Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miamivicecity

What makes GTA IV a masterpiece to you?

Miamivicecity

-For me it's the level of detail that still holds up after a decade. Liberty City/Alderney was far ahead of its time IMO.

-The story. Well this probably doesn't need much explaining really, but it was the first story in a GTA game where it felt like it actually mattered and I felt the missions complimented this perfectly too...

-Niko. I can't imagine playing through GTA IV with anyone else. He's the closest thing to playing as a real human being as I've ever experienced in a video game.

-The physics. Still satisfying to this day. I wish I could go back April 29 2008 to the moment i knocked over a ped watching them stumble or being blown sky high from a grenade blast.

-Multiplayer. Multiplayer was a fantastic addition that still let single player shine. I remember spending many hours in free roam, death matches etc just messing about. A shame it's not as populated as it once was, but I enjoyed the "simple, but fun" approach.

What about you guys?🙂

Necrosummon

Story + Niko + Liberty City

Also EFLC is cool, i would like R* would add to the GTA 4 the features of TLAD and TBoGT, probably i would repeat the mission "three leaf clover".

Crossbones

Tbh everything you said up there. 

Storyline- The best in the series IMO. 

Protagonist- Same as the storyline, best in the series. Niko's backstory, personality, reasons for indulging and committing crimes are all amazing and very well written. 

Side Characters/Antagonists- For me, side characters are a big deal. And, IV had the best cast of side characters and antagonists like Roman, Packie, Dwayne, Mikhail, etc. Even the minor characters like Micheal Keane, the Albanian thugs, etc. were awesome. 

Physics- I still remember the first time I played IV and started noticing the reactions of peds on Niko's action. The experience was so amazing and satisfying. 

Liberty City- It is so well done, plus the weather makes the place look more awesome. The best city in the HD era.

O.Z

Physics, especially the driving physics that are still unmatched today!

I got an Xbox One X a few days ago and I have ordered the game from ebay(£4) can’t wait to play it again with better frame rate!! I have watched some YouTube videos and it looks like the boss!!

ThatKyloRenGuy

Pretty much every point that Miamivicecity and Crossbones already made. Both Liberty City and the state of Alderney were very well done. Also, even minor characters such as Michael Keane, the Albanian thugs, etc. have a lot of personality.

ThatKyloRenGuy

Sorry for the double post, but another thing that makes GTA IV a masterpiece IMO is the Revenge ending. I personally think it is the best ending in all of gaming, and within the top five best endings in all of fiction. In short and on a humorous summary/way of looking at it, Dimitri Rascalov and Jimmy Pegorino asked for me to do a deal with them while secretly sending a hitman after Roman. Well, I said “Hell no b*tches! F*ck that sh*t (sticks up middle finger at them)!” Then I hold out on Dimitri like the Alamo and Billy the Kid. Jimmy P then decides to shoot Kate McReary at Roman’s wedding and sure enough, I avenge my girlfriend and with the help of Roman and Little Jacob, and make sure Jimmy’s dead!” Niko’s one cold motherf*cker, ain’t he? 😛

Edited by ThatKyloRenGuy

Emmi

Liberty City/Alderney + Story + Niko

Tycek

Dunno, everything maybe? GTA IV was the perfect combination of well written characters, great story (especially Niko's and Roman' backstory using Yugoslavian Wars), one of the best and the most alive virtual cities up to date, astounding physics and nice graphics (great for 2008 and still holding up). Sure some may say that single elements of this game wasn't that great, but their combination made something that I will remember forever.

✞✞✞

All was built it correctly, and they did it to be a game hard to beat it.

HisNameIsMilad

1 I agree with every post above 

2 since nobody has mentioned this aspect I shall, the fact that you have the choice of someone’s destiny , the dialog the cutscene the aftermath from these choice make this game feel more rich in experience. 

Beato_dim

The city and the atmosphere.

TheSantader25

Liberty City:This is one of the few maps in videogames that actually has made me realize I'm just a "small human" walking across a street from a big crowded city. You really feel like you're small and lost in this big concrete jungle. 

Atmosphere:The atmosphere  During the first Broker missions is one of the best I experienced in a videogame ever. R* picked the best possible spot for Niko's first Safehouse. 

The Main Theme Song:It fits the game. No more explanation needed. 

Interiors:Some of my favorite interiors are the one's with stairs in a multiple story apartment. Those really have a very ghetto and at the same time urban vibe to them that I really like. 

The NPCs:Always fun to mess with them. 

Police Chases:Well I gotta say one of my daily activities in this game was jumping off the unfinished bridge after a 15 minute cop chase. They are really close and intense. 

Police Database:spent a good amount of time searching the name of almost every character in the game. 

The Time:Although the game says it's set in 2008 but I always feel like it's 2003-04 ish which I like more. As a 90s kid This was one of my favorite times in this stupid new century. One of my favorite things is going to the internet cafe and having a sh*tty phone. It really reminds me of those times. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Miamivicecity
2 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

The Time:Although the game says it's set in 2008 but I always feel like it's 2003-04 ish which I like more. As a 90s kid This was one of my favorite times in this stupid new century. One of my favorite things is going to the internet cafe and having a sh*tty phone. It really reminds me of those times. 

Also seeing people use payphones. I can't remember the last time I ever saw anyone use a payphone in real life. Niko's mobile/cell phone reminds me of a Nokia I used to have in 2003 before smartphones were a thing too.

in a way I consider GTA IV to be an unintentional period piece since at the time it was a representation of what things were like in 2008, but now 10 years have passed we can look back on it. GTA III was like that and I'm sure GTA V will be too in 2023.

Jimbatron

There's lots of good factors you could mention - the story, the characters, graphics (for their time), the map etc. It doesn't have any obvious flaws.

What makes it stand out for me most is the game play, both single player and the sublime Cops 'n Crooks in multiplayer, which for all the updates in GTA O, R* have never come close to matching since. The only slightly annoying things were the pigeons in SP, and the Wanted achievement was a bit of a grind.

EHM

Driving physics, made the AUTO in IV an absolute joy