• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eutyphro

• Jason

• TheSantader25

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GG England. I'm incredibly happy for Italy's win. Being an Italy supporter for 40 years now (started when I was 9y old in the 1982 WC) and finally I could celebrate a EURO win.   W

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8986821/Diego-Maradona-died-suffering-cardiac-arrest-according-reports.html   Holy sh*t, quite unexpected. RIP, you crazy legend.

The Champions League final in pictures   First Half     First Half interruption and half time entertainment     Second Half    

Lonely-Martin
4 hours ago, Scott. said:

God England were sh*t weren't they?

It wasn't exactly a stellar performance, but I must say, we were playing it like a friendly more so where as Austria seemed more keen to have a go at us in the tackle and we got the job done and broke them down in the end.

Good experience for the younger players too, Bellingham for example looked very settled out there for a 17 year old and the game time is always welcomed plus we were missing plenty of first team players like Foden and co. Just a shame Trent pulled up as his crossing is often great, but fortunately we're not short of right backs, lol.

RenegadeAngel

Euro predictions, guys? I'm rooting for Italy, but think Belgium's gonna grab it. It's about time they win something. Also interested to see what England manages to do with their nice-looking squad as well as Croatia and France after their phenomenal WC performance. 

My bet would be on Germany, but I also do like Italy as well. And Portugal has a quite great squad. I quite like them as well.

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)

It's insane how many world class players France have. It's theirs to lose. Portugal have a great squad too. England can be a contender as well BUT they need to stop being their usual self and actually unleash all this potential. The safest bet is France. Italy could be this competition's surprise.

Edited by TheSantader25

France have to be the clear favourites, with their biggest disadvantage being that awful group. A couple of draws and suddenly it may get sketchy for them.

I agree that Italy could be a dark horse of sorts. Belgium are obviously strong, but I'm unsure how some of their recent injuries will hamper them.

Pessimistic always with England, we obviously have the squad to go very far, but we've had that countless times before and look where that got us. We were massively flattered in the last World Cup, and if we put in similar performances we'll do well to make it past the quarters.

France are favourites, Portugal dark horses.

The England squad need to find a spine and a winning mentality from somewhere if we want to win it, I still don't know if the experience is there in the big big games, and Maguire and Henderson aren't 100% fit, which is a big ol' spanner in the works especially if Maguire can't play.

RenegadeAngel

Fonseca to Spurs? A very shady move on Tottenham's part if true. He's a promising coach, but no way near the level necessary to manage a team of such high standards. It seems to me there is some dirty game going on on the higher level of management. I can't explain this move otherwise.

The Spurs situation is basically all the managers they want to manage them turned them down because it's a bad job due to Levy, the state of the squad and their best player wanting to leave.

Now Levy is desperate to get somebody in before the pre-season starts, he's lowered his standards from a few weeks ago when he rattled on about wanting to bring someone in with the "Spurs DNA", and has brought in someone who will snap Levy's hands off for the job because he never thought in a million years he'd get a top 6 (8?) Premier League job anytime soon.

Basically, they've Spurs'd it. Though... I think that phrase should be renamed to "Levy'd it", as the problem starts with him.

RenegadeAngel
13 minutes ago, Jason said:

The Spurs situation is basically all the managers they want to manage them turned them down because it's a bad job due to Levy, the state of the squad and their best player wanting to leave.

Now Levy is desperate to get somebody in before the pre-season starts, he's lowered his standards from a few weeks ago when he rattled on about wanting to bring someone in with the "Spurs DNA", and has brought in someone who will snap Levy's hands off for the job because he never thought in a million years he'd get a top 6 (8?) Premier League job anytime soon.

Basically, they've Spurs'd it. Though... I think that phrase should be renamed to "Levy'd it", as the problem starts with him.

But why Fonseca? I'm pretty sure there are better candidates for the "comfortable, no demands" type coach, with PL experience even...

Just to give you some perspective – a Russian club that I support was in serious talks with Fonseca this April. Paulo was interested too, but obviously was too hungry salary-wise(he wanted 5 million a year, I think). That's the only reason he might not be in Russian now! And now he's about to manage Son, Lloris and Kane? HAHAHHAH

Lonely-Martin

Quite glad we walked from Conte though if reports are true because he's said to have no interest in using our youth which is a very Spurs thing which does line up with what Levy said, and wants to cane our bank. We're in no position to draw in the huge players that'll get us winning the league as immediately as he'll want so it'd be a huge gamble and I'd rather fight for 6th than get 4th once and be bankrupt thereafter and 'do a Leeds' as we're not exactly comfy after that stadium and pandemic reducing income. 

That said, I've never even heard of this Fonseca chap. If he gets the job, we'll see, but it's not gonna set our world on fire I don't think, plus it'd be a bit odd that us and Roma are basically switching managers.

Then again, the right club at the right time and anything can happen, got no choice but to give him (or whoever) time to try. But look at Rodgers after it not happening at Liverpool, a bit of time north of the border and he's settled in well at Leicester.

But alas, it's all just paper fluff, we'll see what happens. They're keen to link us with damn near everyone, lol.

Anyway, Euro's...

Can't ever rule out the Germans of course or any of the bigger nations like Italy, France or the like. Belgium too.

England though, I can see us do our usual and reach the quarter finals, semi's if we're lucky. Just don't think we'll have the bottle to really attack a team like Germany, France etc in the latter stages and we'll come undone. I feel we'll play safe enough under Southgate and do ok but nothing special.

Although if Grealish and Foden are given licence they could be the one's that change the game for us. They do like to get at players and with Kane in there either up top and poaching or dropping deep to feed those 2 lads on the counter, that could be interesting. Just feel we're suspect defensively unfortunately, even if maguire was fit. Our strength is in attack.

The big story will be all about taking the knee and the booing though, such has been the lead up for us so far. Unfortunate. I just hope things cool down and the tournament is talked about for the football on offer and things go smoothly.

9 hours ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Quite glad we walked from Conte though if reports are true because he's said to have no interest in using our youth which is a very Spurs thing which does line up with what Levy said

It wasn't true. Conte plays youth, as proven by his time at Inter.

All that stuff came out after Conte pulled out, it was basically Levy trying to save face using the media by spewing bollocks.

I'm betting the reason Conte pulled out was because he realised the club wouldn't be as ambitious as he had hoped. Or rather, Levy wouldn't.

Lonely-Martin
32 minutes ago, Jason said:

It wasn't true. Conte plays youth, as proven by his time at Inter.

All that stuff came out after Conte pulled out, it was basically Levy trying to save face using the media by spewing bollocks.

I'm betting the reason Conte pulled out was because he realised the club wouldn't be as ambitious as he had hoped. Or rather, Levy wouldn't.

To be fair, I tend to just see it all as the media spinning us bollocks anyway, lol. Rare we get the truth and until things are confirmed, I'm not one to really believe anything. 

I don't believe Levy is unambiguous though, just a bit tight with the purse strings in general but the pandemic etc hasn't helped. Conte probably realised we'd use the Kane cash if it comes to balance things up a bit and he'd not get all that to invest. To be fair, that's why he left Inter after all. 

We need the overhaul of course, but got to be careful and not get caught out too. 

Edited by Lonely-Martin
More pap.

No Euro prediction league this year??

Good start from Italy, but Turkey were absolutely useless in every sense of the word. That keeper, oh my word, his distribution was some of the worst I've seen in ages, he put so much pressure on his team and didn't give the forwards anything to work with at all.

Most promising thing for Italy wasn't the style of play, any good team would play like that vs that crock of poo, but they looked properly fit. Never stopped pressing, which is a dangerous sign for other teams.

FortifiedGooner86
On 6/8/2021 at 6:40 PM, RenegadeAngel said:

Euro predictions, guys? 

Obviously, I'm rooting for England here but I'm gonna stay realistic and say that we'll get to the quarter/semi final stage. I don't think we'll win the Euros with Southgate in charge.

Winners - France. Their squad is immaculate.

Dark Horses -  Well, it's between three countries for me: Germany, Italy and Portugal. All of them are good but if I had to pick one, I'd probably pick Portugal as they've got a very experienced squad.

Tournament Flops - Belgium & Spain. Both of them are ageing and suffering from injuries.

Lonely-Martin

f*cking hell, they're actually trying to save Erikson's life here. This is so scary and grim.

So glad to see pictures arriving that Erikson's awake and I hope he's gonna be ok after that.

Edited by Lonely-Martin
  • Like 4

RenegadeAngel

f*ck me sideways! After what has to be one of the greatest comeback stories in football recently, this happens? Life is the greatest screenwriter indeed. Thoughts and prayers, man, thoughts and prayers...

• Like 2

He's awake and stable, so that's great news. Hope he recovers well.

Wondering though whether today's games are going to be finished, but most important is that Christian is improving. He's very beloved at Ajax as well.

• Like 2

Lonely-Martin

Sky Sports are saying the game restarts at 7.30 UK time and they'll play the last 4 mins of the 1st half, then a 5 minute break then the 2nd half.

Apparently the players are all for it now it's good news on Erikson, but I must say, feels a bit weird though.

• Like 2

FortifiedGooner86

It was distressing to watch. I hope Christian recovers from this.

• Like 1

One of if not the worst thing I've ever seen on a football pitch. The pictures were absolutely terrible and should never have been aired for as long as they were.

Amazing news since then though, hopefully he can make a full recovery and hopefully he'll be able to play again.

Makes you really, really think, if it can happen to an elite level footballer it can happen to anyone, that's what makes it so terrifying.

• Like 3

JumpingKentFlash

He seems ok now. There’ll be a press conference at 14 UK time. 
It was really scary to see. They’ve talked to the docs from Inter and Tottenham. The records show that Eriksen had an immaculate heart rhythm. So it came out of the blue really.

• Like 1

• Like 2
  • YEE 1

Lonely-Martin

We weren't electric but a good win no less, something we can hopefully build on as we go into the tournament. Bring on the Scots! :)

The first game is always nervy, the fact it was the first time England have won their first game at a Euro's tells you that. So good result on that front, we had spells were we looked solid, but obviously keeping up the press we had going for 90 minutes in that heat isn't gonna happen.

Overall a solid performance against the best team in the group, something to build on for sure.

• Like 1

Lonely-Martin
1 hour ago, Jason said:

The first game is always nervy, the fact it was the first time England have won their first game at a Euro's tells you that. So good result on that front, we had spells were we looked solid, but obviously keeping up the press we had going for 90 minutes in that heat isn't gonna happen.

Overall a solid performance against the best team in the group, something to build on for sure.

Yep, exactamundo. Having the likes of a Rashford or Grielish to add to the mix too only gives us more reason to be looking forward as if a Sterling or Foden does have a quiet game, we've got great options. Phillips looked really good today too, and Rice seemed to be in the right places as well. Looking good indeed.

Must add, so glad Erikson seems ok. Like you @Jason, that was one of the most awful moments I've seen as a football fan. The Muamba one at the lane too of course, but the cameras didn't show what the BBC did yesterday. Tough images to shake, but great to hear he seems to be in good spirits now.

Blimey! I never realised that a fan fell off the stadium at Wembley today too. Crazy!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12331827/england-vs-croatia-fan-in-serious-condition-after-fall-at-wembley-during-euro-2020-match

Edited by Lonely-Martin

It's so europop, I love it.

Lonely-Martin

Well... we got Europe's elite quaking in their boots now. /s

No c*nt wanted to give Kane the ball it seemed all too often. Twice now he's been hauled off which isn't good at all when you think of how capable he can be, but alas, a bad game from our cap. Only gives opponants confidence though as if anyone can make a goal out of nothing it's him. 

Scotland played well and if they had a goalscorer in there, could have nicked it TBH.

England were absolutely terrified of losing on their home turf, in front of their home crowd (who have only just got back into stadiums) in the Euros. Simple as that.

Fullbacks weren't high, we had no third man runs from midfield, slow tempo, not getting players into the box, the works pretty much. The Rashford for Kane sub made sense on paper, balls over the top, get in behind... but we played no different.

Southgate's favouritism hurt him as well, Foden looked better than Sterling all game but it was Foden that got dragged. I understand wanting a more natural winger for width but yea...