3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

OddProject

RDRD2 on Xbox One + Standard HDTV

OddProject

Hi all,

New here and very much looking forward to RDR2. Although I never played RDR1, I've been a massive fan of the GTA series and have been playing since the first release!

Anywho, my question/concern:

As RDR2 is going to be such a glorious graphical masterpiece, I'm concerned I won't be reaping the benefits running in on my standard Xbox One and my Panasonic 43" LED HDTV (it's about 8 years old). Will I still be wowed and in awe? I'm just worried I won't have the full benefits with my aging hardware.

I've been looking at getting a new HDR 4K Tv and/or getting the Xbox One X just for this game - I doubt I can get both right away.

What would be the priority? Would getting a 4k TV improve my experience on the standard Xbox One, or visa versa - Getting an X running on my current TV - would my experience be better? It's worth noting the TV is in my living room and I have kids.

Man, I need money.

Ash_735

Xbox One X would be the priority there as it's often the case that the Xbox One version of multiplatform titles often don't even reach Full HD on that (900p vs 1080p) so if you were to get a 4k TV, you'd just be spreading that lower resolution over a higher pixel count. At least if you get an Xbox One X you'd be able to get the best out of your current TV as the console will downsample to 1080p providing a nice clean sharp image that lacks aliasing.

Punkd

i still had my old xbox 360 and a 32" full-hd television

i searched/waited for special offers on the internet/local stores to get a new xbox one x (in the end i payed 420€ for the forza bundle), and my girlfriend and i bought a new television together (we payed 50/50), a new philips 43" 4k uhd with ambilight, the television was 440€ total (so for me only the half of it)

try find such good prices and go for it, playing rdr2 on a one x with a 4k television will blow my mind away lol

OddProject
9 minutes ago, Punkd said:

i still had my old xbox 360 and a 32" full-hd television

i searched/waited for special offers on the internet/local stores to get a new xbox one x (in the end i payed 420€ for the forza bundle), and my girlfriend and i bought a new television together (we payed 50/50), a new philips 43" 4k uhd with ambilight, the television was 440€ total (so for me only the half of it)

try find such good prices and go for it, playing rdr2 on a one x with a 4k television will blow my mind away lol

Man's has kids and birthdays and Xmas is coming up real quick. Difficult to justify £1k (at least) on myself.

However, black Friday is on the horizon!

Punkd

i originally planned to buy the xbox and the tv on black friday too, i am sure you will find sth cheap on this day

however, i am unable to wait 1 more month after the rdr release just for black friday haha

docholladay1976

Keep an eye out for sales.  I got lucky and picked mine up at 50% off.  I was blown away by how much better games looked.  Much more of an improvement (graphically) than I noticed from upgrading console.  

Sabre91

Let's be real, the game is going to look great on Xbox One, you guys sound like it's the difference between two generations. The big majority owns Ps4 and Xbox One and not the Pro/X-versions. The game was made for the standard consoles and just amped up a bit on the texture and resolution, perhaps slightly better shadows and draw distance. Not something that will stop you from enjoying the game's gorgeousness as you want to believe. If you're going to spend all that money on a new TV and console just for that minor difference, then go ahead. But believe me, the differences will not be night and day.

Save your money for the next generation and enjoy the game as much as the next man/woman.

Edited by Sabre91
Misspell

Spadeflush

It won't be that bad playing it on a base Xbone, as long as your TV is Full HD(1080p). 

OddProject
34 minutes ago, Sabre91 said:

Let's be real, the game is going to look great on Xbox One, you guys sound like it's the difference between two generations. The big majority owns Ps4 and Xbox One and not the Pro/X-versions. The game was made for the standard consoles and just amped up a bit on the texture and resolution, perhaps slightly better shadows and draw distance. Not something that will stop you from enjoying the game's gorgeousness as you want to believe. If you're going to spend all that money on a new TV and console just for that minor difference, then go ahead. But believe me, the differences will not be night and day.

Save your money for the next generation and enjoy the game as much as the next man/woman.

Thanks man. I might just splash out on a decent 4k TV on black friday for the family *ahem* and wait for the next gen console.

As you say, I'm sure the game will be awesome on the standard Xbox. GTA looked outstanding, so even if RDR2 is on par, I'll still be happy.

Ash_735

GTAV is 1080p on Xbox One and never got an X patch, RDR2 is different, it'll run the worst on Xbox One but the game is already coded for the updated consoles. Its fine if you don't think the difference is big to you but I'm just stating the facts, all recent showings of RDR2 have been on the PS4 Pro, including the latest gameplay videos. 

And 900p on 1080p isn't that bad, just a little blurry and aliased compared to true 1080p, but 900p on 2160p, yeah, you're going to see a downgrade by the scaling.