodies itself. 

In my opinion, I would say "drop the satire and all that."

Make GTA 6 a pure crime game, focusing on ruthless criminals committing vicious crimes, god damn, make a game without taking into account the politics and all that sh*t. I want a gritty and violent crime story similar to Kane & Lynch, I can't possibly care about politics and goofy stuff.

Edited by anthony

Equatecurl
On 10/25/2018 at 6:57 AM, Original Light said:

By this statement, I think he's hinting that the next GTA may be set in the past (80s, 90s, early 2000's, who knows). That's not necessarily a bad thing. 

This statement also implies that work has not begun on GTA 6? Is anyone else getting that vibe? "It’s really unclear what we would even do with [GTA 6]". 

Early 2000s prequel to V with mike and trev like rdr2 please thanks

Emmi

Give me a more serious GTA experience alà IV and I couldn't be any happier!

Yinepi

Here's an idea Mr. Dan Houser. Look back at your earlier games. Particularly GTA1, GTA London and GTA2. These games crafted their own fictitious worlds which, more often then not, satirized their own game world. These three titles were a universe of their own and only loosely drew from real world events. Loosely enough to be evident, but loosely enough to be open for interpretation and thus, in turn, becoming ageless.

You want to do a GTA6? Then do a GTA2.

Step away from your tired old shtick of parodying American pop culture and focus on creating your own worlds that feature their own ambiguous elements. Not every aspect needs to be a reflection of the current world. Rockstar were doing great at creating their own lore and world until Vice City. For example, how many of the adverts in GTA3 are even a part of the GTA universe? Zaibatsu hasn't been mentioned since GTAIII and what exactly is "Squid mobile"? No one knows because it was never told what it was suppose to be a parody of. It was an ambiguous advert. And it shouldn't ever be revealed or made obvious. Why? Because then you suffer from the very age concerns you've come to know.

That's the difference between indirect satire and direct satire. Direct satire will age. It is doomed to that.

Edited by Yinepi

Journey_95
On 11/7/2018 at 5:52 AM, anthony said:

In my opinion, I would say "drop the satire and all that."

Make GTA 6 a pure crime game, focusing on ruthless criminals committing vicious crimes, god damn, make a game without taking into account the politics and all that sh*t. I want a gritty and violent crime story similar to Kane & Lynch, I can't possibly care about politics and goofy stuff.

You can have both. V at times focused too much on the satire but GTA IV had a good balance. Satirizing American culture is a huge part of GTA, losing that would mean losing part of it's identity at this point.

silly_nate
On 11/1/2018 at 5:57 AM, HOW'S ANNIE? said:

Who’s Ash? 

deadasdisco
39 minutes ago, silly_nate said:

Who’s Ash? 

He worked on the web outreach team for Rockstar back in 2012 I think. Longtime GTA Forums member 

Display Name

Rockstar should just make GTA set in the 90s. That hasn't been done on modern graphics.

éX-Driver

Good excuse to take the game back to the past again. Parody politics of a bygone decade, if they’re too scared to touch today’s topics.

saintsrow
On 10/26/2018 at 11:44 AM, Pink Pineapple said:

It's been 5 years since GTA V released. They've probably already done significant work on the map for the next game.

They just want everyone's attention focused on RDR2.

Well, now that RDR2 has shot its wad, I hope to hell they're way far along with the map, so we don't have to wait until 2028 for GTA6.  

Pink Pineapple
50 minutes ago, saintsrow said:

Well, now that RDR2 has shot its wad, I hope to hell they're way far along with the map, so we don't have to wait until 2028 for GTA6.  

They should be. 3 and a half years after IV released, they were far enough along with V to release its first trailer. Plus, they released the 2 episodes and RDR in that time.

éX-Driver
2 hours ago, saintsrow said:

Try 2020, 2022 at the absolute latest. 

Also, anyone else feel f*cking weird saying the 2020s so casually? 

saintsrow
On 10/26/2018 at 2:41 PM, Sleepwalking said:

I didn't expect him to say, "we are currently milking GTA online and we are not releasing the next one until we done." But the excuse he gave is totally bullsh*t, lol.

That's how I read it.  Even now, GTA Online is making them more money per year, with less investment, than designing a new game.  When they finally get around to starting a GTA6, they can just announce it 4 years in advance, and the fanbase will be salivating like starving wolves, hyping themselves into an hysteric frenzy.  🙃

4 hours ago, éX-Driver said:

Sure enough, you have discovered that the time of our life flies by, and we're old before we know it.  Every unique day begins, we waste it grinding a video game for 6 to 8 hours, and that day is gone forever, for all time.  😕

When we talk about the time frame to develop the next GTA, I just link to my post with a chart of extrapolated GTA6 release date.  But GTA Online is a wild card that has changed the whole nature of the GTA series.  So the extrpolated timeline is out the window,  It could be 2028 before Rockstar / TTWO see the need for another GTA.  😱

BOOGIEMAN219
On 10/27/2018 at 9:36 AM, Hmmm nice bike said:

So I suppose it's Bernie Sanders who is responsible for that baseball shooting one of his supporters committed by your logic. All political sides have a fair share of crazies nobody wants to accept that as fact.

Hikikomori-Yume
On 11/29/2018 at 10:50 PM, éX-Driver said:

It's pretty f*cked up that we live in a time of virtual reality, A.I. powered virtual assistants and soon self-driving cars.

Back in the 00s the 2020s felt like a hundred years away.