3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Banks.

...::[The Footy Desk]::... (Part 2)

Laker23

McTominay is somebody who I don't see ever becoming anything more than a 'bit' player, maybe I'm being too harsh but I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he'll develop into something special, but still plenty of time.

I expect Pereira to leave relatively soon, probably in the summer now. I still have hopes for Fred. He's shown glimpses of the player he could be, but has found it really difficult to adjust to the league, which is understandable. He's certainly not the 'flop' I've heard rival fans calling him, but I'd expect nothing less.

Onto another note, hopefully Higuain can follow in the footsteps of big name striker signings for Chelsea that flop. They've been absolutely horrendous recently with Hazard playing up top.

Rotary

Jardim is back at monaco, what in the actual f*ck.

Laker23

Great win last night, always a love a win at the Emirates. 8 in a row now for Ole, the impact he's made has been quite remarkable.

Best I've seen Lukaku play for a while, too. Held the ball up well and got himself two assists for the night. Hoping for an easier draw for the next round so I can see some of our young blood again.

Wolver_321
17 hours ago, Rotary said:

Jardim is back at monaco, what in the actual f*ck.

Monaco's downfall is just incredible! Just 2 years ago we faced them in the UCL Semifinals and now they're in 19th place in a championship that shouldn't be too hard for them. But I guess that's what happens when you sell your best players and you don't replace them, and I still don't know why. AS Monaco is probably one of the few clubs in very good "conditions", they're rich and their headquarters and stadium are located in the Principate of Monaco, which has a lower taxation than France.

At this point I'd say that they don't even know what to do, but in this way they're only going down in Ligue 2.

Incredible how a manager-swap changed United! I wasn't so sure about Ole when they've announced him but again Sir Alex got it right. BTW PSG got unlucky again in the UCL, when they drew United they seemed happy but now, for me, there's a 51%-49% situation.

Jason

I think if Ole and the team get a big performance against Liverpool/City/PSG then he gets the job now. Tactically he's approaching big away games exactly how we should given the teams current strengths and weaknesses - and the clubs traditions and history - and we're seeing the results because of that. His tactical ability was the major question mark hanging over him and he's knocking it out the park so far.

That said, it will be interesting to see how we react when our form dips which it obviously will at some point.

Wolver_321

Wow, United got "lucky" again, another trip to London! 16 teams, just 3 big clubs... I actually don't remember The FA Cup being so poor of Premier League teams at this stage, there are lots of League 1 and Championship sides this year and there's still hope for League 2 aswell with Newport (who'll face Man City if they go through the last 16).

Waiting for the replay match against Shrewsbury, we could potentially go against Bristol City. In theory it should be easy, but with small teams we've never played so well this season. Considering that in the quarter finals probably there'll just be 2 big teams remaining, I'd try to take advantage of this particular year, the FA Cup isn't just a trophy, it is also a way to access directly to the UEL group stage without even doing the play-offs.

Laker23

Chelsea. -___-

Actually fancy us to do well against them (famous last words) but was really hoping for an easy draw so I can see some of the youngsters again.

On another note it looks like Neymar will miss both legs of the CL game against us if the reports in France are to be believed. Guy always seems to get injured around this time of the year since joining PSG.

Jason

Yea I was hoping for an easy home game to see some youngsters too, think a lot of fans are chomping at the bit to see Mason Greenwood make his first team debut.

Two away games against top 6 teams is crazy really, we'll probably get City away next round if we go through at this rate. But, I do think we can beat Chelsea, I really don't rate them highly this season despite them just about being in the top 4 still, I think Sarri's so far been a bit of a flop who is fourth only cause United suffered a full blown meltdown. We've got a crazy run of games next month though I believe, PSG over two legs, Chelsea, City, all within a close span of each other. Oof.

Crokey

I'm actually hoping for Newport Town... mainly because Middlesbrough are a bleeding bogey side.

Wolver_321

Out from Coppa Italia at the quarter finals, Atalanta 3-0 Juventus... The treble dream is already gone.

Chiellini is out, Bonucci won't play for at least 1 month and the UCL is coming and if we play like the last weeks we're going to be annihilated by Atletico. I think we'll have to enjoy just a Scudetto this year, it'd be funny if we'll win less than the last year with Ronaldo on our side 😫

Unexpected results also in the Prem I see, Liverpool haven't killed the championship and the "glorious" SarriBall failed miserably. Thank god that Spurs won, at least we've mantained the 7th place. 

Tchuck
On 1/29/2019 at 6:05 AM, Laker23 said:

In another note it looks like Neymar will miss both legs of the CL game against us if the reports in France are to be believed. Guy always seems to get injured around this time of the year since joining PSG.

I wonder if he will finally take recovery seriously this time around. Last year he was enjoying his life after the injury, hosting parties, playing footie with friends...

Already the media in Brazil is preparing for his come back as a hero. When Ronaldo got his nearly career-ending knee injury in 2001, he focused on recovery and came back to lead Brazil to their 5th World Cup. And went on to star for Real Madrid. Guy became an icon in perseverance. 

Now Neymar's managers will be trying to do the same. Absolutely ridiculous.

Laker23
2 hours ago, Tchuck said:

I wonder if he will finally take recovery seriously this time around. Last year he was enjoying his life after the injury, hosting parties, playing footie with friends...

Already the media in Brazil is preparing for his come back as a hero. When Ronaldo got his nearly career-ending knee injury in 2001, he focused on recovery and came back to lead Brazil to their 5th World Cup. And went on to star for Real Madrid. Guy became an icon in perseverance. 

Now Neymar's managers will be trying to do the same. Absolutely ridiculous.

He definitely didn't look 100% at the World Cup. He went to PSG to try and win the CL and make a real legacy doing it and he's basically been injured nearly every time it comes to the important stage of the competition. He needs to fully recover without any doubt this time, but as you said I doubt it will happen.

As for the midweek games, what the actual f*ck was that. I had a feeling we'd mess up against Burnley after I saw the line-up, but now it doesn't look so bad with City losing, Liverpool drawing but mostly importantly Chelsea getting absolutely dicked on by Bournemouth, who were without their best striker.

Spurs just about did it, two games in a row where they've left it extremely late. I'm quietly confident for the first time about our top 4 chances. Arsenal go from good to bad, Spurs still look pretty dodgy with the injuries they have and Chelsea have been in freefall. 

Edited by Laker23

Jason

I don't get Sarri at all. It's actually incredible how simple it is to counter his whole system, did no one man mark Jorginho for Napoli or something? It's mad, it's so simple to stop Chelsea playing and then you just hit them on the counter cause Jorginho and David Luiz can't defend.

Edited by Jason

Wolver_321
3 hours ago, Jason said:

I don't get Sarri at all. It's actually incredible how simple it is to counter his whole system, did no one man mark Jorginho for Napoli or something? It's mad, it's so simple to stop Chelsea playing and then you just hit them on the counter cause Jorginho and David Luiz can't defend.

I've never been a Sarri supporter, but I have to admit that the quality of football that Napoli showed last year was very high. Of him I've never liked how he managed substitutions (Napoli played basically with the same 14 players) and his mentality that isn't the best for a top club.

Maybe his "Sarri Ball" worked just here in Italy, our football is very slow and full of tacticism, surely very boring to watch compared to the English style but quite effective in Europe recently. In Serie A smaller teams when they're facing against top clubs the majority of times play just for a draw. In this scenario his style of football is just perfect, but in the Prem, where even smaller teams try to steal the 3 points, it fails miserably.

Also remember that Sarri became someone just since a few years, before he was the manager of smaller clubs in Serie B and Serie C so he doesn't have so much experience compared to other colleagues. 

Girish

I'm willing to give Sarri a pass this season even if we don't make the top 4. His rigidness is not being helped by the fact that we don't have a half-decent forward and Hazard seems to have pretty much made up his mind to leave. I don't think Higuain is going to work here; seems to me like he's going to end up the same as Falcao/Pato. We need some really good buys in the summer to bolster both defense and attack. If we don't get our targets and Sarri continues making the same mistakes, I'm afraid he would be packing his bags well before December.

Wolver_321

Yeah, a 4th place would be a good result especially considering that it's his first year at Chelsea, but I don't know if he'll be able to leave Arsenal and United behind.

Higuain joined Chelsea just because of Sarri probably, they both had good times at Napoli. Is he ready for a tough championship like the Prem? Probably not, but I'd like to be denied. He got too much critics during these years IMO, in Serie A he scored lots of important goals and even in UCL with Juve he saved us more and more times (like the 2nd leg against Tottenham at Wembley).

Eutyphro

Liverpool really missing players like Henderson, Wijnaldum and Oxlade-Chamberlain. They were very mediocre in midfield today. Furthermore, Salah is nowhere near what he was previous season. I don't see Liverpool becoming champions playing like this. Meanwhile City seem to be picking up, and Tottenham is a title candidate, though Kane is out until march.

Jason

Cracks starting to show up in Merseyside, Klopp is becomingly increasingly easy to wind up. It's a shame Pep isn't the mindgames type cause the pressure Klopp and his players is under is so f*cking big that I think there's a potential for a complete meltdown somewhere if they drop behind City in the table.

In United news, I really don't know why we shipped Fellaini out midseason. Our midfield depth is shocking and Pogba, Herrera and Matic can't play every single game unless we want our midfield to be gassed by the hour mark every match.

Laker23

I usually don't like to be too critical of the linesmen during games, as I know the job they do isn't as easy as it seems most of the time. However, the linesman should be demoted a league or two for a few weeks after a performance like that. Milner clearly standing offside and he's looking directly at it up close, does nothing and they score from it. To make matters worse he also failed to flag Origi, who was again clearly offside right at the death which could have easily won the game for them, and probably would have if that player was Salah.

Nice to see them starting to feel the pressure, a draw was the least West Ham deserved last night.

Eutyphro

Yes, West Ham got loads of chances in the first half and could've easily won were it not for the monumental blunder by the linesman.

Wolver_321

Wait, Wimbledon takes place in July I'm quite sure of th... Oh, it was a football match, sorry! So 6 points don't count as 1 set, right?

After have read and seen so many articles and journalists talking about Sarri as a "revolutionary manager" I'm quite happy to see the downfall of his style of football. For me he's just a manager who used to be the coach of low-mid Italian teams that has been pushed up by medias in a very big club like Chelsea.

Anyway good for us, we could reduce the gap to "just" 9 points tomorrow 😀

(That maybe could become 6 in the next round)

(That maybe could become 3 in the next next round)

(That maybe could become 0 in the next next next round, with Wolves overtaking Chelsea)

Yes, I'm dreaming. Goodnight everyone!

Jason

In hindsight, it really was stupid to hire a manager who's only had success with 1 club and that success was finishing 2nd in the league. Sarri is completely out of his depth in the Premier League IMO.

Laker23
On 12/18/2018 at 9:37 PM, Laker23 said:

According to most reports Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be put in interim charge until the end of the season, pretty happy with that and absolutely love the guy. This season is pretty much a write off, so as long as I can enjoy watching the team play a better style of football I don't mind what happens for the rest of the year.

😂

A lot has changed, more than I could have ever imagined.

Literally had to refresh my page a few times when I saw it was 3-0 after 20 minutes today, thought my phone was glitching. 

Big couple of weeks coming up now, PSG, Chelsea and then Liverpool in the league. Cavani looks like he's been added to PSG's injury list, also think Verratti is struggling. Really looking forward to it after dreading it when the draw was first announced. 

Crokey

Looks like we may have Pensioned off Maurizio #SarriNotSarri

Jason

Read some comments from Chelsea fans that aint wrong. Sarri is the third manager now to question the motivation/desire of the current crop of players. Sarri's stubbornness has not helped him out at all but the problem definitely goes deeper.

The Chelsea squad almost give up mid season if they aint liking the current manager cause they know they'll have a new one next season.

TheSantader25

I wonder how many goals City have scored in the first 5 minutes this season. They really f*ck you up right from the beginning. 

Anyways I'm a Barca fan and here we go again. The important part of the season is coming and we're flopping like every season. Can't wait to get knocked out of the UCL in the quarter finals. Sigh. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Eutyphro

Sucks for Barca that Arthur and Umtiti are injured. With both of them fit they're a great team and a favorite for the Champions League win. Anyway, just thank god for every season of Messi's career. The real struggle for Barca will start in the post Messi era.

Jason

Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig game tonight for so many reasons. Bit nervous.

Lose and it could dent our belief going into a really mad month of games which could cost us top 4, win and who knows what could happen. PSG are weakened but Mbappe is still absolutely lethal and Di Maria will probably feel he has a point to prove even though his reasons for failing at United are entirely self conflicted.

Tchuck

PSG without both Cavani and Neymar... I can see United getting a win. 

Well, nope. It looks like Di Maria really wanted to show up United. Two assists. Yeahhh...

Jason

Well that sucks. Our gameplan went out the window when we lost Martial and Lingard at half time, PSG just went for it after that because our counter was dead, they got two goals and then just saw it out. Can't moan about that, just unlucky, we were in the game till half time.

The ref had a shocker though. Can't moan about Pogba getting two yellows but if Pogba deserved two then Kimpembe should've been off before he scored the first goal. Shocking refereeing.

In the end it shows our lack of depth compared to PSG's and that we're still not at that level yet. They lost Cavani and Neymar and still look top class, we lose Martial and Lingard and look sh*te. They also had midfield options, we which also don't have.