4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

...::[The Footy Desk]::... (Part 2)

Banks.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Sounds like it's Poch or Erik ten Hag now.

Honestly, I think you'll get neither of those. Both of them are in situations that are too comfortable to want to take such a risk. We don't see a lot of managers with contracts at good teams making transfers mid season. My estimate is it will take till next summer till United get someone they really want. They really missed out on Conte, that's for sure.

Edited by Eutyphro

There's an absolute ton of noise right around Poch being willing to join now, so I do think that one is potentially possible.

People say why would you leave but Poch's been wanting the United job for years and lets all be real, the PSG job is a poisoned chalice, the manager is there to win the CL and has no control over signings, so they're expected to make a team of mercenaries into CL winners through witchcraft. It'll work for them one season cause at some point through luck the players will all click and they'll win the CL, but that's all they can expect. You can't build anything there as a manager, it's simply something to put on your CV.

Meanwhile United's got a board who are dying for him to come, who'd back him and give him control over the signings, a club that suits many of his habits as a manager especially with young, and it's a club where he could potentially build something long trm. It's not like he'd be inheriting a bad squad, either. There's also talk that he personally wants to return to manage in the PL and his family is still in England which could influence things too.

The stickler is likely that PSG don't want to lose a manager mid season to us as it'd be a bit of a bad look, unless they can convince Zidane or something which I dunno the likelyhood of.

TheSantader25

I could see Poch happening but it's still unlikely. PSG might wanna bring Zidane to convince Mbappe to a new contract. Though I doubt he's gonna do it and he will join Real anyway IMO. There are a lot of IFs. Not good for United at all. But in the end, I don't think Poch is good enough. United will get themselves another mediocre manager again.

Edited by TheSantader25

smokeless6

Gotta be Roy Keane, no? :)

He'll bring the fire.

Congrats to Pedri for Golden Boy. I saw he made 52 appearances, which is amazing for a 17/18 year old.

• Like 1

More and more it looks like Poch might actually indeed arrive mid-season. Reports from France now that PSG aren't exactly amused by the reports surrounding him, which you'd think are directly from his camp.

TheSantader25

Give Carrick a contract NOW. 

De Gea is definitely back to his old self this season despite all United have gone through though. He really seems to step up when United go through rough patches.

Very important game against Benfica. A must win with so many injuries. I'm not confident at all. Tough start for Xavi. His career could already get destroyed tonight.

Edited by TheSantader25

We were all over the place in the first half, McFred were losing the ball constantly and we were bailed out by De Gea but a few tweaks and we looked really good in the last 25 mins. Sancho had a great game and got his goal and obviously it helps having that cheat code up front.

Nothing silly now Woodward I beg you, nothing silly.

TheSantader25

One of the more exciting 0-0 draws I've seen. It's gonna be almost impossible to go through this group now, but I'm proud of the team today because they gave it all. Maybe if we had a bit of fight in us like this from the beginning of the season, we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

Edited by TheSantader25

This morning's update in daily mess of Manchester United seems to be that Zidane's said no to PSG, which complicates Poch a bit.

There's talk of Valverde being open to the job on an interim basis which is a far more interesting name than was being thrown around for interim initially. If we do end up going that route I hope we don't hand him a 3 year deal the moment we get a few wins under the belt.

smokeless6
20 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Give Carrick a contract NOW.

I laugh, but....

He is undefeated, and who's the last United manager to never lose? I say a five-year deal is in the works.  He sure looks good in his club blazer and sweater, and anyway he never leaves the touchline and that's worth three or four wins.

• KEKW 1

Damn. Sounds like the board have did something I didn't expect and put faith in the football people they employ to do their job, instead of the board and Woodward just stumbling about.

Ralf Rangnick is gonna be the interim until the end of the season and after that will take up a consultancy position at the club for two years after. Won't be in charge for the Chelsea game due to work permit but that's okay, hopefully he'll be in early next week so he can have an impact on the squad for the game after.

Lonely-Martin

Oof! That's a bad one, lol.

Learned nothing, our back up/reserve squad is just shockingly awful and makes the first team play without fear of losing their place at all. The likes of Alli, Ndombele, Sanchez and others are clearly finished at Spurs, have been for a while now so it surprises me why Conte needed to have a look.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care about this cup, and maybe Conte doesn't and figured 'sod it' but it's a good place for us to use the squad to push for places in more important games (and the fact Conte started Kane and sent on bigger replacements suggests he wanted the win and find form etc).

But they really don't want to turn up, haven't for the last 2 managers and aren't showing to fancy it with another, so get rid. Let Alli f*ck off to Newcastle and play videogames while getting the easy money, and if we get a tenner for the rest, someone overpaid.

Honestly, many players in my club are just a f*cking embarrassment to the fans, the club, and the game overall. I just hope Levy allows Conte and Paratici do what he wouldn't let Mourinho do and kill the culture that plagues this Tottenham Hotspur squad and sacks the lot of 'em off with the odd exception.

TheSantader25

Honestly it's better for Spurs to drop out of that league. What's the f*cking purpose of that competition? It's so useless. It just occupies the mind of the coach and the players for no good reason.

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 1

Lonely-Martin
2 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

Honestly it's better for Spurs to drop out of that league. What's the f*cking purpose of that competition? It's so useless. It just occupies the mind of the coach and the players for no good reason.

True, and I agree regardless of pundits saying it's a cup we should win to get trophies. I don't care a hoot about it, lol.

But considering Conte's just starting, it's a game we could have used to grow confidence and for players to show their game to the new boss, and they all failed big time. Hopefully a good thing long term as we get rid of some of this lot, Janurary can't come quick enough. 🤣

• Like 1

It's absolutely daft to ignore that cup IMO.

Yes it's not got the prestige of a CL or even a EL or a domestic cup and yes it probably shouldn't exist but when was the last time Spurs won a trophy?

Don't understand why clubs in that position are picky about what competitions they care about, it's another chance of a trophy and a genuinely good chance of a trophy for Spurs.

Lonely-Martin
4 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's absolutely daft to ignore that cup IMO.

Yes it's not got the prestige of a CL or even a EL or a domestic cup and yes it probably shouldn't exist but when was the last time Spurs won a trophy?

Don't understand why clubs in that position are picky about what competitions they care about, it's another chance of a trophy and a genuinely good chance of a trophy for Spurs.

I'd rather sack it off and push for that open 4th place, we clearly haven't the squad for both and as we're 700m in debt, I'd rather we try and get the money than a minor trophy that really won't help long term debts like ours. Hell, 5th or 6th probably pays more.

It won't ease our rising debts, won't grow our standing, won't keep the likes of Kane happy (if there's even a chance), or won't attract a better calibre of player by allowing us the wage bill to do that.

As much as I'd enjoy the odd minor trophy, I'd much rather my club stay in business long term and I'm worried Levy might have bitten off more than he can chew with the debts rising.

I get the point and understand, I want to be able to want this trophy, that's what a fan should care about more than most. But for now we're on a knife edge and it could all go 'ping' anytime with how Levy done things. If we focus on this cup at the expense of league form, we're not too big to go down or fall further away, Leeds are a fine example of over-investing and it all going very wrong. I'd sooner sack off the ambition of this minor trophy if there's any chance of more money to help sustain us.

I don't like thinking like this, but I do want my club long term and if in 5 years we're royally screwed, looking back to 'that year we won the Euopa Conference' really wouldn't be of comfort if we're fighting for an FA trophy, lol.

• Like 1

TheSantader25

I do not know a single person who watches the conference league honestly and I have pretty wide array of football fans around me throughout the day. It's a pointless trophy. There's no pride in winning it. It's like winning the Audi cup or something. 

32 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

I'd rather sack it off and push for that open 4th place

I've had similar lines of thinking in the past but honestly watching your team win a trophy is far more important a few years down the line, no one remembers 4th place finishes. You'll also look like numpties come end of the season and you didn't make top four.

Yea it's not some big cup and all that but that's easy for fans to say when they watch their teams in the CL or even EL, but there's a sh*t ton of teams in that cup who would love to win it. If United were in it I'd want them to go for it tbh.

Plus, experience winning trophies no matter how big or small can be very important steps for developing squads and all that.

When you get a red card after half an hour and lose against a team nobody has ever heard of, that sucks, but I think Conte has a plan for this team, and people have to be patient with it.

Lonely-Martin
29 minutes ago, Jason said:

I've had similar lines of thinking in the past but honestly watching your team win a trophy is far more important a few years down the line, no one remembers 4th place finishes. You'll also look like numpties come end of the season and you didn't make top four.

Yea it's not some big cup and all that but that's easy for fans to say when they watch their teams in the CL or even EL, but there's a sh*t ton of teams in that cup who would love to win it. If United were in it I'd want them to go for it tbh.

Plus, experience winning trophies no matter how big or small can be very important steps for developing squads and all that.

We Spurs fans will remember things better if this spell triggers good change that leads to progress. I never said we'd make 4th, but in going for that we'll have a better chance at 5th or 6th which I said is also more money. We haven't the squad to try for that and a cup.

Besides, I don't want 90% of this squad developed, I want most of it gone and a major rebuild. They've had too many chances under too many managers, it's them that's a problem. And we need money to build while paying debts. 

Winning this would do nothing other than teach an already mediocre bunch that mediocrity is good enough. We've had years of that and it gets us nothing but the odd cup. Time for Conte to be given carte blanche to fix things. Ambition in a minor cup can wait for now.

15 minutes ago, Eutyphro said:

When you get a red card after half an hour and lose against a team nobody has ever heard of, that sucks, but I think Conte has a plan for this team, and people have to be patient with it.

Yeah, lol. A bad one but hopefully Conte gets to say to Levy just what's up.

I feel Jose tried but Levy wasn't having it. Let's hope a lesson was learned there and Conte gets what Jose couldn't.

Conte's post match comments are harsh as f*ck lmao. This one in particular is kinda bonkers to here from a brand new manager:

"I am happy to stay here but at the same time I must be honest and tell you we need to work a lot to improve the quality of the squad. We are Tottenham and in this moment there is an important gap [to the top teams in England]."

Four weeks in and he's started a sentence with "I am happy to stay here but", oooooooooooooooooof. He'll walk in the summer if not January if he feels Levy isn't backing him, which I imagine he promised he would.

He's bang on the money though, and if Spurs fail under Conte then the board and squad have zero excuses.

Lonely-Martin
34 minutes ago, Jason said:

Conte's post match comments are harsh as f*ck lmao. This one in particular is kinda bonkers to here from a brand new manager:

"I am happy to stay here but at the same time I must be honest and tell you we need to work a lot to improve the quality of the squad. We are Tottenham and in this moment there is an important gap [to the top teams in England]."

Four weeks in and he's started a sentence with "I am happy to stay here but", oooooooooooooooooof. He'll walk in the summer if not January if he feels Levy isn't backing him, which I imagine he promised he would.

He's bang on the money though, and if Spurs fail under Conte then the board and squad have zero excuses.

Just saw Jamie O'Hara's views on Sky Sports News, he's got it spot on. Get rid, big time. Totally agree with Conte though, major job here.

But if Levy don't back him and this goes tits up, that's got to be Levy done for. There's already plenty of Spurs fans wanting him/Joe Lewis/ENIC out and/or are cautious of the debt and Levy making all the transfer decisions etc, but that'll grow significantly if Conte walks because Levy and Co refuse to let a manager genuinely change the culture at the club.

I'm a patient chap and can only hope after Poch, Jose, Nuno and now Conte that Levy has finally learned to buck up, but I'll be joining the calls for Levy and co to go if this goes wrong (like I honestly expect given recent history).

TheSantader25

I mean if Conte can't fix this team, who can? They will be pretty much deemed unfixable.

Edited by TheSantader25

smokeless6
14 hours ago, Jason said:

"I am happy to stay here but at the same time I must be honest

Saw that this morning and thought well that sounds ominous. We hardly knew ye! Haha, well, might as well get it all out on the table and roll up the sleeves. But a taskmaster managing a team of unmotivated players is a recipe for fireworks.

I have one problem with the Europa League, and if my team were in it I'd want them to treat it as important. The only competition for English clubs I don't care about is the League Cup, I mean I still call it the Carling Cup for cryin' out loud. The only problem I have with the Europa League is the parachute of failing Champion's League teams. Those sides should go home for their failures, not drop down on to a soft landing in the Europa. Let the teams who qualified battle it out, not have the competition suddenly have Inter or Atletico or whoever suddenly drop in and win it all.

43 minutes ago, smokeless6 said:

The only problem I have with the Europa League is the parachute of failing Champion's League teams.

100% agree. On one hand some smaller teams might argue a big CL club coming to visit could be good for for them, but I do think it belittles the tournament somewhat.

As for the League Cup... yea idk with that one. I'm a traditionalist so I kinda like it, and a cup is a cup, but I do think it'd be more exciting if it excluded Prem teams. The gap between the top PL times and the Championship and lower is just too much. Or perhaps make it so if you qualify for Europe in any capacity you don't enter the League cup? Something like that could be interesting, I suppose.

I just generally like the idea of smaller clubs have a bigger chance at a televised trophy tbh.

smokeless6

I still watch the league cup, but if my team puts out academy players I don't seem to mind. It's a far fourth in terms of importance (League/Europe/FA Cup/League Cup). You can't prioritize everything if you're in all those competitions, so the league cup is demoted to 'let's hope the youngsters can pull a blinder'.

I've also thought about excluding the EPL teams from the League Cup and I think it's a great idea. I get that there would be blowback over the idea, but I think it would be good for the competition, tradition aside. The last final that offered up unfancied sides was 2013, when Swansea beat Bradford City, was it? The romance is gone, but without the EPL sides it could return, giving other teams a real chance at silverware.

Edited by smokeless6

smokeless6

Liverpool took care of business. Finally I get to see my first-choice eleven. Konate over Matip, yes please, and Thiago back in form. The midfield of Fabinho, Thiago and Henderson is a little off, as all three are players who play best in the center of the park. But they make it work, and that's two in two for Thiago. Such a smooth footballer, he is.

Jota up front. I'm a big fan of Firmino, such a smart player, but Jota's just a better finisher. Firmino has great link-up, all the flicks and tricks. He'd thrive I think in a partnership with a poacher-type striker. But Liverpool don't play that way and Jota does a better job of finding space and putting away his chances.

Come on West Ham! And a draw or United win tomorrow please.

Well you got your wish lol.

Take that result no problem, I was thinking the worst when we sacked Ole because of the mess we very quickly created for our selves, but between these two games and Rangnick being sorted it's been pretty smooth. Rangnick should be in very early this week if not tomorrow so he should be able to get some training sessions in with the squad before the next game and then we can (hopefully!) start to kick on in the league and climb back up the table.

It's a huge one too given their form and position in the table - Arsenal at OT.

I had doubts about this tactic, but in hindsight I think it was the right choice, though I would like to have seen Donny start over one of the DM's.

Edited by Eutyphro

18 hours ago, Jason said:

Well you got your wish lol.

Yes indeed. A good result, if only West ham could have found another goal it would have been a great weekend. As it is, just two points cover Chelsea, City and Liverpool now. But the Christmas crunch of games tends to shake things out and we'll see how they all sit come New Year's Day. All three of these teams are capable of winning it all, and it should be a cracking title chase.

United got a point yes, but that flattered them I thought. Chelsea controlled the match and really should have come out on top, but it's not pictures it's numbers and on that it was spoils shared.

Juventus are in trouble perhaps, offices raided over improper shenanigans involving transfers.  No manager bounce at Newcastle. Dortmund are so much better with Haaland (duh) and Barca win again.