4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

...::[The Footy Desk]::... (Part 2)

Banks.

TheSantader25

Pedri has relapsed again. What a surprise. I honestly think Koeman already knew he was getting sacked and sent in the most stupid line up against Benfica. Cause nothing about the line up in that game makes sense to me. This feud between the board and Koeman though hasn't helped at all. If you want someone back him, if you don't sack him. Keeping him in limbo only hurts Barca.

EDIT: seems like he's staying. Nevermind.

Edited by TheSantader25

Eutyphro

Laporta finally doing something decent for a change. Koeman is the right coach for Barca and needs to be given trust and time, simple as that.

Lonely-Martin

Woo-hoo, 3 points!

And more than one goal scored too. What a treat.

Don't fancy Man Utd's next bunch of games given how many chances they give. Could be a key spell. Also, well done Brentford again.

• Like 1

Halal Cyborg

I need Bayern Munich to win against Eintracht Frankfurt today as the final part of a 5 game accumulator so am watching a stream.

The Allianz Arena is half full as far as I can see!

06e2c85d73fa5eb6a1b980070f41f71b.png

My team did very well to come back against Leicester…we have strong character and Olise is a huge talent to watch…scored a great goal!

Edited by Halal Cyborg

smokeless6

Interesting results yesterday. PSG, Bayern and Madrid all lost against unfancied opposition.

The Liverpool-City match was fantastic, and Salah's goal was out of this world. The strike was excellent, but the way he shimmied free to set it up was magical footwork.  A draw was a fair result on balance I think.

Halal Cyborg
9 hours ago, smokeless6 said:

Interesting results yesterday. PSG, Bayern and Madrid all lost against unfancied opposition.

And Sevilla beaten by Granada, Ajax lost at home to Utrecht & Benfica lost at home to Portimonense.

Truly a day to f*ck up an accumulator.

The odds on these results would have made me very rich if i had a time machine.

Halal Cyborg

Yves Bissouma arrested on suspicion of sexual assault.

Lonely-Martin

Couldn't care less if Newcastle get new owners, but if I'm not mistaken it's the same chap in bed with Vince McMahon and WWE where there's been a bit of controversy, from being stopped from leaving Saudi Arabia to missed payments to Vince. I dunno.

But the Newcastle mob seem to be in party mood, lol. Good luck to 'em.

Would laugh if they got relegated though!

Eutyphro
5 hours ago, Halal Cyborg said:

3c69f1ede68b92c371f660c4092fe803.jpg

Sheikh Mansour is supposedly richer than Bin Salman, so I don't think that's accurate. The rest of the chart also seems very inaccurate.

Edited by Eutyphro

Halal Cyborg
2 hours ago, Eutyphro said:

Sheikh Mansour is supposedly richer than Bin Salman, so I don't think that's accurate. The rest of the chart also seems very inaccurate.

03e6a68777d03386087703e35c1b04eb.jpg

Eutyphro

By that measure:

Abu Dhabi Investment Authority - Wikipedia

The Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA) is a sovereign wealth fund owned by the Emirate of Abu Dhabi (in the United Arab Emirates) founded for the purpose of investing funds on behalf of the Government of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. It manages the Emirate's excess oil reserves, estimated to be $649 billion.

Edited by Eutyphro
  • Like 1

TheSantader25

Yeah with the way football is going, there's no place for clubs like us anymore. We may have to sell out soon as well. The new FFP rules are also totally against bundesliga and fan owned clubs. It's impossible to sustain this. This game is dusted.

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
smokeless6

When we were offering opinions on who will be relegated from the EPL I put up Watford, and on this display that looks possible. Against Liverpool, after 20 minutes, Watford had completed 19 passes to Liverpool's 206! Abject performance, and in Ranieri's debut. We always see a new manager bounce in this league, so this performance has to be ringing alarm bells. They went on to a 5-nil drubbing, and honestly it could have been more. Liverpool go top, pending later matches.

Edited by smokeless6
  • Like 2

I'm not sure it is Ranieri's fault that much, I think the idividual quality is just shockingly terrible.

• Like 1

smokeless6

Right, not blaming the manager necessarily, but the fact that there wasn't more intensity, industry and application on his debut. Watford aren't brimming with quality (hence my shout for relegation) but I expected more than this.

• Like 1

Halal Cyborg

Liverpool are an incredible team lets not forget

• Like 1

Think Ole has taken United as far as his skills allow, he doesn't know how to manage a squad of this quality. Supposed to be challenging for the title this year, probably not winning it, but up there, and we've already dropped too many points to do that despite the fact that we've not played any of the traditional big teams yet. Always looking defensively shaky, poor midfield play and an attack built on individual play, it aint good enough. We go a goal down and he swaps a holding midfielder for Scott McTominay instead of perhaps giving Donny a try.

Conte's available and a proven winner, it's a no brainer now. The standard of the league is too good to be sentimental, if form continues and I see no reason why it won't especially with the games coming up we may be battling to stay in the top 4 race by Christmas.

• Like 2

Lonely-Martin

Yeah, Watford looked shockingly bad. I know Liverpool have some real quality but it looked like premier league vs league 1, let alone championship quality. 

United really needed the win today too with the coming run of games, or at least not lose. That was a bad one I feel. Ole could be out before Steve Bruce if this keeps up, especially as United know Newcastle will try everything to bring in a top manager (weather they can remains to be seen of course). Might force United's hand quicker.

Reading comments from United fans and the overall sentiment seems to be the same. There's no hate or anger towards Ole, the fans will always love and the man and he's steadied the ship but we haven't kicked on this season from last season despite the great transfer window. I imagine it'll take a few more defeats for the Glazer's to act but all signs look to be pointing to Ole leaving if we want to win a title again.

I'd say that knowing Ole he'll get a few scalps from our upcoming run of huge games that'll buy him more time but Pogba's comments after the game make me think he's losing the dressing room now. I just hope it doesn't get ugly tbh.

• Like 1

Lonely-Martin
10 minutes ago, Jason said:

Reading comments from United fans and the overall sentiment seems to be the same. There's no hate or anger towards Ole, the fans will always love and the man and he's steadied the ship but we haven't kicked on this season from last season despite the great transfer window. I imagine it'll take a few more defeats for the Glazer's to act but all signs look to be pointing to Ole leaving if we want to win a title again.

I'd say that knowing Ole he'll get a few scalps from our upcoming run of huge games that'll buy him more time but Pogba's comments after the game make me think he's losing the dressing room now. I just hope it doesn't get ugly tbh.

Much like Frank Lampard with the Chelsea fans, his managerial career at the club not being what many hoped won't tarnish the love the fans have for the player. Ole rightfully will always be in United fans hearts I'm sure.

Even if it got ugly, the fan's would probably side with Ole over the likes of Pogba, lol.

TheSantader25

I do not understand why Ole decides to play boring football with such a quality squad. On top of that I think Van de Beek can add so much to this team and I don't understand why he doesn't use him at all. 

His role in United's growth is undeniable but it's trophy time and he's simply not good enough for that. If United are quick enough and bring Conte they could still have a chance at the title race. But if they wait too long, the other 3 will sail away.

Edited by TheSantader25

smokeless6
1 hour ago, Halal Cyborg said:

Liverpool are an incredible team lets not forget

Agreed (Liverpool supporter)

But Watford saw 24% of the ball and did nothing with it. I don't expect them to get a result here, but to at least look like they're in the right league. Liverpool played well, but this isn't just down to them. Something more fundamental to do with the Hornets I reckon.

Mendy, take a bow!

What a game that was against Brentford... they deserved a point but Mendy kept literally everything out. Absolutely immense, Brentford could have driven a truck into the goal and Mendy would have kept that out too!

It was a game of two halves but Tuchel has some serious problem sorting out our offense because, at the moment, it's just not working. The defense has kept us up there but there's no way we can keep holding onto the top spot without finishing our chances.

Halal Cyborg
3 hours ago, smokeless6 said:

Agreed (Liverpool supporter)

But Watford saw 24% of the ball and did nothing with it. I don't expect them to get a result here, but to at least look like they're in the right league. Liverpool played well, but this isn't just down to them. Something more fundamental to do with the Hornets I reckon.

True but Liverpool could wallop a number of teams by the same scoreline.  You beat us (palace) 3-0 even if we were a bit unlucky to lose by that margin & you crushed us 7-0 at selhurst last season before becoming sh*t for a bit and losing at home to everyone and their mother.

Edited by Halal Cyborg

Lonely-Martin

Awful start, but we came back strong there and that's good to see from our lads. Nice goal from Kane to get if the mark. Shame the game has been stopped from our footballing POV, but here's hoping the Newcastle fan is ok there as that's much more important of course. Such a shame their party is seeing this.

Fan's said to be ok. Game back on. Good news.

Lol, Dier trying to make sure we don't get too comfy, but 3 points against what could have easily been a banana skin will do. Cool.

Edited by Lonely-Martin

smokeless6
On 10/7/2021 at 5:31 PM, Lonely-Martin said:

Would laugh if they got relegated though!

European glory is a long way from the Championship. Newcastle had better turn a corner if they hope to stay up.

The atmosphere at the start was electric. I found myself swept up in it, even on tele, and when Wilson struck it seemed for a time that Newcastle's ascendancy had arrived.

But of course they've still got Shelvey, and well, someone pulled the plug and Toon slumped to another defeat. I feel sympathy for Bruce who will surely be on his sword soon, this can't go on, especially given the outlay.

Calling Big Sam, or whichever firefighter they bring in to stave off the drop. Three from eight's relegation form for certain, and the oil boys had better pony up in January.  I won't take any pleasure from it, these fans have suffered enough, though it would feel satisfying that even obscene amounts of money thrown at any particular problem isn't a guaranteed fix. Football's more organic than that, not clinical like a mathematical problem or treating a skin rash. To stop the rot, just inject cash can't be the cure. Well it can I suppose, but a massive-cash-infused-drop to semi obscurity in the Championship will feel like a win for the working class, aside from those on one half of Tyneside, however fleeting it may be.

Edited by smokeless6
  • Like 2

Lonely-Martin
2 hours ago, smokeless6 said:

European glory is a long way from the Championship. Newcastle had better turn a corner if they hope to stay up.

The atmosphere at the start was electric. I found myself swept up in it, even on tele, and when Wilson struck it seemed for a time that Newcastle's ascendancy had arrived.

But of course they've still got Shelvey, and well, someone pulled the plug and Toon slumped to another defeat. I feel sympathy for Bruce who will surely be on his sword soon, this can't go on, especially given the outlay.

Calling Big Sam, or whichever firefighter they bring in to stave off the drop. Three from eight's relegation form for certain, and the oil boys had better pony up in January.  I won't take any pleasure from it, these fans have suffered enough, though it would feel satisfying that even obscene amounts of money thrown at any particular problem isn't a guaranteed fix. Football's more organic than that, not clinical like a mathematical problem or treating a skin rash. To stop the rot, just inject cash can't be the cure. Well it can I suppose, but a massive-cash-infused-drop to semi obscurity in the Championship will feel like a win for the working class, aside from those on one half of Tyneside, however fleeting it may be.

Oh blimey, when they scored so early on with how that stadium was rocking, I thought my Spurs were in real trouble. Can't be sure what Tottenham turns up these days, lol. 

But from Spurs footballing POV, we did very well in taking control back which can't hurt our confidence. Oliver Skipp is starting to become a real key part of how we play and I'm pleased for the lad too. We all love a home grown player, lol. He let's Ndombele play much better too (though he needs go really put a run together now), but of course, Newcastle helped by not pushing on after the early lead. 

But yeah, can't help but feel for Bruce, or any manager Newcastle have had of late really. The fans don't seem keen to give Bruce a chance though, but not alot the manager can do when a sub comes on just to get 2 silly bookings like that. Had they stayed with 11 on the pitch when Dier scored the own goal, we'd have been sweating much more.

They're already 3 points off Leeds who are 17th so could be a long way to Janurary and if that gap grows (which I feel could as Leeds at least will get better once injuries ease up), they could be way off and very hard to attract players aside those only keen on the money. Clubs and players both now know Newcastle can pay well, do they'll set high prices or wage demands for sure.

West Ham and United up next for us though, oof! Be a long fortnight for us Spurs. 

smokeless6

There's no one more unpopular on Tyneside than Steve Bruce I don't think. Well, now that Ashley's gone of course.

The Toon Army can't see the back of him fast enough. This was always going to be a tough gig, and with the cash-taps set to open he'll be cast aside just as the resources to turn it all around materialize. One of my Newcastle supporting friends refers to Bruce as cabbage, which carries no affection I can tell you. They dislike his tactics, his team selection, and just about everything, but I've always felt this animosity doesn't properly take the quality of the playing staff in to accurate account.

Personally I've no horse in this race, but I find myself railing against this particular ownership group. Any Newcastle fans here? If I were, I'd be torn to the point of excess drinking over the dreams of European dominance counterbalanced by the fact my club is now controlled by the Saudi royal family. I see this as a vanity project and "sportswashing", a term that means using a position in a prestigious sport to polish a tarnished image. Everyone is tripping over themselves to claim 'assurances' that Newcastle are not, in fact, controlled by the people whose money is being spent.  I don't buy it, but not much can be done about this now, it's done and dusted, with the fit and proper persons test being rather narrow in its view of what should encompass fit and proper.

• Like 1

TheSantader25

Liverpool's defense is very shaky this season. They look very exciting and dangerous but with this defense it's gonna be difficult to win trophies. Van Dijk still hasn't performed as well as his pre-injury form.