3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Banks.

...::[The Footy Desk]::... (Part 2)

Tchuck

Missing Pogba for the return leg too, man... Yeah, it was a nice try.

Though, PSG are known for bottling it on the second leg when they should wrap it up easily. Who knows!

Question: Why wasn't Lukaku starting?

Eutyphro

I missed much of the first half, but here's my two cents. They should've brought Lukaku earlier. His physicality could've helped them a lot. Alexis Sanchez brought nothing. From what I saw United was outclassed in midfield in the second half. And without Lukaku they didn't really have the physicality to be dangerous from crosses. PSG have some quality defenders and were defending well.

PSG got Paredes in the winter break, which is a player United should've also chased. Paredes is a Kroos type player, exactly what United miss. If you can bring such a player to replace Verratti then you've indeed got midfield options.

Anyway, Rabiot is leaving PSG on a free transfer. United should definitely try to get him. He's good enough to be a starter in my view. Definitely better than Fred or Pereira imo.

Edited by Eutyphro

Jason

Lukaku hasn't been a starter under Ole, he's just not well suited to the style of play Ole wants and that we've had success with. He's been an impact of the bench in a few games but when he starts we always look worse.

Eutyphro

Yeah, I understand starting Marcus in the striker position. He's shown much more quality than Romelu on that position recently. But considering United was losing the midfield battle he should've opted for physicality and brought Lukaku in stead of Sanchez. It's easy to say in hindsight, but I think it's true. United primarily creates danger through crosses, and decent crosses towards Lukaku + Pogba in the box will be a challenge to every defence no matter how good. Sanchez was very disappointing. If he still hasn't found form by the end of the season they should ship him to another team. I was also rather unimpressed by Mata from what I have seen the second half. United really needs an extra creative player.

Jason

Sanchez coming on was a fine idea IMO, he was utter sh*t but w/e. We should've brought on Lukaku instead of Mata though, as much as I love Mata he just aint mad for that type of match, or for our style of play really.

TheSantader25

Lukaku's finishing has been dogsh*t in the past two years. Though I believe Belgium used him better in the World Cup making him get more involved in the physical battles further away from the box. 

Jason

Lukaku's finishing is actually the best part of his game. He was one of our best and most reliable players last year. He's at his weakest when he's not in the box, his touch, hold up and link up play is horrendous and he also is extremely poor at winning headers from long balls from deep, he misjudges it constantly and doesn't know how to win it over a big centreback.

He's pretty useless outside the box to be frank, which is why Ole dropped him.

Tchuck

Lol look at the ref helping Real out already. How the f*ck was that an offside? I could see it from the original header, and even that was onside, but from the header that led to

the goal? Absolutely ridiculous! AND he had VAR to look at it! How the hell did that guy take part on the goal?

Jason

Massive from Spurs that. Watching Vertonghen was was like watching prime Roberto Carlos at times. Also I'd almost go as far as saying that Spurs with Alli is a better team tbh.

Wolver_321
1 hour ago, Tchuck said:

Lol look at the ref helping Real out already. How the f*ck was that an offside? I could see it from the original header, and even that was onside, but from the header that led to

the goal? Absolutely ridiculous! AND he had VAR to look at it! How the hell did that guy take part on the goal?

What? Are you pretending to see Real Madrid knocked out in the last 16 by a Dutch team? You're joking! :)

Anyway nice usage of the VAR in these 2 days... 

TheSantader25

Hate it when good hard working teams like Ajax gotta lose to madrid because of the ref. It should've been 2-1 to Ajax. I'm tired of sh*tty refreeing in favor of Madrid in CL in the past couple of years. Isn't it time to let someone else win this trophy? 

Edited by TheSantader25

Laker23

Disappointed but can't say I didn't expect the loss. Game completely changed when we lost Martial and Lingz. Might as well have played with 10 instead of Sanchez. Hopefully we can bounce back against Chelsea otherwise I'd really worry going into the Pool game.

Impressed with Spurs. Got bossed in the first half but turned it up in the second, hope they go far. 3-0 up but it still wouldn't surprise me if they did a Spurs in the second leg, hopefully not.

Eutyphro

Disappointing result for Ajax, but I'm still proud that they could dominate against Real Madrid. They should've won, but they did not have the luck, and Real always has that experience with winning that helps them out, even if they are outclassed. Going to be extremely difficult to beat Real with two goals or more at the Bernabeu, but it's not impossible either. If you can dominate Real like this then you can beat them by two goals if you have the right luck, which was clearly lacking yesterday.

Girish
On 2/11/2019 at 8:21 AM, Jason said:

Read some comments from Chelsea fans that aint wrong. Sarri is the third manager now to question the motivation/desire of the current crop of players. Sarri's stubbornness has not helped him out at all but the problem definitely goes deeper.

The Chelsea squad almost give up mid season if they aint liking the current manager cause they know they'll have a new one next season.

The board is to be blamed for that and I don't think there's going to be any change unless there's a drastic shuffle of the board itself. Our success in the past decade is turning out to be our own downfall. The board/fans have gotten used to winning trophies and competing at the top in the PL, so even a season outside the top 4 is deemed a failure and puts the manager on the chopping block. As long as this mentality persists, no manager will be given time to truly build his own team. It's almost a certainty now that no manager will last more than 2-3 seasons here.

As for Sarri, I personally don't have a problem with Sarri-ball. When it works, it's fun to watch. But when it doesn't, it's really painful. So far, Sarri seems to be a one-dimensional manager with no backup plan. His entire gameplan revolves around Jorginho dictating play from the midfield. But when teams take Jorginho out of the game by sheer strength in numbers, there is no plan B to fall back on and that's where we're getting found out by the opposition. Sarri can complain as much as he wants about the current squad not understanding his football but he's stuck with them till the end of the season and if he doesn't figure a way out soon, he will be gone before the start of the next season. Although, I do hope that he gets one more season to prove that he can hack it in the PL. Not sure if the board will be that patient though.