2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

SPOILER:The 20 second video

DevilDocTV

Obviously I'm not going to post it up, but was anyone concerned with the clipping issues with the hat? Not trying to nitpick, I figure it will be patched out if that's even a possible thing. Thoughts?

With the amount of objects in Arthur alone, I'm just surprised he haven't seen more of it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, uNi said:

With the amount of objects in Arthur alone, I'm just surprised he haven't seen more of it.

Yeah I was more impressed with what all the systems were doing than paying attention to some clipping. Lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, uNi said:

Fair enough. Feel free to delete thread.

Not concerned in the least. It’s not  RL it’s a game, and it still looks and works beautifully. RDR 2 is definitely inspired by MP3 though HEAVILY Inspired. 

• Like 2

I may never use the bow, this sh*t bothers me.

• Like 2

BaconFlavoredCola

I'll probably be bothered by it for a minute, but then I'll stop caring. It's just a small bit of clipping that may be patched out anyways, not the end of the world.

MaddenedGhost
18 minutes ago, NomadSim said:

If it bothers you, don’t use a bow or get a smaller hat!

I know it's a minor thing but it annoys me a little bit, but as my man over here just said, I'll either avoid wearing hats while using the bow if it bothers me that much.

Edited by Maddened_Ghost

Im2akillerfish

Doesn't bother me. I actually don't think I'll even wear a hat, I dig the one screenshot that shows Arthur without one. And I assume we can just store the bow in our horse and never use it unless hunting. 

Does not bother me 1 bit. i actaully didnt even notice it the first 5 times i watched it. Until someone pointed it out. Many video games have small little things like this that is not perfect .Im sure it will be fine and not that noticable a month from now. What i noticed was the awesome gun play and sounds. The ragdoll effect of the guys being shot , the smoke from the guns ,etc. You know the detials that really matter and make the game. 

• Like 1

I assume that patches will solve these little issues over time. A game of this scale and ambition is bound to be shipped with some visual and physics hiccups. 

Lemoyne outlaw

i never noticed it until people started complaining about it. unlike a lot of these complainers. i understand that this world is not perfect. and that no video game will ever be 100 percent perfect. so unless there is a major game breaking unplayable glitch or bug. then i dont really care. i think this game will be amazing. and if people are gonna cry and whine about a minor tiny thing then they probably should not be playing video games. because every game always has some bugs or glitches.

Weapons on the characters back clipping is hard to fix, most games have issues with it especially when you can change clothes (so they can't tailor animations around specific sets of clothes).

It's one of those things you notice less when you're playing though. It is so easy to spot flaws when you're watching footage, especially if you're rewatching it. When you're playing you have far more on your mind like "is this f*cker gonna shoot me or what". 

• Like 4

CosmicBuffalo

So exactly how does the 2nd guy get shot?  Its as if the shotgun blasts straight through the first guy, but it never appears the 2nd enemy is ever intentionally shot by the player. I watched it pretty close.  I can see he is duel weilding but it looks he shoots the guy in front once in the chest then again on the ground and the guy behind just drops.  Am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, GenericGTAO said:

So exactly how does the 2nd guy get shot?  Its as if the shotgun blasts straight through the first guy, but it never appears the 2nd enemy is ever intentionally shot by the player. I watched it pretty close.  I can see he is duel weilding but it looks he shoots the guy in front once in the chest then again on the ground and the guy behind just drops.  Am I missing something?

Shotgun spread?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Shotgun spread?

He shoots the first guy with the pistol. As he falls he shoots the guy behind him with the shotty. It just happens so fast that it looks like he shoots the first guy with the shotgun. 

You can watch the bullets being used in the upper right corner. 

• Like 2

I wish this kind of thing could be discussed without people already drawing battle lines over it.  It's possible to be disappointed by the clipping but also think the game looks amazing in basically every other way.

Speaking for myself only, I know all games have clipping, but I am a little surprised by the extent of it in this video, for a couple reasons: 1) This game has been previewed so much as this incredibly immersive and realistic thing.  If you are thrilled by incredible details like firearm-accurate reload animations and real-time skinning instead of a cut scene that hides the carcass, it's only natural IMO to also want (and even expect) to not see blatant clipping like this.  And 2) This has to be an animation that you see constantly in gameplay - just Arthur running around with the bow on his shoulder - and it looks here like the bow is probably going to clip with any hat that has at least a medium-width brim.  How does something like that not get fixed, or at least toned down so it's not so obvious?  I'm not surprised when, say, my shield clips with my cape constantly in Divinity: Original Sin 2, but Larian is nowhere near the size of developer that Rockstar is.

Anyway. Not canceling my pre-order, not too bummed about this at all really - but I hope they patch it. And if not, I might not be using a bow too much.  I just want to get lost in this game, not constantly reminded that it is, after all, just a game.

Edited by Nutduster

For the people that don't like the clipping, don't buy the game because there will be more little things with clothing or animations that will look a bit off, or you can love the game and be happy with it. ;)

1 hour ago, Dinocrozz said:

For the people that don't like the clipping, don't buy the game because there will be more little things with clothing or animations that will look a bit off, or you can love the game and be happy with it. ;)

Or you can be a grown-up who can enjoy a thing while also realizing it's not flawless and above criticism.  If I buy a value meal and the burger is big and delicious, the fries are hot and crispy, but the Coke is flat, and then I say "Hey, this Coke is flat," it doesn't mean I hated the rest of the meal. It just means the Coke was flat. 

Haters vs. fanboys is a false dichotomy, don't voluntarily participate in it.

Ol' Stinky Pete

Re the clipping - I take it alot of people went mental when they found out the planes and heli's didn't clip the overhead power cables etc in GTAV...  :p

Please understand that stuff like clipping is unavoidable without assigning a LOT of CPU power towards collision detection and proper meshing. It's not a "small" issue that is easily solved with a patch, unfortunately. Keep your expectations measured as far as this clipping changing, a different solution would be changing the position of the bow when it's on your back, but don't expect them to suddenly make the hat and bow interact like physical objects.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, eliasisdead said:

Please understand that stuff like clipping is unavoidable without assigning a LOT of CPU power towards collision detection and proper meshing. It's not a "small" issue that is easily solved with a patch, unfortunately. Keep your expectations measured as far as this clipping changing, a different solution would be changing the position of the bow when it's on your back, but don't expect them to suddenly make the hat and bow interact like physical objects.

Totally agreed - if they do anything, it would be repositioning the bow, not making it knock your hat off or something (which would be annoying anyway).  That's the only thing I can't figure out - not that there's clipping, but that the bow position seems almost guaranteed to cause it with just about any hat.  Maybe they should have gone with a little more of the style of Horizon, where Aloy wears the bow on her back rather than over a shoulder.

Edited by Nutduster

3 minutes ago, Nutduster said:

Totally agreed - if they do anything, it would be repositioning the bow, not making it knock your hat off or something (which would be annoying anyway).  That's the only thing I can't figure out - not that there's clipping, but that the bow position seems almost guaranteed to cause it with just about any hat.  Maybe they should have gone with a little more of the style of Horizon, where Aloy wears the bow on her back rather than over a shoulder.

This...I think it would still clip through something when he puts it on, but it wouldnt be so obvious because it would happen so fast.  Still not a dealbreaker, but a minor dissappointment.

Guest Guest176525326
14 hours ago, DevilDocTV said:

Obviously I'm not going to post it up, but was anyone concerned with the clipping issues with the hat? Not trying to nitpick, I figure it will be patched out if that's even a possible thing. Thoughts?

The clipping definitely won't be patched, it's almost impossible

15 minutes ago, O.Z said:

Fair enough. It won't be that big of a deal, I just can't wait to shoot me some lawmen.

1 hour ago, O.Z said:

Subbing an adjusted animation for retrieving and stowing the bow, and changing its position on Arthur's body, is far from impossible.

• Like 2

I would love it if they put in collision so the bow knocks your hat off.

would be fin hilarious

for a bit and then really annoying.

I didn't notice until people pointed it out. Can't Unsee.

I don't mind clipping issues, but I wish it wasn't the Hat.